PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/14/2011, 11:55 PM
Heckmann says by the end of the decade the U.S. will be net exporters of oil. and that we now spend a billion dollars a day protecting the middle east and in a couple of years we won't care.

about 3:45 mark: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000062303

soonercruiser
12/15/2011, 01:02 PM
He's an idiot!
Unless he knows that Obama is a one-term President.
Then, there can be real change on energy dependance for the USA.

okie52
12/15/2011, 01:21 PM
Heckmann says by the end of the decade the U.S. will be net exporters of oil. and that we now spend a billion dollars a day protecting the middle east and in a couple of years we won't care.

about 3:45 mark: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000062303

Probably overlyoptimistic because the US isn't going to increase oil production by 10,000,000 barrels in the next 8 years. But we can certainly reduce our imports and we should be (if we aren't already) a NG exporter. The guy is pretty sharp though.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/15/2011, 04:46 PM
He's an idiot!
Unless he knows that Obama is a one-term President.
Then, there can be real change on energy dependance for the USA.

Much of today's discussion on CNBC was related to this..... that nobody saw fracking coming and that is will produce energy for 1/3 the cost of solar and wind. It's green vs. brown.

Two fears: Obama puts a moritorium on fracking. And an earthquake in fracking area sets off panic and it gets shut down.

All the folks they interviewed seemed to have reasonable arguments how it does not threaten water supply. I'm not a scientist, so I don't know.

KantoSooner
12/15/2011, 05:12 PM
It's called scientific illiteracy. Is there any conceivable way fracking can impact ground water? Sure. Of course. Is there any reasonable risk that fracking will impact ground water in a significant way? No. None. (there will be, of course, Uncle Festus who has a well go briny or the like, and that will be touted loudly as why all drilling in the earth should stop. But no systemic risk.)

The anti-fracking crowd are not actually concerned with fracking or its 'dangers'; instead, they are p.o.'d that, once again, the doomsday of carbon-based energy source depletion seems to have been pushed off over the near term horizon.

Thus there is little need for us to don our hairshirts, live in communes and submit to centralized control 'for our own good and that of THE PLANET'.

I feel for them that their dream is slipping away, one more time.

TFSooner
12/15/2011, 05:38 PM
Slightly off topic, but I know airlines are heavily evaluating alternative fuels derived mainly from algae. They want a dependable and reliable source of fuel that does not have drastic cost swings. Something to think about when considering the US as being a net exporter of fuel?

soonercruiser
12/15/2011, 10:33 PM
The anti-fracking crowd are not actually concerned with fracking or its 'dangers'; instead, they are p.o.'d that, once again, the doomsday of carbon-based energy source depletion seems to have been pushed off over the near term horizon.
Thus there is little need for us to don our hairshirts, live in communes and submit to centralized control 'for our own good and that of THE PLANET'.
I feel for them that their dream is slipping away, one more time.

I do agree that the extension of current energy reserves is a big disappointment to them!