PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Ohio State and the NCAA

badger
12/20/2011, 12:31 PM
At 2 p.m. Oklahoma time today, the NCAA is expected to announce what punishment, if any, THE Ohio State University receive for blatant disregard of the rules under sweater vest this past decade.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20111220_231_0_COLUMB392109)

In a nutshell:

Ohio State has offered to vacate the 2010 season, return its share of bowl money, go on probation and accept minor recruiting restrictions, costing it five scholarships over the next three years. The NCAA could add to those penalties, possibly piling on more recruiting restrictions or even a bowl ban.

I do think that tOSU deserves to get more punishment than their suggested equivalent of "no broccoli for a month." They have enjoyed a lot of winning recently, and simply returning bowl money (they are money pit athletic department like Texas), limiting a few scholarships and a probation tag isn't going to change the fact that they got to have this moment last bowl season when they shouldn't have:

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2011/01/04/sp-sugarbowl05_P_0502776752.jpg

The only way to ensure that big money big time programs like tOSU don't blatantly overlook the fact that they are playing ineligible players in order to win above all, eff the rulebook, is to take away that moment from a future tOSU team. Yes, they deserve a bowl ban, because they should have given those players a bowl ban but didn't, so they need to trade one bowl moment that they shouldn't have had:

http://www.laminatedvisuals.com/images/college-ohio-state-buckeyes-plaque-mounted-laminated-newspaper-BF76.jpg

For another in the future that they would otherwise have earned.

Just my two cents. I would of course love to see them get even more punishment. It was funny to see a once-mighty program go 6-6. It will be funnier to see them do it under Corch Irvin Meyers Go Gata

OULenexaman
12/20/2011, 12:36 PM
this should be interesting...

OU_Sooners75
12/20/2011, 01:01 PM
IMO, the coach flat out lying about the eligibility of the players and the OSU athletic department not catching it speaks worse than anything USC did handling the Reggie Bush fiasco!

That said....

If I was handing down the punishment:
* 5 year probation (starting 2012)
* 2 year bowl ban (starting 2012)
* Reduction of scholarships; 23 in three years (8, 8, 7)
* Recruiting restrictions: reduced off campus recruiting for the program.
* 2 year TV ban. No games televised 2013 and 2014 (sans bowl game in 2014).

SoonerTerry
12/20/2011, 01:05 PM
I thought it was pretty damn weak when Ostate let Pryor play the bowl game. Whatever they do it will be to little to late IMO.

badger
12/20/2011, 01:27 PM
I would love to see the weeping and nashing of teeth of Ohio State getting a TV ban... but would that ever happen in college football ever again? There's too much money for others at stake. Teams want to be on TV for recruiting, for their fans, for MONEY, for MORE MONEY, and most of all, MONEY.

Can you ban Ohio State from TV without also banning their opponents? Hmm...

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3386/ohiostate.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/ohiostate.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 01:33 PM
I'm predicting we will all be disgusted by 2:30CST.

badger
12/20/2011, 01:35 PM
I'm predicting we will all be disgusted by 2:30CST.

We weren't disappointed when they ban hammer'd USC, were we?

Come on, NCAA! Show them you still have some semblance of control in this outta control college sports world!

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 01:41 PM
Irvin trumps Lane.

Also, it was the NCAA that allowed Pryor-convictions to play in that Bowl game. They're gonna get tough now?

badger
12/20/2011, 01:43 PM
Irvin trumps Lane.

Also, it was the NCAA that allowed Pryor-convictions to play in that Bowl game. They're gonna get tough now?

So I don't show my parents that I got an F on my report card, so they let me go do something fun on the weekend... think they'll get tough on me after they discover that I got an F? :D

That is not a true story, but I am quite guilty of hiding info from parents over the years, as I'm sure we all are. If they don't need to know that I had to stay inside for recess because I didn't do my homework, then I don't need to tell them :P

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 01:46 PM
You confused me, but I like your story.

badger
12/20/2011, 01:50 PM
You confused me, but I like your story.

Ohio State withheld information (or as they'll say -- THE COACH THAT WE FIRED withheld info, not us!) that would have caused the NCAA to declare Pryor et al ineligible and thus, the NCAA declared him eligible for the Sugar Bowl.

Much like a parent would likely heap even more punishment on a child for withholding information on misbehavior at school rather than being honest up-front, I would expect the NCAA to treat this as a blatant cover-up attempt, not simply a rules violation as it originally was.

OULenexaman
12/20/2011, 01:54 PM
I changed an F to a B once.....true story....and it didn't end well.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 02:00 PM
Ohio State withheld information (or as they'll say -- THE COACH THAT WE FIRED withheld info, not us!) that would have caused the NCAA to declare Pryor et al ineligible and thus, the NCAA declared him eligible for the Sugar Bowl.

Much like a parent would likely heap even more punishment on a child for withholding information on misbehavior at school rather than being honest up-front, I would expect the NCAA to treat this as a blatant cover-up attempt, not simply a rules violation as it originally was.

Here's my take:

The most powerful man in college sports is Jim Delany. He is the commissioner of the conference that relies on the prominence of tOSU every year...for national recognition, for the tOSU/Meatchicken rivalry, for Rose Bowl appearances.

This man single-handedly has kept any real talk of a playoff from gaining any ground among his peers with his simple threats to take his ball and go home.

I am not a brilliant man, but I KNOW Commish Delany has been whispering loudly in the NCAA's ear for months to go easy on his cash-cow.

I hope I'm wrong. We'll see. I'd stake my vStake on a light sentence.

OULenexaman
12/20/2011, 02:03 PM
Pokes took alll mine.....I'm on vWelfare.

badger
12/20/2011, 02:09 PM
Pokes took alll mine.....I'm on vWelfare.

vAdvice: Get yourself vBetting on the events as they're posted, because I'm posting separate stuff for each bowl game, so you're gonna get a new 500 vAllowance every time I post a new event, so long as you have less than 500.

So anyways, the OU women play tonight... vBet it all on that and even if you lose, you'll get 500 more soon, I promise

OULenexaman
12/20/2011, 02:14 PM
so it's like a vStimulus package....with vTrillions to just pi$$ away.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 02:16 PM
1 year bowl ban (next season)
4 schollys lost to add to 5 tOSU self-imposed
3 year probation

badger
12/20/2011, 02:19 PM
1 year bowl ban (next season)
4 schollys lost to add to 5 tOSU self-imposed
3 year probation

You read that somewhere, or is that you prediction?

EDIT: I saw the bowl ban, didn't see the rest yet

badger
12/20/2011, 02:21 PM
Linky (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/12/ohio-state-ncaa-sanctions-jim-tressel-terrelle-pryor/1)

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 02:22 PM
I'd love to say it was my prediction. I'm considering this a medium penalty, but 1 year bowl ban is criminal, since they shouldn't have played their BCS bowl last year. To me, that's a wash and not enough.

CBSSPORTS.com

Posted by Adam Jacobi (http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/24156338/1?mcctag=Adam%20Jacobi)

Urban Meyer may have high hopes for his first season at Ohio State in 2012, but his team's first appearance in the postseason is going to have to wait until 2013 at the earliest. According to the Columbus Dispatch, Ohio State has been given a one-year ban from the postseason (http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stories/2011/12/20/ncaa-report.html), effective next year, by the NCAA. The NCAA also found Ohio State's offer of giving up five scholarships over three years inadequate, and will require that the Buckeyes give up nine scholarships over that period instead.
The sanctions stem from a litany of NCAA violations committed by various Buckeyes and ousted head coach Jim Tressel. Terrelle Pryor was one of the worst offenders, repeatedly receiving impermissible benefits and allegedly participating in a system where he traded signed memorabilia for free tattoos, and DeVier Posey was suspended for a total of 10 games in 2011 for multiple instances of receiving impermissible benefits.
Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith had said previously that he didn't anticipate a bowl ban for Ohio State, and Urban Meyer told reporters he had received "extremely positive feedback" about OSU's prospects before the NCAA.
Tressel was also given a show-cause penalty, according to the Dispatch, although it was not specified how long Tressel's punishment will last. The "show-cause" label means that the NCAA considers Tressel a serious offender, and any NCAA school interested in employing Tressel must show why it does not deserve sanctions for doing so.
The NCAA has not officially released its sanctions as yet, nor has Ohio State released an official statement about the punishment.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 02:24 PM
Tressel is blacklisted as well, but IDGAS about that. He has his $$$ in the bank already.

badger
12/20/2011, 02:33 PM
I bet tOSU didn't see this coming, or if they did, they didn't tell Urban when he interviewed :)

I can live with this, because they already "suffered" through a 6-6 season in the first year of the expanded Big Ten, lost to Meatchicken, will go to a substandard (for tOSU) bowl, which can be attributed to the loss of Tressel and Pryor, and won't be competing for the Big Ten title or the BCS title next season... which can be attributed to the NCAA.

I bet tOSU fans are melting down over this right about now. They probably though, like USC did, that they were untouchable.

OU_Sooners75
12/20/2011, 03:20 PM
So I don't show my parents that I got an F on my report card, so they let me go do something fun on the weekend... think they'll get tough on me after they discover that I got an F? :D

That is not a true story, but I am quite guilty of hiding info from parents over the years, as I'm sure we all are. If they don't need to know that I had to stay inside for recess because I didn't do my homework, then I don't need to tell them :P

????

So are you saying that Tressell didnt know about the ineligibility of his players? You saying OSU had no idea this was going on?

achiro
12/20/2011, 03:38 PM
Seems like a pretty minor slap on the wrist to me.

badger
12/20/2011, 03:51 PM
????

So are you saying that Tressell didnt know about the ineligibility of his players? You saying OSU had no idea this was going on?

I was saying that Jim Tressel knew more than he told the NCAA at the time to ensure that his star quarterback would be playing in the Sugar Bowl. Think Stoops was desperate for a BCS bowl win last year? Tressel was dying for a win over those SEC'ers that denied tOSU a BCS championship twice and was apparently more than willing to not tell the entire story to ensure that the NCAA declare Pryor eligible.

I am not sure how much tOSU knew at the time... compliance departments tend to do whatever they can cover their OWN arses, even at the expense of football wins and such, so I wouldn't put it past Tressel to not tell tOSU everything, either.

Jacie
12/20/2011, 05:33 PM
It may not seem like much to some but let's compare it to the most relevant case out there, SC.

Trojans went 10-2 this year and would have played in the inaugural Pac-12 championship game had they been eligible. With a win, they would have played in the Fiesta Bowl, a loss the Rose Bowl.

Should tOSU win the Leaders Division next year, they can expect a similar bowl forfeiture. Now that would be punishment. If they have another season like this year, it won't sting quite as much if they don't get an invite to the Gator Bowl . . .

OU_Sooners75
12/20/2011, 05:45 PM
I am not sure how much tOSU knew at the time... compliance departments tend to do whatever they can cover their OWN arses, even at the expense of football wins and such, so I wouldn't put it past Tressel to not tell tOSU everything, either.

I am about as naive as they get, but I am not so naive to believe that OSU knew nothing about it.

OU_Sooners75
12/20/2011, 05:47 PM
It may not seem like much to some but let's compare it to the most relevant case out there, SC.

Trojans went 10-2 this year and would have played in the inaugural Pac-12 championship game had they been eligible. With a win, they would have played in the Fiesta Bowl, a loss the Rose Bowl.

Should tOSU win the Leaders Division next year, they can expect a similar bowl forfeiture. Now that would be punishment. If they have another season like this year, it won't sting quite as much if they don't get an invite to the Gator Bowl . . .

Surely you are mistaken.

If USC was eligible for the PAC-12 championship game, and won, they would have been to the Rose Bowl and likely out of the BCS had they lost.

Why out? Because that would have made Oregon to the Rose, with Stanford being inside the top 4 and guaranteed a BCS Bowl at large.

IBleedCrimson
12/21/2011, 12:08 AM
Wow.

I know this isnt news to anyone, but: the NCAA is a JOKE.

Certain programs get gyno-raped and others get spooned. Big spoon, not little spoon.

wow.

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2011, 12:22 AM
I assume tOSU did not get slammed as bad as USC because they didn't stonewall the investigation for *years* as USC did. Compliance is self-monitored and reported, so refusing to cooperate once caught is as bad as the infractions themselves.

MyT Oklahoma
12/21/2011, 01:04 AM
The punishment was a joke for a number of reasons far too many to mention.

However, I would have seen the humor if every die hard OSU fan in Columbus would have been forced to display "In Tressel We Trust" on their bumper stickers for the next 10 years.

Now that would have been classic.

SoonerTerry
12/21/2011, 08:59 AM
This is one of the reasons I appreciate Stoops so much. When his starting QB did what he did Stoops booted his *** to the door and out the door. Wins are not more important than the integrity of the program.

OULenexaman
12/21/2011, 09:31 AM
I'm predicting we will all be disgusted by 2:30CST. you are a genius.....so are the Mayan's right??

badger
12/21/2011, 10:19 AM
The punishment was a joke for a number of reasons far too many to mention.

However, I would have seen the humor if every die hard OSU fan in Columbus would have been forced to display "In Tressel We Trust" on their bumper stickers for the next 10 years.

Now that would have been classic.

I did see ESPN get their panties wadded last night over the fact that USC had comparably more punishment for the actions of one player as opposed to tOSU's actions by multiple players and the then-coach.

There might have been a side agreement to not appeal with a lesser punishment, as some have eluded already to the relationship tOSU's admin has with the NCAA admins.

I just love the fact that they are essentially a non-factor for one season...

Oh WAIT! I can turn that into a joke! :D

I just love the fact that they are essentially a non-factor for one season... and then have to follow that up with another season of being non-factors! :D

6-6, buck nuts!

Ton Loc
12/21/2011, 12:06 PM
The bowl ban should be a bcs bowl ban. Getting to play in the BCS last year versus losing whatever crap bowl they get invited to next year is not the same.
I'd love to see them go 11-0 in a couple years and not get to play in the BCS Championship game.

Kadosh
12/21/2011, 08:18 PM
Wow.

I know this isnt news to anyone, but: the NCAA is a JOKE.

Certain programs get gyno-raped and others get spooned. Big spoon, not little spoon.

wow.

This...

Scott D
12/21/2011, 08:38 PM
If you rationally sit down and think about the two situations (fyi, never compare two cases in front of the NCAA you'll just drive yourself insane). Once the cat was out of the bag at the Ohio State Correctional Facility they complied/semi-complied, whichever version you want. On the other hand, USC (especially through Mike Garrett) stonewalled the NCAA at every opportunity they got, stalled things for as long as they could which would be years. That's what got Garrett fired and replaced with Pat Haden. OSCF fired Tressel and basically paid him off to be the fall guy (Whether or not the admin. knew or not is moot to be honest), whereas with USC, Pete Carroll just conveniently decided it was time to go back to the NFL ranks around the time the NCAA began sniffing about campus. In their case, they let the fall guy be a position coach that had knowledge of some of the payments Bush got.

So cliff notes version.... USC stalled and fought tooth and nail against the NCAA in an investigation. tOSU "cooperated" with the NCAA once the cat was out of the bag. It's pretty easy to see why the Suckeyes got the perceived "preferential treatment".

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2011, 09:56 PM
So cliff notes version.... USC stalled and fought tooth and nail against the NCAA in an investigation. tOSU "cooperated" with the NCAA once the cat was out of the bag. It's pretty easy to see why the Suckeyes got the perceived "preferential treatment".

Xactly. There is no way tOSU gets the same harsh treatment as 'SC and I think that is the way it should be. The Bush thing happened in '04 and they couldn't finish until '10 because of the obstruction. That cost the NCAA lots of time and $$. The tOSU came to light last season and was dealt with this season; big difference. And it wasn't just Reggie Bush; USC got the loss of institutional control tag. And when Bush was implicated in illegal recruitment of Joe McNight, McNight quietly declared early for the draft. There was a lot more going on at USC than just the Bush thing.