PDA

View Full Version : Tight end exits

Neath a Western Sky
12/19/2011, 05:35 PM
Austin Haywood, Dan Tapko, Max Stevenson. All recent signees that looked to have great potential. Guess we're hoping our player evals, character estimates, or luck turn around with the guys coming in.

SoonerMom2
12/19/2011, 05:37 PM
Stevenson after getting hurt decided not to continue to play football which puts him in a different category.

badger
12/19/2011, 05:47 PM
It's not like we don't have a good track record with tight ends either... walk-ons get upgraded to scholarship player status, Joe Jon Finley played in the NFL off and on for a few years... Brody Eldridge has been on the Indianapolis roster for the past two years... etc. etc. etc.

Maybe it's what Brody tweeted about earlier this season:

That's what happens when you change everything about the program and let ESPN come in preseason and turn a humble program into a arrogant one

Maybe players just don't want to work for it anymore, or that it gets too tough compared to the high school level.

I'm not trying to judge or make em sound bad... I know I wouldn't be able to survive college football...

sooneredaco
12/19/2011, 05:49 PM
I know I wouldn't be able to survive college football...

But you're a girl!!!! :D

sooneredaco
12/19/2011, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=badger;3427788I know I wouldn't be able to survive college football...[/QUOTE]

But you're a girl!!! :D

Mad Dog Madsen
12/19/2011, 05:58 PM
Stevenson after getting hurt decided not to continue to play football which puts him in a different category.

I think he's continuing his career at A&M with Brandon Williams.

badger
12/19/2011, 05:59 PM
But you're a girl!!!! :D

Exactly... a fact I like to point out whenever someone likes to use arguments along the lines of "you posters are just bitter that you were never good enough to play/coach football at OU."

badger then can be Ms. Contrarian and be all like "I'm a girl and girls don't play or coach football at OU. What's YOUR excuse?" :)

Even if I was born a guy though, there's no doubt that I would have been too much of a pansy to play D-1, even at a pansy-welcoming program like KU under Turner Gill.

badger
12/19/2011, 06:00 PM
I think he's continuing his career at A&M with Brandon Williams.

Sucky if true... it'd be like Calvin Newell of the OU mens basketball team saying he was transferring to be closer to his family... then ending up at a Florida program (he's from the Philly Cheese Steak area).

Mad Dog Madsen
12/19/2011, 06:00 PM
That's what happens when you change everything about the program and let ESPN come in preseason and turn a humble program into a arrogant one

Yeah ESPN screwed OU and Alabama by doing that show... Oh, wait.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/19/2011, 06:04 PM
So, has Austin Haywood quit a 2nd time?

cvsooner
12/19/2011, 06:09 PM
Stoops said Haywood didn't make it back into his good graces.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2011, 06:13 PM
So, has Austin Haywood quit a 2nd time?

I think he just failed to un-quit for the first time.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/19/2011, 06:15 PM
So... looks like we're on to Number 2.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/19/2011, 06:17 PM
So... looks like we're on to Number 2. #2, like we did against the orange aggy?

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2011, 06:36 PM
Sucky if true... it'd be like Calvin Newell of the OU mens basketball team saying he was transferring to be closer to his family... then ending up at a Florida program (he's from the Philly Cheese Steak area).

I doubt the authenticity of any of the reasons given for transferring. There is no win for either the team or the player to air any dirty laundry. As fans, we can just look at the stats over time...

SoonerMom2
12/19/2011, 06:39 PM
I think he's continuing his career at A&M with Brandon Williams. So Stevenson is a liar for saying he is giving up football? We don't need those kind of players because usually their work ethic is not the best.

goingoneight
12/19/2011, 06:43 PM
Williams and Stevenson leaving for ****ing aTm is a sign that something is wrong. In their heads, I'm guessing. Leaving OKLAHOMA to go to friggin aggy means something's up. Things can't get so bad that the grass looks greener in that mess.

Calhoun and Miller... meh. It sucks to lose depth and all, but they're kinda like losing Chris Brown or Kejuan Jones. It's not like losing an AD, Broyles, Clayton or a DeMarco that the offense runs through.

oudavid1
12/19/2011, 06:53 PM
Austin Haywood, Dan Tapko, Max Stevenson. All recent signees that looked to have great potential. Guess we're hoping our player evals, character estimates, or luck turn around with the guys coming in.

I cant remember a signing who didnt have great potential according to this fanbase lol.

TheUnnamedSooner
12/19/2011, 07:32 PM
The title of this thread is nastay. :cleveland:

VA Sooner
12/19/2011, 07:51 PM
Would have liked to have a little depth at TE for next year though... who's left?

cvsooner
12/19/2011, 08:11 PM
So Stevenson is a liar for saying he is giving up football? We don't need those kind of players because usually their work ethic is not the best.They're not necessarily the best judges of what's best for themselves at that age, especially if, after 12 years or so, they've been told over and over how *GOOD* they are on the football field. They thought OU was tough...welcome to TAMU and the SEC, kids. Life is about to drop you to the bottom of the heap. Good luck.

Salt City Sooner
12/19/2011, 08:13 PM
Would have liked to have a little depth at TE for next year though... who's left?
No scholarship TE's left. J.P. Hughes is a walk-on frosh listed at TE, but that's it. We do have the verbal from the Fort Scott TE. Unless we get McNamara, I wouldn't be surprised if Millard played a bit there next year as well.

achiro
12/19/2011, 08:18 PM
Before you guys start coming down on Max, do you know he's transferring or are you just pulling crap out of your behinds?
If its the first, provide a link. If its the second, you should get banned for a while for spreading stuff like that.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2011, 09:44 PM
Before you guys start coming down on Max, do you know he's transferring or are you just pulling crap out of your behinds?
If its the first, provide a link. If its the second, you should get banned for a while for spreading stuff like that.

Here's the link (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?164497-Tight-end-exits&p=3427780&viewfull=1#post3427780)

achiro
12/19/2011, 11:57 PM
Here's the link (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?164497-Tight-end-exits&p=3427780&viewfull=1#post3427780)
So what you are saying is that without any proof that he is changing schools that you are ok with slamming a guy that played for OU.
Classy folks.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2011, 12:04 AM
So what you are saying is that without any proof that he is changing schools that you are ok with slamming a guy that played for OU.
Classy folks.

What I'm saying is that was a joke link to make you laugh. It made me laugh.

swardboy
12/20/2011, 08:50 AM
How'd things work out for that Gresham kid?

stoopified
12/20/2011, 09:11 AM
It's not like we don't have a good track record with tight ends either... walk-ons get upgraded to scholarship player status, Joe Jon Finley played in the NFL off and on for a few years... Brody Eldridge has been on the Indianapolis roster for the past two years... etc. etc. etc.

Maybe it's what Brody tweeted about earlier this season:

Maybe players just don't want to work for it anymore, or that it gets too tough compared to the high school level.

I'm not trying to judge or make em sound bad... I know I wouldn't be able to survive college football...Bob also had a couple of guys named Gresham and Smith who played TE and caught a couple of passes.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/20/2011, 09:23 AM
How'd things work out for that Gresham kid?

Bob also had a couple of guys named Gresham and Smith who played TE and caught a couple of passes.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

OrlandoSooner
12/20/2011, 09:25 AM
Williams and Stevenson leaving for ****ing aTm is a sign that something is wrong. In their heads, I'm guessing. Leaving OKLAHOMA to go to friggin aggy means something's up. Things can't get so bad that the grass looks greener in that mess.

Calhoun and Miller... meh. It sucks to lose depth and all, but they're kinda like losing Chris Brown or Kejuan Jones. It's not like losing an AD, Broyles, Clayton or a DeMarco that the offense runs through.

Chris Brown was a 1,000 yard rusher.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/20/2011, 09:29 AM

Not to mention 20 TD's while splitting carries with DM.

SoonerTerry
12/20/2011, 09:51 AM
Chris Brown is a wife beater....

wait.. wrong Chris

nativesooner
12/20/2011, 12:15 PM
Ratatouille just got his scholarship this year because someone left and freed one up. I wonder if that person hadn't left if he would have received one? I wonder how much Bruce Kittle has to do with all these defections? I know Haywood and him didn't get along, though who knows how dedicated Haywood really was. I don't really count Stevenson though because of the injury thing but if I see him on the field at aTm I will curse him! :) I do have relatives in Ft. Scott that said the kid from there may not be the most talented guy in the world but will bust his butt every play. Seems like we could use more guys like that around here.

BoomerJ
12/20/2011, 03:56 PM
Well we have two scholly TE's coming in next year. One looks to be a bruiser like Brody, the other may have better hands, but he is coming off of a knee surgery. Plus we have the incoming QB's twin brother, who is supposedly huge, as a walk on.

SoonerMom2
12/20/2011, 04:04 PM
Someone said that Nila will also work out at tight end.

mainline13
12/20/2011, 07:36 PM
I cant remember a signing who didnt have great potential according to this fanbase lol.

Well, yeah. Just look at the highlight videos ... against high-schoolers.

And before anybody says "but they're high-schoolers, too," they must first research the percentage of HS players who go on to play D-1 ball. Just play. Not star. Just play. You will be surprised how small that number is.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/20/2011, 07:55 PM
...turds.

And the occasional fart.

But if I keep up with the girth of my recent corn-eyed brown snake production, it won't be tight for much longer.

cccasooner2
12/20/2011, 10:54 PM
What I'm saying is that was a joke link to make you laugh. It made me laugh.

Me too, out loud.

Pricetag
12/21/2011, 12:05 PM

Not to mention 20 TD's while splitting carries with DM.
He was also a guy who was probably not in the most ideal position personally, yet he stuck with it and finished his career at OU. He's a true Sooner. Same thing goes for Kejuan. They were both everything that the guys who are splitting are not.

delhalew
12/21/2011, 12:38 PM
Our Chris Brown is a real man who busted his *** at OU. That was lame, goe.

goingoneight
12/21/2011, 12:57 PM
Umm... no, it wasn't. I never insulted anybody. I stated that there's merely a difference between serviceable players and star playmakers.

delhalew
12/21/2011, 01:16 PM
Call it what you like.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/21/2011, 02:10 PM
Umm... no, it wasn't. I never insulted anybody. I stated that there's merely a difference between serviceable players and star playmakers.

Yet Chris Brown had a better W/L record at OU than Peterson did.