PDA

View Full Version : OSU now sucks at basketball

badger
12/19/2011, 07:03 PM
You know how people can say mean things about themselves and their state and their country because it's just like making fun of themselves so it doesn't hurt as badly as it coming from someone else?

Well, since I now have orange this and that and an OSU avatar, I am now free to say it: OSU now sucks at basketball.

The trouble started back in March, when like OU, the Pokes realized that they had to lower their expectations... or at least their ticket prices.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20110325_17_B1_Oklaho874864)

But here we are, in basketball season, and even lower ticket prices can't get Pokes excited enough to return to GIA.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20111111_93_B1_STILLW393675)

The committment of LeBryan Nash had fans thinking that OSU would finally be "back"

MmnpOhtQHpY

And perhaps some late game heroics by LeBryan and Cezar had fans thinking that there was some type of Sooner Magic forces working for them also... including their late come-from-behind against TU:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20111201_93_B1_CUTLIN800112)

But they are now 6-4. Their problems are numerous aside from their mounting number of losses, including their icky shooting, their lack of quality point guard to lead an offense, their lack of chemistry... I'll just let someone else describe the issues:

Link (http://newsok.com/osu-basketball-issues-issues-and-more-issues/article/3633168?custom_click=columnist)

What's even funnier is that Travis Ford makes a comparable amount to Mike Gundy... and he made it back in figures released in December 2009, after his contract was renegotiated following a second-round tourney appearance:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20091215_93_B1_Oklaho266809&rss_lnk=2)

So the fans hate him now because he's underachieving and seemingly overpaid... and now the rumors of player dissatisfaction will start to get louder, like that sophomore guard's imminent transfer:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20111219_93_0_STILLW519367)

There's really not much else to say I guess --- OSU now sucks at basketball.

birddog
12/19/2011, 10:11 PM
ford needs to add the customary uk player stache. it would carry over well at pickens u, what with the pistol pete stache, student mullets and the whatnot.

badger
12/19/2011, 10:21 PM
I just posted the vBookie event for this week (because I have to as part of my Poke bet loss) and saw who their next opponent is: It's Bammer. They just dropped outta the top 25, but I still expect OSU to lose easily, as it's on the road.

Another loss would make them... 6-5. Ouch.

kbsooner21
12/20/2011, 10:05 AM
Bammer is going to beat them like a drum.

badger
12/20/2011, 10:15 AM
Bammer is going to beat them like a drum.

I have no idea who they play next, but I know they have Va Tech on New Year's Eve because they're giving tickets away to that game just to make sure they have a big audience for national television... what would be more embarrassing, empty seats or losing at home on national TV :stunned:

kbsooner21
12/20/2011, 11:36 AM
I have no idea who they play next, but I know they have Va Tech on New Year's Eve because they're giving tickets away to that game just to make sure they have a big audience for national television... what would be more embarrassing, empty seats or losing at home on national TV :stunned:

How about BOTH :D

badger
12/21/2011, 11:47 PM
I haven't done this in awhile, but this warrants it... a meltdown post!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6048/6353158267_f174a662b9.jpg

That has nothing to do with Ford, that's just players being stupid. He benches them and the replacement comes in and does something even more stupid. Put the first guy back in and what do you get, something even more stupid than the first stupid that got him sent to the bench in the first place.

is eddie too old to pull a bill snyder at kstate and come back to rebuild his alma mater

And not a single Orange Power was had this day.

S....U....C....K.....

they are an average team at best, we looked like total dog crap against them.

What a reversal of fortune, OU who I thought would be a joke again this season looks to be decent this year. Our team which I thought would be a 20 win team looks like possibly the worst OSU team I have seen since the 1970's.

Every year it's always..."we got someone coming in next year that'll be great and just what we need to get over the hump."

On a good note...John Smith has another great wrestling team that will compete for championships.

I could care less about making the tourny at this point

That young players crap is infuriating. We just got beat by a team whose leading scorer was out.

I haven't read one single post in this thread but I can guarantee it has gone full retard.

Every year with Ford - might as well be a year on self-imposed probation.

Blue
12/22/2011, 02:13 AM
Was at that game tonight. Osu looked inept at best. We should beat them soundly in Norman and the game at GIA should be good.

badger
12/22/2011, 09:58 AM
Was at that game tonight. Osu looked inept at best. We should beat them soundly in Norman and the game at GIA should be good.

Do share a scouting report. After watching everyone on the team get their chance to beat down South Carolina State, I tuned in to TCU nearly getting embarrassed by La Tech.

The moments I've caught of their games this year (are they trying to block out local TV a la football to get attendance up, hmmmm???), they really seem to be terrible at selecting good shots to take.

badger
12/27/2011, 12:29 AM
The fallout continues... maybe.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20111226_234_0_TheOkl317103)

The Oklahoma State men's basketball program is losing its second point guard this month.

A source close to the program confirmed Monday night that junior point guard Reger Dowell is leaving the team.

Dowell started at point guard in OSU’s only game (a loss at Alabama) since sophomore point guard Fred Gulley left the team following a Dec. 17 game against New Mexico.

Soooo... Keiton's a point guard, right? :D

Bourbon St Sooner
12/27/2011, 10:08 AM
Wow. At least our exodus in football occurred after the season.

badger
12/27/2011, 10:28 AM
Wow. At least our exodus in football occurred after the season.

The orangies have their own take on this --- apparently this was Ford's last remaining recruit of his first recruiting class:

OP.com meltdown in progress (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/dowell-leaves-basketball-team.136570/)

Perhaps the schnazzy facilities bring the players in... but apparently not a lot is keeping them around:

1- A 6-5 start to the season
2- A lack of butts in seats at GIA
3- Footballfootballfootballfootball nom nom nom your fanbase doesn't like you
4- Others are bolting or will soon (graduation, one-and-done, inevitable transfers)

kbsooner21
12/27/2011, 11:42 AM
Hate to see that for them :D

badger
12/27/2011, 02:18 PM
The suckiest part for them is they have a road game in Smoo (dallas) tomorrow night and just had this sprung on them (although I have a feeling that he had told his teammate buddies long before his coach that he was thinking of leaving).

The even suckier part is that they have a home game against a name opponent (Va Tech) later this week, while a majority of poke fans probably will be too wrapped up in OMG BCS BOWLIN to care.

badger
12/28/2011, 09:48 AM
I have a few more "OSU sucks" things to share with you as long as I'm still in avatar bet hell. Some insight into why the mass exodus is happening to Poke bball:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?One_persons_theory_on_OSU_basketba ll_defections/11-13603)

In a nutshell, Ford (they call him "Fraud" on OP.com, lol) went after the hardest to recruit position and ended up with a bunch of guys splitting time, getting injured and other reasons that they just weren't happy, so they're gone, bye bye. ESPN's resident Sooner basketball hater Dougie Doug was quoted as saying that :eddie:'s only down years were when he didn't have a point guard... so beware the rest of the season, Pokes. Sports karma dictates that you basically gave up your precious basketball team to have one good football season. :stunned:

As such, OP.com has now taken a turn for the interesting in naming their "Fraud" successor. Any guesses who? Hint: It's Kelvin.

Link (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/2013-osu-head-mens-basketball-coach.136582/)

OUmillenium
12/28/2011, 06:22 PM
OK, so maybe the world is not going to end in 2012. Finally some good news.

Vegas Sooner
12/28/2011, 08:34 PM
What? Travis Ford is doing great? ...PLL

badger
12/29/2011, 08:48 AM
OSU LOSES TO SMU

THose are the words I would have been writing if SMU had actually did what it was supposed to at the end of regulation. Alas, double overtime later, OSU pulled it off against crappy SMU. Admittedly, the game was on the road.

badger
1/2/2012, 11:42 AM
OSU LOSES TO VIRGINIA TECH AT HOME TO 12,000+

No joke this time, for realz, man. That drops them to 7-6... which is good enough for a bowl, but bad enough to be :stunned: since this is basketball and not football.

And... the hits keep coming for Travis "Fraud" (that's what OP likes to call him now). Just in this morning:

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20120102_93_0_JeanPa720351)

Jean-Paul Olukemi, no I don't know much about him either except he's the guy whose name I can't pronounce on their team. Apparently, he's their starting forward and averaged just under 10 ppg and 5 rpg... and now he's out with an injury Jason White made famous... but again, this is basketball and not football, so there's no Heisman to look forward to here. Just another brick in the "OSU now sucks at basketball" wall.

:eddie: Till next time... this has been "OSU now sucks at basketball"

badger
1/4/2012, 12:20 PM
I am so disappointed in last night's game that I'm going to take a page out of Poke's book... trashing the in-state guys to make myself feel better.

Q: What significance does the number 7 have?

You might think that the answer is "the number of national championships that OU has in football, take that Pokes!" but that's why I asksed the question in orange text, because the answer is orange-related.

A: It's how many basketball players on scholarship OSU has left.

link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20120104_93_B5_STILLW835383)

Because most of you are here for football, no doubt by now you've seen the reports that OU is nearing a deal with Fox Sports (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20120104_92_B2_Univer828967) to invade televisions across Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas, nyah nyah Longhorn Network.

Q: Why am I bringing that up now?

A: Because like most OSU basketball games, their soon-to-be-loss at home to hapless Texas Tech isn't on TV, not even here in Tulsa.

So please, relish your Fiesta Bowl victory, Pokes, because it's the last relishing you're going to do with any major sport (rasslin does not count and your baseball team sucks) for a very long time.

Nyah nyah.

badger
1/5/2012, 12:09 PM
Nothing quite says "We nearly lost to the worst team in the Big 12" like this photo:

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/7956/pagebutt.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/864/pagebutt.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

And nothing quite says "We heart Travis Ford" like OP.com:

I was at the game tonight and can tell you that Ford did everything in the second half he could to lose this game for us.

I know we won a game, folks, but you all make DAMN SURE you don't give the coach any credit for it.

Here we go again with the "I went to the game, so I'm a better fan than you" argument again.

Ford makes the players crazy when he incessantly barks orders. At one point when the team was at the opposite end, he yelled C.J! C.J! C.J! to the point that CJ had to mentally leave his defender and concentration and look back at Ford to see what the heck he wanted. The look on C.J.'s face was WHAT????? I know he's trying to coach, but give them a break, since they're actually working with their feet, trying hard to defend and trying hard to concentrate.

So... I suppose I should just go ahead and admit it... I once again put my avatar, sig, status and vBookie control up against our two resident Pokes.

We're gonna win Jan. 9 though, right? :stunned:

CowboyMRW
1/5/2012, 01:31 PM
1-0 baby!!!

Travis Ford's goal is to win the national championship. He believes he can do it here. I believe he can too, next year with all our 5* players

badger
1/5/2012, 02:14 PM
1-0 baby!!!

Travis Ford's goal is to win the national championship. He believes he can do it here. I believe he can too, next year with all our 5* players

“Coach Ford did a tremendous job rejuvenating our basketball program in his first season,” OSU athletic director Mike Holder said in a release Friday. “We returned to the NCAA Tournament and advanced to the second round. He signed one of the nation’s top recruiting classes.

“He is committed to success for our student-athletes in the classroom and on the court, and he is committed to Oklahoma State University. … We consider Travis a rising star in the coaching profession and look forward to his leadership for many years to come.”

:stunned:

badger
1/9/2012, 09:55 AM
Might as well admit it --- before our recent "play the top teams in the Big 12 at home and the road" slump, I was arrogant enough to think we were shoo-ins to win at Stilly against little brudder.

So alas, I'm might be orange again by tomorrow. If you see me with a Travis Ford avatar, status, sig and see more OSU events on vBookie, that's why :(

Peeb
1/17/2012, 12:15 AM
If anyone enjoys OSU basketball meltdown threads, you can find them aplenty over at orangepower.com.

Sigh.

Hopeful for the future, but the present is pretty ugly.

picasso
1/17/2012, 08:46 AM
I'm not a poke fan but I was a fan of Eddie Sutton basketball. I went to many games there at GIA during that time.
I highly doubt oSu will ever return to those days.

badger
1/17/2012, 09:54 AM
If anyone enjoys OSU basketball meltdown threads, you can find them aplenty over at orangepower.com.

Sigh.

Hopeful for the future, but the present is pretty ugly.

So stuff must really suck over there now for so many Poke fans to show up on this board ;)

I don't mind, just pointing that out.

Let me guess --- fans getting unbearable in football offseason. :D

1- Recruiting?! RECRUITING!!!!!!!!!

2- Why we will win the championship next season in MY opinion even though we have 20 threads already going on this very topic.

3- I SAW GUNDY/PLAYER/OTHER COACH at XXX this weekend!!!!

4- Another minuscule poll voted us as the national champion over Alabama!

That, coupled with the fact that your men's basketball program is in the sh!tter (no disrespect, I know you guys just beat us and have an avatar to remind me of that for the next month) makes for a verrrrrry long offseason.

I was abandoning this thread for the time being out of respect for the fact that you beat us (in Stillwater, but still), but since a Poke bumped it, here's some of the OP chatter going on right now:

Does Baylor have a better athletic program than OSU?

Look at what Kruger is doing with lesser talent at UO. Although their record is a little worse than ours, he's clearly getting more out of them. It may not be coming in the form of W's, but anyone can tell that the same team from last uear is responding to better coaching.

I keep reading how "Ford is underachieving with the talent we have", and it makes me wonder if anyone has taken thier orange goggles off and watched our games. Ford is not missing the wide open threes. Ford is not driving to the basket and missing virtual layups. Fords not Shooting 41%. Fords not letting rebounds go striaght through his hands, letting them bounce to the opponent time and time again.

IMHO Ford has been overrated by our admins and some of us fans(including me). It is now quite obvious that he isn't going to get the job done. The real question is whether or not Holder will admit the mistake and be forced to play the huge buyout if Ford is fired?

10yrs? Our amazing football coach got 8 after years of measurable improvement. Ugh.

OK, I've seen enough orange. If i want to see more, I can stare at my avatar :mad:

badger
1/23/2012, 04:34 PM
I am still stuck in orange hell and it's been a few weeks since we lost to OSU, so here goes again:

OSU now has a losing season.

This is significant, because they are likely not going to recover from their current 9-10 state of being. That is significant, because Oklahoma State has not had a losing season in 23 seasons, dating back to 1987.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20120121_93_B1_CUTLIN942578)

You can blame injuries, coaching, whatever you want, but the facts:

1- OSU had its most lopsided loss since 1932.
2- OSU is the youngest Big 12 team (thanks to injuries and defections)
3- OSU is now 9-10 overall, headed for its first losing season since 1987.

Due to the Big 12's everyone-play-everyone-twice schedule, OSU must do two things to avoid a losing season:

1- Beat everyone they've already beaten in the Big 12, or
2- Beat teams that they've lost to.

To listen to OSU fans, it's like they're impersonating and then making fun of the fanbase we've made fun of for years based on football: "Wait till next year." Derp.

Link (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/official-coach-ford-mbb-rant-thread.138433/)

There's really not much left to say. OSU now sucks at basketball.

Vegas Sooner
1/23/2012, 07:52 PM
Ford is GREAT!!!! Keep up the "great" work!

CowboyMRW
1/25/2012, 10:31 PM
I know we suck, but we just beat the #2 team in the nation tonight. Great win for us.

Eielson
1/25/2012, 10:31 PM
I know we suck, but we just beat the #2 team in the nation tonight. Great win for us.

Hopefully this win is enough to keep Ford around.

CowboyMRW
1/25/2012, 10:55 PM

He's staying for another year and hopefully more. I'm a big fan of his. I'm extremely excited for next year, especially with Marcus Smart coming in, LB staying, and our core with Cobbins and Williams, and Brown getting more PT. I think this team has a good chance to be really good in the coming years

SoonerDood
1/25/2012, 11:09 PM
And the dozen fans that were there rushed the floor. I'm really not surprised anymore.

Eielson
1/26/2012, 01:54 AM
He's staying for another year and hopefully more. I'm a big fan of his. I'm extremely excited for next year, especially with Marcus Smart coming in, LB staying, and our core with Cobbins and Williams, and Brown getting more PT. I think this team has a good chance to be really good in the coming years

He'll certainly have come good players. I'm just not sure how well he'll be able to coach them.

Not to mention, when a team like OSU starts getting great players to come in...investigations seem to soon follow. Not making any accusations, because weirder things obviously happen all the time, but it is a little odd that Nash and Smart would pick a team like OSU.

badger
1/26/2012, 08:23 AM

You'd think so, but they're only 10-10 right now overall, which means they need to finish the year .500 to avoid its first losing season in about 25 years. Even a home win over the No. 2 team in the country is not going to erase a milestone like that if it happens.

OULenexaman
1/26/2012, 08:26 AM
Ya just gotta love Mizzery.....highest ranking they have ever had at #2 and promptly step on their dick and lose. I'm gonna miss kicking them around.

Boomer.....
1/26/2012, 08:35 AM
Even a broken clock is right two times a day.

CowboyMRW
1/26/2012, 09:29 AM
He'll certainly have come good players. I'm just not sure how well he'll be able to coach them.

Not to mention, when a team like OSU starts getting great players to come in...investigations seem to soon follow. Not making any accusations, because weirder things obviously happen all the time, but it is a little odd that Nash and Smart would pick a team like OSU.

I'd like to know why you think it's weird? Byron Eaton was Nash's half brother and we've been recruiting LB since 8th grade. Top talent attracts more top talent. That's how we got Marcus, and Solomon Poole listed us as his leader for a long time, not sure right now though. He's the #1 ranked PG for 2013. Also, if we get a recruit to visit, our chances to land him are pretty high. If you haven't seen the OSU basketball Cribs video, check it out. It's legit with all the amenities that are provided for them.

We've had a pretty good track record overall and I think ESPN ranked us as a top 20 team all-time in basketball not too long ago. Also, Butch Pierre is our main recruiter and he's a hell of a recruiter.

badger
2/6/2012, 04:09 PM
In celebration of me now being sans orange... a funny thing happened this weekend, other than OSU losing twice:

OSU was down to six scholarship players (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?/Six_players_enough_Ford_suspends_Cezar_Guerrero/11-14054) after suspending Cezar Guererro.

And then, Cezer proceeded to go on a twitter meltdown, which OP.com has captured for us here. (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/cesar-guererro-suspended.139400/page-3)

Nobody cares about me nobody!

Cezar Guerrero @CezarGuerrero1

* Retweet
* Favorite
* · Open

None of you don't know wtf I been threw this past week none of you!!!

* Retweet
* Favorite
* · Open

I'm going to rage right now in my room

* Retweet
* Favorite
* · Open

I've been broken down into pieces!

* Retweet
* Favorite
* · Open

F*ck YOU

* Retweet
* Favorite
* · Open

I'm so mad right now! Forreals!!'

These are only six of about 12 messages he wrote about 5-6 hours ago... Probably while completely smashed. Just a train wreck.

Try to find Cezar's twitter page... it appears that he deleted it. Maybe in a fit of "nobody cares about me" rage. Or the fact that OSU was about one player away from beating Baylor at home, which would have resulting in yet another student rushing of the court likely. Bawww, too bad you violated team rules, eh Cezzzzzzarrrrr? :stunned:

OSU is once again in losing season mode at 11-12.

badger
2/20/2012, 04:11 PM
You know what? I don't care how long its been since we beat a conference opponent, nor do I care about the fact that OSU just beat Texas off of billions of free throws and Keiton Page points from billions of one-sided ref calls.

Dag nabbit, we are due for a win and we are going to beat the losers of loserville on Wednesday!

You see, I can call them "losers" because they have a losing record. We, however, are still blessed with a .500 record :D

This season was not up to expectations for either of us... but I still believe that there will be a Great Pumpkin... durrr... I mean... a win for the Sooners this Wednesday!

Boomer.....
2/20/2012, 04:36 PM
The way the two teams are playing recently has flipped. We were playing good and now not so much. Them the opposite. That being said, I forsee a close game between us and aggy with us hopefully pulling it out. We need Pledger to start hitting some baskets though.

badger
2/20/2012, 05:30 PM
Oh, and I'm allowed to bash OSU because I'm probably going to be wearing orange here again after Wednesday's game :stunned:

I wish our resident Pokes posted more often here so you could see what they've had to do since the women (FINALLY!) beat them.

CowboyMRW
2/22/2012, 07:50 PM
Sorry Badger. I'll keep my avatar for awhile though. I've been working in Sparta, Illinois the last 3 weeks getting a brand new power plant up and running so my time has been limited.

Peeb
2/22/2012, 08:05 PM
Does anyone in either Norman or Stillwater (outside of players, coaches, families) care who wins tonite?

Most folks have put a toe-tag on both teams and gone to watch the thunder.

Sad. I would love for both schools to kick b-ball azz.

badger
2/22/2012, 10:28 PM
Sorry Badger. I'll keep my avatar for awhile though. I've been working in Sparta, Illinois the last 3 weeks getting a brand new power plant up and running so my time has been limited.

Hehe, my husband's been trekking to random Illinois spot the past few weeks and said that he saw a random OSU fan in a restaurant last night. Maybe it was you. :stunned:

As winner of this round, I hereby allow you guys to keep your awesome current avatars... you know, the ones that you put up after the Sooner women beat your women :D