PDA

View Full Version : Why We Trust In BOB

PLaw
12/20/2011, 08:16 AM
From today's Oklahoman:

“Well, I mean there's reason for a lot of them,” Stoops said, speaking generally about the transfers. “Some want more playing time. … Some have multiple issues that you don't know about within the program, whether it be class attendance, whether it be workout absences, whether it be drug-testing policies.

“Everything they have to handle, there's a lot to it. And to be an athlete in good standing here, you've got to meet certain standards. If they're not, you know, maybe some guys need to find somewhere where they don't have to meet those standards. So there's all kinds of reasons why.”
================================================== ============

Enough said.

BOOMER

stoopified
12/20/2011, 09:14 AM
Kind of like the Marines,we need a few good men. Likewise not everyone can hack it at OU.

dwarthog
12/20/2011, 09:17 AM
Good find, thanks for posting that one up.

Fraggle145
12/20/2011, 09:46 AM
*Cough* (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?164470-Stoops-Presser-today-at-Noon&p=3427922&viewfull=1#post3427922)

And as I said in that thread:

This is what I thought the first time we "weeded" everybody out. We need to not have a weed out year every four years and instead need to figure out how to make those guys buy in to the system and help us win.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2011, 11:00 AM
Put it all on exiting players; they won't be responding...

This exodus is either a symptom of a problem or the cure to one. Time will tell.

sooneredaco
12/20/2011, 11:15 AM
Bob has never given me a reason to believe otherwise. He runs a clean program and has had as much as success or more than almost every other coach in the country.

KantoSooner
12/20/2011, 11:16 AM
*Cough* (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?164470-Stoops-Presser-today-at-Noon&p=3427922&viewfull=1#post3427922)

And as I said in that thread:

This is what I thought the first time we "weeded" everybody out. We need to not have a weed out year every four years and instead need to figure out how to make those guys buy in to the system and help us win.

We lost some leaders over the past two seasons. That should not be discounted. It's also a good reason to have at least a few guys on the team who make it only through outworking the rest of the known world.Starters or not, the example of people who want to be there has a tendency to influence even the stars.

MrJimBeam
12/20/2011, 11:48 AM
We lost some leaders over the past two seasons. That should not be discounted. It's also a good reason to have at least a few guys on the team who make it only through outworking the rest of the known world.Starters or not, the example of people who want to be there has a tendency to influence even the stars.Would it hurt to sign a couple more OKLA kids that maybe arn't your 4* recruits? Maybe I'm too sentimental and think a OKLA kid will outwork a CALI kid to start for the Sooners.

IronHorseSooner
12/20/2011, 12:03 PM
Would it hurt to sign a couple more OKLA kids that maybe arn't your 4* recruits? Maybe I'm too sentimental and think a OKLA kid will outwork a CALI kid to start for the Sooners.

This was a conversation that I just had with my KU buddy (see the other KU guy in my avatar with Tito Ortiz) about the commonality between OU football and KU basketball. He has the same gripe with his KU BBALL team this year as I do with our football team. Both programs were built on guys from Oklahoma/Kansas who came in and worked their cans off- lunch pail types. Yes, those programs had their out-of-area superstars, but the core of the teams were these no-nonsense, salt-of-the-earth, lunch-pail types. The problem with both programs this year, as we will see firsthand when we play KU in a few weeks, is that they need some humility thrust upon them and need to be weeded out. These kids don't realize that they are playing ball for elite programs, and there thousands of hardworking kids out there who would give their left arms to be in their shoes.

IronHorseSooner
12/20/2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry, double-post.

badger
12/20/2011, 12:11 PM
There's definitely worse things for a college football fanbase to be complaining about than loses and this past season proves that. At least we don't have to hold our breath while the NCAA decides our fate today (like Ohio State) or wonder if we should have been doing a better job of teaching hygiene to children (like Penn State)

OUster
12/20/2011, 01:36 PM
I know why I trust in Bob, because he is still a badass that every University in the country would love to have as their coach. Down year's happen. Bob deserves the benefit of the doubt. He will right this ship. I'm taking wagers.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2011, 02:04 PM
I know why I trust in Bob, because he is still a badass that every University in the country would love to have as their coach. Down year's happen. Bob deserves the benefit of the doubt. He will right this ship. I'm taking wagers.

Get some more vCash in your vPot and we'll talk.

sooneredaco
12/20/2011, 02:11 PM
These kids don't realize that they are playing ball for elite programs, and there thousands of hardworking kids out there who would give their left arms to be in their shoes.

If they gave their left arm it would tough to make the basketball team. Just sayin.... :D

badger
12/20/2011, 02:13 PM
Get some more vCash in your vPot and we'll talk.

I'll ask flak to do something Bobesque for the Insight Bowl ;)

ATX Sooner
12/20/2011, 02:18 PM

Did someone say 'wager'?

BoomerJ
12/20/2011, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking that ATX has a gambling problem:excitement:

ATX Sooner
12/20/2011, 03:38 PM
It's only a problem if I lose.

SoonerMom2
12/20/2011, 04:06 PM
If you listen to Dusty D. and Teddy Lehman today who are on with Chris Joseph, you would have found out that Stoops asked these guys to find another home for a variety of reasons. They were happy to see this Bob emerge again where you put it all out on the field or leave. Very enlightening program.

Fraggle145
12/20/2011, 04:20 PM
If you listen to Dusty D. and Teddy Lehman today who are on with Chris Joseph, you would have found out that Stoops asked these guys to find another home for a variety of reasons. They were happy to see this Bob emerge again where you put it all out on the field or leave. Very enlightening program.

Can you give us a little more about what they said? the segment isnt up on krefs website that I can find...

Breadburner
12/20/2011, 04:26 PM
All my Vcash is going on OU....

lasooner123
12/20/2011, 05:46 PM
sounds like excuses to me?

cobrapilot
12/20/2011, 07:58 PM
All you need to know to Trust in Bob is that he kicked Bomar off the team weeks before the season started!!! Not many coaches would have done that. They would have covered it up and gone on down the road.

boomersooner28
12/20/2011, 08:41 PM
Give me the 3-star Oklahoma kids that care about the "OU" on the side of the helmet and I will hand-out some old-fashioned ***-whoopins for years to come.

PLaw
12/20/2011, 09:11 PM
Would it hurt to sign a couple more OKLA kids that maybe arn't your 4* recruits? Maybe I'm too sentimental and think a OKLA kid will outwork a CALI kid to start for the Sooners.

Uhh, well if that logic held water, then Ronnell would be in good standing.

PLaw
12/20/2011, 09:15 PM

Wow, weren't we torching 'bama for over-signing to weed out the locker room. Is this much different.

Well, we should be able to sign about 28-30 this year which should equal a top 5 recruiting class.

Boomer

goingoneight
12/20/2011, 10:21 PM
Every now and then you just have a class full of duds it seems. And by dud, I mean for whatever reason, they just don't work out (here, at least). We had such a dropoff in 2005 and 2009 due to these kinds of problems that killed our depth, and therefore our productivity in the off-season.

soonercoop1
12/23/2011, 08:48 AM
Some coaches need to be "weeded out" along with the players or we will have the same predictable results....

Neath a Western Sky
12/23/2011, 09:20 AM
From today's Oklahoman:

“Well, I mean there's reason for a lot of them,” Stoops said, speaking generally about the transfers. “Some want more playing time. … Some have multiple issues that you don't know about within the program, whether it be class attendance, whether it be workout absences, whether it be drug-testing policies.

“Everything they have to handle, there's a lot to it. And to be an athlete in good standing here, you've got to meet certain standards. If they're not, you know, maybe some guys need to find somewhere where they don't have to meet those standards. So there's all kinds of reasons why.”
================================================== ============

Enough said.

BOOMER

Those of you who know many of these current players--know them in their world, not them entering into yours--just what would you estimate are the "certain standards" to which Bob refers?

Sooner70
12/23/2011, 10:06 AM
I'm still a Stoops fan and think he's the best thing to happen to OU fb in awhile. I do think he's like the rest of us, imperfect at best, and who wouldn't like to have seen a better performance against OSU & I still can't fathom the TT loss.

Anyway, I respect Bob for his forthrightness and concise way of dealing with things. You don't get a lot of claptrap and BS with Bob. In fact, none. He's not one to coddle misbehavior (no matter if you're all Big 12 or on the 3rd string), misspeak, or make excuses. I respect that.

Case in point. Chip Kelly pronounced his Oregon player out for the season after he bashed a Boise State player after last year's Oregon loss. BUT, as it turned out he wasn't out for the season. When it got down to the wire, and they needed the guy, he was put back on the team. Stoops would never do that. First of all, he'd never make a public declaration like that. He's too smart. He'd say something like "....he's suspended indefinitely for now.", or something like that. If he had said what Kelly said, you can bank on it the kid would've been out for the year.

But, he's not cold & heartless. Take Dusty D. Recall he bashed someone at a bar or something & got kicked off the team. He wanted to play again. Stoops told him to get rehabbed with anger management, and maybe he'd consider it. Apparently OU has a rehab program for athletes that have offfield problems like this. Dusty D. rehabbed to Stoops satisfaction. He got back on the team. Finished his career in good fashion.

I think Bob is a no nonsense guy that doesn't dwell on the past or things he cannot control. He's about the here & now and the future.

There are many other schools who would love to hire a Bob Stoops....

Neither is he heartless.

OU69BeaufortCounty
12/23/2011, 10:35 AM
In the winter of '67, Coach Jim Mackinzie spoke at our Cross Center Dorm and was asked the following question:

"Do you prefer in-state or out-of-state players?"

Coach Mackenzie replied,"Talent being equal, I would much rather have Oklahoma players. When the going gets tough, the in-state kid going to think twice before he quits the program. He has to go home and face his friends and family who know he had a chance to play football at Oklahoma."

I'm not sure if that is still a valid theory....I haven't tried to match the various departing players against their state of origin.

But I do find it interesting that even 40 plus years ago, departing players were a concern for coaches.

Coach MacKenzie died of a heart attack a few months after that meeting at age 37. I think he could have been one of OU's greatest coaches.

VA Sooner
12/23/2011, 06:22 PM
I had questioned Bob after he dismissed our starting QB Bomar off the team... then saw the light as the season went on and Paul Thompson did a fantastic job. Then... years later, I have a true appreciation of how much that very, very difficult decision had saved our program from years of embarrassment later (i.e. Ohio State, USC, etc).

Since then... I trust in Bob to run a clean program and won't have to worry about scandals making me ashamed of being a Sooner.

Boomer Sooner

oudivesherpa
12/23/2011, 10:02 PM
It's only a problem if I lose.

Losing, not gambling, is against my religion.