PDA

View Full Version : QB Next Year

KantoSooner
12/20/2011, 12:41 PM
Let's suppose that Landry goes pro. Not saying he should. Not saying I want him to. Not railing against such a decision.
Just supposing.
We know that Drew Allen is a pure pocket passer kind of guy. And that he's pretty good. And would improve with more reps, yadda yadda.
What kind of passer is Blake Bell? He didn't show much from the Belldozer formation, but let's be fair, that wasn't set up to be a passing formation.
He has the size, mobility and strength to be a Pryor or Newton kind of guy, maybe. Does anyone have an educated opinion about his passing ability at the college level? (all these guys look like Peyton Manning in high school)

badger
12/20/2011, 12:52 PM
We could do the Texas thing and play two quarterbacks! Crap... baaad example. We could do this!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2622/3702358887_444bb2c44f.jpg

It worked out for Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. You had the goalline scrambler and the more-tenured guy taking a majority of the snaps.

SoonerTerry
12/20/2011, 01:02 PM
Let's suppose that Landry goes pro. Not saying he should. Not saying I want him to. Not railing against such a decision.
Just supposing.
We know that Drew Allen is a pure pocket passer kind of guy. And that he's pretty good. And would improve with more reps, yadda yadda.
What kind of passer is Blake Bell? He didn't show much from the Belldozer formation, but let's be fair, that wasn't set up to be a passing formation.
He has the size, mobility and strength to be a Pryor or Newton kind of guy, maybe. Does anyone have an educated opinion about his passing ability at the college level? (all these guys look like Peyton Manning in high school)

I'd like to see what Bell could do in a full game.

sooneredaco
12/20/2011, 01:21 PM
We need a pocket passer. We have no TE's or RB's

Neath a Western Sky
12/20/2011, 01:48 PM

Whoo, ouch! Regarding Drew Allen, I seem to recall that he is a good runner--not perhaps the sensational threat Bell is, but how many are--and much more athletic overall than Landry. Can someone correct or confirm this?

sooneredaco
12/20/2011, 02:07 PM
I can neither deny nor confirm

SoonerorLater
12/20/2011, 02:10 PM

Amen. I imagine that Bob Stoops is trying to figure out some way to go to a six wide receiver set about now. Based on what little I have seen on film Blake Bell has some work to do on his throwing mechanics. It's really hard given our personnel to think Blake Bell would be the every down QB. We'll see.

SoonerMarkVA
12/20/2011, 02:21 PM
I seem to recall comments about Bell during recruiting that he did not have sufficient ability in the passing game. He had only played QB a short time, and his game was just to put the team on his back and win it. He had such exceptional physical skills that the thought was to get him in and build up his passing game. I have no idea how far along that project is. The two times he did try to pass weren't very inspiring, but that could have been any number of issues other than just "he still can't pass".

If they can train Bell up to be a sufficient passer (can he really be any worse than Vince Young was to start?), then I really hope they go that route. I'd like to see a Bell, Ripkowski, and Millard power backfield, with just enough pass thrown in there to keep the defense honest. 3 yards and a cloud of dust sounds pretty good about now.

picasso
12/20/2011, 02:34 PM
Are we already ruling out Kendall Thompson? Jim Donnan was quoted as saying he thinks he'll be a star.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2011, 02:45 PM
If LJ moves on, I think the competition is wide open. Bell's role this year was not really applicable to the starting QB job outside of getting snaps in critical game situations.

JiminyChristmas
12/20/2011, 02:58 PM
We cannot and will not win a NC with a pure pocket passer. A college QB must be able to make at least a few plays per game with his legs too.

Go back and watch Josh in 2000. You might find that you've forgotten just how often he did that. He doesn't have to be a freak of nature like Cam or Vince, but he can't be a statue like Landry either.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/20/2011, 03:04 PM
We cannot and will not win a NC with a pure pocket passer. A college QB must be able to make at least a few plays per game with his legs too.

Go back and watch Josh in 2000. You might find that you've forgotten just how often he did that. He doesn't have to be a freak of nature like Cam or Vince, but he can't be a statue like Landry either.

Exactly. Josh had positive rushing yards on the season and actually outrushed Florida St. in the BCS title game if I recall correctly. Of course, Oklahoma's defense had something to do with the latter, but the point still stands.

rock on sooner
12/20/2011, 03:21 PM
If LJ moves on, I think the competition is wide open. Bell's role this year was not really applicable to the starting QB job outside of getting snaps in critical game situations. My guess is and
several "experts" think that LJ comes back. That said, there's plenty of time for Bell to be coached up if LJ does turn
pro. I'm sure that Stoops has film on K St's Klein, who rushed for over 1000 yds and passed for around 2000, I think.
After all, the Belldozer came from Snyder. That power backfield would be formidable, for a while. Defenses would
catch up quickly. Full time attention from Heupel works wonders.

StoopTroup
12/20/2011, 04:18 PM
Amen. I imagine that Bob Stoops is trying to figure out some way to go to a six wide receiver set about now. Based on what little I have seen on film Blake Bell has some work to do on his throwing mechanics. It's really hard given our personnel to think Blake Bell would be the every down QB. We'll see.

I never saw Blake drop back in the pocket comfortably and not look like he wasn't ready to drop a Duece and take off running. Maybe they never put him in more than a "Drop back, look for Hanna and if he's not there follow your blocking and try not to lose any yardage."?

It would have been cool if we had seen him used more in passing situations but I really only remember them doing the drop back see if you have an open guy and take off running scenario.