PDA

View Full Version : Justin McCay to transfer:

oudavid1
12/20/2011, 12:37 AM
I dont have a link. But a source close to the situation confirmed it for me today. Not the same one that I usually get info from. But I totally trust them.

oumartin
12/20/2011, 12:46 AM
obviously the kid is a trouble maker.

Gotta weed out all these bad apples...

BoomerSooner3
12/20/2011, 12:48 AM
Torrea Peterson likely on the way out as well as per SoonerSports twitter (who also mentioned tonight that McCay looked to be gone as well)

SoonerStud615
12/20/2011, 12:52 AM
The obligatory tweet proof:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1889/screenshot20111219at115.png

SoonerNima
12/20/2011, 12:55 AM
i understand some of the transfers, including McCay....but the peterson one confuses me.

SoonerDood
12/20/2011, 01:17 AM
another Norvell failure.

sooneredaco
12/20/2011, 02:15 AM
Add Content

prrriiide
12/20/2011, 04:18 AM
This chit is getting old. All we need now is for LJ to go to the NFL. I know some think that this would be for the best, but it's beginning to look like he'll be the only skill player returning - if he does return. Who's gonna be next? Stills? Hunnicut? I honestly can't remember a more effed up off-season, and we haven't even seen the bowl game turn into an embarrassing debacle yet.

At least I have 9 months to get my sphincter good and greased up for the retribution that will be visited upon us by the rest of the league next fall.

[/chicken little]

OK. I got it out of my system now.

Big D Sooner
12/20/2011, 05:21 AM
Eric Humphrey no longer on the roster. Torrea Peterson too.

Notice that there is a common theme here, none of these guys got much playing time. Probably won't hurt us too much this year. We need to recruit well and we will be fine.

Chiliman
12/20/2011, 07:24 AM
We need to recruit kids that really understand, This Is Oklahoma. You come here, work your butt off and you going to face great competition for playing time. Nothing is guaranteed and nothing is going to be handed to you unless you're willing to put in the necessary work and commitment.

rock on sooner
12/20/2011, 08:43 AM
All these players leaving....look at the number of schollies that are available....

GottaHavePride
12/20/2011, 08:52 AM
And some people thought we'd have trouble finding one for Whaley,,,

;)

Neath a Western Sky
12/20/2011, 09:39 AM
We need to recruit kids that really understand, This Is Oklahoma. You come here, work your butt off and you going to face great competition for playing time. Nothing is guaranteed and nothing is going to be handed to you unless you're willing to put in the necessary work and commitment.

Unfortunately, those folks don't typically fit our recruiting profile of running faster than speeding bullets and leaping over tall buildings in a single bound. Therein lies a conundrum and a big problem for us, huh?

goingoneight
12/20/2011, 10:45 AM
Hmmm... two TEs, three RBs, a WR, an OL and possibly a QB or two.

This must be Venables' fault. Or KW... or Chuck Long.

NormanPride
12/20/2011, 10:50 AM
Travis graduating means that those who really liked him might not be welcome anymore...

McCay transferring is no surprise. He wasn't panning out and was never going to see the field.

OUNASH
12/20/2011, 10:50 AM
I am starting to wonder if coaches on the offensive side of the ball can evaluate talent or character. When you have this many players leaving makes you wonder how bad the internal part of the program really is. Not to get flamed, but this mass exodous reminds me of the Blake years. I hope whatever is ailing OU is fixed.

OkieThunderLion
12/20/2011, 11:07 AM
If McCay couldn't crack any PT in the rotation that we were putting out there late in the season, it tells me it wasn't to be.

CU Sooner
12/20/2011, 11:17 AM
I think it says more about the kids and their mindsets theses days. In the interviews with theses kids when they are recruited they say they like the fact that they have a chance for early playing time if the compete and prove themselves. Once they don't play they leave. To say our coaches are not evaluating correctly seems crazy when you see who offered most of these guys leaving. If they missed it so did the others who offered. The problem is the mental mindset of todays athletes is like that of everyone else, "I want it now".

LVSOONER15
12/20/2011, 11:39 AM
Wasn't McCay a LB as well. I thought he was highly rated player at that position.

IronHorseSooner
12/20/2011, 11:53 AM
i tend to think that it has to do with PT (in both senses of the term). As for playing time (PT), these kids want to come in here and start immediately. The other PT, physical training, some kids just want it handed to them. With these kids transferring, it seems to be guys who were big names who thought that they would just come in, roll their helmets on the field, and they would be starters and play for an MNC. Look at kids like Stills, Finch, Franks, Jefferson, Hunnicutt, Colvin, Hurst, Wort, Darryl Williams, or Millard. You don't hear anything from them during all of this. Why? Because they came in and have worked their cans off and have been rewarded. I see all of this as a housecleaning. Stoops and Co are getting guys out who aren't cutting it, and making room for guys who will work hard and buy into what they are doing.

All of this is why I think next year's team will be better. Malcontents always bring a team down, no matter if they are starters or 4th stringers. Furthermore, we had some upperclassmen on defense who weren't exactly, to put it nicely, being good role models. Some guys didn't exhibit leadership qualities, i.e. grades and keeping your mouth shut. This team needed some humility, and they got a heaping dose of it. It think the 2012 team, including players, coaches, recruits, and trainers, will all be going back to basics. This is running the ball, being physical and sound on D.

I may be way off, but this is the way I see it.

lexred
12/20/2011, 12:11 PM
Every program loses some players, usually the issue is playing time but with true frosh some get "homesick". The "mass exodus" that seems to be happening has to be a cause for concern. The majority of comments seem to be that those leaving are "bad apples" and Stoops is "cleaning up" the program. Perhaps, but it still seems that there are some other issues within the program. I didn't expect anything major until after the bowl game, but if all those players leave and we get the "all is well" song and dance????????

nativesooner
12/20/2011, 12:21 PM
i was hoping he'd beef up and play some TE! Dang!

oudavid1
12/20/2011, 12:35 PM
All these players leaving....look at the number of schollies that are available....

Its late in the recruiting period tho :excitement:

picasso
12/20/2011, 02:36 PM
I am starting to wonder if coaches on the offensive side of the ball can evaluate talent or character. When you have this many players leaving makes you wonder how bad the internal part of the program really is. Not to get flamed, but this mass exodous reminds me of the Blake years. I hope whatever is ailing OU is fixed.
Yes, how can these coaches of ours look into the future and decide whether or not a kid will want to leave here after a few years.

OUNASH
12/20/2011, 02:53 PM
Yes, how can these coaches of ours look into the future and decide whether or not a kid will want to leave here after a few years.

Trying to make a point smarta22. We seem to be missing something in the evaluation process

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2011, 03:44 PM

If you look at the numbers over a longer span you'll see that we really hadn't had any attrition in a while before this. Heck, the spring after we won the MNC we lost 9 guys including 4 brand new recruits.

CU Sooner
12/20/2011, 03:48 PM
They are kids, it happens when you hire someone too. They look the part, they interview well, their performance at the previous level is good. Then you hire them and they don't pan out like you thought. Recruiting is the same. If our evaluation process has something missing so does, Florida, Oregon, USC, Texas, etc. These same schools offered the players that are leaving. This happens everywhere.

SoonerMom2
12/20/2011, 04:00 PM
Today on the REF, Dusty and Teddy Lehman came right out and said that Bob Stoops had told the players it would be better for them to go elsewhere and that is what they are doing. We have walk-ons with more work ethics then some of the recruits we have who were highly rated. Seems he wasn't happy for a variety or reasons like lack of leaving it all hang out on the field plus other issues. They were totally in favor of Stoops taking a hard nosed attitude with some of these players. Very enlightening to hear them talk. Sounds like we had some prima donna's.

Soonerjeepman
12/20/2011, 04:06 PM
talked to a buddy up here who had McCay on an aau bball team....he wasn't surprised...with the guys we have coming in at WR and if Green-Beckham signs...he wouldn't see the field..

I heard nothing but good things in HS about him though...good young man, believe he lost his mom his jr or sr year...unfortunately things didn't pan out at OU. Wish him the best.

PDXsooner
12/20/2011, 04:13 PM
What is a normal amount of transfers in a year? I know People are talking about it a lot this year, but what is a normal number?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2011, 04:18 PM
What is a normal amount of transfers in a year? I know People are talking about it a lot this year, but what is a normal number?

OU Tradtionally or SEC?

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2011, 04:20 PM
OU Tradtionally or SEC?

Good question. This could be an indication that Stoops is ready to do some culling/over-signing. If you can't beat 'em, then join 'em?

cvsooner
12/20/2011, 04:30 PM
Ultimately you either believe in the guy and his program, and you commit to it, or you don't. Or you give it a try and if it's not working, move on. Sounds like a pretty good life lesson to me. They weren't what we thought they were, to borrow and modify a phrase. Stoops has made changes in his approach to various things but all in all he's been quite successful. I know some people on here hate to hear that, since we don't have 91 national championships, but it's all you can ask for.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2011, 04:52 PM
Good question. This could be an indication that Stoops is ready to do some culling/over-signing. If you can't beat 'em, then join 'em?

While the end result may be the same, I don't think this is a result of this kind of policy. What I think was driven home this year was that you have to be draconian with your 85 man roster. You just can't afford to keep kids that aren't going to produce on scholarship (nor can you keep 3 kickers on scholly). If that next kid in line isn't able to provide quality minutes then he doesn't need to be here (and by quality minutes this could be ST but they have to be able to contribute in some way).

OU's numbers through 2008

Year|Transfers
2000 -1
2001 -9
2002 -9
2003 -7
2004 -6
2005 -3
2006 -3
2007 -2
2008 -5

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2011, 04:53 PM
Ultimately you either believe in the guy and his program, and you commit to it, or you don't. Or you give it a try and if it's not working, move on. Sounds like a pretty good life lesson to me. They weren't what we thought they were, to borrow and modify a phrase. Stoops has made changes in his approach to various things but all in all he's been quite successful. I know some people on here hate to hear that, since we don't have 91 national championships, but it's all you can ask for.

Not to mention that we don't have a waiver wire in college. If you think about it, the Rams are going to be at using near 85 people this year with all of their injuries.

cvsooner
12/20/2011, 05:03 PM
You get the players you need and want, and that want you. I'm sure at some point reality collides with desire on both sides (coaches and players), and some stick with it and have a great career, and others transfer. I do find it interesting that most of the transfers are gone, never to be heard from again. (Yes, I know there are some very notable exceptions, but mostly, not.) The whole thing has changed so much. Once upon a time you didn't have Mitch Mustain's momma breathing down your neck about playing time for her boy. Now there's an entire network of instantaneous communication that roars to life with the slimmest of rumors, and a coach just has to have incredibly thick skin in this day and age.

Heck, I wouldn't blame Stoops or anybody on the coaching staff if he quit after the bowl game out of sheer disgust.

PDXsooner
12/20/2011, 06:40 PM
OU Tradtionally or SEC?

OU

picasso
12/20/2011, 07:19 PM
Trying to make a point smarta22. We seem to be missing something in the evaluation process
Sorry, your point is confusing. How again are coaches supposed to evaluate if an 18 year old might want to transfer home for various reasons?
I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

ddub0224
12/21/2011, 12:13 PM

a QB or two?

VA Sooner
12/21/2011, 07:32 PM
I don't mind the attrition as much... get rid of the baggage and turn around with a scholarship offer for a kid who can work hard, work as a team player, and prove himself. Can't have prima donnas running around on the team... bad for team karma. Take a smaller group that's motivated to Tempe and let them show up against Iowa hungry for that playing time.

McCay just never worked out... Torrea Peterson was pretty good I thought. Would like to hear more about his motivation....

OUNASH
12/21/2011, 09:46 PM
Sorry, your point is confusing. How again are coaches supposed to evaluate if an 18 year old might want to transfer home for various reasons?
I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

How is it Confusing? You should have some indicator that tells coaches wether a young man is stable or not. If you are recruiting a kid that has family problems and is not sure of what he wants, why presure him into coming, it happens. I am trying to point that we have had an exodus not seen since Blake and something needs to change.

Big D Sooner
12/21/2011, 11:53 PM
I haven't seen any more on Torrea Peterson. He might transfer but I see nothing definitive. What I'm wondering about is if you look at the roster on soonersports, Jordan wade is not listed. I was fairly sure he qualified and was on the team. I see nothing about him transferring or leaving.

Rocko
12/22/2011, 01:36 AM
I haven't seen any more on Torrea Peterson. He might transfer but I see nothing definitive. What I'm wondering about is if you look at the roster on soonersports, Jordan wade is not listed. I was fairly sure he qualified and was on the team. I see nothing about him transferring or leaving.

He grayshirted, but has qualified and will be with the team this spring.

Big D Sooner
12/22/2011, 06:33 AM
Thank you.

Sinyeah12
12/22/2011, 11:29 AM
I see on Soonersports that McCay is listed on the bowl depth chart. If he is leaving, why would he be listed? Wouldn't they just say, no thanks and let him leave? Any thoughts on this?

cvsooner
12/22/2011, 11:50 AM
And it's dated 12/21. Don't know. Maybe he's had a change of heart?