PDA

View Full Version : Todd Graham heading to ASU

Widescreen
12/15/2011, 09:38 AM
He notified his players via text message. Talk about disrespecting his players.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7352624/todd-graham-takes-arizona-state-sun-devils-football-coaching-job-leaving-pittsburgh-panthers

Graham informed his players of his departure in a text message.

"I have resigned my position at Pitt in the best interest of my family to pursue the head coaching position at Arizona State," the message sent to players said. "Coaching there has always been a dream of ours and we have family there. The timing of the circumstances have prohibited me from telling you this directly. I now am on my way to Tempe to continue those discussions. God Bless. Coach Graham."

Really?

Widescreen
12/15/2011, 09:39 AM
He also left Rice for Tulsa after only 1 season. ASU needs to be prepared for him to bolt from there as well.

rekamrettuB
12/15/2011, 09:42 AM
Ahhhh....at least he didn't Twitt it or Facebook it.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 09:43 AM
Wow...That guy maybe a bigger doosher than Petrino..

oumartin
12/15/2011, 09:45 AM
Wow...That guy maybe a bigger doosher than Petrino..

and that's saying something..

He always seemed like a good dude at Tulsa but...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 09:46 AM
I think this may be more conference related than school related

BigJerm7
12/15/2011, 10:07 AM
And the night before he had given a speech on commitment.

I guess ASU was impressed by his 6-6 season at Pitt.

Prodigal
12/15/2011, 10:54 AM
The paper said he asked the school (Pitt) for permissions to talk to ASU but was denied. He then immediately resigned.

IMO that at least says something a bit positive about him. His negatives are well known in the Tulsa area.

SoonerLaw09
12/15/2011, 11:25 AM
and that's saying something..

He always seemed like a good dude at Tulsa but...

Trust me, the TU fans do NOT like him. They'd prefer that he lose all his games and that his kittens drown. He's perceived as a guy who just yells and stomps around and has no ability to rally the team when necessary.

Lott's Bandana
12/15/2011, 11:42 AM
Re: Coaching Changes
Malzahn had to find a place where nobody will hear his wife.

Todd Graham TEXTED his players he was leaving...no actually, he was already gone.

Sorta yesterday's news.

badger
12/15/2011, 12:04 PM
This has just been one big season of awkward and wtf coaching hires, hasn't it?

Wazzu: Ladies and gentlemen, the coach to lead our mediocre, smalltown eastern Washington small stadium program... THE BIGGEST NAME OUT THERE!!!! How in the hell did we pull this off in Pullman?!?!?!

Recruit's mom: Coach Sherman, how can you ask my son to play for you at Texas A&M? It says here on this website that you were just fired.

Corch Irvin Meyers Go Gata: I know I said that my health prevented me from coaching, but let's just say that a lot of money and a lot of time away from the crazy SEC has improved my health. Vastly.

Tood Graham: Hello Arizona State fans. Remember when Dennis Franchione was hopping from job to job? I think that ended well for him and his last major program, but I don't recall.

UCLA: No, we're not getting the Boise guy, or a big name guy, or an alum... does anyone want to coach here besides Slick Rick? Oh we're so screwed. Remember when we played in the first-ever Pac 12 championship game? That was great.

KU: Does anyone have a spare $2 million per year lying around? OK, we need two of you to step forward, one to pay this guy not to coach, and one to pay this new fat man to coach.

Bob Stoops: Seriously? I'm not in ANY coaching hire discussions this year? Not even for my native Ohio? Well crap, this is not going to bode well for my annual cost-of-living Regents pay increases. $6 million is SOOOOOO the new $5 million. Well, maybe next year.

SoonerorLater
12/15/2011, 01:02 PM
What is amazing to me is why schools hire these rent-a-coaches. ASU must understand that Graham will bolt first maginally better offer he gets. One way or another Todd Graham will not be at ASU in 5 years. Very short-sided thinking by the ASU administration.

70sooner
12/15/2011, 01:05 PM

from what I heard, he did use twitter to some degree.....

and ya, he's not beloved in Tulsa by amy means.

oumartin
12/15/2011, 01:10 PM
As soon as I get a working cellular number for Soonerfans I'm going to resign from here via text..

Sooner_Tuf
12/15/2011, 01:13 PM
As soon as I get a working cellular number for Soonerfans I'm going to resign from here via text..

Check your PM's ;)

badger
12/15/2011, 01:16 PM

from what I heard, he did use twitter to some degree.....

and ya, he's not beloved in Tulsa by amy means.

Yeah, I think that Tulsa was kind of miffed that he left when he did. Understand that Pitt had a coach in place during the normal coaching turnover period... and then after that period was over, they got Graham because their first guy had to be let go.

So, TU was left scrambling after the traditional coaching search period and decided to stay close to home and hire on-the-cheap this time... and it was because of Graham that they went local on-the-cheap. They had pretty much no other choice since it was so well beyond the usual coaching hiring period.

On top of that, Todd Graham was one of the THE highest paid coaches in C-USA, at the smallest FBS school in the country, raking in an estimated $1.1 million. And even then, they were begging people in Tulsa to show up for the big games in their dinky 30k stadium. Those of you that go to the OU-TU game? That's atypical attendance. There are usually far fewer butts in seats, even when Boise State came to town, even when they promo the hell outta games with free ticket offers at workplaces downtown or whatever. Going to the Hawaii Bowl was likely an even bigger blow to an already tight budget.

So yeah, screw Todd Graham. Google "rice band todd graham" for one of their more touching halftime tributes :)

Widescreen
12/15/2011, 03:11 PM
Schlabach tears Graham a new one here. Reveals some new info that makes him look even worse.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=7355451

SoonerLaw09
12/15/2011, 03:14 PM
Hey now, don't be-downgrade the Chaps. It's one of the neatest rinky-dink stadiums there is. You can see from anywhere, and it's endless fun wagering on exactly where the extra points will bounce off the athletic offices behind the north endzone.

badger
12/15/2011, 04:13 PM
If that is how Schlabach tears into Graham, imagine how a Pitt alum like Mark May will talk about him from now on.

If you're gonna pizz off a school's fanbase, it's much easier to pizz off a C-USA tiny fanbase, not a national one from a big school like Pitt or ASU.

Mark my words, this one is gonna come back to haunt him, like Fran Fran burning bridges at A&M and Bammer did, as opposed to when he left TCU. You just don't up and leave a big boy program like that, Todd.

I expect Lane Kiffin to someday get his comeuppance as well. His daddy won't be around to help get him big time jobs forever.

tulsaoilerfan
12/15/2011, 05:46 PM
Graham probably leaves all his **** in a pods building

papawlambert
12/15/2011, 07:23 PM
ASU would have hired June Jones, but TG hid his baggage better than JJ. This little tidbit came from one of his former assistants.

agoo758
12/15/2011, 07:27 PM
ASU would have hired June Jones, but TG hid his baggage better than JJ. This little tidbit came from one of his former assistants.

What kind of baggage did the June bug have? Have I been living under a rock? :confused:

papawlambert
12/15/2011, 09:30 PM
The internet is your friend. Do a little searching.