PDA

View Full Version : Visiting OKC: Hotels?

Sooner5030
12/19/2011, 08:33 PM
Haven't lived in the OKC area since 2000 and the wifey has never been there. I want to retire there so I am going to take the family to see the area after we visit my parents in BFE. probably between the 27th-29th of this month.

Online the Skirvin looks nice but I remember staying at the Renaissance when I passed through in 04 and thought it was perfect for the price. The skirvin is priced a few bucks less during this period but the last time I saw it the place was abandoned.

Is the skirvin nicer than the Renaissance? Also, I have a 1-ton dually to park so that is another concern.

thanks

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 09:33 PM
Stay Here

http://soonerlegends.com/

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2011, 09:50 PM
Residence Inn at Bricktown is good...which area are you wanting to stay at?

Soonerus
12/19/2011, 09:59 PM
Skirvin is nice, so is Renaissance...don't listen to these other guys.

Sooner5030
12/19/2011, 10:01 PM
Residence Inn at Bricktown is good...which area are you wanting to stay at?

Any area within walking distance to downtown/bricktown is good. That way after dinner we can just walk to the room. I don't think the residence Inn was built the last time I was in the area.

Sooner5030
12/19/2011, 10:03 PM
Stay Here

http://soonerlegends.com/

Ole Vet...prior to OKC I'll only be about 20 miles north of your area! Heard you guys might have a winter storm coming this week?

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 10:11 PM
Ole Vet...prior to OKC I'll only be about 20 miles north of your area! Heard you guys might have a winter storm coming this week?

Not here. Out west and North yes . Here gonna be in the low 50s high 40s with some rain

Ya really need to at least look at Sooner Legends
The place is a Sooners dream

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 10:35 PM
The Skirvin is really a cool place to begin to see how OKC has become so much >>> Tulsa.

Seriously, that would be a great choice. Good location, parking isn't really a problem - street parking at night or a garage adjacent to the hotel. (not sure a dually works tho)

Beautiful lobby, cool rooms, lots of history. You can walk to the Myriad Gardens and see the lights and ice skate. The Museum of Art is also within walking distance, as is Bricktown if it is warm enough. If you're a hockey fan, the Barons are in the Myriad and the Thunder are at the Chessey, (I don't know if there's a game when you are here.)

The Colcord is also a very nicely remodeled "Old Lady" hotel. It is a bit more Art Deco than the Skirvin, but neither hotel has a true genre of design. The rooms at teh Colcord are a more modern design than Skirvin. Devon bought the Colcord and I don't know if it will continue to be a traditional hotel much longer, or will Devon use it entirely for their own purposes.

If the Skirvin is cheaper than the Renny, go for it. You won't regret it.

Sooner24
12/20/2011, 12:22 AM
I have stayed at the Renaissance, Skirvin, Courtyard and Residence Inn downtown and there is nothing wrong with any of them. The Renaissance and Skirvin are more upscale. I usually stay at the Residence Inn just because I like the location a little better. If I were going have to pick between the Skirvin or Renaissance I would pick the Skirvin just because of the history and the old Skirvin memorabilia they have.

Soonerus
12/20/2011, 12:31 AM
Colcord is basically closed now because of Project 180 work...

SoonerStud615
12/20/2011, 12:54 AM
I stayed at the Colcord amidst the construction and there was no problem. I don't know how much has changed since June, but it was enjoyable then.

kbsooner21
12/20/2011, 09:43 AM
Skirvin

soonerbrat
12/20/2011, 09:45 AM
Colcord is basically closed now because of Project 180 work...

it's not closed.

The Hampton Inn in bricktown is nice, and there are 2 Marriotts. The Renaissance is nice, the Skirvin is nice (and haunted). DO NOT BE FOOLED by the "Bricktown Hotel" it's NOT in Bricktown and it is not nice!

Viking Kitten
12/20/2011, 11:54 AM
Visiting NBA teams stay at the Skirvin. That should tell you it's a nice place. But as Brat said, haunted. By a ghost maid named "Effie." She's the Thunder's secret weapon.

Boomer.....
12/20/2011, 12:11 PM
I have stayed at both hotels and vote for the Skirvin.

DRLSooner
12/20/2011, 05:36 PM
The Hampton has a nice indoor water park for the kiddos and a good breakfast.