PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Presser today at Noon

NOVSooner
12/19/2011, 12:08 PM
should be interesting....addressing the Brandon Williams situation along with rumors of Brennan Clay (possibly) transferring as well.

rekamrettuB
12/19/2011, 12:12 PM
Jeez...if Clay leaves too, OU might have to hire Jack Pardee.

badger
12/19/2011, 12:18 PM
If it ends up sucking, I'll be back with my library of past Stoops quotations :D

thecrimsoncrusader
12/19/2011, 12:19 PM
James Patton's fault. No back likes to run into brick walls on every down because James likes to have his offensive linemen pass-block on run plays and pulling offensive linemen is also illegal in his book.

LVSOONER15
12/19/2011, 12:30 PM
If it ends up sucking, I'll be back with my library of past Stoops quotations :D

Please do that. I have a feeling his presser may suck.

badger
12/19/2011, 12:39 PM
Please do that. I have a feeling his presser may suck.

Coach, would you please confirm the rumor about XXX player transferring or XXX coach hiring?

"I probably shouldn't have said (Monday), but everyone finds out anyway. .... In fairness to him, it probably doesn't need to be me coming out and saying that. In the end, that's the situation, and it's better than all the rumors being around about it."

:D

NOVSooner
12/19/2011, 01:10 PM
Ronnel not making trip to Insight Bowl: academics...Per Stoops

colleyvillesooner
12/19/2011, 01:12 PM
And there you go:

Stoops says "different guys considering transferring," won't address until start of next semester.

Brandon williams given his release.

No Ronnell Lewis for bowl game due to academics. Good riddance.

NOVSooner
12/19/2011, 01:12 PM
Stoops believes Ronnel is done, heading to NFL

NOVSooner
12/19/2011, 01:16 PM
Austin Haywood not back on team per Stoops' decision

NOVSooner
12/19/2011, 01:18 PM
Max Stevenson doesn't want to continue career....

SoonerTerry
12/19/2011, 01:19 PM
Damn soonersports webcast is broken

rainiersooner
12/19/2011, 01:26 PM
We live in interesting times, I suppose.

Breadburner
12/19/2011, 01:37 PM
Things work-out how they are suppose too......

cvsooner
12/19/2011, 01:41 PM
Said rumor of Clay transferring was 'first I've heard of it'.

revelladee
12/19/2011, 01:47 PM
Dang I couldnt get the presser.....y'all post more news .....who is and is not playing at the bowl game cause we're going to Tempe.....

cvsooner
12/19/2011, 01:58 PM
No Jaz Reynolds, no Ripkowski, no Broyles, no Whaley, no Brandon Williams, no Ronnell Lewis. First four due to injuries, fifth is transferring, last has academic issues. Everyone else should be good to go, I think is the way I understood it. Bob was a bit on the defensive, understandably, talking about the situation. Said staff wasn't looking more than usual to juco ranks but acknowledged things are a bit thin at tight end for 2012 with Austin Haywood gone and Max Stevenson after surgery deciding he's done with football. Hanna and Ratteree both graduate. Talked a bit about Iowa and his own history there and seemed a bit relieved to do so.

oumartin
12/19/2011, 02:02 PM
We done use the tight end anyway. Hell, not sure we need any running backs

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2011, 02:04 PM
No surprise with R. Lewis. Since he was suspended for missing class the last game, I assumed he would not be eligible for the bowl and was done with college forever.

badger
12/19/2011, 02:10 PM
No surprise with R. Lewis. Since he was suspended for missing class the last game, I assumed he would not be eligible for the bowl and was done with college forever.

I worry about top guys dogging the school side of things when it looks like a pro career is just a season away. Coaches across the country need to a do a better job of impressing on kids the value of an education -- a FREE education -- and the risk they leave themselves open for by not staying eligible and in the classroom, or other crap that results in them ending their college career prematurely. It could be summed up in one sentence, really:

"You don't want to turn out like Jevan Snead, do you?"

NormanPride
12/19/2011, 02:15 PM
Accountability like that comes from within the team. It's Travis' responsibility as "leader of the defense" to get on guys that don't do what they need to do. It's Frank's responsibility as a fellow DE to kick RL in the butt until he pulls his head out. Coaches can only do so much, and when everyone else on the team doesn't have a problem going to class it points more to the individual rather than the coaches.

freshchris05
12/19/2011, 02:18 PM
I worry about top guys dogging the school side of things when it looks like a pro career is just a season away. Coaches across the country need to a do a better job of impressing on kids the value of an education -- a FREE education -- and the risk they leave themselves open for by not staying eligible and in the classroom, or other crap that results in them ending their college career prematurely. It could be summed up in one sentence, really:

"You don't want to turn out like Jevan Snead, do you?"

The economy blows. I know plenty of people with degrees who are jobless or working a job that has nothing to do with their degree. For alot of these kids when you're an athlete at a big time program its NFL or bust. And by bust I mean, a job as a commentator or you can always sell ****. You don't need a degree for either when your name sells. I'm all about getting a good education and taking advantage of the opportunities you're given but they either want it or they don't. There is very little these millionaire celeb coaches can say to change that. IMHO

badger
12/19/2011, 02:20 PM
Merry Christmas, have a media link to a presser story here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20111219_92_0_NORMAN146210)

Stoops added that he expects “four or five” junior college transfers to enroll in December, more than the usual number. He also said a handful of players down on the depth chart — reportedly defensive tackle Josh Aladenoye and defensive back James Haynes, though Stoops didn’t confirm or deny those or others outside of Williams — would not be with the team at the Insight Bowl.

Let the rumors and speculation... continue.

rdusooner
12/19/2011, 02:52 PM
*sigh* Guess its time to retire the ole #56 jersey.

badger
12/19/2011, 02:54 PM
*sigh* Guess its time to retire the ole #56 jersey.

This is why they sell them without names on the backs.

They'll tell you its for NCAA purposes, but we all know the truth :)

colleyvillesooner
12/19/2011, 02:57 PM
No Jaz Reynolds, no Ripkowski, no Broyles, no Whaley, no Brandon Williams, no Ronnell Lewis. First four due to injuries, fifth is transferring, last has academic issues. Everyone else should be good to go, I think is the way I understood it. Bob was a bit on the defensive, understandably, talking about the situation. Said staff wasn't looking more than usual to juco ranks but acknowledged things are a bit thin at tight end for 2012 with Austin Haywood gone and Max Stevenson after surgery deciding he's done with football. Hanna and Ratteree both graduate. Talked a bit about Iowa and his own history there and seemed a bit relieved to do so.

A BIT thin? We have no scholarship TE's for 2012 at this point. Walk on Juco or True freshmen for next year.

Everyone cross your fingers we land Macnamara.

BoulderSooner79
12/19/2011, 03:08 PM
R. Lewis never seemed to be a happy camper. He wasn't happy with PT early on and didn't seem happy playing DE instead of LB. And grades were always a problem, so I think he would have been a tough case for coaches and team leaders to influence. But coaches do get paid a lot and this is part of the job (prolly not the fun part...).

badger
12/19/2011, 03:15 PM
Everyone cross your fingers we land Macnamara.

Would it help it we all did the Macarena?

goingoneight
12/19/2011, 03:18 PM
Sounds like Stoops is saying "nothing to see here in a bad way."

SoonerMom2
12/19/2011, 03:37 PM
R. Lewis was barely eligible for the season -- didn't find out until right before the season started. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he would be gone to the NFL draft this year. Bet he quit attending classes knowing he was going to declare for the draft.

badger
12/19/2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds like Stoops is saying "nothing to see here in a bad way."

He's starting to sound more like the tenured professor that can't wait to get out of teaching the undergrads so he can get back to not having office hours, not dealing with students and not dealing with the university.

Professor Stoops: Do I have to teach these stupid freshmen courses?
OU: Sorry, but they are paying tuition, which pays your salary.
Professor Stoops: I've been here a long time and I don't have time for this crap.
OU: This "crap" is one of the reasons you're here, sir.
Professor Stoops: OK, fine, I'll lecture and leave.

:(

jkjsooner
12/19/2011, 05:14 PM
The economy blows. I know plenty of people with degrees who are jobless or working a job that has nothing to do with their degree. For alot of these kids when you're an athlete at a big time program its NFL or bust. And by bust I mean, a job as a commentator or you can always sell ****. You don't need a degree for either when your name sells. I'm all about getting a good education and taking advantage of the opportunities you're given but they either want it or they don't. There is very little these millionaire celeb coaches can say to change that. IMHO

Let's just assume Ronnel Lewis didn't make it in the NFL (and I'm not saying that that is the case).

He's not going to be a heavily sought after commentator nor would he be able to sell his name for too long. Those things are reserved for guys who played in the NFL for years or were Heisman trophy winners or multi-year All Americans. If he has great business sense, his name could be a benefit for some business venture.

Another thing to consider is that the NFL teams want some indication that a guy has the right attitude and work ethic. Lewis is a great player and he'll make it in the NFL but he very well may be costing himself some pretty good money. If you were an NFL owner wouldn't you question why he failed to remain eligible and bailed on his team?

Malcolm Kelly's last days with OU should have been an indication to the Redskins on what they were getting. Sure enough they drafted him and the questions about his work ethic cropped up almost immediately.

I wish Ronnel luck. It's just we see this over and over again where guys simply are not doing themselves any favors.

badger
12/19/2011, 05:22 PM
What jkj said.

The jobs that you see on ESPN almost exclusively go to people with big names or "who you know" ties. The local Dean the Dream and Sports Animal jobs are limited too. You might be able to get a weekly radio show, but it likely won't pay much. I am not sure how well the autograph sessions the Sooner Spectator pays... probably not enough to send a kid through college, heh.

Too often athletes don't realize how important that education was till after they're broke or worse and their football-related income has long dried up.

jkjsooner
12/19/2011, 05:34 PM
The whole system where kids have to take college classes to make it to the NFL is just a little absurd.

Some of these kids frankly don't belong in college to begin with. I'm not saying that because of their background or anything. I'm saying it because there's a percentage of any group who doesn't belong in college. If they can play football or basketball, we try to take them all. For some we're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

But Ronnel has proven that he can at least remain eligible. Someone needed to sit him down and explain that whether the system is messed up or not, he is serving his own best interests by remaining eligible and finishing the year.

badger
12/19/2011, 06:05 PM
If the XFL succeeded, there's no doubt in my mind that it would have been the destination for kids that didn't want to (or qualify for) the college angle and wanted to start making money playing ball right away.

The "system" in place is the only system there is, so the system can tell kids that this is way you go and there's no alternative. Amazing that a competing system hasn't developed yet for a sport as popular as football... but perhaps the coaching and player salaries and accompanying costs are just too d@mn high for startups.

DarrellZero
12/19/2011, 06:13 PM
But Ronnel has proven that he can at least remain eligible. Someone needed to sit him down and explain that whether the system is messed up or not, he is serving his own best interests by remaining eligible and finishing the year.

I hear what you're saying, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that his grades are past the point of no return and have been for a while.

goingoneight
12/19/2011, 06:36 PM
No TEs for 2012, RBs are Finch and a bunch of who knows what, defense looks attrocious.

Ouch.

To me, it seems that even if we don't get rid of a bunch of coaches, a lot of things will HAVE to change schematically to be successful in 2012. Like how we went full AD in 2005 and 2006 because everything else around him wasn't producing consistently. If we put an entire season on OUr QB, I don't see any of OUr QBs being able to handle that. Even Heupel, White and Bradford had great supporting casts on their title runs/attempts.

The biggest loss outside of Broyles to this program seems to be Ronnell. He was considered to be such a gamble academically and after he was out for the Baylor and beyond, we could see why they rolled the dice with him. We're not only losing OUr "spinner" guy, we're losing the AA on the other side of him.

Should be a VERY important off-season recruiting and development-wise. I know, I know... off-season is always important, yada-yada... but it's obvious this one's different in that regard.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 06:54 PM
No more TE's?

Too bad Little Jimmy doesn't have another year.

cvsooner
12/19/2011, 08:06 PM
Maybe some of those TEs that got moved over to tackle could move back. Or put Millard at TE. Well, we'll see, I guess.

oumartin
12/19/2011, 09:35 PM
So, did Stoopsie seem to have any humility in his voice? Like maybe things will change or was he his usual prideful self?

Nothing wrong with having pride but man something is amiss down there.

birddog
12/19/2011, 09:48 PM
yup. seems to be a faction of guys who have one problem or another.

SoonerMom2
12/19/2011, 09:59 PM
From the Norman Transcript about the Stoops press conference:

With the exception of Williams, Stoops didn’t address any specific reasons for players transferring. Several players decide to transfer every year. What’s been strange about this season is that players have elected to pack their bags before the season is over.

“I’m not speaking for any guy, but some have multiple issues that you don’t know about within the program,” Stoops said. “Whether it be class attendance, workout absences, drug testing policy. Everything they have to handle, there’s a lot to it. To be an athlete in good standing here you have to meet certain standards. If they’re not, then some guys need to find somewhere where they don’t have to meet such standards.”

Source: http://normantranscript.com/new/x1510849232/Sooners-taking-fewer-players-to-Insight-Bowl

Seems some of the ones transferring are not interested in meeting the standards required to be a Sooner. Looks like A&M is one of those with easier standards. Probably the whole SEC.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 10:26 PM
He had his usual tone, but was s l i g h t l y tired-sounding. I dare not presume why.

8timechamps
12/19/2011, 10:49 PM
From the Norman Transcript about the Stoops press conference:

With the exception of Williams, Stoops didn’t address any specific reasons for players transferring. Several players decide to transfer every year. What’s been strange about this season is that players have elected to pack their bags before the season is over.

“I’m not speaking for any guy, but some have multiple issues that you don’t know about within the program,” Stoops said. “Whether it be class attendance, workout absences, drug testing policy. Everything they have to handle, there’s a lot to it. To be an athlete in good standing here you have to meet certain standards. If they’re not, then some guys need to find somewhere where they don’t have to meet such standards.”

Source: http://normantranscript.com/new/x1510849232/Sooners-taking-fewer-players-to-Insight-Bowl

Seems some of the ones transferring are not interested in meeting the standards required to be a Sooner. Looks like A&M is one of those with easier standards. Probably the whole SEC.

THIS is why I back Stoops so much.

At one time, this program was an embarrassment. I remember being in Florida in 1994 wearing a Sooners hat and a guy telling me that I should be embarrassed to support the OU athletic department. Of course I wasn't, and could have cared less, but we were the Ohio State of the 90's (just worse). Stoops has never been questioned when it comes to integrity, and has pretty much made it clear that it's "his way or the highway!". Maybe in a strange way we needed to have a year like this to weed out those that weren't willing to commit.

JiminyChristmas
12/19/2011, 11:49 PM
I agree with most of that above, but I'm bothered by how high he was on this group going into the season. If you are really in tune with your players, wouldn't you know you had issues boiling just under the surface?

I know you can get blindsided at times, but he really missed the mark with praise in the preseason. And I know you can't predict injuries. Maybe Broyles really was the glue on both sides of the ball. Sure unraveled in a hurry after he went down.

Fraggle145
12/19/2011, 11:56 PM
Maybe in a strange way we needed to have a year like this to weed out those that weren't willing to commit.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but this is what I thought the first time we "weeded" everybody out. We need to not have a weed out year every four years and instead need to figure out how to make those guys buy in to the system and help us win.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2011, 12:01 AM
I would agree with the Stoops statement above too - if I was buying it all. Putting it all on transferring players is easy to do, and I'm sure justified in some cases - but all of them? Too much smoke this year to not believe something is different than previous years. I don't expect Stoops to divulge anything, so if there is a real problem in the locker room, we'll find out when we see it on the field.

oumartin
12/20/2011, 12:03 AM
Stoops won't address the real problems.

sooneredaco
12/20/2011, 02:05 AM
"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!

the_edge
12/20/2011, 02:24 AM
I remember being in Florida in 1994 wearing a Sooners hat and a guy telling me that I should be embarrassed to support the OU athletic department.

When exactly in 1994? I seem to recall us going 9-3 in 1993. Oh, wait...

soonerloyal
12/20/2011, 09:56 AM
I would agree with the Stoops statement above too - if I was buying it all. Putting it all on transferring players is easy to do, and I'm sure justified in some cases - but all of them? Too much smoke this year to not believe something is different than previous years. I don't expect Stoops to divulge anything, so if there is a real problem in the locker room, we'll find out when we see it on the field.

This. There's no logic in the premise that it's simply a player issue. There's more to the problem than the guys on the field. There's got to be something going on at the staff level as well.

I admire, respect and care for Coach Stoops, no doubt about it. But whatever's going on that is making players so unhappy and causing us the screw the pooch needs to get fixed. Whatever is wrong in the program can't be pinned on just a few "disgruntled" 20-year-olds.

PrideMom
12/20/2011, 10:09 AM
I think the main problem is that young people do not want to WORK! Coming to OU is not a free lunch, you have to earn being there. I still am amazed how these "athletes" do not appreciate a full scholarship. I had to work full time, raise a family, and go to night school to get my college degree. I would sit on the bench for that opportunity!!

SoonerTerry
12/20/2011, 10:28 AM
I agree with most of that above, but I'm bothered by how high he was on this group going into the season. If you are really in tune with your players, wouldn't you know you had issues boiling just under the surface?

I know you can get blindsided at times, but he really missed the mark with praise in the preseason. And I know you can't predict injuries. Maybe Broyles really was the glue on both sides of the ball. Sure unraveled in a hurry after he went down.

Sometimes a guy looks great in basic training but craps his pants and hides when the bullets start flying.

FriscoTXsooner
12/20/2011, 10:29 AM
Coaches recruit, and try to find high school athletes that will fit into the program, with that, rules need to be followed, and one of them is go to class and pass! PERIOD! I love college football, especially the Sooners, but like a previous poster, I too paid for by degrees, I didn't get a free ride, but then again I wasn't the caliber of player that OU goes after. However, coming to Norman with a big ego, and having that ego stroked as it was this year with the ESPN show, didn't help with keeping the players feet on the ground. I hope it was a lesson for the program that it's better to make noise on the field than before the season starts.

If some of the players want to leave because they can't abide by the rules, then do we really want them here? The university has done a great job building the reputation as an academic institution that happens to also have a great football program. My daughter starts at OU in the fall, not because of the football program but because of the academic programs. The truth hurts, but out of all of our great players that we've seen over the past 15 years, how many of them have sustained a professional football career? Those that complete their studies, and graduate, are much more ready to face what comes their way, verses those that opt out and simply come to play football because they think they're the next great NFL prospect. Come on guys, smart up! get your degree, or someday you'll be working for those that do graduate!

Bob knows what he's doing, and he'll get them to regroup in the off season, regardless, next year will bring hope, and with those that want to be here, we will win!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/20/2011, 10:48 AM
Ok, I have been away for a while. Reynolds had a kidney injury, did he lose the kidney? Sounds like Stoops to talk with the parents sounds a lot like a career ending injury, then he says he would be well enough to play next year? I'm confused...

OULenexaman
12/20/2011, 10:52 AM
Vet gave him one....

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2011, 10:52 AM
I think the main problem is that young people do not want to WORK! Coming to OU is not a free lunch, you have to earn being there. I still am amazed how these "athletes" do not appreciate a full scholarship. I had to work full time, raise a family, and go to night school to get my college degree. I would sit on the bench for that opportunity!!

If the issue is that young people are lazy, then every team would have players quitting in bunches - including during the season.

OUNASH
12/20/2011, 10:57 AM
This. There's no logic in the premise that it's simply a player issue. There's more to the problem than the guys on the field. There's got to be something going on at the staff level as well.

I admire, respect and care for Coach Stoops, no doubt about it. But whatever's going on that is making players so unhappy and causing us the screw the pooch needs to get fixed. Whatever is wrong in the program can't be pinned on just a few "disgruntled" 20-year-olds.

If it was just a couple of players, I would say it is a player issue, when you have 7-10 leave it is a coaching problem (IMO). Whatever the problem it needs to be fixed quickly.

SoonerorLater
12/20/2011, 11:02 AM
The system we have requires guys, that would otherwise have no business in college, wait 3 years to go pro. This is just a bone that the NFL throws to the college game, not because they are good guys, but the NFL doesn't want to start a minor league operation. I don't think it's much of a secret that Ronnell Lewis isn't much of a student so he just tried to squeak thru 3 years of school before he moved on. It may be that he just isn't capable of college level academics and there probably are others. I think Stoops and staff knew about Lewis coming in and decided to recruit him anyway knowing full well what the deal was. All in all it was a good move.

The problem I have with OU recruiting is that they appear just to have printed the Rivals 250 and take it as the recruiting bible. I just don't think they take a lot of time evaluating players. Even less checking out the character /work ethic side of the equation. Now some of these decisions have come home to roost and require a house-cleaning. In the end it will be a good thing but in the short term maybe not so good.

olevetonahill
12/20/2011, 11:08 AM
Does that mean ya wouldnt WORK to be a starter?

8timechamps
12/20/2011, 03:39 PM
When exactly in 1994? I seem to recall us going 9-3 in 1993. Oh, wait...

It wasn't the record he was talking about...it was the coke dealing, out of control boosters, shootings, etc.