PDA

View Full Version : Is Stoops Overpaid?

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 01:50 PM
I mean he does make a lot for someone that all to often claims to be "out coached." And typically these are coaches that make less than he.

discuss

agoo758
12/16/2011, 01:52 PM
An intelligent debate you will not get. Incessant whining and four letter words from a moderator who derives all of his self-worth from being in charge of a message board where apparently everyone but him is "stupid" you will.

badger
12/16/2011, 01:57 PM
Coaching salaries are largely a speculative market. You pay the coach what you think they will bring back to the university based on their previous accomplishments. There are incentives for certain achievements, yes, but the majority of the salary is always in pay-no-matter-what money. Stoops could go 0-12 or 12-0 and still be making the same (roughly) $5 million or so he does annually.

Frankly, I think all major division college football coaches are getting overpaid at this point, Stoops included. I don't think there's any way to hold down salaries, though, so it is what it is.

MamaMia
12/16/2011, 01:57 PM
This thread is stupid and you are all retards, except me...

Signed, Breadburner

ictsooner7
12/16/2011, 01:59 PM
I mean he does make a lot for someone that all to often claims to be "out coached." And typically these are coaches that make less than he.

discuss

I am not sure if it’s out coached, it seems sometimes he over coaches then at times coaches like he is more afraid of not winning than he is concerned about winning. Its like the fear of not winning playing, it safe, doing everything by the book, then when he does try to break out of that it with bad timing like the onside kick against WVU, is driving him instead of the fear of losing which motivates you to do whatever it takes to win.

Oh yeah, to answer the question is he overpaid, YES for 2-3-4 loss seasons absolutely.

toast

Signed, Breadburner

really?

Soonerjeepman
duma**......Stoops doesn't get paid ENOUGH! :greedy_dollars:

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:00 PM
Badger, what kind of bet must you have lost to have that av/ sig?

Bedlam game?

Ouch. LOL

badger
12/16/2011, 02:01 PM

Bedlam game?

Ouch. LOL

:mad: I am going to answer for that sh!t every day through the Insight Bowl, aren't I :mad:

Soonerjeepman
12/16/2011, 02:01 PM
ok...that wasn't nice...lol

I agree I think ALL major coaches are paid too much..same with pro players...but I digress...it's the market.

as one said, how much does he bring BACK to the University...sold out games, clothing, TV...and I also agree...he does use the "got out-coached" in all his losses...by coaches making less than him...guess they are getting a bargain!

kbsooner21
12/16/2011, 02:02 PM
I gotta get off this site for a while

Mad Dog Madsen
12/16/2011, 02:04 PM

Bedlam game?

Ouch. LOL

Naw... It was totally unrelated to OSU. It was the Tech game that she lost the bet on.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure if he's overpaid but he should feel a tad guilty.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:06 PM
I gotta get off this site for a while

You mad brah?

oudivesherpa
12/16/2011, 02:07 PM
As a OU MBA and not necessarily a Stoops fan, I will give you a short answer, compared to what the market will bear, and based on the history of his work, Stoops is not overpaid. I am fan of making more of Stoops (and all CEO's) compensation performance based. An annual salary of $2MM with incentives of a total pay of up to $6MM. In my opinion, too much of all coaches salary is in base compensation and should be weighted more to incentive compensation.

kevpks
12/16/2011, 02:08 PM
I'd say no based on winning percentage, conference titles, national titles, etc. Who should be making more? Outside of Miles and Saban, no one has had more success among current coaches. I think we all overreact. After he beats Texas, I want them to double his salary. After we lose to OSU, I want to be paid for having to watch that garbage.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:09 PM
As a OU MBA and not necessarily a Stoops fan, I will give you a short answer, compared to what the market will bear, and based on the history of his work, Stoops is not overpaid. I am fan of making more of Stoops (and all CEO's) compensation performance based. An annual salary of $2MM with incentives of a total pay of up to $6MM. In my opinion, too much of all coaches salary is in base compensation and should be weighted more to incentive compensation.

Amen

Soonerjeepman
12/16/2011, 02:10 PM
but the more he gets paid the more tax he pays..therefor helping the deficit!!!!! and since he's a rich sob he'll have to pay more than us little guys!!!! yes yes yes!!!

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:10 PM
I'd say no based on winning percentage, conference titles, national titles, etc. Who should be making more? Outside of Miles and Saban, no one has had more success among current coaches. I think we all overreact. After he beats Texas, I want them to double his salary. After we lose to OSU, I want to be paid for having to watch that garbage.

He seems to make a lot of money based on that game alone. He should give a huge chunk back when he flat out lays an egg against Boise, Tech, Baylor or WV IMO

rainiersooner
12/16/2011, 02:15 PM
A cynical man once said: "an employer will pay an employee just enough to keep them from leaving; and an employee will work just enough to keep from being fired." I don't think that has anything to do with the Stoops discussion, but I think it's a pretty funny way to look at the world of HR.

rainiersooner
12/16/2011, 02:16 PM
He should give a huge chunk back when he flat out lays an egg against Boise, Tech, Baylor or WV IMO

Boise was a pretty good team that year. Not sure that loss can be characterized as egg laying.

badger
12/16/2011, 02:20 PM
but the more he gets paid the more tax he pays..therefor helping the deficit!!!!! and since he's a rich sob he'll have to pay more than us little guys!!!! yes yes yes!!!

At least I hope he pays income tax to the state of Oklahoma, but I know he has a residence in Florida so he might escape paying. I really hope not. This state gives a lot to Stoops and 4 percent income tax in return isn't too much to ask.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:22 PM
It goes a long way in Norman. I am very jealous.

I'm sure he pays a lot of OK State tax btw. He didn't earn the money in FL.

SoonerorLater
12/16/2011, 02:23 PM
Both sides of this debate can make a case. Bob Stoops has a .802 winning % placing him number two among active coaches, just behind the overly revered Urban Meyer and just above Gary Patterson @ .783. So based on those numbers you would have to say Bob Stoops has been wildly successful. The folks who look at it from this view will take great exception to any suggestion that Bob Stoops be replaced.

On the other hand. Sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story. Yes, Bob Stoops has the second highest winning % of current coaches but there has been the continuing theme of not only losing some big games but teams inexplicably not showing up to play. It's not just the losses but the way they look in losing, completely lost and unmotivated. So yes Bob Stoops has won 80 per cent of his games but some would argue he has had the more talented team on the field more like 90 - 95% of the time. That's why despite his lofty historical numbers there is disatisfaction with the program. The folks who look at it from that perspective find it hard to understand the fervent loyalty to Stoops.

Myself, I think I come down somewhere in the middle. I think Stoops has made some strategic errors but I also believe he is a more than capable coach who will get the job done. The caveat is that he is going to have to make some tough personnel decisions. If no changes are made to his staff and they have another year like this one it could get ugly.

So is Stoops overpaid? My long way of saying no not right now but if things don't improve he will be.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 02:24 PM
He's likely paying taxes in two states.

I had to pay tax in two states when I lived in Okla and worked in Kansas.

StoopTroup
12/16/2011, 02:25 PM
It goes a long way in Norman. I am very jealous.

Now we know the real reason for this thread.

SoonerMarkVA
12/16/2011, 02:28 PM

Definitely. The inflow of resources to a program like OU is going to vary so greatly based on performance, it's practically necessary to tie compensation to that metric. Heck, I'd even make full-blown success--a season that's undefeated, NC, and some number of national-awards level met--provide a package that's well above current levels. If Stoops could pull it off every year, then who would rightly complain if it brought him $8M? And when he's down, it should pinch enough to want to get right back up.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 02:29 PM
Now we know the real reason for this thread.

Yep, it's like a homing device for dumb@sses and it only took 26 posts.

StoopTroup
12/16/2011, 02:30 PM
Yep, it's like a homing device for dumb@sses and it only took 26 posts.

Someone seems upset about his last banning....ROTFLMFAO

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:32 PM
Both sides of this debate can make a case. Bob Stoops has a .802 winning % placing him number two among active coaches, just behind the overly revered Urban Meyer and just above Gary Patterson @ .783. So based on those numbers you would have to say Bob Stoops has been wildly successful. The folks who look at it from this view will take great exception to any suggestion that Bob Stoops be replaced.

On the other hand. Sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story. Yes, Bob Stoops has the second highest winning % of current coaches but there has been the continuing theme of not only losing some big games but teams inexplicably not showing up to play. It's not just the losses but the way they look in losing, completely lost and unmotivated. So yes Bob Stoops has won 80 per cent of his games but some would argue he has had the more talented team on the field more like 90 - 95% of the time. That's why despite his lofty historical numbers there is disatisfaction with the program. The folks who look at it from that perspective find it hard to understand the fervent loyalty to Stoops.

Myself, I think I come down somewhere in the middle. I think Stoops has made some strategic errors but I also believe he is a more than capable coach who will get the job done. The caveat is that he is going to have to make some tough personnel decisions. If no changes are made to his staff and they have another year like this one it could get ugly.

So is Stoops overpaid? My long way of saying no not right now but if things don't improve he will be.

That is the best post I've read in quite some time.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:33 PM
He's likely paying taxes in two states.

I had to pay tax in two states when I lived in Okla and worked in Kansas.

He only works in Oklahoma. The only tax he'd pay here would be property taxes.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:33 PM
Oh, and lighten up Troup.

Breadburner
12/16/2011, 02:34 PM

Signed, Breadburner

Your best post out of your last 1000 or so ,good work.....Continue on with the obssesion.....!!!

oumartin
12/16/2011, 02:35 PM
He only works in Oklahoma. The only tax he'd pay here would be property taxes.

I'm no tax attorney, just speaking from my personal situation.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:36 PM
I'm an accountant

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 02:37 PM
I don't believe any of my dollars make it to Bob's bank account(s), so no.

:P

oumartin
12/16/2011, 02:37 PM
I'm an accountant

Don't jump... you have so much to live for

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:39 PM
LMAO

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 02:42 PM
I don't believe any of my dollars make it to Bob's bank account(s), so no.

:P

I will add that whatever they are paying the Cal and UCLA coaches, it is too much. I don't care if they win them all or lose them all.

kbsooner21
12/16/2011, 02:42 PM
You mad brah?

Not mad at all. Disappointed is a better word.

picasso
12/16/2011, 02:46 PM
Odds are if he never set foot in Norman that ole Nater here wouldn't be on this website right now.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:47 PM
I guess I'll go ahead and come clean as to save countless posts in the future. I have never been more disappointed in our staff as I have this season. I get sick and tired of the "we got out coached" excuses. I get tired of tuning in to the radio show on my phone only to hear the callers get belittled by hosts who buddy up with our coaches. How we came out flat against Tech the week following the Kansas game I'll never understand. To me, that's coaching.

Do I want Stoops fired? No. Do I want him to quit being so proud and make adjustments? YES. He's just come across as arrogant of late and I still contend that Brent has pics of him with Boren's wife. Why Brent hasn't been demoted by now I'll never get.

BOOMER.

Breadburner
12/16/2011, 02:49 PM
I guess I'll go ahead and come clean as to save countless posts in the future. I have never been more disappointed in our staff as I have this season. I get sick and tired of the "we got out coached" excuses. I get tired of tuning in to the radio show on my phone only to hear the callers get belittled by hosts who buddy up with our coaches. How we came out flat against Tech the week following the Kansas game I'll never understand. To me, that's coaching.

Do I want Stoops fired? No. Do I want him to quit being so proud and make adjustments? YES. He's just come across as arrogant of late and I still contend that Brent has pics of him with Boren's wife. Why Brent hasn't been demoted by now I'll never get.

BOOMER.

You are truly stupid...

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:50 PM
Nice intellectual response "bread"

StoopTroup
12/16/2011, 02:57 PM
That is the best post I've read in quite some time.

It's a decent post but I know Soonerorlater and many other have made this same case more than once since the massive meltdown occurred on this board. As you can see the number of sarcastic and angry posts that occur every time you or someone else creates another questionable thread that has zero knowledge other than "Does he get paid to much?" is still occurring.

I can see folks really upset about money as it's tough right now for folks. Ticket prices will still be as high as they were this year even though we had a disappointing Season. Operating Costs go up at OU when you build massive additions and don't sell tickets. However....Bob has helped to sell tickets. It's not like the Stadium is empty every Game. The real hard part is if the number of Games on TV goes down. That's when it begins to hurt. Right now though....even if we lose....people seem to tune in for that too.

As long as Bob continues to bring in money like he does....he isn't making to much. If Schools based their wages on how many National Championships they had won in the last ten years....there wouldn't be very many Coaches making much money. It's the interest in College Football and the interest in playing OU (A Team that has beat many Teams for many years) that draws interest. It's possible that losing a few games this year even grows more interest in that we aren't this Team that can't be beat. The same as some folks don't like to go to a Baylor Game because it's an automatic win.....next year...should RGIII come back to Baylor....the game will be sold out. Hell....even some of you Venables Haters might even run down and get RGIII to sign your new Baylor Jersey you are surely getting for Christmas.

Bob brings in plenty of money to not only cover his salary but the entire Coaching Staff. If he didn't....those of you who think we should go out and hire someone better should be **** out of luck as there wouldn't be any money to do it with.

The only folks worried about Bob's salary are the idiots that think it should be pro-rated for performance. It is pro-rated. He and the entire Coaching staff make more dOUgh when they get to a BCS MNC and even more if they win it. So...if you are going to make a thread about him getting over-paid....it would be really more credible if it was more of a thread that was about it being restructured. Maybe the NCAA could even put a maximum on Salaries. Then you will see a mass exodus of Coaches to the NFL. You could have even talked about giving Bob a 2 million dollar salary and giving him 20 Million if he gets us to the MNC. Toss in maybe another 5 million if he goes undefeated.

But no.....it's easier to just toss out something that been spewed out now around 10,000 times in the last Month...

Breadburner
12/16/2011, 03:02 PM
Nice intellectual response "bread"

Well...I fight retardation with stupidity......

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 03:04 PM
So if you disagree with someone here you just call them stupid or retarded is that it?

Here's a thought, how about just keeping those you agree with and see how fun the site becomes.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 03:06 PM
I have no problems with whatever opinions..Really..But at what point do you stop repeating the same schtick over and over? People bitch about Martin..At least he offers more than just the same opinion over and over.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 03:07 PM
My apologies. I use mediums such as these to vent my frustrations on occasion.

I guess I didn't get the memo.

Later

oumartin
12/16/2011, 03:07 PM

aggy! ;)

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 03:08 PM
aggy! ;)

Absolutely below the belt!

Them's fightin' words!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 03:10 PM

I guess I didn't get the memo.

Later

No I understand..But you never offer anything else..When this team was rolling, no sight of you...And it's always somewhere along the same line...And you've threatened to leave this site several times, but here you are...

MamaMia
12/16/2011, 03:10 PM
Well...I fight retardation with stupidity...... Retardation is only one of your psychological problems that you fight with stupidity. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/giggle.gif

I don't have a problem with what Stoops is being paid. My problem is that I believe that he needs to take more of an active role. He did say that he would do just that, a couple of seasons ago, however he waited until the half to express his dismay with the play calling during the oSu whipping we received.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 03:13 PM
No I understand..But you never offer anything else..When this team was rolling, no sight of you...And it's always somewhere along the same line...And you've threatened to leave this site several times, but here you are...

what he's saying is that you can all stand to be a little more like martin! That dude keeps it real yo!

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 03:14 PM

It's purely coincidental if that is the case. The squeaky wheel gets the grease ya know? My hopes were probably too high for this team this season although Vegas had us like 9:5 going in. You also have to remember that living on the other end of the country, sometimes the places to vent are few and far between.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 03:20 PM
Good explanation Nate and I'll lay off and try to remember that...Nobody speks Martin like I do...Nothing makes a board more ****ty than everyone agreeing...But maybe be in more for the good stuff every once and again.

StoopTroup
12/16/2011, 03:22 PM
It's purely coincidental if that is the case. The squeaky wheel gets the grease ya know? My hopes were probably too high for this team this season although Vegas had us like 9:5 going in. You also have to remember that living on the other end of the country, sometimes the places to vent are few and far between.

I think plenty of us realize you are definitely handicapped by not being near to the program. We just don't appreciate the squeaky Wheel when it's been greased by all of us and you continued to spray it down with water and leave it parked down at the beach.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 03:24 PM
..Nobody speks Martin like I do..

you read my pm's too? ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 03:28 PM
Here is my opinion because people use the word "adjustment" like every problem is an Xs and Os problem..Sometimes there isn't an adjustment to be made by coaches..I've seen players miss tackles in the 1st half and start making them in the 2nd half and posters saying the coaches made "adjustments"...No, the guy just started doing his job...

The "adjustment" that does need to be made is recognizing a player not getting his job done and getting him off the field faster.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 03:31 PM
you read my pm's too? ;)

Only when I'm bored.

SoonerorLater
12/16/2011, 03:31 PM
I always find it odd that folks on the message boards get so bent out of shape when someone else expresses their displeasure with the coaching staff. Just don't understand why it would be such an effront to anybody. I don't want Bob Stoops replaced but don't find it infuriating that somebody would.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah, it's not that big of deal...

MamaMia
12/16/2011, 03:38 PM
I always find it odd that folks on the message boards get so bent out of shape when someone else expresses their displeasure with the coaching staff. Just don't understand why it would be such an effront to anybody. I don't want Bob Stoops replaced but don't find it infuriating that somebody would.Its a maturity issue. At some point in ones life, usually in the business world, one would hope that learning to agree to disagree comes with 'whatever' territory, including, but not limited to religion, politics and sports.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 03:45 PM
The problem is that those both sides of the argument overreact and complain about the same treatment.

Crimsontothecore
12/16/2011, 03:51 PM
stupid gooners

budbarrybob
12/16/2011, 04:37 PM
Bob is overpaid. yes. But then so are all the other coachs in the NCAA

Sooner in Tampa
12/16/2011, 04:39 PM
Not mad at all. Disappointed is a better word.
Disappointed that fans actually question our coach making too much?

Really?

Sooner in Tampa
12/16/2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah, it's not that big of deal...
I agree...but there is MAJOR butt hurt if someone dare speaks ill of Bob Stoops around here...like he is paying some of ya'll's rent

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2011, 04:47 PM
And there is just as much butt hurt if people take up for him by the other side..or they wouldn't mention it in every post.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 06:18 PM
Have I mentioned that I love Bob Stoops..

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2011, 07:02 PM

Do you even know what Stoops contract is?

His base pay from the school is $250,000/year.
He receives the vast majority of his pay through unrestricted private funds and the rest from bonuses.

Dan Thompson
12/16/2011, 07:21 PM
Pay Stoops $415,000 for each win.

OkieThunderLion
12/16/2011, 07:32 PM
I'd have to ask the OU accountant whether he is overpaid or not.

There is a reason he gets paid so much, and I think it is probably due to him generating enormous revenue.

picasso
12/16/2011, 09:14 PM
I always find it odd that folks on the message boards get so bent out of shape when someone else expresses their displeasure with the coaching staff. Just don't understand why it would be such an effront to anybody. I don't want Bob Stoops replaced but don't find it infuriating that somebody would.
I find it so odd when someone disagrees with something somebody says and they catch hell for it and they can't for the life of them understand why.
We have freedom of speech in this country but that doesn't exclude one from the consequences of said free speech or being considered a flat out idiot.

oudivesherpa
12/16/2011, 10:23 PM
Do you even know what Stoops contract is?

His base pay from the school is $250,000/year.
He receives the vast majority of his pay through unrestricted private funds and the rest from bonuses.

I realize that Stoop's base pay from the school is $250k, that's not the point, His total base pay from all sources is significantly higher than $250k. The point is that a significant
Portion of all leaders pay should come from incentive compensation. On the South Oval
A number of posters bitch about CEO's compensation, when the real question is their
Impact on earnings per share. No offense to those of you who just want to react to this question on an emotional level, maybe this post is too cerbeal for a football post and
Should be a thread on a sports economics thread. BTW, I've already posted that I don't
Think Stoops is overpaid!

AlboSooner
12/16/2011, 11:43 PM
Most D1 coaches are overpaid, and so are athletes. You shouldn't be able to make $5mil to coach a football game. I don't care what level. Firefighters, cops,military need to make more, and actors and their ilk, less.

SoonerorLater
12/17/2011, 12:30 AM
I find it so odd when someone disagrees with something somebody says and they catch hell for it and they can't for the life of them understand why.
We have freedom of speech in this country but that doesn't exclude one from the consequences of said free speech or being considered a flat out idiot.

Then explain why and nobody will have to guess. It's not a freedom of speech issue. It's not clear to me why anybody would get mad about questioning the coaches. It's evident people do it's not so evident why.

StoopTroup
12/17/2011, 01:10 AM
I realize that Stoop's base pay from the school is $250k, that's not the point, His total base pay from all sources is significantly higher than $250k. The point is that a significant
Portion of all leaders pay should come from incentive compensation. On the South Oval
A number of posters bitch about CEO's compensation, when the real question is their
Impact on earnings per share. No offense to those of you who just want to react to this question on an emotional level, maybe this post is too cerbeal for a football post and
Should be a thread on a sports economics thread. BTW, I've already posted that I don't
Think Stoops is overpaid!

What you and 75 are saying is what most folks who have been fans since Bob came to town know about his contract and the contracts that have been given to him over the last 11-12 years. You don't think he's over paid and that's fine. The point of this thread was that Nate asked if people thought he was. There are folks that don't have an idea or clue what he actually received each year he has been here. They just think he's getting 5 million and year and since he didn't win a MNC his pay should be reviewed and he shouldn't I guess make anything for going 9-3 with the talent he has.

That's really the direction the thread was taking even though you two have tried to stop this stupidity with your posts. I appreciate you trying as I too don't have a problem with the amount he makes because i believe he earns every penny.

badger
12/17/2011, 09:12 AM
I'd have to ask the OU accountant whether he is overpaid or not.

There is a reason he gets paid so much, and I think it is probably due to him generating enormous revenue.

The question is... wouldn't OU football generate tons of revenue regardless of who the players and coaches were?

To distance ourselves a bit from our feelings on our beloved players and coaches, let's consider another Big 12 program... let's consider Texas.

Texas pays Mack Brown about $5 million to coach the athletic department's biggest revenue stream program. It brings in tons of money, from its 100k stadium, to their burnt orange merchandise, to their Bevo channel, you name it.

But really... wouldn't UT fans still show up in droves if someone else was the coach?

And the players who feel they deserve a bigger share of the revenue pie than just a scholarship... if they put a different football player in your uniform, the fans would still attend. They cheer for the team, not the player. The players will only be there four years (or 100, if you're Jordan Shipley). The program was there before and after you.

Same goes for the coaches. I don't think Mack Brown is the reason the fans support UT football with their money or their attendance or their wearing of burnt orange.

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 09:38 AM
It's not just the losses but the way they look in losing, completely lost and unmotivated.

I agree with this to an extent.

So yes Bob Stoops has won 80 per cent of his games but some would argue he has had the more talented team on the field more like 90 - 95% of the time.

When you're favored in 90-95% of your games you are always going to lose more you're favored in than win as a dog. Your win percentage is probably never going to equal or exceed the percentage of games you are favored in.

For example, if you're favored in 100% of the games it would be unrealistic to expect you to win 100% of the time year after year.

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 09:45 AM
If you want to control the coach's salary, the first step would be to remove the tax deduction for athletic department donations.

It's absolutely ridiculous that one can deduct these donation as if they're giving to charity. (I believe even donations that are used to secure tickets are even deductible by 80% or something.) Sure, this money helps support student athletes but it also encourages ever growing expansion in head coach's salaries.

My guess is that the IRS could stop the "donations to obtain tickets" scam without any help from congress. These aren't donations at all. It is money paid for a product. It's called a donation to take advantage of tax law and artificially increase demand. The IRS often makes rules against such schemes.

The problem is, as in everything else, there are mountains of lobbyists representing college athletic departments...

I like Stoops and I really have no problem with him making the money he does but I do have a problem with it being on the back of taxpayers via a deduction that doesn't at all meet the intent of charity deduction rules.

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 09:52 AM
On the South Oval
Impact on earnings per share.

I don't want to get too off topic here but I actually think coach's salaries are more justified than CEO salaries. It's definitely easier to measure a coach's success...

For CEOs, we see plenty who run their company into the ground and run off with hundreds of millions in compensations. We also see plenty who are mediocre leaders but they're paid tens of millions because that's the way everyone feels it's supposed to be. You also have the gool ol' boys network among CEO's and members of the boards protecting each other...

There is some of that in CFB but mostly guys who win and bring in $$$ get paid.

(Note: Edited to try to stay a little more on-topic.)

stoopified
12/17/2011, 01:20 PM
In terms of all coaches being overpaid ? Yes.Overpaid by comparative merit vs. his counterparts? NO!

Johnny Utah
12/17/2011, 02:17 PM
The question is... wouldn't OU football generate tons of revenue regardless of who the players and coaches were?

To distance ourselves a bit from our feelings on our beloved players and coaches, let's consider another Big 12 program... let's consider Texas.

Texas pays Mack Brown about $5 million to coach the athletic department's biggest revenue stream program. It brings in tons of money, from its 100k stadium, to their burnt orange merchandise, to their Bevo channel, you name it.

But really... wouldn't UT fans still show up in droves if someone else was the coach?

And the players who feel they deserve a bigger share of the revenue pie than just a scholarship... if they put a different football player in your uniform, the fans would still attend. They cheer for the team, not the player. The players will only be there four years (or 100, if you're Jordan Shipley). The program was there before and after you.

Same goes for the coaches. I don't think Mack Brown is the reason the fans support UT football with their money or their attendance or their wearing of burnt orange.

THIS is the best post I've read in quite some time. Hopefully most everybody on site is an OU fan first, irregardless of the HC. "Don't forget how bad we were in the Blake era" is a popular battle cry among some posters, however isn't the history as well as the future of the program far bigger then any one coach or player?

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 02:49 PM
THIS is the best post I've read in quite some time. Hopefully most everybody on site is an OU fan first, irregardless of the HC. "Don't forget how bad we were in the Blake era" is a popular battle cry among some posters, however isn't the history as well as the future of the program far bigger then any one coach or player?

I don't like the constant reference to Blake either but I think your implication that Stoops's accomplishments should be dismissed due to our historical successes is just as unfair.

The common thought among those outside of Oklahoma was that OU was never going to return to the glory days - at least not on a consistent basis. The argument was that college football had changed and our regional situation had changed with the formation of the Big 12. There is actually a lot of truth to this. Despite all of this Stoops has be very successful.

In the old days, you could win by simply making football a priority. That's no longer the case. Every school wants to win and every school makes winning in football a priority.

As for revenue, I think badger is wrong. We've gone through periods where we couldn't fill our stadium, where donations fell off a cliff, and where the athletic department was in the red. We have a strong fan base but they're also spoiled.

StoopTroup
12/17/2011, 06:58 PM
Castiglione is an amazing guy and what he and David Boren have done to bring in huge revenues with one MNC is simply amazing. The other 3 near misses have helped to keep folks donating too. Should Bob land a MNC in the next 3 years....it will be a big glass of STFU as far as what folks are complaining about right now and the cycle of the donations will be as strong as it has ever been. MNCs seem to really get folks excited. Folks will pay to be able to jam it in their in-state rivals *** as well as the folks in their conferences asses. The real measure of how long can a Big XII Coach go before the Fan base can get the powers that be to get rid of him go? That IMO will be measured by the current events of what is going on in Austin. Mack Brown can't weather the storm down there IMO if he loses 5-6 years in a row to Bob or really anyone like Baylor, KU, ISU or oSu. Sure folks are upset with Bob losing to Tech, BU and oSu this year...but no one really believes that any of them can do it again to us next year. Those that do are only on board as they really aren't happy with the OU Coaching Staff and would believe anything to make their dreams come true.

We are pretty damn spoiled and I surely hope more and more great Players continue to sign with our Coaching Staff. There's no reason to really think they will go somewhere else because a bunch of spoiled fans think they their kid wouldn't get a shot at the NFL if he came to OU. It's pure insanity and will continue until Bob and the Team put an end to it with a MNC. I really don't think folks thought OU would make it this year even though the Polls and BCS Rankings at one point set us up to compete. As we all watched guys get hurt this year we all had a sinking feeling of how long the Coaches would be able to keep the Team playing at a Championship Level. The meltdown that happened after that is extremely difficult to understand as it just doesn't make sense given the Injuries, and the loss of Austin Box and all the suspensions that transpired this year. It makes this talk about Salaries pretty idiotic too.