PDA

View Full Version : We need more guys like Paul Thompson

Biggnick15
12/20/2011, 02:37 PM
True team players that will play whatever position the coaches ask and put the team above themselves. I want Players that dont transfer just because they aren't starting by their sophomore year. I want players that use their anger to motivate theselves to work harder and get better. Hopefully we can get some more guys like Paul in the program.

kevpks
12/20/2011, 02:43 PM
We also need more guys like Sam Bradford, Gresham, Gerald McCoy, Tommie Harris, Rufus Alexander, Teddy Lehman, Dusty Dvoracek, Adrian Peterson, and DeMarco Murray (immensely talented team first guys).

Biggnick15
12/20/2011, 02:51 PM
Definitely.

badger
12/20/2011, 03:20 PM
I wish the ENA story had a happier ending, but if you just stop with the Big 12 title, it sounded like a storybook story to tell the kids around the fireplace:

Once upon a time, an immensely talented quarterback went to OU. He had to wait for years behind a Heisman trophy quarterback, but knew his time would come if he was patient.

Then, when he finally got his opportunity, he was told he would no longer be the starter, but had to give up his spot to a freshman. Instead of quitting or complaining, the quarterback became a wide receiver to help his team out in any way he could.

Then, one season later, he was given the opportunity to lead the Sooners at quarterback once again, and he did. Not only that, but while the Longhorns embarrassed themselves on national television with a home loss to the inferior Texas A&M Aggies, this quarterback led OU to a win on the road over Oklahoma State, leading to a Big 12 South title.

Finally, this quarterback helped OU win the Big 12 Championship. His hard work, patience and selfless attitude had paid off.

THE END

SoonerAtKU
12/20/2011, 04:19 PM
I wish the ENA story had a happier ending, but if you just stop with the Big 12 title, it sounded like a storybook story to tell the kids around the fireplace:

Once upon a time, an immensely talented quarterback went to OU. He had to wait for years behind a Heisman trophy quarterback, but knew his time would come if he was patient.

Then, when he finally got his opportunity, he was told he would no longer be the starter, but had to give up his spot to a freshman. Instead of quitting or complaining, the quarterback became a wide receiver to help his team out in any way he could.

Then, one season later, he was given the opportunity to lead the Sooners at quarterback once again, and he did. Not only that, but while the Longhorns embarrassed themselves on national television with a home loss to the inferior Texas A&M Aggies, this quarterback led OU to a win on the road over Oklahoma State, leading to a Big 12 South title.

Finally, this quarterback helped OU win the Big 12 Championship. His hard work, patience and selfless attitude had paid off.

THE END

P.S. and then he helps some scruffy nobody in a blue shirt get on the cover of NCAA 2008.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 04:39 PM
My memory has faded, but I feel it is hard to fault ENA for that episode.

TUSooner
12/20/2011, 04:44 PM
My memory has faded, but I feel it is hard to fault ENA for that episode.

Yep. No way do I blame Paul for that fiasco. And yes, we DO need more guys like him.

B1rd
12/20/2011, 04:50 PM
His 99.5 yard drive against the Bugeaters to win the Big XII was a thing of beauty. I will forever be grateful for that.

Widescreen
12/20/2011, 05:24 PM
We need guys with PT's attitude and Sam Bradford's talent. Note to Stoops: Go get about 50 of those guys. Go!

70sooner
12/20/2011, 09:00 PM
His 99.5 yard drive against the Bugeaters to win the Big XII was a thing of beauty. I will forever be grateful for that.

THIS!~ He cemented himself in Sooner folklore with that one. Hitting Gresham on that critical 3rd and 10 for a 35 yard gain was the dagger in the hearts of Nebbish....

oumartin
12/20/2011, 09:10 PM
Yep, I'm almost outta my amway.

goingoneight
12/20/2011, 10:31 PM
I know a former Nebbish player who said the 35-yarder to Gresham was single-handedly THE moment that the locker room divided on the ole throat slasher Callahan. He said that was a demoralizing bust and if he had to go back to one moment that just broke that staff and team's back, it was that one. He said he knew OU was "gonna bust a big play for a score eventually after that..." and that he "kinda felt like something like that was gonna happen all game long."

Interesting. The bowl game that year and the following season it looked like everyone except for Joe Ganz had quit on BC.

MyT Oklahoma
12/21/2011, 01:10 AM
Paul Thompson was indeed a team player and yes that 2006 Big 12 Championship Game was worth every freezing cold moment to watch it at Arrowhead.

SoonerTerry
12/21/2011, 08:38 AM
ENA is one of my all time favorite sooners.

SoonerTerry
12/21/2011, 08:53 AM

THE END

I've told my son this story many times

Jason White's Third Knee
12/21/2011, 09:48 AM

THE END

Ah. I love that story.

badger
12/21/2011, 10:15 AM
And when your child says "Mommy, what's that section titled 'ep-ee-log-ee?'" You tear those last few pages outta the storybook, you eat them or set them on fire and you say "THE END" even more emphatically :)

delhalew
12/21/2011, 11:46 AM
For this reason, I buy the idea that some of these transfers were invited to take their Rivals rated abilities and matching attitude elsewhere.

Biggnick15
12/21/2011, 11:49 AM
What does ENA stand for??

delhalew
12/21/2011, 11:51 AM
What does ENA stand for??

D'oht!

Mad Dog Madsen
12/21/2011, 11:58 AM

THE END

This whole "story" made me laugh. Thanks badger.

Oh, and don't forget to mention that mighty OSU team went 6-6 that year.

badger
12/21/2011, 12:02 PM
This whole "story" made me laugh. Thanks badger.

Oh, and don't forget to mention that mighty OSU team went 6-6 that year.

I was in Rocky Top at the time visiting the mom of my brother's wife... thank goodness they didn't make NP and I go sight-see instead of watch football!

You've been here awhile, so you might recall that this was in the previous era of vBookie, when there was actually a big vBet about OU winning the Big 12, since there was no chance in hell of it happening. We needed stupid, incompetent Dennis Fran Fran to beat UT in Austin and those always fired up Pokes that play the game of their lives against those darn gooners in Stillwater. It was a lethal combination... and we'd still need to beat Nebrasky even if all of the cards fell into place.

OSU, the masters of the dropped-touchdown-pass-that-would-have-beat-the-gooners, did just that. Then, A&M somehow, some way, beats whorn 12-7. I mean, WTF?!?!?!

So long as you add with an emphatic THE END after we beat Nebraska, it's really an amazing story how everything fell into place for Paul to get his championship moment.

MrJimBeam
12/21/2011, 12:10 PM
His 99.5 yard drive against the Bugeaters to win the Big XII was a thing of beauty. I will forever be grateful for that.One of the great drives in Sooner history.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/21/2011, 12:15 PM

That's back when we actually threw to the TE huh? Ahh, the good ol' days.

Lott's Bandana
12/21/2011, 01:23 PM
He's a pooh-bah with Amway now.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Salt City Sooner
12/21/2011, 05:19 PM
I was in Rocky Top at the time visiting the mom of my brother's wife... thank goodness they didn't make NP and I go sight-see instead of watch football!

You've been here awhile, so you might recall that this was in the previous era of vBookie, when there was actually a big vBet about OU winning the Big 12, since there was no chance in hell of it happening. We needed stupid, incompetent Dennis Fran Fran to beat UT in Austin and those always fired up Pokes that play the game of their lives against those darn gooners in Stillwater. It was a lethal combination... and we'd still need to beat Nebrasky even if all of the cards fell into place.

OSU, the masters of the dropped-touchdown-pass-that-would-have-beat-the-gooners, did just that. Then, A&M somehow, some way, beats whorn 12-7. I mean, WTF?!?!?!

So long as you add with an emphatic THE END after we beat Nebraska, it's really an amazing story how everything fell into place for Paul to get his championship moment.
Don't forget, UT also had to lose to KSU the game before they lost to A&M, or we STILL wouldn't have won the south.

People always make fun of OU's "choke jobs" in bowl games, but they on a large scale tend to forget that more than once, it was UT gagging it up every bit as much (if not more so) that got OU into those games in the first place.

badger
12/21/2011, 05:24 PM
:( rather than remembering the choke jobs, can't we just end the story with the big 12 titles? You know, emphatic "THE END?"

Biggnick15
12/22/2011, 12:07 AM
No one answered my question about what ENA stands for. Someone help me out.

oumartin
12/22/2011, 12:18 AM

I hope you are kidding.

olevetonahill
12/22/2011, 12:29 AM
While Yall are at it Tell me where i can get a Boomer Sooner ring tone
TIA

Lott's Bandana
12/22/2011, 01:29 AM

Do a Where's Waldo on this page.

http://www.soonerfans.com/faq.php?faq=soonerfans_faq

Best I choose to do.

Biggnick15
12/23/2011, 01:28 AM
That's a really stupid acronymn

sooneredaco
12/24/2011, 01:27 AM
Why do they call him AP when his initials are AD? Oh.. I effed that up sorry!

sooneredaco
12/24/2011, 02:21 AM
That's a really stupid acronymn

I think it's quite appropriate

budbarrybob
12/24/2011, 06:21 AM
He was a Don Key award winner for a reason!