PDA

View Full Version : How touch is Oklahoma's Media and Stoops

basel90
12/17/2011, 04:16 PM
I get the impression most of the Oklahoma's media are quite soft at press conferences and in many articles and editorials. Barry Tramel i recall and Al , seems to be the most daring and have had some bold articles and questions posed to Stoops,
i don't recall many questions to stoops about his coaching staff. Stoops himself has said numerous times that he was outcoached.

I may be wrong but that is my take on things. How does oklahoma's media compare to others nationally? and shouldn't stoops get more scrutiny?

oumartin
12/17/2011, 04:32 PM
how touch?

Well I'm one touch SOB, you just ask anyone.

olevetonahill
12/17/2011, 04:34 PM
If the media ever touches Bob I believe they will end up with a bloody stump.

basel90
12/17/2011, 04:38 PM
sorry for the typo, should be How tough

oumartin
12/17/2011, 04:41 PM
Oh, how tough, well why didn't you say so..

olevetonahill
12/17/2011, 05:01 PM
sorry for the typo, should be How tough

Heh, Dont worry about it, WE mostly a bunch of smart asses :very_drunk:

Fraggle145
12/17/2011, 05:03 PM
How touche?

BoulderSooner79
12/17/2011, 05:04 PM
Dang, I thought we finally had a touchy-feely thread that us folks in CA could relate to.

GameWarden
12/17/2011, 05:21 PM
Crap. I still don't get it?

Soonerjeepman
12/17/2011, 05:23 PM
Touche's...:tiger:

for the older divorcee pick-up joint in KC....fun place to people watch!

stoopified
12/17/2011, 05:45 PM
Sure that ain't TUSHY?

Bob is one of the few coaches to ever admit to being outcoached
, in reality it happens to ALL coaches.The fact he admits to it often leads Bob open to attack about his coaching. Switzer was a lot the same in this regard which led to his great recruiter-average coach rep.

Both Stoops and Switzer however have W-L records which vindicate their status as elite coaches.

StoopTroup
12/17/2011, 06:19 PM
Some folks in the Media aren't ready to go after him because he's the most successful Div IA Coach in Oklahoma right now and if they can't get into the press conference or instead they get their questions jammed up their *** every week...they might need to find a job in another State? Just a guess. The other thing I find fascinating is that folks really think Tramel and Al are the toughest? Those two are like shock Jocks IMO. Neither of them know zero about what they are doing and wouldn't be employed as Sports Journalists here if they weren't Homers.

EatLeadCommie
12/17/2011, 06:26 PM
Not as touch as Sandusky is my guess.

En_Fuego
12/17/2011, 07:01 PM
Some folks in the Media aren't ready to go after him because he's the most successful Div IA Coach in Oklahoma

One of the most successful Coaches of all time.

MamaMia
12/17/2011, 08:32 PM
I've never seen any reporter be tough on Stoops but once. It was a simple but justified question. It didn't go well for the reporter. Stoops got pissed.

MichiganSooner
12/17/2011, 10:31 PM
The Oklahoma media is pretty easy or respectful toward most of the coaches. It doesn't matter what college is being reported. I grew up in Michigan; the Detroit media is horrible to the coaches and players. They can be wicked. It gets old fast. Much more refreshing reading the papers and watching the sports news in this state. It got stupid last year with the press trying to convince Stoops he couldn't win a game on the road.

StoopTroup
12/17/2011, 10:35 PM
One of the most successful Coaches of all time.I understand your feelings in the matter but I narrowed it as this is about the Oklahoma Media.

StoopTroup
12/17/2011, 10:40 PM
I've never seen any reporter be tough on Stoops but once. It was a simple but justified question. It didn't go well for the reporter. Stoops got pissed.

You must have missed some Press Conferences as for some reason some of our fans think he's pretty rude to the Media. A follow up by the other's in the room would have been a tough media. If you think a guys question is justified and everyone else in the room doesn't follow it up until Bob walks out of the room....then IMO...the press is a bunch of wienies.

It's just some pretty awful journalism.

SoonerorLater
12/17/2011, 11:36 PM
Well this is Oklahoma not New York City, so yes you're right the media is a little soft. Maybe the reason Stoops stays here, he doesn't like answering questions or dealing with the media. Of all the things I could think of to criticize Bob Stoops about is that when he came here he stood before the same media and told us how he would embrace accountability. As soon as things went South he quickly changed his tune. Bob stoops dislikes the media and the local media walks on eggshells around Stoops so they won't lose access.

StoopTroup
12/18/2011, 12:30 AM
As soon as things went South he quickly changed his tune. Bob stoops dislikes the media and the local media walks on eggshells around Stoops so they won't lose access.

I really think Bob has been this way the entire time. I don't think he suddenly changed his tune....he's been in control of the Media since he came here. I think he's just got them figured out and knows how to answer their attacks. I think he's the Master of it. Have you all watched how Belichek treats the NFL Media? I think it's a thing of beauty. Bob has never answered questions about injuries and he's closed practices and just really made the media work their asses off. I think it's great. I hate the media so I just haven't ever had a problem with it. Like folks are saying....the Oklahoma Media treats all the HCs in this State soft so why in the World would Bob try and foster any of their careers to make any of us happy? I though Gundy's Rant at Jenny Carlson was awesome and I have never felt sorry for her at all. The media here is his Bitch and that's really what this is all about.

basel90
12/18/2011, 12:57 AM
Even during the horrible Blake days , i can only recall a few being very critical , and the theme was that he is one of the sooner family .. For his credit Tramel i recall was the harshest on Blake and even questioned his intelligence , others just thought OU had horrible talent level .

VA Sooner
12/18/2011, 08:16 AM
He has pretty direct press conferences and even with a win, he'll be pretty honest with his assessment. One of the best bowl games I watched (although holding my breath the entire last quarter drive) was the Holiday Bowl with OU in the lead and Oregon marching down the field. Ryan Leaf throws and Clint Ingram intercepts. Next play, Rhett Bomar kneels down and then spikes the ball for a unsportmanlike conduct penalty and Stoops is livid. After the next kneel-down, Bomar kneels down and wisely does not spike the ball... and Stoops is still pissed during the post-game interview and then stops to thank the interviewer that OU did indeed win the game.

Tough on the kids at times, tough on himself and honest in his assessment of the program... most of the time.