PDA

View Full Version : The decussification of the word suck....

Soonerus
12/18/2011, 01:26 AM
When did this occur, 10-15 years ago ???

yermom
12/18/2011, 01:28 AM
Huh?

Soonerus
12/18/2011, 01:34 AM
"suck" used to be a cuss word...but that has eroded over the years whereby "suck" is frequently used everywhere today...

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 01:53 AM
Just like any word, the more they are used in common conversation the less shock value of the word.
Take **** for example 40 years ago a man would moren likely get an asswhoopin if he used that word in front of wimmen er Kids, Now the wimmens and Kids use it regularly

En_Fuego
12/18/2011, 02:47 AM
Fornication Under Consent of the King

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2011, 02:51 AM
Barry Switzer?

En_Fuego
12/18/2011, 02:55 AM
Barry Switzer?

Lol......

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

OUstud
12/18/2011, 03:56 AM
I think everyone realized that saying "stinks" instead of "sucks" sounds really childish. It also doesn't help having ad campaigns like, "Quitting smoking sucks".

Peach Fuzz
12/18/2011, 06:43 AM
I remember in grade school getting in 'timeout' for saying sucks~mid 90's. After about 3rd grade it was accepted more or less.

Peach Fuzz
12/18/2011, 06:46 AM
One of you older fellas maybe able to help me on this one. How long has the 'F' word been used and when did it become so popular? I heard ww2 is when it started picking up and the counter culture made it popular. Correct?

pphilfran
12/18/2011, 07:30 AM
During the first Earth Day my English Lit teacher (a young, wild chick, bout a 7, she gave 'shots' sitting on the edge of her desk) gave us a day off from class to make an Earth Day poster...A contest, it was! The entire school got to vote for their favorite

So we each teamed up with another classmate for the project...I was with this strange hippy chick...we made a psychedelic poster with a huge header...

POLLUTION SUCKS

Then written in small yellow print in the middle of a black splotch in the center of the poster was...

The Breath Out of You

Up on the school hallway walls all of the posters were placed...

We were a shoe in to win in a landslide...

Sadly our poster was banned from the competition and taken down...

To this day I cry myself to sleep thinking about my loss...

C&CDean
12/18/2011, 08:04 AM
You're crying thinking about #7's coochie coo. Be honest.

pphilfran
12/18/2011, 09:16 AM
You're crying thinking about #7's coochie coo. Be honest.

I cannot tell a lie...

cleller
12/18/2011, 09:26 AM
This issue has perplexed me, too.

My memory is that in the early 70s the word was only used to describe a certain kind of girl, and what she did. By the time I hit high school, late 70s, it was beginning to be used to describe other situations, but still retained its sexual connotation. Was definitely not something to be caught saying in class, etc.

The good ole days when it was still possible (for a boy) to end up on the wrong end of a paddle.

C&CDean
12/18/2011, 09:28 AM
I was at church a few years back and the preacher used it a couple times in his sermon. Southern Baptist. If they'll say it, it's definitely decussified.

TUSooner
12/18/2011, 09:35 AM
I read in a book about the WW One genration that the f-word came intowider use in that especially nasty war, with words like un-f*cking-believable and in-f*cking-credible first appearing. I assume everyone knows that all the acronym etymologies of f*ck are totally bogus. (Consent of the King? Get the f*ck outtahere!)

Back in the late 60s & early 70s, suck usually was accompanied by a direct object, generally something phallic and repulsive like, "that sucks big green donkey schlongs." When the phallic object was dropped - out of mere laziness, one supposes, people gradually forgot, or pretended to forget, its roots in perverse fellatio. Now suck is more widely accepted, but only as long as nobody asks, "sucks what?"

Of course, other words are now widely accepted that used to not be, as$ being one that now appears fairly often, even in the sports pages, in the context of kicking it. D@mn, he11, and sh!t are evbidiently seen as relatively mild these days. Worst of all, imho, are f*cking and mother f*cker/ing. These words are used a conversational filler by the semi-literate classless class and are a sure sign to me that the speaker doesn't really have anything to say that's worth hearing. MF is especially gross and obscene, but it get tossed around like "uh" and "like" or even "guy." If you call some generic guy a MF'er, what's left as an insult?! The whole trend toward accepting profanity as commonplace sucks the sweaty testicles off Noah Webster's horse.

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 09:37 AM
I read in a book about the WW One genration that the f-word came intowider use in that especially nasty war, with words like un-f*cking-believable and in-f*cking-credible first appearing. I assume everyone knows that all the acronym etymologies of f*ck are totally bogus. (Consent of the King? Get the f*ck outtahere!)

Back in the late 60s & early 70s, suck usually was accompanied by a direct object, generally something phallic and repulsive like, "that sucks big green donkey schlongs." When the phallic object was dropped - out of mere laziness, one supposes, people gradually forgot, or pretended to forget, its roots in perverse fellatio. Now suck is more widely accepted, but only as long as nobody asks, "sucks what?"

Of course, other words are now widely accepted that used to not be, as$ being one that now appears fairly often, even in the sports pages, in the context of kicking it. D@mn, he11, and sh!t are evbidiently seen as relatively mild these days. Worst of all, imho, are f*cking and mother f*cker/ing. These words are used a conversational filler by the semi-literate classless class and are a sure sign to me that the speaker doesn't really have anything to say that's worth hearing. MF is especially gross and obscene, but it get tossed around like "uh" and "like" or even "guy." If you call some generic guy a MF'er, what's left as an insult?! The whole trend toward accepting profanity as commonplace sucks the sweaty testicles off Noah Webster's horse.
What the f*ck you talkin about? You mother****ing cracker assed white boy.:smiley_simmons:

C&CDean
12/18/2011, 10:05 AM
If you call some generic guy a MF'er, what's left as an insult?!

Aggy?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/18/2011, 10:36 AM
When my kids were in elementary school, the really bad S-word that got students in trouble was "stupid."

olevetonahill
12/18/2011, 10:47 AM
When my kids were in elementary school, the really bad S-word that got students in trouble was "stupid."

eso es estúpido

Jacie
12/18/2011, 12:23 PM
If there are any forbidden words left that have not gone mainstream, would someone clue me in as to what they are so I will know not to inadvertantly say any of them?

SoonerorLater
12/18/2011, 01:48 PM

I think the ongoing desensitization with regard to cussing says a lot about our current society. I'm not as much offended as just annoyed by incessant profanity. My particular dislike is movies where they seem like they are trying to figure out how to get another M*****F***** wedged into the dialog. I can't watch some of these movies anymore because all I find myself doing is waiting for the next F bomb. Yep all of this profanity sucks.

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2011, 03:08 PM
Words are just words.

cleller
12/18/2011, 07:08 PM
In what country was suck a cuss word? Never has been a cuss word here. Your parents lied to you.

Suck must have been decussified in Tennessee long before Oklahoma. If the word were uttered in the direction of a girl when I was 12-13, it was off to the principal.

yermom
12/18/2011, 07:12 PM
Carlin's seven words only includes it with :chicken:

SicEmBaylor
12/18/2011, 08:02 PM
This thread sucks.

yermom
12/18/2011, 10:36 PM
Rus just succs

Peach Fuzz
12/18/2011, 11:00 PM
This is kind of before the internet was popular.

Fraggle145
12/19/2011, 03:08 AM
When I go to my parents house, they really dont care if I say damn, hell, ***, or if I say **** or **** occassionally by accident. But if I say sucks it drives my dad so crazy its almost unforgivable.

Chuck Bao
12/19/2011, 04:57 AM
When I go to my parents house, they really dont care if I say damn, hell, ***, or if I say **** or **** occassionally by accident. But if I say sucks it drives my dad so crazy its almost unforgivable.

And, you can't tell him that the word "sucks" is a perfectly good biological term used in your scientific studies? Okay, so you are a scientist in the closet at home. I fully understand.

Chuck Bao
12/19/2011, 05:12 AM
I love etymology and the source of words.

The words "****" just gives me so much pleasure.

**** (v.)
until recently a difficult word to trace, in part because it was taboo to the editors of the original OED when the "F" volume was compiled, 1893-97. Written form only attested from early 16c. OED 2nd edition cites 1503, in the form fukkit; earliest appearance of current spelling is 1535 -- "Bischops ... may **** thair fill and be vnmaryit" [Sir David Lyndesay, "Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaits"], but presumably it is a much more ancient word than that, simply one that wasn't written in the kind of texts that have survived from O.E. and M.E. Buck cites proper name John le ****er from 1278. The word apparently is hinted at in a scurrilous 15c. poem, titled "Flen flyys," written in bastard Latin and M.E. The relevant line reads:

Non sunt in celi
quia fuccant uuiuys of heli

"They [the monks] are not in heaven because they **** the wives of [the town of] Ely." Fuccant is pseudo-Latin, and in the original it is written in cipher. The earliest examples of the word otherwise are from Scottish, which suggests a Scandinavian origin, perhaps from a word akin to Norwegian dialectal fukka "copulate," or Swedish dialectal focka "copulate, strike, push," and fock "penis." Another theory traces it to M.E. fyke, fike "move restlessly, fidget," which also meant "dally, flirt," and probably is from a general North Sea Germanic word; cf. M.Du. fokken, Ger. ficken "****," earlier "make quick movements to and fro, flick," still earlier "itch, scratch;" the vulgar sense attested from 16c. This would parallel in sense the usual M.E. slang term for "have sexual intercourse," swive, from O.E. swifan "to move lightly over, sweep" (see swivel). But OED remarks these "cannot be shown to be related" to the English word. Chronology and phonology rule out Shipley's attempt to derive it from M.E. firk "to press hard, beat."
Germanic words of similar form (f + vowel + consonant) and meaning 'copulate' are numerous. One of them is G. ficken. They often have additional senses, especially 'cheat,' but their basic meaning is 'move back and forth.' ... Most probably, **** is a borrowing from Low German and has no cognates outside Germanic. [Liberman]
French foutre and Italian fottere look like the English word but are unrelated, derived rather from L. futuere, which is perhaps from PIE base *bhau(t)- "knock, strike off," extended via a figurative use "from the sexual application of violent action" [Shipley; cf. the sexual slang use of bang, etc.]. Popular and Internet derivations from acronyms (and the "pluck yew" fable) are merely ingenious trifling. The O.E. word was hćman, from ham "dwelling, home," with a sense of "take home, co-habit." **** was outlawed in print in England (by the Obscene Publications Act, 1857) and the U.S. (by the Comstock Act, 1873). As a noun, it dates from 1670s. The word may have been shunned in print, but it continued in conversation, especially among soldiers during WWI.

Taxman71
12/19/2011, 07:31 AM
Bart Simpson make suck a household work. I also remember the first time I heard "***" on TV, Hawkeye said it on MASH.

Mississippi Sooner
12/19/2011, 11:29 AM
I remember when the phrase "son of a bitch" was first used on MASH. The show had to carry a parental guidance warning. Now that phrase is about as common as any.

NormanPride
12/19/2011, 11:51 AM
Meh. My grandmother taught me how to say "crap". My grandmother is cool.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 12:24 PM
This thread really fellates.

Nah, doesn't have teh same effect.

Peach Fuzz
12/19/2011, 01:01 PM
I wish fellatio was more common... It's like italian, but better:pride:

olevetonahill
12/19/2011, 01:22 PM
Im a wonderin if that term was coined about my GF Felecia ?

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2011, 01:43 PM
I wish fellatio was more common... It's like italian, but better:pride:

Like gelato for ice cream?

SoonerLaw09
12/19/2011, 01:44 PM
I think the ongoing desensitization with regard to cussing says a lot about our current society. I'm not as much offended as just annoyed by incessant profanity. My particular dislike is movies where they seem like they are trying to figure out how to get another M*****F***** wedged into the dialog. I can't watch some of these movies anymore because all I find myself doing is waiting for the next F bomb. Yep all of this profanity sucks.

Why do you hate Samuel L. Jackson?

8timechamps
12/19/2011, 11:02 PM
Why do you hate Samuel L. Jackson?

No doubt!

Somebody get these Mother ****ing snakes off this Mother ****ing plane!