PDA

View Full Version : Mike Gundy was a candidate at Texas A&M?

badger
12/20/2011, 10:09 AM
A very interesting read.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?articleid=20111220_202_B1_ULNSka56016 )

According to this, OSU (aka athletic director Mike Holder) is slow-playing his hand against Gundy, not giving him a longterm extension like Gundy desires. It apparently irks the hairgeled one, especially since current underachieving low-attendance men's basketball is sucking:

It's the 10-year contract Holder awarded basketball coach Travis Ford after just one season that's stuck deep in Gundy's craw. Ford's accomplishments pale in comparison to those of Gundy, who just might be the Cowboys' best-ever football coach.

Only Holder can explain why he gave Ford that deal for a decade, while refusing to do the same for a coach who generates millions for OSU and has placed the football program on the national stage.

As for the Texas A&M thing:

"He should have taken that plane to Texas A&M," a source close to Gundy said Monday. "Then he should have returned to OSU, loaded up his staff and taken them with him."

Those sources, who are privy to Gundy's situation, insist he was a strong candidate for the A&M job, which eventually went to Houston coach Kevin Sumlin.

But once again, his love for his alma mater and his sincere wish to become an OSU "lifer" reportedly kept him from boarding that plane.

"He's too damn loyal," a source said.

Is Oklahoma State at risk of losing Mike Gundy? Should they care if they lose Mike Gundy? I think that another program would hire Gundy, especially when his stock is so high right now. I don't, however, think OSU would suddenly shrivel up and go 0-10-1 again if he left... they might do that even if he stays :stunned:

kbsooner21
12/20/2011, 10:20 AM
OSU is dumb as heck for not locking him up long term already. He's the best they'll ever get long term.

SoonerMarkVA
12/20/2011, 10:22 AM
Gundy's like the dependable girl you can hook up with between girlfriends. If that source's story is true, then Gundy needs to grow a spine. He didn't need to take the A&M job. He could have interviewed and kept tight-lipped, at least until the Sumlin announcement, and that should have put the fear in Holder (as in what Boone would do to him if Gundy bolted because of his inactions) to renegotiate quickly.

olevetonahill
12/20/2011, 10:29 AM
He dint Go cause hes STUPID . Plus the fact hes an aggy .
wait thats redundant aint it ?

colleyvillesooner
12/20/2011, 10:33 AM
If he was a serious candidate, it would have come out. BS.

SoonerTerry
12/20/2011, 10:37 AM
Was Holder the AD that lost the hatter?

rekamrettuB
12/20/2011, 10:47 AM
I've listened to SA and Traber a little lately and he's florred that nothing has been done yet. My initial thought was Ok State is trying to save some cash because they know Gundy wants to coach there and nowhere else. They could be making a huge long-term mistake. At some point Gundy will realize that this is no longer about allegiances...it's a business.

goingoneight
12/20/2011, 10:51 AM
Gundy wouldn't do the job elsewhere that he does at OSU. He got into coaching so that he could land his current job. Those who have ever listened to him talk know this. He's where he wants to be and he's there at just the right time with Nebraska gone, OU, Tech, A&M and Tejas all down right now. It's kinda like Snyder's first run at KSU.

sooneredaco
12/20/2011, 11:08 AM
IMO, there is no way he has the success at another program that he's had at OSU. It's his dream job. His whole recruiting success is wrapped up in the fact that he his at his alma mater and isn't going anywhere. And, in fact, he isn't. He's staying put, with or without an extension. They made him who he is with Boone's money and he knows it.

badger
12/20/2011, 11:29 AM
that should have put the fear in Holder (as in what Boone would do to him if Gundy bolted because of his inactions) to renegotiate quickly.

I wonder if Boone is the one pulling Holder's puppet strings on this, knowing that he can lowball loyal Gundy and not give him a lucrative longterm deal.

As for whether or not this was Boone's money at work and not Gundy's coaching... money is at work at every major program. Good for OSU for finally doing what everyone else already has done with their money... winning and stuff.

And while I tend to think that coaching rumors would have surfaced if Gundy was a serious candidate... the Aggies are batsh!t crazy and thus A&M was doing everything it could to not keep them (especially the internet aggies) informed. They're like Arkansas to another level.

badger
12/20/2011, 11:56 AM
I was hoping to share some dirt from OP.com on this, but all they're doing over there is closing threads involving Gundy's contract and b!tching about Travis Ford.

For a football school, they still care a lot about the fact that their basketball is being mediocre lately :stunned:

OULenexaman
12/20/2011, 12:03 PM
smells like Boone to me...

CowboyMRW
12/20/2011, 04:11 PM
This is being out to be a much bigger deal than what it actually is. The media is just looking for a story since Oklahoma sports are quite slow right now.

fwsooner22
12/20/2011, 04:16 PM
Maybe but it was reported down here in DFW weeks ago.

oufan1
12/20/2011, 04:16 PM
We sure spend alot of time talking about, historically, one of the worst teams in college football....

badger
12/20/2011, 05:04 PM
We sure spend alot of time talking about, historically, one of the worst teams in college football....

I know, but that's because this is funny :D

Here's another interesting read on the situation:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20111220_93_B1_CUTLIN906740)

After saying “I would prefer to keep that under wraps” and “I just don’t feel comfortable talking about contract negotiations,” Gundy relented and discussed his situation.

He's usually very good at shutting up about things, but it really sounds like he is irked at this:

Media dude: OSU has consecutive 11-win seasons. Does that help you in further contract negotiations?
Gundy: Obviously not.

Media: After a Big 12 championship season, a Bedlam victory and an Eddie Robinson national coach of the year award, why would this negotiation linger into Fiesta Bowl preparations?
Gundy: I can’t answer that right now... I’m hoping that we can get it resolved really fast. I’m just almost sure that we can.

It's not like he's not already got a pretty good pay thing going or that his contract is almost up --- he has four years left on a 7-year, $15.7 mil deal.

The problem is... Travis Ford, IMHO. The Pokes gave him a 10-year, $20.375 mil deal after only one season.

We are not Pokes, so we can do the math... and the math says that Ford is getting paid to suck into the NIT (loss to Harvard at home last year!) and Gundy is getting paid roughly the same to take crappy OSU within a missed field goal of the BCS title game. Derrrrrrp?????!

But, that 10-year Ford deal also works against Gundy, as this guy (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Gundys_contract_A_counterpoint/50-13549) said. There are very few that don't think that longterm dealio isn't a mistake anymore... do they really want to pay for another expensive mistake like that in football, also?

Besides... where would Gundy go? This is, as he put it, his New York Yankees job. He is stuck in Stillwater, unless he wants to go to... um... Houston. Or... um... Penn State???? hehehe [hairGel]

Boomer.....
12/20/2011, 05:48 PM
I'm sure this was just Gundy's people stirring the pot to get a contract done. It is silly that they are still negotiating.

CowboyMRW
12/20/2011, 05:54 PM
I know, but that's because this is funny :D

Here's another interesting read on the situation:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20111220_93_B1_CUTLIN906740)

He's usually very good at shutting up about things, but it really sounds like he is irked at this:

Media dude: OSU has consecutive 11-win seasons. Does that help you in further contract negotiations?
Gundy: Obviously not.

Media: After a Big 12 championship season, a Bedlam victory and an Eddie Robinson national coach of the year award, why would this negotiation linger into Fiesta Bowl preparations?
Gundy: I can’t answer that right now... I’m hoping that we can get it resolved really fast. I’m just almost sure that we can.

It's not like he's not already got a pretty good pay thing going or that his contract is almost up --- he has four years left on a 7-year, $15.7 mil deal.

The problem is... Travis Ford, IMHO. The Pokes gave him a 10-year, $20.375 mil deal after only one season.

We are not Pokes, so we can do the math... and the math says that Ford is getting paid to suck into the NIT (loss to Harvard at home last year!) and Gundy is getting paid roughly the same to take crappy OSU within a missed field goal of the BCS title game. Derrrrrrp?????!

But, that 10-year Ford deal also works against Gundy, as this guy (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Gundys_contract_A_counterpoint/50-13549) said. There are very few that don't think that longterm dealio isn't a mistake anymore... do they really want to pay for another expensive mistake like that in football, also?

Besides... where would Gundy go? This is, as he put it, his New York Yankees job. He is stuck in Stillwater, unless he wants to go to... um... Houston. Or... um... Penn State???? hehehe [hairGel]

We did beat Harvard last year

badger
12/20/2011, 06:11 PM
We did beat Harvard last year

But you know who you didn't?

Wazzu.

Hey, look who we beat earlier this season :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

bluedogok
12/20/2011, 09:31 PM
Was Holder the AD that lost the hatter?
I think that was Terry Don Phillips.

Taxman71
12/21/2011, 07:24 AM
I have heard Gundy's agent was told to negotiate directly with TBoone, not osu or Holder (which makes sense). Thus, the delay could mean several things:

-TBoone is waiting to make a splash closer to the bowl game with a crazy amount of $$ for Gundy
-TBoone (and Gundy) is too busy right now and knows Gundy will get the extensions eventually
-TBoone doesn't like Gundy grabbing his spotlight and having leverage (since we all know TBoone is solely responsible for osu's success as every osu televised game demonstrates) and wants to remind Gundy and everyone else he still pulls the strings in Stilly (could Gundy's success sour their relationship?)

Boomer.....
12/21/2011, 08:25 AM
If that is true, then that is sad. Boone has no real role at OSU, yet calls all of the shots. I seriously doubt that T Bone pays Gundy's salary, so why would he have the final say.

badger
12/21/2011, 08:51 AM
Boone said he wanted a Big 12 title before he died... maybe he's worried that Gundy just gave the grim reaper clearance to take him away from his water rights, wind turbines and other crap.

cleller
12/21/2011, 09:17 AM
Do Boone and Gundy shower together?

sooneredaco
12/21/2011, 12:11 PM
Do Boone and Gundy shower together?

Yes. Once in the locker room showers and I guess it was the receivers coach or something like that, walked in on them. Some sort of internal investigation is going on right now.

RacerX
12/21/2011, 01:14 PM
Dear Mike,

Leslie left. See how's he doing?

Bob Simmons stayed. See how's he doing?

bluedogok
12/21/2011, 10:30 PM
Bob Simmons stayed. See how's he doing?
I have heard him on a radio show here in Denver. He did mention that he was fired right before he was due a "longevity bonus" much in the same way that Leach was. He said that it wasn't all that uncommon.

oumartin
12/21/2011, 11:09 PM
Gundy is a darn good coach and is where he wants to be. It may move slow but he'll get his pay.

Crimsontothecore
12/22/2011, 07:57 AM
This sounds stupid to say, but is Gundy really a great coach? Yes, he's had success but a part of me wonders how much of that success is due to his coaching and how much is due to the fact that he just happened to be their coach when Tbone took the program under his wing with his gazillion dollar funding, renovations, ect.

I mean, the decision to hire an actual offensive coordinator wasn't even a decision made by Gundy. In fact, he told reporters he would continue calling plays just two weeks before an outside O-coord was hired. Plus, the decision was made to pay assistants enormous salaries under Gundys watch which helped a lot.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach because he's not. I just wonder if any decent, competent coach would have had the same success during this time period at osu. I do remember tbone being an unhappy camper with Gundy prior to Gundy blindly hitting pay dirt with Weeden.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/22/2011, 08:11 AM
Gundy is a very good football coach, but Oklahoma St. winning the Big 12 title this season had a lot more do to with Oklahoma not being very good this season and being injury plagued at key positions along with getting hosed by having to play on the road two consecutive seasons along with Texas sucking. The future doesn't bode well for them given it took them having a Mormon QB (in a manner of speaking) and their best receiver ever along with the aforementioned circumstances to get the job done. Just giving credit where credit is do as honesty is a better attribute than sportsmanship.

Crimsontothecore
12/22/2011, 08:36 AM
Gundy is a very good football coach, but Oklahoma St. winning the Big 12 title this season had a lot more do to with Oklahoma not being very good this season and being injury plagued at key positions along with getting hosed by having to play on the road two consecutive seasons along with Texas sucking. The future doesn't bode well for them given it took them having a Mormon QB (in a manner of speaking) and their best receiver ever along with the aforementioned circumstances to get the job done. Just giving credit where credit is do as honesty is a better attribute than sportsmanship.

Great points. And how about osu being the first Big12 school to play for the conference title on their home field. Of course, it sounds like sour grapes to say it but all those things are just facts. Those points somehow get lost in the discussion of Gundy deserving a huge raise. Maybe 'ol Tbone and Hargis are sharper than we think.

cleller
12/22/2011, 09:06 AM
OSU is currently on a roll with their assistant coaches. They've been upgrading, while we've been picked apart. Add in signing a 27 year old pro athlete at QB, Escalade-shaped jacuzzis ala Boone: suddenly they are non-sucketh.