PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops and Chuck Long....

SteelClip49
12/16/2011, 11:56 AM
will be on the 2012 coaching staff. That is all :)

Mike Stoops is now an OKC resident!

badger
12/16/2011, 11:59 AM
Please provide a link or a source or say where you heard to or ANYTHING or don't start a new thread :(

oumartin
12/16/2011, 11:59 AM
care to give us more info please sir

SoonerLaw09
12/16/2011, 12:03 PM
I must call BS. There's no way Stoops would re-hire Chuck "third and" Long.

MikeInNorman
12/16/2011, 12:08 PM
I must call BS. There's no way Stoops would re-hire Chuck "third and" Long.

Don't be so sure.

LVSOONER15
12/16/2011, 12:11 PM
We need a link. I can see Mike coming here.

SoonerLaw09
12/16/2011, 12:14 PM
I had 2 people tell me last week that Mike and Mangino are coming back, and that Patton, Martinez, and Jackie Shipp were out, and Venables was being invited to search for employment elsewhere. No mention of Long. Rumors are a dime a dozen. I know there are a lot of scenarios we all wish for, for various reasons, but unless and until there's some official statement it's all a load of dingo's kidneys.

Boomer.....
12/16/2011, 12:14 PM
I've also read that Mike has bought a house in the metro.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 12:17 PM
Jackie Shipp needs to stay.

SoonerTerry
12/16/2011, 12:18 PM
I also heard that Mike will only use Seagate drives in his computers..,., and since seagate has a mfgr plant here WE ARE IN!!

(sarcasm font)

OkieThunderLion
12/16/2011, 12:23 PM
I'd prefer Long to Mangino. But where are the openings on the staff? None so far.

SoonerMarkVA
12/16/2011, 12:30 PM

Agreed. This would be, IMO, terrible news.

sooneredaco
12/16/2011, 01:34 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy that sat next to the realtor at a starbucks that sold the house next to the one that Mike Stoops bought in OKC Metro. I know it's true because the house was brick and had a nice lawn, well.... that's what one of the guys said.

sooneredaco
12/16/2011, 01:37 PM

Isn't he like our star recruiter?

MamaMia
12/16/2011, 01:53 PM
Isn't he like our star recruiter? Who recruited the last National Championship team?

oumartin
12/16/2011, 02:02 PM
John Blake! :)

AzianSooner
12/16/2011, 02:10 PM
I believe the level of coaching staff now is lesser than the level of experience and talent of the coaching staff that we had in the NC 1999-2000.

We will be lucky if Mike Stoops and Mangino can come an use they exceptional expertises in both side of the ball. It will make this team better, not less.

National Championship contentder needs National Championship Coaching staff experience and talent.

SoonerNate
12/16/2011, 02:12 PM
Good, now kick Martinez's sorry *** to the curb!

goingoneight
12/16/2011, 03:14 PM
Chuck "3rd and" Long got his nickname from his run-run-pass pro-set. While KW was a major upgrade, it's not like we were consistently throwing a bunch of turd offenses out there. He's a good QB coach, too. That said... I don't have much of a problem with the offensive staff. No one in today's game loses two players like Broyles and Whaley right during the toughest part of the season (AKA, when we should've expected shootouts) and continues to score at will. They do need to take a serious look back at their OSU gameplan. That was NOT a Landry Jones Heisman campaign. That game should have been COMPLETELY devoted to possession football. The entire passing game was way too off to have been expected to beat OSU.

cvsooner
12/16/2011, 03:16 PM
With Charlie Weis being hired at Kansas, I can see Chuck Long looking elsewhere.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 03:16 PM
Chuck "3rd and" Long got his nickname from his run-run-pass pro-set. While KW was a major upgrade, it's not like we were consistently throwing a bunch of turd offenses out there. He's a good QB coach, too. That said... I don't have much of a problem with the offensive staff. No one in today's game loses two players like Broyles and Whaley right during the toughest part of the season (AKA, when we should've expected shootouts) and continues to score at will. They do need to take a serious look back at their OSU gameplan. That was NOT a Landry Jones Heisman campaign. That game should have been COMPLETELY devoted to possession football. The entire passing game was way too off to have been expected to beat OSU.

Fire Heupel?

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 03:54 PM

I agree with that statement in principle, however, I don't think we had the tools to pull it off. I don't think we could have consistently moved the sticks by going to a run dominanted play mixture. Some suggested a radical change by trying a full series of Belldozer. I could see that maybe working for a series until the pokes adjusted. Maybe we could have tried more MIllard at TB, but only if we replaced him at his blocking position for the game. I don't see him being productive for many carries if he is blocking so much on other plays - his leg would have to be weary. Bottom line is that we were out gunned.

NCarolinaSooner
12/16/2011, 05:24 PM
John Blake! :)

John Blake is a great recruiter if you don't mind the ensuing NCAA investigation.

OU-HSV
12/16/2011, 08:01 PM
Seriously these threads are getting ridiculous, don't we already have about 5 million rumor threads (And not a one with any substantial/real confirmation of any Sooner football coach or coordinators leaving, being fired, or being hired?
Why don't people stop with the rumor threads and post a thread when there is something valid to report. Geeze.

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 08:06 PM
Seriously these threads are getting ridiculous, don't we already have about 5 million rumor threads (And not a one with any substantial/real confirmation of any Sooner football coach or coordinators leaving, being fired, or being hired?
Why don't people stop with the rumor threads and post a thread when there is something valid to report. Geeze.

Because this is the internet.

TXBOOMER
12/16/2011, 08:19 PM
Jackie Shipp is a great recruiter. I don't see him going anywhere unless we have a great recruiter replacing him.

OU-HSV
12/16/2011, 08:45 PM
Because this is the internet.
That's right, I forgot..the internet makes common sense go right out the window.

the_edge
12/16/2011, 10:06 PM
Chuck Long was a fine offensive coordinator until AD showed up on campus. The 2002 and 2003 offenses produced pretty consistently until KSU threw Jason White for a loop.

GDC
12/16/2011, 10:59 PM
Dingo's kidneys?

SoonerSpock
12/17/2011, 06:41 AM
With recruiting for 2012 entering its last two months. I think it is doubtful that any assistants will be replaced. I am certain the questions are being asked by recruits to the assistants recruiting them of are you going to be at Oklahoma nest year? Stoops needs to put that question to bed because his competing schools are most definitely making the turmoil and rumor mill at OU a factor for potential signees to consider.

Most definitely there will not be a major turnover of coaches (Patton, Martinez, Shipp, etc) that would expose the Sooners to a major loss of previously committed players.

stoopified
12/17/2011, 07:49 AM
I have no idea who will be on next year;s staff but Bob does and that is good enough for me. I let Bob worry about running the team and I concentrate on screaming,cheering,and supporting my Sooners. No wrries.

SoonerLaw09
12/17/2011, 08:22 AM
Dingo's kidneys?

Google it.

cleller
12/17/2011, 08:42 AM
Until the twitter-meister gets here, this is all just voices from the ectoplasm.

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 10:47 AM
Most definitely there will not be a major turnover of coaches (Patton, Martinez, Shipp, etc) that would expose the Sooners to a major loss of previously committed players.

Are you suggest that we would wait until after signing day? If not then you're essentially suggesting that a team never gets rid of coaches.

AzianSooner
12/17/2011, 11:30 AM
I have no idea who will be on next year;s staff but Bob does and that is good enough for me. I let Bob worry about running the team and I concentrate on screaming,cheering,and supporting my Sooners. No wrries.

The job well done by our coaches has proven that we can dominant the big 12 and be able to content and to attend several NC game last decade. But, this job well-done has not proven that we can win one and yet we have several shaky senarios in losing to lesser opponents by some reasons (not being prepared, not being care, not being serious..... )

What do our coaches need or what does it take to go win another National Championship? The answer can be get by a small chat with the King who apparently living close by.

OUmillenium
12/17/2011, 02:06 PM
This thread have legendary bad grammar and bad info.

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 02:27 PM
The job well done by our coaches has proven that we can dominant the big 12 and be able to content and to attend several NC game last decade. But, this job well-done has not proven that we can win one and yet we have several shaky senarios in losing to lesser opponents by some reasons (not being prepared, not being care, not being serious..... )

If nobody lost to lesser opponents we'd have 6 or 7 undefeated teams each year. It's not easy to win all the games even if you. Sooner or later those overmatched teams will sneak up an bite you. That's been true throughout the history of CFB and was just as true when Switzer was here.

What do our coaches need or what does it take to go win another National Championship? The answer can be get by a small chat with the King who apparently living close by.

Switzer didn't exactly dominate games where we had a chance of winning the national title. We lost to Miami. We lost to Washington. We lost to Arkansas. Also keep in mind that in those years #1 and #2 didn't match up every year so it was possibly to play a lesser opponent to win the title.

I'd love to be better than 1-3 in title games. If we keep going we'll win some of them. We had our opportunities in both the UF and LSU games.

OkieThunderLion
12/17/2011, 02:49 PM
Stoops is 1-3 in title games. He competed against AP #2 FSU, #2 LSU, #1 USC, and #1 Florida.

Switzer was 2-3 in (hypothetical) title games. He competed against #5 Michigan, #6 Arkansas, #4 Washington, #1 Penn State, and #2 Miami.

Wash. Can't give the edge to either coach. Looks even to me.