PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Charged with Securities Fraud

cccasooner2
12/16/2011, 06:55 PM
'Rudy' inspiration charged with securities fraud

By msnbc.com news services

Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger, who gained fame as the underdog football player at the University of Notre Dame and inspired the 1993 movie "Rudy," was sued Friday by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Ruettiger and 12 others were charged with running a scheme to deceive investors into buying stock in Ruettiger's sports drink company.

The SEC lawsuit called it "a classic pump-and-dump scheme involving a penny stock called Rudy Nutrition" that occured between February and September 2008 and generated more than $11 million in illicit profits.

"Investors were lured into the scheme by Mr. Ruettiger's well-known, feel-good story but found themselves in a situation that did not have a happy ending," SEC enforcement lawyer Scott Friestad said in a statement.

The company, which is no longer in business, provided false and misleading statements about the company to investors, the SEC said.

Ruettiger and 10 of the scheme's other participants have agreed to settle the SEC's charges without admitting or denying the allegations. Ruettiger agreed to pay $382,866 to settle the case.

In a review of the movie, The New York Times said the lead actor "doesn't soft-pedal his character's annoying obstinacy. He is not afraid of making Rudy a royal pain."

8timechamps
12/16/2011, 07:36 PM
FWIW, I have a good friend I grew up with that graduated from ND...he said Rudy was a "joke" around campus, and lives in his own self-induced celebrity world.

Jacie
12/16/2011, 07:40 PM
FWIW, I have a good friend I grew up with that graduated from ND...he said Rudy was a "joke" around campus, and lives in his own self-induced celebrity world.

Self-induced celebrity he may be (for sure, kinda like Paris Hilton), but a movie was made of his story and he did make that tackle for a loss in an actual D-1 football game . . .

8timechamps
12/16/2011, 07:46 PM
Self-induced celebrity he may be (for sure, kinda like Paris Hilton), but a movie was made of his story and he did make that tackle for a loss in an actual D-1 football game . . .

That he did...and I still love the movie!

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 08:02 PM
I understand trying to milk that 15 minutes of fame, but trying to print *billions* of shares of stock? That from the longer version of the article.

Blue
12/16/2011, 09:15 PM
I playin Defensive end for Purdue!

Breadburner
12/16/2011, 09:16 PM
He was a plantiff in a similar case in Tulsa......

picasso
12/16/2011, 09:17 PM
In this life you don't gotta prove nothin' to nobody!!!

the_edge
12/16/2011, 10:01 PM
That guy always seemed like a first-class a-hole.

cleller
12/16/2011, 10:08 PM
Just looked at the video on Yahoo. He was the second guy in on a sack with 20 seconds left in a lopsided Purde loss. Just a self promoting blowhard ND wannabe. Dan Devine called the movie "a lie" and "unforgivable".

I imagine if you knew him, you'd have avoided him. He obviously doesn't care about anyone but himself.

stoopified
12/16/2011, 10:22 PM
But,but,but.......he is a Notre Dame grad.

yermom
12/16/2011, 11:14 PM
the strangest thing about that movie is seeing it again later and noticing Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau in it together

yermom
12/16/2011, 11:16 PM
and Merv was the OC that year. that's pretty weird.

NorthernIowaSooner
12/16/2011, 11:23 PM

I've heard this as well, he gets really drunk, tries to hit on girls and annoys people by bragging about being Rudy and generally acts like an A-hole.

IBleedCrimson
12/17/2011, 12:47 AM
Just looked at the video on Yahoo. He was the second guy in on a sack with 20 seconds left in a lopsided Purde loss. Just a self promoting blowhard ND wannabe. Dan Devine called the movie "a lie" and "unforgivable".

I imagine if you knew him, you'd having avoided him. He obviously doesn't care about anyone but himself.

-z950ovP7N4

Am I missing something? "The Rudy Play" came against Georgia Tech whom they killed 24-3 at home. While not a solo sack, his pursuit flushes the QB from the pocket and he meets the QB almost instantaneously with others. LINK (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/blogpost/3684526/)

He is definitely a self promoting dousch who owes his fame to Hollywood and the sentimentality of America.

StoopTroup
12/17/2011, 01:21 AM

Lots of Schools have their Rudy's....It's only natural....lol

http://www.sargeworld.com/images/bikerfox2.jpg

oudavid1
12/17/2011, 03:48 AM
and Merv was the OC that year. that's pretty weird.

Wow, never knew that.

Mind = Blown;

budbarrybob
12/17/2011, 08:38 AM
I like the movie. Too bad it was embellished so much and turned a jerk into a self proclaimed diva. Now there will be another movie "Rudy Scores in Prison"

cleller
12/17/2011, 08:38 AM
-z950ovP7N4

Am I missing something? "The Rudy Play" came against Georgia Tech whom they killed 24-3 at home. While not a solo sack, his pursuit flushes the QB from the pocket and he meets the QB almost instantaneously with others. LINK (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/blogpost/3684526/)

He is definitely a self promoting dousch who owes his fame to Hollywood and the sentimentality of America.

I kinda botched the Dan Devine quote. He was referring to certain scenes in the movie, like when the players wanted to turn in their jerseys in support of Rudy. It was included in the story about Rudy and the fraud.

As for the sack, its just unimpressive to me, as it is on a meaningless, last play that the GT players gave up on.

cccasooner2
12/17/2011, 12:59 PM
Interesting that the first to get there on the sack was a guy named Jay Ackeroff (don't know if spelled correctly, J. Ackeroff maybe?). Gowdy (i think that was the PBP voice) had to be carefull with that one. :)

goingoneight
12/17/2011, 01:04 PM
I keep thinking back to their pep rally before USC in 2005 and every other game they've tried having their Rudy moment on lately. They keep getting bitch-slapped back down to reality. Lol... OSU won a conference title before ND was relevant again. :D

Jason White's Third Knee
12/17/2011, 02:55 PM
-z950ovP7N4

I kinda botched the Dan Devine quote. He was referring to certain scenes in the movie, like when the players wanted to turn in their jerseys in support of Rudy. It was included in the story about Rudy and the fraud.

As for the sack, its just unimpressive to me, as it is on a meaningless, last play that the GT players gave up on.

Please tell me that the slow clap was real.

RuDEE RuDEE RuDEE!

LASooner
12/17/2011, 03:43 PM
Wait.. Hollywood glorifies seemingly boring moments in history and makes them interesting to watch?!?!?

I'm crushed... next you'll tell me Charlie Sheen was never in Vietnam.

I saw an interview with Dan Devine, he was told ahead of time what they were going to do with the movie, and he understood and didn't care he was being cast as the "bad guy"

OhU1
12/17/2011, 04:27 PM
Aren't all motivational speakers con artists? I've never seen one who wasn't. Truth is "boring", people want to hear embellished stories and fabrications even if they are not true.

MamaMia
12/17/2011, 08:11 PM
Well, what a jerkoff he turned out to be. I cried happy tears during that movie, even though I despise Notre Dame. Now I despise them even more. I'm tossing the copy of my Rudy DVD in the garbage.

Scott D
12/17/2011, 08:36 PM
Mama, I'm sad that you wasted money on a Rudy DVD.

Somehow I find this situation neither surprising or unexpected. The person I feel bad for in all of this is Sean Astin.

MamaMia
12/17/2011, 08:45 PM
Mama, I'm sad that you wasted money on a Rudy DVD.

Somehow I find this situation neither surprising or unexpected. The person I feel bad for in all of this is Sean Astin.and the people Rudy cheated with his scam.

Scott D
12/17/2011, 09:04 PM
no, I feel embarassed for them.

Tiger6
12/18/2011, 12:06 AM
RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!? RU-DY!? RU-DY? RU-DY? .....damnit Rudy

diverdog
12/18/2011, 08:34 AM
I got to meet Vince Papale who was the Eagles walk on player in the movie Invincible. He is a really great guy, talked about all the embellishments in the movie and how his wife was really an Eagles fan. When I heard him speak he was helping us to raise money for curing certain childhood cancers. Vince was also an OU fan and talked about Joe Washington and his shoes. Really nice humble man.

All of my friends who went to ND said that Rudy was an ***.

SoonerorLater
12/18/2011, 10:29 AM
At the end of the movie I was hoping they wouldn't put him in the game.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/20/2011, 01:52 PM
That movie made me hate Notre Dame even more. There should have been a spin-off movie made pitting "Rudy" vs. "Lucas" in a battle of wills errr...stupidity.

SoonerAtKU
12/20/2011, 02:24 PM
Haim v. Astin?

Lost Boys v. Goonies?

You're destroying childhoods, here. There's room for them both in my heart.

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2011, 05:07 PM
I cant believe that anyone liked that movie. It always looked phoney to me, as was Knut Rockne All-American.