PDA

View Full Version : What if Tim Tebow were Muslim?

SoonerPride
12/18/2011, 09:41 AM
What if Tim Tebow were Muslim?

How would you react if Tim Tebow were Muslim? If after every touchdown he bowed on his knees to Mecca? If after every interview he said "praise be to Allah?"

If you wouldn't appreciate that public display of Islam being thrown in your face while currently supporting Tim Tebow's antics, then you are a hypocrite.

Tim Tebow's overt religiosity is an embarrassment. It should be a private matter not a public spectacle.

Spray
12/18/2011, 09:42 AM
You said the same thing about Reggie White, correct? I mean, it was pretty obvious he was a preacher and loved Jesus.

cleller
12/18/2011, 09:46 AM
If he were a muslim, he'd have been drummed out of the NFL after he beheaded his first or second opponent. Probably the second, since we believe so much in tolerance and diversity.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 09:58 AM

How would you react if Tim Tebow were Muslim? If after every touchdown he bowed on his knees to Mecca? If after every interview he said "praise be to Allah?"

If you wouldn't appreciate that public display of Islam being thrown in your face while currently supporting Tim Tebow's antics, then you are a hypocrite.

Tim Tebow's overt religiosity is an embarrassment. It should be a private matter not a public spectacle.

Care to explain to me how this would make ME a hypocrite?

cherokeebrewer
12/18/2011, 10:04 AM
Gonna be a long off season...

WileyCoyote
12/18/2011, 10:05 AM
I don't know how I'd react because I am not a Muslim. I kinda wish he'd do the "Funky Chicken" like ol' Billy White Shoes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHQgPoAlKZw

SoonerPride
12/18/2011, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerPride;3427095]

Care to explain to me how this would make ME a hypocrite?

Big D Sooner
12/18/2011, 10:09 AM
If he were a muslim, he'd have been drummed out of the NFL after he beheaded his first or second opponent. Probably the second, since we believe so much in tolerance and diversity.

You are a ******. A vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people. I think this is a great question. I believe he would be heavily criticized. In alot of people's eyes, freedom of religion only applies only applies to Christians.

C&CDean
12/18/2011, 10:11 AM
Nobody would notice Tebow's antics if the press didn't dwell on them. Lots of guys cross themselves, point to heaven, thank God/Jesus in interview, etc. The press is the one to blame for Tebow being so "popular?"

As far as the muslim thing? I'd vote to kick his *** out of the league. On a rail. Straight to Achmedistan. Hypocritical? No, I just think muslims are pretty much whacked out murderous scumbuckets. Sue me.

C&CDean
12/18/2011, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah, this one will probably be moved to the politics forum I'm thinking.

soonerinabilene
12/18/2011, 10:14 AM
Is this Stoops fault, too??? Just curious as to why this is on the football board...

SoonerorLater
12/18/2011, 10:19 AM

Wanted to respond before you left for church. If Tim Tebow praised allah I would most likely quit watching Denver Football games. Why? Because I'm not Muslim. The same way Muslims are free to not watch Tim Tebow praise our Lord. Your hypothesis that it would be hypocritical not to appreciate an Islamic football player is based on the fallacy of logic that all religious displays should be regarded in equal terms. Nothing could be more incorrect. The same could be said for any system of ideas and beliefs. We embrace some we dismiss others.

Under your logic we should be considered hypocrites when we cheer and applaud after OU scores a touchdown but we don't appreciate it when the opposing teams scores. It's not hypocrisy it's just a matter of supporting our team. Same thing with supporting Tebow. He's on our team.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/18/2011, 10:23 AM
personally, i'd like to see him do a rain dance followed by the baptism of one of the cheerleaders, topped of with him dying--only to be reincarnated into a fruit bat in indo-china.

if i had my way. prolly never happen though.

SoonerorLater
12/18/2011, 10:25 AM

Wanted to respond before you left for church. If Tim Tebow praised allah I would most likely quit watching Denver Football games. Why? Because I'm not Muslim. The same way Muslims are free to not watch Tim Tebow praise our Lord. Your hypothesis that it would be hypocritical not to appreciate an Islamic football player is based on the fallacy of logic that all religious displays should be regarded in equal terms. Nothing could be more incorrect. The same could be said for any system of ideas and beliefs. We embrace some we dismiss others.

Under your logic we should be considered hypocrites when we cheer and applaud after OU scores a touchdown but we don't appreciate it when the opposing teams scores. It's not hypocrisy it's just a matter of supporting our team. Same thing with supporting Tebow. He's on our team.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=olevetonahill;3427100]

I DGAS what he does . why should you?

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 10:29 AM
personally, i'd like to see him do a rain dance followed by the baptism of one of the cheerleaders, topped of with him dying--only to be reincarnated into a fruit bat in indo-china.

if i had my way. prolly never happen though.

Id rather see him do a Circumcision of a Virgin Cheerleader

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/18/2011, 10:31 AM
tonight it's Brady vs. Tebow. we'll see which side wins. the beautiful man hair and women lovin', or prayer and circumsition.

soonerloyal

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/stupidityfreezone.png

Isn't there a different forum where we can make fun of him properly and at length? :excitement:

BetterSoonerThanLater
Id rather see him do a Circumcision of a Virgin Cheerleader

lmao. good thing there's no male cheerleaders in the eneffel. :)

cleller
12/18/2011, 10:37 AM
You are a ******. A vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people. I think this is a great question. I believe he would be heavily criticized. In alot of people's eyes, freedom of religion only applies only applies to Christians.

Very typical eyes closed behavior. Have not people been making jokes of Tebow left and right for years? Its OK to do that; but make a joke about a muslim and the knee jerks come yelling and screaming. Now that's hypocrisy.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 10:38 AM
lmao. good thing there's no male cheerleaders in the eneffel. :)

Aint NO Virgins either

Big D Sooner
12/18/2011, 10:43 AM
It is totally within your rights to dislike someone due to his/her religious affiliation (although I feel that is rather close minded) but you cannot ban him from playing because of it.

PalmettoSooner
12/18/2011, 10:45 AM

SoonerorLater...I agree with your statement. If Tebow was Muslim, then I also would not watch his games due to the fact that I am not Muslim and I do not believe in that type of religion. If Tebow was Muslim and he display his faith, then yes many people would be criticizing him just like they are criticizing him for sharing his Christian faith. As Americans, we have freedom of Religion because not all people believe in the same faith. Basically we have the right to accept it or not. Does that make people hypocrites? In my opinion...NO. I spent last year in Afghanistan and I witness and learned a lot about Islam. I observed how they pray, how they act towards others, and I saw how they lived their lives daily. Simply, I do not agree with it or like it and I have the right to not accept it just like Muslims have the right not to accept the Christian faith.

Sooner_Tuf
12/18/2011, 10:50 AM

I think you do not know the definition of the word hypocrite.

oudivesherpa
12/18/2011, 10:55 AM
What if Tebow goes Old Testament on us and sacrifices a 21 year virgin after scoring a touchdown? Would that be hypocritical? Of course that assumes we could find a 21 year old virgin.

Render to Ceasar things that are Ceasar, render to God the things that are God's. I put football in the Ceasar category.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 10:58 AM
It is totally within your rights to dislike someone due to his/her religious affiliation (although I feel that is rather close minded) but you cannot ban him from playing because of it.
If I was the Commissioner I could.

76soonergrad
12/18/2011, 10:59 AM

If 80% of our country was Muslim, no problem. We're not. This display should be banned because a small minority of Americans are not Christian? atheist, hindu, etc? Sounds like politically correct-speak.

After every game, players on both teams gather to pray. This isn't broadcast. The media decided to broadcast Tebow. Who is the hypocrite? MEDIA.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 11:00 AM
What if Tebow goes Old Testament on us and sacrifices a 21 year virgin after scoring a touchdown? Would that be hypocritical? Of course that assumes we could find a 21 year old virgin.

Render to Ceasar things that are Ceasar, render to God the things that are God's. I put football in the Ceasar category.

Aint he the ONLY Virgin on the field?

yermom
12/18/2011, 11:06 AM
Nobody would notice Tebow's antics if the press didn't dwell on them. Lots of guys cross themselves, point to heaven, thank God/Jesus in interview, etc. The press is the one to blame for Tebow being so "popular?"
this.

As far as the muslim thing? I'd vote to kick his *** out of the league. On a rail. Straight to Achmedistan. Hypocritical? No, I just think muslims are pretty much whacked out murderous scumbuckets. Sue me.

nah, if he was muslim, he'd get to go to the White House ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/nfls-abdullah-brothers-excused-from-camp-for-ramadan-dinner-at-white-house/2011/08/10/gIQAs8tY6I_blog.html?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

Big D Sooner
12/18/2011, 11:09 AM
No, actually you couldn't.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 11:10 AM
No, actually you couldn't.
Yes I could, You not the boss of me .

SoonerKnight
12/18/2011, 11:13 AM
This **** should be in the south oval forum geez!!

oumartin
12/18/2011, 11:15 AM
I'm more concerned if Tebow is Baptist or not.

I kinda like Tim Tebow the football player but he's on thin ice since he was the qb of the NC florida gators. If it turns out he's baptists I'll turn my back on him.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 11:15 AM
This **** should be in the south oval forum geez!!
Why? Its almost Offseason who GAS ?

hawaii 5-0
12/18/2011, 11:32 AM
Isn't there some penalty for carrying an IED onto a football field, even if it's shaped like a football?

5-0

SoonerKnight
12/18/2011, 11:34 AM
Cuz I'm cranky and don't want to even see a thread title that is this uh well silly!

Whet
12/18/2011, 11:37 AM
Would it be hypocritical if I cheered for Tebow for being a heterosexual male, engaged in premarital relationships with the cheerleaders, but not cheer for him if he has unnatural relationships with sheep?

okiedokie
12/18/2011, 11:40 AM
Maybe you should ask Muslims how they feel about Tebow's antics, instead of assuming that Christians would react in one way or another? Also even though we have freedom of religion, we are a country where the majority are Christians so some reaction good or bad would be normal.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 11:40 AM
Cuz I'm cranky and don't want to even see a thread title that is this uh well silly!

:excitement:

picasso
12/18/2011, 11:44 AM

If it's pissing you off then I think he should keep doing it.

picasso
12/18/2011, 11:48 AM
I don't recall too many people getting upset over mike Tyson praising Allah after all his fights.

So true! Perhaps Timmy should hold a presser and tell Tom Brady he's gonna eat his chillrens.

cherokeebrewer
12/18/2011, 11:53 AM
The 'Tim Tebow' Obsession is alive & well...

SoonerMarkVA
12/18/2011, 12:43 PM

Tebow's overt displays are an embarrassment. They would be equally embarrassing if they were in support of Islam. However, freedom of religion means that he has every right to express it in any way he wishes, provided that he is not infringing on others' rights.

We also enjoy the rights to criticize him, admire him, or hold any other view of him with the same caveat. As such, it's pretty clear that most people in this country would attack him for his same antics were they in support of Islam. If people wish to engage in personal bigotry based on the practice of one religion as opposed to another, as long as said beliefs don't infringe on the rights of individuals, then they are free to do so. The generalizations about Islam and its adherents expressed in this thread so far are pretty sad and rest upon the same sort of weak or false generalizations that coastal folks use to base their opinions of "Okies".

It also seems pretty clear that a sizable number of people do attack or criticize Tebow for his actions, so the fact that he is Christian isn't giving him any sort of enforced preferential treatment. He puts on his show, and people either salute it, ignore it, or s**t on it. That people would choose to salute in one situation, but not if the situation were different (re: which religion is being promoted) doesn't require hypocrisy. The hypocrisy would be if those who salute Tebow's antics would wish to force suppression of the same were it in the name of Islam, or to quash those who would praise those antics in support of Islam. If they just don't support it themselves because they find Islam offensive, or wrong, or whatever, then they have every right to do so.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/18/2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul2dhNaQgxM

SoonerPride
12/18/2011, 01:02 PM
Also, would you be just as upset at all the fun being made of tebow if he were Muslim? Are you anti religion or just anti christian?

I'm pro - rational thought.

LiveLaughLove
12/18/2011, 01:18 PM
If Tebow were Muslim people would be hands off. The media would probably even love him more for being in the face to Christians.

I would dislike him because I believe Islam to be a false evil religion, and he would be promoting it. For those that dislike Christianity, I am sure they dislike his "antics" just as much.

Was Jesus a hypocrite when he said there is only ONE way to the father and that was through him? He was being exclusive and very un-PC, yet there it is.

I have no problem with Muslims being allowed to worship in America peacefully. I don't mind if they publicly display it. I just don't approve of their religion.

Imagine if our country were 80% Muslim instead of majority Christian (we aren't anywhere close to 80% TRULY Christian).

Christians would not be allowed to worship publicly. No new church's would be allowed to be built. Christians would have unequal rights in Sharia courts. Christians could be killed for open displays of their religion. Christians could not kneel and pray after a TD. In fact, every player would be required to publicly acknowledge ONLY Islam. A Muslim Tim Tebow would just be same same as all other players.

Thank God (and not Allah) that we are a predominately Christian nation, huh.

8timechamps
12/18/2011, 01:29 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and move this one to the political forumz.

TXBOOMER
12/18/2011, 03:53 PM
Regardless of what space god he believes in, it is his right. Many vets and active military members have killed lots of people who believe different than him to preserve his right.

LiveLaughLove
12/18/2011, 03:53 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/grM2sb7VYSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/grM2sb7VYSs

What a me myself and I fake Christian this guy is. I see the hypocrisy oozing from his veins. Singing worship songs during warm ups and in game, nah, just fake crap for the media. It's obvious his teammates and coaches hate him and see through his shtick.

(Hope the video works)

Turd_Ferguson
12/18/2011, 05:22 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/grM2sb7VYSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a me myself and I fake Christian this guy is. I see the hypocrisy oozing from his veins. Singing worship songs during warm ups and in game, nah, just fake crap for the media. It's obvious his teammates and coaches hate him and see through his shtick.

(Hope the video works)

grM2sb7VYSs

pappy
12/18/2011, 09:19 PM

If you're sick of watching Tebow and hearing about Tebow...change the channel dumb***. You actually like hearing about Tebow. The reason the media hasn't stopped talking about Tebow is because they are getting good ratings when they talk about Tebow and when they show Tebow on their channel. Do you know who's fault that is? Yours. The Fact is, is Tebow is the flavor of the season and the media is going to milk that until the ratings with it go down.

As for your Muslim question. I couldn't care less if he were Muslim, doing his Muslim business. At the end of the day all that matters is that he is winning games. He is doing his own private praise to who he believes deserves it. It's not Tebow's fault it is shown on tv. He is not trying to convert you pathetic agnostic or whatever it is you are. Why don't you go live in your own feces and urine while occupying wall street again? F****** Crybaby!

SCOUT
12/18/2011, 09:31 PM

(Hope the video works)

That particular song is pretty much a pop song. So does it make me a fake Christian because I sing "Why Me Lord" by Conway Twitty?

It was really crappy the way he remembered that kid from Florida too. What a jackass.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/18/2011, 09:35 PM
I hate Tebow because he is/was a Gator. Is that okay?

yermom
12/18/2011, 09:53 PM
I hate Tebow because he is/was a Gator. Is that okay?

i think that is a lot of what it comes down to

SoonernAR
12/18/2011, 10:07 PM
Christians should be spending more time being Christians then public displays of praising Jesus.

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2011, 10:09 PM
If my aunt had a d*ck, she'd be my uncle.

SCOUT
12/18/2011, 10:26 PM
Christians should be spending more time being Christians then public displays of praising Jesus.

I am sure they value your reasoned advice and will give it the consideration it deserves.

SoonernAR
12/18/2011, 11:35 PM
I am sure they value your reasoned advice and will give it the consideration it deserves.

They should, despite your poor example of sarcasm.

BoomerJ
12/18/2011, 11:36 PM
I guess if he was a Muslim he would've ended his Florida rant with Alla bless.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/19/2011, 12:08 AM
He could be on reality show All-American Muslim, which is on TLC right now. And he'd need to be traded to Detroit for a big Muslim fan base.

StoopTroup
12/19/2011, 01:19 AM

Wrong. You are very confused. The Law in this Country allows Freedom of Religion. Tim can do whatever he wants as long as it doesn't affect his Work. I seriously doubt anyone in the NFL or Broncos Organization is going to take on his unrelentingly and extreme compassion towards his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. No more that anyone took on Cassius Clay or Tyson for joining Islam. In 1967, three years after Ali had won the World Heavyweight Championship, he was publicly vilified for his refusal to be conscripted into the U.S. Military based on his religious beliefs and opposition to the Vietnam War. Ali still didn't go and he didn't do jail time for it either.

Ali would eventually be arrested and found guilty on draft evasion charges; he was stripped of his boxing title, and his boxing license was suspended. He was not imprisoned, but did not fight again for nearly four years while his appeal worked its way up to the U.S. Supreme Court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Supreme_Court), where it was eventually successful.

Nobody in their right mind will ever take on the position that it is an embarrassment when a player snaps both bones in his leg and as they are preparing to cart him off the field that the guys on the Team are praying that he's going to be OK is a Public Spectacle.

Nobody is ever going to stop a conviction like this either....even if you publicly vilify him for his beliefs.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snjw2ENkix0

StoopTroup
12/19/2011, 01:34 AM
Also...The USSR tried to get rid of religion....Hilter tried to exterminate the Jews....we all know how that turned out.

Blue
12/19/2011, 03:32 AM

Muslim Tebow would be beyond criticism in this PC society. And what is funny is that you would be first to defend him.

usaosooner
12/19/2011, 03:59 AM
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Tebowing = T.O pulling the sharpie out of his sock.

soonerhubs
12/19/2011, 06:57 AM
His antics annoy me, but I don't hate or vilify the guy (Perhaps ******fy, but not vilify).

cleller
12/19/2011, 09:46 AM
Muslims are the Longhorns of religion.

Midtowner
12/19/2011, 09:55 AM
Other than observing Tebow being an unbelievable dork, i.e., bursting into song at totally inappropriate moments in the above video clip, IDGAS. And we see Muslims wearing their faith on their sleeve all the time. No biggie.

SoonerorLater
12/19/2011, 09:56 AM
"But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark 16:15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation

Tebows ministry nevers stops. Christianity isn't a "part-time" endeavor.

Dale Ellis
12/19/2011, 10:20 AM

We're a nation founded on Christian principals, so, yes, I would be offended. Seems the only public display of religion the left is tolerant of, is when some "artist" desecrates some religious symbol. When that happens, we're supposed to all accept and appreciate it as "art".

Well, a cheerleaders cleavage should be kept private as well,but I bet you don't have any problem with an NFL cheerleader sticking her rack in the camera for all to see, do you?

stoopified
12/19/2011, 04:24 PM
WHY WOULD ANYONE CARE?

5thYearSooner
12/19/2011, 04:37 PM

So if a Muslim plays for your football team and scores you still wouldn't appreciate it because he is not on your religious team :miserable:

Dale Ellis
12/19/2011, 04:40 PM
So if a Muslim plays for your football team and scores you still wouldn't appreciate it because he is not on your religious team :miserable:

Pretty much, yep!

5thYearSooner
12/19/2011, 04:54 PM
Pretty much, yep!

OUCH! By that logic, you support people/players of your religion,race,country, state,city,neighborhood,street,home,family,you...S o you only appreciate yourself eventually..

Dale Ellis
12/19/2011, 05:06 PM
OUCH! By that logic, you support people/players of your religion,race,country, state,city,neighborhood,street,home,family,you...S o you only appreciate yourself eventually..

and by your logic, you'd support the guy who flies planes into buildings.

AlboSooner
12/20/2011, 01:07 AM

I have read this verse many times used as an objection to Tebow's display of his faith. When interpreting Scripture one must interpret it in context, mainly asking the questions, what were the circumstances and to whom was Jesus saying this.

The circumstances:
Jesus was preaching to a crowd that was used to seeing its religious leaders pray in public but fail to live the life. Jesus was preaching this to the multitudes in order to contrast with the fake style of worship the religious leaders practiced at the time. Religious leaders believed they could be saved by works, and the works were the keeping of the law, and other religious duties. Public prayers.

Audience:
A Jewish people drowned in legalism, and circumcision of the flesh rather than the heart. Jesus' audience are his disciples, the multitudes and the teachers of the law.

The message:
Unless there is a conviction of the heart, and a true worship of God in spirit, public demonstrations of faith are fake and do not fool God. God is personal. We are saved by faith in God, not my religious works.

What it doesn't say:
It is bad for anybody to pray in public, and in front of people.

How does it relate to Tebow.
It doesn't. Tebow is not a religious leader trying to get saved by his works, he is not trying to appear holier than thou by praying in public. The guy just want to honor God in everything he does. In an atmosphere where God is being foreshadowed by everything, Tebow brings not attention to himself as much attention to his Lord.

hawaii 5-0
12/20/2011, 01:37 AM
OK, what if Tebow was a Hare Krishna and passed out incense sticks after a touchdown and then asked for a donation. Legal?

Rama Rama

5-0

sappstuf
12/20/2011, 06:54 AM
The fact that Tebow has won several games as a starting NFL QB is proof that there is a god and he is a Christian god.

And that he hates me...

5thYearSooner
12/20/2011, 09:12 AM
and by your logic, you'd support the guy who flies planes into buildings.

I don't expect you to understand my logic. You proved that I'm right again.

cleller
12/20/2011, 10:03 AM
Pat Robertson added an interesting twist on the topic with his criticism of the SNL skit about Tebow and Jesus. He noted that if Mohammed had been stuck in a skit like that bombs would be going off everywhere.

Given what happened over the Mohammed cartoons, you can imagine the poopstorm that would rise if SNL did such a skit. That kind of reaction seems isolated to the Muslim religion, just in case you argue the they are currently no more prone to violence than Christians.

5thYearSooner
12/20/2011, 10:29 AM
Yep, Muslims don't seem to accept any kind of Image for Mohammed. You can draw a highly respectable image of him and yet there will be protests..never understood why ..but i understand its a big No No..

Dale Ellis
12/20/2011, 03:27 PM
I don't expect you to understand my logic. You proved that I'm right again.

Please show me where else I proved you were right, since you stated I've done it more than once? (see highlighted)

I may be better able to understand your logic, if you presented any argument that was based off of logic.:excitement:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/20/2011, 04:03 PM
If he were a muslim, he'd have been drummed out of the NFL after he beheaded his first or second opponent. Probably the second, since we believe so much in tolerance and diversity.This is the correct answer. Ye cats, what a dou*hey thread!

5thYearSooner
12/20/2011, 04:18 PM
Pretty much, yep!

Right here!

5thYearSooner
12/20/2011, 04:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Muslims#Sports
I'm sure most of you here appreciate the achievements of these Americans

SanJoaquinSooner
12/20/2011, 05:09 PM
Clarence Page's article on reaction to Muslims was in my local paper today. Innersting article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-oped-1214-page-20111214,0,1065749.column

Dale Ellis
12/20/2011, 05:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Muslims#Sports

And I'm sure most of us haven't given you the authority to speak on our behalf.

12/20/2011, 07:09 PM
Very typical eyes closed behavior. Have not people been making jokes of Tebow left and right for years? Its OK to do that; but make a joke about a muslim and the knee jerks come yelling and screaming. Now that's hypocrisy.It's a wonder how ANYBODY misses that reality, isn't it?

12/20/2011, 07:13 PM
SoonerorLater...I agree with your statement. If Tebow was Muslim, then I also would not watch his games due to the fact that I am not Muslim and I do not believe in that type of religion. If Tebow was Muslim and he display his faith, then yes many people would be criticizing him just like they are criticizing him for sharing his Christian faith. As Americans, we have freedom of Religion because not all people believe in the same faith. Basically we have the right to accept it or not. Does that make people hypocrites? In my opinion...NO. I spent last year in Afghanistan and I witness and learned a lot about Islam. I observed how they pray, how they act towards others, and I saw how they lived their lives daily. Simply, I do not agree with it or like it and I have the right to not accept it just like Muslims have the right not to accept the Christian faith.Your(our) laws do NOT allow you to whack a person who disagrees with your religious beliefs. The moslems' laws DO allow it. Is said whacking justified because their **** religion approves, or condones it?

12/20/2011, 08:01 PM
Would it be hypocritical if I cheered for Tebow for being a heterosexual male, engaged in premarital relationships with the cheerleaders, but not cheer for him if he has unnatural relationships with sheep?FU is the ag school for the state of FL(they don't seem to like to discuss that much) Therefore, a Tebow relationship with a ram or ewe would NOT BE EEEWWWW! NO, it would instead be a natural relationship.

AlboSooner
12/20/2011, 08:47 PM
Pat Robertson added an interesting twist on the topic with his criticism of the SNL skit about Tebow and Jesus. He noted that if Mohammed had been stuck in a skit like that bombs would be going off everywhere.

Given what happened over the Mohammed cartoons, you can imagine the poopstorm that would rise if SNL did such a skit. That kind of reaction seems isolated to the Muslim religion, just in case you argue the they are currently no more prone to violence than Christians.

I used the same kind of argument some time ago, but I have changed my mind. The reason why people make fun of Jesus but not of Mohamet is because Christianity is superior to Islam. Even if you assume God not to exist, Christianity as a philosophy as a way of life, as a soothing presence in society, is superior to Islam by leaps and bounds. Just look at the countries where Christians live and the countries where Moslems live.

Don't think for a second secular America likes Islam. They only feel sorry for Moslems who are stereotyped as terrorists. Liberal-minded folk feel sorry for Moslems because they are minority. That's a noble gesture.

5thYearSooner
12/21/2011, 08:37 AM

Don't mix yourself with the rest of the SF members, you clearly are an exception and you don't speak on behalf of them either. You lost your credibility(IMO) when you said wouldn't appreciate OUr team player if he is a Muslim

cleller
12/21/2011, 09:02 AM
Muslims are crabby all the time because what they really want is a pulled pork sandwich and a beer.

I also enjoy the fact that our special forces always find porn on the computers of these muslim radicals. Just another bunch of backsliding hypocrites.

I know that has nothing to do with the Tebow thing, but can't let a good zing escape. I do doubt you'd find porn on Tebow's computer, though.

sitzpinkler
12/21/2011, 11:28 AM
I don't care what religion a player is. If he acts like an attention whore, I won't like him. Tebow acts like an attention whore. He can slang all the Christianity he wants; that doesn't bother me at all. It wouldn't bother me if a Muslim did it. I don't choose to like or dislike a player (or anybody for that matter) based on their religion. IMO, that's absurd. Tebow just comes across as a d**che.

12/21/2011, 12:00 PM
I don't care what religion a player is. If he acts like an attention whore, I won't like him. Tebow acts like an attention whore. He can slang all the Christianity he wants; that doesn't bother me at all. It wouldn't bother me if a Muslim did it. I don't choose to like or dislike a player (or anybody for that matter) based on their religion. IMO, that's absurd. Tebow just comes across as a d**che.Long time no see/hear! You've picked up right where you left off.

sitzpinkler
12/21/2011, 04:40 PM
Whatever. What exactly do you disagree with? That I don't hate people based on religion? Or are you a Tebow lover?

12/21/2011, 07:31 PM
Whatever. What exactly do you disagree with? That I don't hate people based on religion? Or are you a Tebow lover?The media has decided to give him all the attention he gets. I believe the guy is sincere about his devotion to Christianity. It's interesting, and sad, how that drives a lot of folks angry.

sitzpinkler
12/22/2011, 10:22 AM
The media has decided to give him all the attention he gets. I believe the guy is sincere about his devotion to Christianity. It's interesting, and sad, how that drives a lot of folks angry.

Well, that's not what bothers me about him. If he is sincere, then more power to him.

Sooner_Bob
12/22/2011, 01:51 PM

I know I'm late to this thread, but seriously?

Hold it right there . . . if a Christian doesn't appreciate a public display of religion by a Muslim we're a hypocrite? You're freakin' joking right?

No place in the bible does it say that a Christian has to appreciate any other religion's activities.

Why are you embarrassed by Tebow's religious actions/pride?

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 02:15 PM
Don't mix yourself with the rest of the SF members, you clearly are an exception and you don't speak on behalf of them either. You lost your credibility(IMO) when you said wouldn't appreciate OUr team player if he is a Muslim

In the fist place you're lying, because that was not your question, the question was

So if a Muslim plays for your football team and scores you still wouldn't appreciate it because he is not on your religious team

I NEVER said I wouldn't "appreciate" OUr team player if he SCORED because he was a Muslim. We are talking about the actions taken after the act of scoring a TD, not the actions alone and too themselves of being a Muslim. So if I've lost credibility for being accused of saying something I never said, explain to us all how you maintain you're credibility by accusing me of saying it?

you don't speak on behalf of them either

You are the one who stated the following..

So explain to me why you are now accusing me of speaking on behalf of others, when you are the one who is so SURE of what others think and appreciate?

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 02:42 PM
Ia public display of religion by a Muslim

Lets keep this to Tebow Only and if he were a Muslim..

Know you stand in 5 simple steps...:excitement:

1)You Criticize TT now?If your answer is "Yes",go to line2 If "No" Go to line3
2)You criticize if he were a Muslim?If "Yes" Go to line4. If "No" Go to line5
3)You criticize if he were a Muslim?If "Yes" Go to line5. If "No" Go to line4
4)You are OK
5)You are a Hypocrite.

:)

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 02:44 PM

See how used "Sure" here

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 02:51 PM
See how used "Sure" here

You're right, let me rephrase that "all of you that have given this "person" the right to speak for you and on your behalf" please say so in this thread.

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 02:54 PM
You're right

I know!

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 03:01 PM

4)You are OK
5)You are a Hypocrite.

Do you know what a hypocrite is?
How am I a hypocrite if the faith I have and believe in is shared by others and I accept their public displays of that faith? The fact that I don't accept all religious beliefs and public displays of those beliefs, does not make me a hypocrite just because I accept the pubic display of my religious beliefs and displays.

You need to check the dictionary there bro and learn the meaning of "hypocrite"

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 03:02 PM
I know!

according to you, you know what others are thinking.

12/22/2011, 03:05 PM
DO YOU have the new TEBOW App, for your phone?

Welll then, you better get one!

Sooner98
12/22/2011, 03:29 PM

4)You are OK
5)You are a Hypocrite.

Whatever.

This is like saying that if you don't criticize someone whose favorite color is red, but then criticize someone whose favorite color is blue, then you are a "hypocrite." Seems like the word hypocrite gets used so haphazardly anymore, that people don't even understand the definition of the word.

I'm sure you would have no problem whatsoever in telling an atheist that their overt atheism is an embarrassment, and should be kept private, right?

Sooner_Bob
12/22/2011, 03:40 PM

4)You are OK
5)You are a Hypocrite.

Uhhhhh . . . what?

Sooner_Bob
12/22/2011, 03:41 PM
DO YOU have the new TEBOW App, for your phone?

Welll then, you better get one!

I'm Tebowing on it now . . .

KantoSooner
12/22/2011, 03:44 PM
I'm wondering what 'overt' atheism would look like.

Let's say an overt atheist scored a touchdown. What would he do to be 'overtly atheistic'? Maybe jump around in celebration a little? (After all, even a superstar will experience this what? 100 times or less in a career. it's a special event.) Perhaps grab his crotch suggestively? (why? who knows, some guys just can't distinguish one form of joy from another). Perhaps a fist pump in the air. An index finger raised in momentary supremacy?

MY GOD! All these years I thought black athletes of the 1970's and 1980's were just more exuberant and expressive than their white cohorts. Now it turns out they were all overt atheists! Oooooooooooooh, I feel ill. We've been duped. The damned atheists were there all along, mocking us and we, we, .......we cheered.

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 03:49 PM
according to you, you know what others are thinking.

You said "You're Right"
I said "I know"

Where did others come into this..?

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 03:56 PM
No matter what religion, your stand should be consistent..
Do you support the players' display of faith in field or not?
Simple yes or no.
If you qualify your answer by saying ..only if( he is a Muslim or Christian or any other religion) its hypocrisy...

cleller
12/22/2011, 04:02 PM
I bet a muslim couldn't tackle Tebow.

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 04:16 PM
No matter what religion, your stand should be consistent..
Simple yes or no.
If you qualify your answer by saying ..only if( he is a Muslim or Christian or any other religion) its hypocrisy...

again, look up the word hypocrite because it's painfully obvious you have no idea what the word means or how to use it in a sentence.

Let me help. If I tell you not to rob a bank, then I rob a bank, I'm a hypocrite.

If I tell you I don't have a problem with Tebow displaying his Christian faith in a pubic format, but I do have a problem with Muslim player displaying is faith, I am not a hypocrite.

All forms of grass are plant life, but not all plant life is grass. Understand???

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 04:17 PM
You said "You're Right"
I said "I know"

Where did others come into this..?

when you made the comment "I'm sure" then proceeded to tell us you knew what others were thinking.

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 04:29 PM
then proceeded to tell us you knew what others were thinking.

Why do you keep using the word "us". And who are you representing?

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 04:32 PM
And for your reading pleasure...here i say it again
"No matter what religion, your stand should be consistent..
Simple yes or no.
If you qualify your answer by saying ..only if( he is a Muslim or Christian or any other religion) its hypocrisy... "

Hope this time its less painful!

5thYearSooner
12/22/2011, 04:35 PM
rob a bank, then I rob a bank

You had to use " rob a bank". Twice

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 06:46 PM
Why do you keep using the word "us". And who are you representing?

You know, the same "us" you were talking about when you said ..

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you Skippy.

Dale Ellis
12/22/2011, 06:51 PM
And for your reading pleasure...here i say it again
"No matter what religion, your stand should be consistent..
Simple yes or no.
If you qualify your answer by saying ..only if( he is a Muslim or Christian or any other religion) its hypocrisy... "

Hope this time its less painful!

So we can't qualify our answer but you can qualify your question?

By your definition, anyone that doesn't like or approve of EVERYTHING is a hypocrite, either by their actions or thoughts. Do you eat your boogers? If not, but you eat something else, then your a hypocrite, according to YOUR logic.
How can you justify eating one thing, yet condemn eating something else. They're both the act of eating, the only difference is what's being eaten. Tebow vs the Muslim, in your scenario they're both in the act of publicly displaying their religious faith, the only difference is what faith is being displayed.
Now if you want to change this argument into a "should a Muslim have the right to publicly display his faith at a sporting event the way Tim Tebow does?", we can go that route.
To say if I don't morally approve of a Muslim publicly displaying his religious beliefs, I'm a hypocrite, well again, that just shows that you have no idea what the word hypocrite means.
Hope this time it's less painful.

5thYearSooner
12/23/2011, 08:40 AM
You know, the same "us" you were talking about when you said ..

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you Skippy.
Where did you see "Us" in my post?
I never tried to represent anybody ...If i were, you would have read the post.."
I'm sure most of US here appreciate "
See the difference...? Its OK that you are confused...I don't expect you to understand..after that "Pretty much Yep!" comment you made..

5thYearSooner
12/23/2011, 08:45 AM
So we can't qualify our answer but you can qualify your question?

By your definition, anyone that doesn't like or approve of EVERYTHING is a hypocrite, either by their actions or thoughts. Do you eat your boogers? If not, but you eat something else, then your a hypocrite, according to YOUR logic.
How can you justify eating one thing, yet condemn eating something else. They're both the act of eating, the only difference is what's being eaten. Tebow vs the Muslim, in your scenario they're both in the act of publicly displaying their religious faith, the only difference is what faith is being displayed.
Now if you want to change this argument into a "should a Muslim have the right to publicly display his faith at a sporting event the way Tim Tebow does?", we can go that route.
To say if I don't morally approve of a Muslim publicly displaying his religious beliefs, I'm a hypocrite, well again, that just shows that you have no idea what the word hypocrite means.
Hope this time it's less painful.

I asked a question and asked not to qualify you answer..If you think you cant do that, you have right not to respond...and if you do it correctly,Its called taking a stand..simple yes or no...
and man cant you come up with any good analogies other than rob a bank or eating boogers? Jeez!

And I never said I was in pain...It was YOU who was in PAIN..Obviously...

5thYearSooner
12/23/2011, 09:39 AM
"should a Muslim have the right to publicly display his faith at a sporting event the way Tim Tebow does?", we can go that route.

Well Muslim or not, everybody has a right...if you morally don't approve of just Muslims publicly displaying their religious beliefs, well then you ARE a hypocrite, who lives in this country but doesn't believe in the constitution of this Great Nation

Dale Ellis
12/23/2011, 09:56 AM
Well Muslim or not, everybody has a right...if you morally don't approve of just Muslims publicly displaying their religious beliefs, well then you ARE a hypocrite

No, if I said a christian had the right to publicly display his religious beliefs but a Muslim did not, then I'd be a hypocrite. That concept just doesn't stick in your brain does it. Maybe your ma'ma fed you paint chips when you were a child or maybe you're just pretending to be ignorant. Tell me the difference between what you are saying and my "booger" analogy?

By your standard EVERYONE must accept EVERYTHING, all the time or their a hypocrite. I'll assume you're a college football fan, I'll also assume, since this is an OU message board, you're an OU fan. I'll also assume since you're an OU fan, you hate UT and their football team. So are you a hypocrite, be it via your actions towards UT or your thoughts about UT? According to your logic you are.

You lost all credibility when you lied earlier in this thread by trying to change a question you had asked me, in order to make it appear I had answered that question in a manner which would expose me as a hypocrite. Again, it's painfully obvious that you have no idea what a hypocrite is.

Again, if you want to turn this into a "should a Muslim have the same right, in our country to publicly display his religious beliefs?" argument, we can.

Frankly your insentient contradictions of your own logic are boring, shallow and pedantic.

Dale Ellis
12/23/2011, 10:00 AM
Well Muslim or not, everybody has a right..

I NEVER said a Muslim didn't have the right did I? I simply said, I don't have to approve of it. That doesn't make me a hypocrite. Now if I approved of one muslims rights to do so but not another, then you may have a valid point.

5thYearSooner
12/23/2011, 10:59 AM
By your standard EVERYONE must accept EVERYTHING

I never said that..I only said be consistent and say yes or no..since you cant do that and getting all defensive...i will let you live in your own f'd up world and pray for you.

5thYearSooner
12/23/2011, 11:06 AM
You're right, let me rephrase that "all of you that have given this "person" the right to speak for you and on your behalf" please say so in this thread.

Here...no one responded to your request directly...which shows how much credibility you have..So stop trying to use the word "us" and don't call yourself a sooner fan when you cant appreciate any sooner player's achievements just because he is not a christian...

"Pretty much Yep!" What a moron!

Dale Ellis
12/24/2011, 12:21 AM
Here...no one responded to your request directly...which shows how much credibility you have..So stop trying to use the word "us" and don't call yourself a sooner fan when you cant appreciate any sooner player's achievements just because he is not a christian...

"Pretty much Yep!" What a moron!

Again, are you ignorant our just pretending to be? If I ask everyone on this thread who has given you permission to speak on their behalf, to state so, and no one replies, the obvious conclusion is that NO ONE has given you that permission. Yet you in your infinite duncedum, interpret it to mean that I have no credibility because no one has replied. No it just means nobody wants you to speak on their behalf.

Dale Ellis
12/24/2011, 12:26 AM
I never said that..I only said be consistent and say yes or no..since you cant do that and getting all defensive...i will let you live in your own f'd up world and pray for you.

You said if I approve of Tebow doing it and not someone else, I'm a hypocrite. The problem with your whole scenario is you're taking two different things and trying to make them the same. Tebow praising Christ in a Christian manner is not the same as a Muslim praising whoever it is they praise in and Islamic manner.

That's like saying, if you like fords, you have to like all makes of automobiles because a ford is an automobile otherwise you're a hypocrite. Again, all birds are animals, but not all animals are birds. I'm sure that one flew right over your head. (not pun intended)

SCOUT
12/24/2011, 12:44 AM
Well Muslim or not, everybody has a right...if you morally don't approve of just Muslims publicly displaying their religious beliefs, well then you ARE a hypocrite, who lives in this country but doesn't believe in the constitution of this Great Nation
Help me understand where the constitution says I have to morally approve. Thanks.

AlboSooner
12/24/2011, 08:00 AM
Tebow has caused much discussion about God and religion. Thats a good thing.
If Tehow were a Moslem I would not like his display of faith because I already think Islam is a cult.
It doesn't make me a hypocrite when my stance all along is that Christianity is the only way.

If I were not a Christian but rather a semi-spiritual and secular person, then I could be a hypocrite if I chose one over the other.

5thYearSooner
12/24/2011, 04:40 PM
Again, are you ignorant our just pretending to be? If I ask everyone on this thread who has given you permission to speak on their behalf, to state so, and no one replies, the obvious conclusion is that NO ONE has given you that permission. Yet you in your infinite duncedum, interpret it to mean that I have no credibility because no one has replied. No it just means nobody wants you to speak on their behalf.

i never said i was representing anyone..you grouped urself with some imaginary supporters of yours by using "us" in ur posts..i simply said "most of the people" so go back to school and learn English..

And you lost credibility when first when u said "pretty much yep!"

I never asked any one to speak on my behalf unlike you who pleaded people to post in ur support..

5thYearSooner
12/24/2011, 04:45 PM
Help me understand where the constitution says I have to morally approve. Thanks.
It doesn't say..but imo if you believe in The Constitution, you wouldn't disapprove a Muslim player's celebration and approve christian players celebration..

But for some idiots approving a Muslims players on field is same as approving people flying planes into buildings..

pphilfran
12/24/2011, 07:28 PM
After 4 interceptions he would be stoned....

Dale Ellis
12/25/2011, 02:02 AM
i simply said "most of the people"

Again another lie, you said "I'm SURE most people", I never pleaded with any to post in my support, I simply wanted those who gave you permission to speak on their behalf when you said "I'm sure most people" to come forward and confirm that they had indeed given you permission.

And you lost credibility when first when u said "pretty much yep!"

No more so than you, when yo continue to lie and continue to misquote yourself. You whole premise is flawed because you have no idea what a hypocrite is, yet, you continue to call people hypocrites. I've never said a Muslim player didn't have the right to publicly display his/her religious beliefs. I simply said I don't have to accept or support those beliefs.
I've given a couple of simple analogies, to make so easy, even YOU can understand it, but apparently you either can't comprehend it or are just pretending you can't. Address the points I've made. If I like Fords and Fords are automobiles, by your logic, I must like ALL makes of automobiles, otherwise I'm a hypocrite. Show me the flaw in the statement I just made, but in doing so, you must apply your logic to your response, otherwise, you're a hypocrite, because you're demanding that we accept your logic as fact, when your applying it to your side of the argument, yet when we apply that same logic to our side of the argument to show how flawed it is, you want us to ignore the flaw.

Dale Ellis
12/25/2011, 02:10 AM
It doesn't say..but imo if you believe in The Constitution, you wouldn't disapprove a Muslim player's celebration and approve christian players celebration..

Please show me where, within the constitution, I have to "APPROVE" of anything. If you believe the constitution says that I have to approve of something, then you obviously have never read it.

But for some idiots approving a Muslims players on field is same as approving people flying planes into buildings

No one on this thread has ever said approving of a Muslim player showing their faith publicly was the same as approving of people flying planes into buildings. Again, you're misquoting/lying in order to try to make yourself look as if you're correct. I simply carried your logic to it's conclusion to show how idiotic it was. Obviously you agree 100%, because you just argued against that logic, as evident in the comments I just quoted.

Midtowner
12/27/2011, 10:25 AM
Folks seem to be confusing multiple issues here.

First issue: Would a Muslim NFL star have the constitutional right to be vocal about his religion? Yes, but only to the point that the government couldn't interfere and others couldn't unconstitutionally interfere. For example, if the NFL told Mohammed Tebow that he had to stop being so public about his Islamic beliefs or be fired/benched, he'd have a lawsuit.

Second issue: Would we all have to approve of an Islamic Tebow? Nope. The First Amendment cuts both ways. If he gets to have his free speech, all of the religious bigots are free to speak their minds as well. Just look at this message board. The feds aren't going to swoop in and shut the site down, unless, of course, the current online copyright protection act passes and some of the videos above, which are the property of the NFL are found to be illegal, but that'd be on copyright grounds, not the content of speech.

As for me, I personally wouldn't give a crap either way. Presently, I see Tebow as an amazing athlete who is also kind of a tool. I mean the breaking out into religious hymns at totally inappropriate moments, etc., make him a dork in my eyes, despite his athletic prowess. That's about where I end my criticism though. What the heck difference does it make to me if he wants to go out and subject himself to public ridicule like that? I'm sure the folks in Denver think he's a good enough QB to be starting. Beyond that, I don't see the controversy here.

AlboSooner
12/27/2011, 02:14 PM
After 4 interceptions he would be stoned....

Hahaha

Ike
12/27/2011, 03:12 PM
If Tebow were muslim, my opinion of him would be unchanged. Marginally gifted tool whom I enjoy rooting against.

5thYearSooner
12/28/2011, 01:14 PM
If Tebow were muslim, my opinion of him would be unchanged. Marginally gifted tool whom I enjoy rooting against.

Winner!

Dale Ellis
12/31/2011, 11:10 PM
Folks seem to be confusing multiple issues here.

First issue: Would a Muslim NFL star have the constitutional right to be vocal about his religion? Yes, but only to the point that the government couldn't interfere and others couldn't unconstitutionally interfere. For example, if the NFL told Mohammed Tebow that he had to stop being so public about his Islamic beliefs or be fired/benched, he'd have a lawsuit.

Second issue: Would we all have to approve of an Islamic Tebow? Nope. The First Amendment cuts both ways. If he gets to have his free speech, all of the religious bigots are free to speak their minds as well. Just look at this message board. The feds aren't going to swoop in and shut the site down, unless, of course, the current online copyright protection act passes and some of the videos above, which are the property of the NFL are found to be illegal, but that'd be on copyright grounds, not the content of speech.

As for me, I personally wouldn't give a crap either way. Presently, I see Tebow as an amazing athlete who is also kind of a tool. I mean the breaking out into religious hymns at totally inappropriate moments, etc., make him a dork in my eyes, despite his athletic prowess. That's about where I end my criticism though. What the heck difference does it make to me if he wants to go out and subject himself to public ridicule like that? I'm sure the folks in Denver think he's a good enough QB to be starting. Beyond that, I don't see the controversy here.

Well said... There is no controversy here, but for some reason a couple of guys on this thread want to create one.