PDA

View Full Version : How old were you when Gibbs took over?

8timechamps
12/14/2011, 06:20 PM
I am curious to see how old some of the folks here were when the transition from Switzer to Gibbs took place. Some of the things that are being posted lately are laughable. I can't help but think it's a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are doomsday fans that have been around for a long time, but I wonder how many Chicken Little fans know what it's like when the program really sucked.

Pricetag
12/14/2011, 06:24 PM
I was 14. I couldn't comprehend a world where Barry wasn't the coach at OU.

Blue
12/14/2011, 06:25 PM
I'm thinking a couple of Gibbs teams would kick the dog**** out of this years team.

olevetonahill
12/14/2011, 06:25 PM

soonervegas
12/14/2011, 06:26 PM

Widescreen
12/14/2011, 06:26 PM

8timechamps
12/14/2011, 06:27 PM

I was DEVASTATED when the press conference was occurring. I still remember where I was.

Soonerfan88
12/14/2011, 06:36 PM

picasso
12/14/2011, 06:37 PM
3rd year of college.

Doged
12/14/2011, 06:38 PM

stoopified
12/14/2011, 06:47 PM

stoopified
12/14/2011, 06:48 PM
I'm thinking a couple of Gibbs teams would kick the dog**** out of this years team.Sober up

SoonerDood
12/14/2011, 06:50 PM
7. Didn't really understand too much about it. I was old enough to know Charles Thompson was our coverboy in a bad way.

oufan1
12/14/2011, 06:53 PM
I am curious to see how old some of the folks here were when the transition from Switzer to Gibbs took place. Some of the things that are being posted lately are laughable. I can't help but think it's a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are doomsday fans that have been around for a long time, but I wonder how many Chicken Little fans know what it's like when the program really sucked.

I get your point but the circumstances were a lot different in those days...

Lott's Bandana
12/14/2011, 07:01 PM
Gibbs?

cvsooner
12/14/2011, 07:05 PM
32. I remember when Fairbanks was coach and was a little sad to see him go...

Jacie
12/14/2011, 07:10 PM
I was 35 the day The King stepped down and it was a sad one. There was optimism that the program would go on and not miss a beat but that didn't last . . .

pphilfran
12/14/2011, 07:11 PM

Blue
12/14/2011, 07:14 PM
Sober up

Why wouldn't they? We have no defense and Gibbs defenses were pretty good.

Seamus
12/14/2011, 07:27 PM
Why wouldn't they? We have no defense and Gibbs defenses were pretty good.

Those defenses wouldn't have a clue how to defend the spread of today.

Blue
12/14/2011, 07:31 PM
Well we will get an idea going up against Iowa. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get embarrassed.

I'm saying the team we have at this moment. Not the one we started the year out with.

delhalew
12/14/2011, 07:34 PM

8timechamps
12/14/2011, 07:39 PM
I get your point but the circumstances were a lot different in those days...

My point is that I think a lot of the folks that are whining don't really know how good we have it. We have another chance at a 10 win season. There are so many other fanbases that would consider a 10 win season a once-in-a-decade (if not more) type of season. We know it as the norm. There is no doubt we have issues, but in the end, we are a power-house. AND the fact that those same whiny fans have the fortune to start every year with expectations of a national title, or BCS bowl, is a testament to what Stoops has done for this program. The fact that there are those that question his decision making knowing very little, if any, about what is actually going on behind the scenes is a result of a skewed perspective. That's really my point.

Blue
12/14/2011, 07:44 PM
I don't want Stoops gone. I just want to see some tweaks and some passion out of the players. I know it's been a hard year on the team, but that osu game was baffling. They just quit.

OUNASH
12/14/2011, 08:13 PM
30 and I never did like a Gibbs coached team. The guy lacked Chrisma and was as dull as a butter knife. It was a sad day when Barry stepped down. Stoops has fed the monster and now the monster wants to eat him just like it did Barry.

OU_Sooners75
12/14/2011, 08:38 PM

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2011, 09:01 PM
3rd year of college.

Bastard. I was a freshman

BHB 91
12/14/2011, 09:13 PM
I was 21 and about to start my 3rd year of college as well. I still feel these are way better days than that time period.

sooneron
12/14/2011, 09:17 PM
21. I was taking audio production at the J school when the news broke.
NOTHING will compete (short of a Sandusky God forbid) with the black cloud that hung over the campus with a rape trial/shooting trial and CT getting busted.

Harris County Sooner
12/14/2011, 09:28 PM
38 and glad the Sooners had avoided what was starting to look like the death penalty.

FtWorthSooner
12/14/2011, 09:33 PM
I was 15. I just remembering wondering "why would we run Switzer off?"

prrriiide
12/14/2011, 09:37 PM
3rd year of college.

Same here.

I got interviewed by a ch. 4 crew at a gas station at 63rd and Broadway extension right after the presser. I said then that he didn't voluntarily resign, and that David Swank had it in for him all along. They edited out where I said Swank could and should EABOD. My mom was so proud of me because I didn't say "you know" one time.

And yes, Gibbs had the personality of a fencepost as HC. As DC, I remember him going all Bobby Proctor on some players down on the sidelines.

Sabanball
12/14/2011, 09:39 PM

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2011, 10:07 PM
I was 24 i believe

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2011, 10:08 PM
My point is that I think a lot of the folks that are whining don't really know how good we have it. We have another chance at a 10 win season. There are so many other fanbases that would consider a 10 win season a once-in-a-decade (if not more) type of season. We know it as the norm. There is no doubt we have issues, but in the end, we are a power-house. AND the fact that those same whiny fans have the fortune to start every year with expectations of a national title, or BCS bowl, is a testament to what Stoops has done for this program. The fact that there are those that question his decision making knowing very little, if any, about what is actually going on behind the scenes is a result of a skewed perspective. That's really my point.

Not sure 10 wins is all that great when you play 13 or 14 every year

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2011, 10:09 PM
Wonder what would have happened if Merv would have been named coach instead of Gibbs?

Tear Down This Wall
12/14/2011, 10:20 PM

Gibbs was the beginning of the end. Ran off Bobby Proctor. Ran off Chad Davis. Had Brooks/Treps run off (had an interesting discussion with Treps' daughter a few years after that about the situation).

bluedogok
12/14/2011, 10:38 PM

SoonerinSouthlake
12/14/2011, 10:46 PM
My Freshman year=Gibbs first year

here's how we looked against rivals while I was there.

4 straight losses to whorn

3out 4 losses to Nebbish

0-3-1 losses to CU

And a loss on parents weekend to some weak club that, you know, you choose for parents weekend

basel90
12/15/2011, 01:23 AM
i was attending OU and was 20 Years old. It became apparant after 2 seasons that Gibbs was not HC material and was perceived as too nice!! then the dissasters started coming with shcnellie and blake . The Athletic director then was not very smart.

picasso
12/15/2011, 01:32 AM
Bastard. I was a freshman
Thought about it a bit more. It was my 2nd year when they fired Switz.

SCOUT
12/15/2011, 01:39 AM
Freshman. I was standing in line to see a movie after one of our lessor outings and was complaining to my friends about one of Gibbs coaching decisions. I paid for my ticket and when I turned I realized the Gary was in line behind me.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/15/2011, 03:04 AM
I was 44 when Barry said goodbye. Even Bud had some non-stellar yrs. From 1958-1963, Bud's teams were way off the success of his glory yrs. I was a freshman at OU when Bud coached his last year. That was the Joe Don Looney year, and it was the only time we have EVAR beaten usuc, I believe. Of course, that was the football highlight of that yr. And, the yrs. 1958-1965 were far from characteristic ones for OU football success.

The years 1966-1970 weren't spectacular, either. They were pretty good, even for OU, but nothing like what started in 1971. I remember the glorious game against the cows in 1971. I believe the score was OU 45-cows 28. Jack Mildren and Greg Pruitt running wild. Ah well, we can HOPE that coach Stoops can right the ship again.

Sooner in Tampa
12/15/2011, 06:45 AM
I'm thinking a couple of Gibbs teams would kick the dog**** out of this years team.
+1

SCSooner71
12/15/2011, 07:28 AM

BFS
12/15/2011, 07:52 AM
I was 25 when Gibbs took over. However before that I remember "The King" having some un-King like seasons (8-4) in the early 80's and the assclowns came out of the woodwork calling for his head. So what does The King do, puts together back to back to back 11-1 seasons with a NC! C'mon peeps get over it, it be a game and I be a SOONER through and through. So unless you are Bobby, shut the **** up and enjoy the ride!

EatLeadCommie
12/15/2011, 08:30 AM
I believe I was 17. Maybe 16. Was it early 89 or 90 that Barry was shown the door?

Curly Bill
12/15/2011, 08:48 AM
Beats me how old I was, but I was around for it. And I'm still not going to defend this current coaching staff.

oumartin
12/15/2011, 09:17 AM
I was 15
Gibbs didn't field teams that would just quit.. The only time I was a little ashamed was the copper bowl. He was also handcuffed with sanctions.
Problem with Gibbs was he wasn't beating NU,CU, and Texas yearly.

Sanctions and poor facilities and having three different coaches in three years (two of those being wtf hires) is what made the nineties tough.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 09:44 AM

This...I remember thinking that there would be no more OU football.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 09:45 AM
I was 25 when Gibbs took over. However before that I remember "The King" having some un-King like seasons (8-4) in the early 80's and the assclowns came out of the woodwork calling for his head. So what does The King do, puts together back to back to back 11-1 seasons with a NC! C'mon peeps get over it, it be a game and I be a SOONER through and through. So unless you are Bobby, shut the **** up and enjoy the ride!

Yup...all the people calling for the head of coaches now would have calling for Switzer's head then.

rock on sooner
12/15/2011, 09:53 AM
I am curious to see how old some of the folks here were when the transition from Switzer to Gibbs took place. Some of the things that are being posted lately are laughable. I can't help but think it's a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are doomsday fans that have been around for a long time, but I wonder how many Chicken Little fans know what it's like when the program really sucked. 43

olevetonahill
12/15/2011, 09:54 AM
Some of Yall are OLD Bastages :very_drunk:

Mississippi Sooner
12/15/2011, 09:56 AM
I think I was about 24. What I remember most is that Gibbs wasn't given a mandate to come in and continue where Switzer left off. If anything, it was to be just the opposite. David Swank and company had decided that the most important thing was that the football team have a squeaky clean image, and that the players succeed academically. In that way, I guess Gibbs was the right man for the job. There was probably never a less controversial or downright dry coach, and they did manage to scrub the team of every bit of its bad boy image, for better and for not so better.

SoonerTerry
12/15/2011, 09:57 AM

sooneredaco
12/15/2011, 10:00 AM
9 or 10. Who's Gibbs again?

soonerbrat
12/15/2011, 10:01 AM
19. I actually have Barry Switzer's resignation on tape...sort of. I was videotaping my son, he was 3 months old or so and you could hear Barry on the TV in the background.

rock on sooner
12/15/2011, 10:01 AM
Some of Yall are OLD Bastages :very_drunk: Yep, old enough to remember
When Coors got started in Soonerland (legally.) :-)!

cleller
12/15/2011, 10:21 AM
26, I was pulling for Merv.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/15/2011, 10:28 AM
I was 15
Gibbs didn't field teams that would just quit.. The only time I was a little ashamed was the copper bowl. He was also handcuffed with sanctions.
Problem with Gibbs was he wasn't beating NU,CU, and Texas yearly.

Sanctions and poor facilities and having three different coaches in three years (two of those being wtf hires) is what made the nineties tough.

DRAW!!!

oudanny
12/15/2011, 10:31 AM
I was 36. The family was returning from a vaction in Florida. We were on I-40 just outside of Fort Smith when I heard the news on the radio. I was crushed. I was a sophomore at OU when Switzer became coach and I got to enjoy the winning streak. Swank was a cluless idiot. Gibbs never had a chance. I think he was in over his head.

OULenexaman
12/15/2011, 10:52 AM
34....and it was the worse birthday I ever had.

SoonerLaw09
12/15/2011, 11:13 AM
23. We all thought Merv was gonna get it. The 90s were very frustrating, but I'll tell you what: it was during that time that I finally decided that I was not going to allow the actions of some 18-20 year old college students to determine my mood/outlook on life every Fall. Being an OU fan started to become fun again after that, even though we sucked.

The thing about the 90s is, we knew we sucked. Gibbs, who I don't believe was a great recruiter to begin with, was further hamstrung by the probation. The NCAA dropped the scholarship limit down to 85 around that time as well. After that, most years we had only a few good players, and even when we put a decent team on the field we knew that Schnelly didn't have it and Blake was just a placeholder. Thing is, if we suck and get beat 67-0 by Nebbish, so be it. The problem I have with what we have witnessed recently is, we don't suck. We're good, or should be. There are very few teams right now who could beat us if we were playing at our best (LSU and Bammer). But we don't play at the level we can, at least we haven't for several weeks. And I will say it again, even during the 80s with Barry when we had problems (Marcus Dupree, injuries, guys like Elway, Hostetler, and Testaverde), and even during our 90s suckage, we never just quit, except on 2 occasions: the 94 Copper Bowl (when Gibbs had been canned), and during the end of the Schnelly year when he'd lost the team.

I watched our team quit the last couple of weeks. This I cannot stand to see. When the team quits, something is seriously wrong and needs to be fixed.

OUmillenium
12/15/2011, 11:14 AM

Was shocked but thought we would stay strong. Loved our running backs under early Gibbs regime. was also sad to see John Brooks days end as radio voice for sooner hoops and football.

the-rover
12/15/2011, 11:54 AM
22, living in Topeka, KS. I thought my KU buddies were feeding me BS when they told me.

12/15/2011, 11:58 AM
23. We all thought Merv was gonna get it. The 90s were very frustrating, but I'll tell you what: it was during that time that I finally decided that I was not going to allow the actions of some 18-20 year old college students to determine my mood/outlook on life every Fall. Being an OU fan started to become fun again after that, even though we sucked.

The thing about the 90s is, we knew we sucked. Gibbs, who I don't believe was a great recruiter to begin with, was further hamstrung by the probation. The NCAA dropped the scholarship limit down to 85 around that time as well. After that, most years we had only a few good players, and even when we put a decent team on the field we knew that Schnelly didn't have it and Blake was just a placeholder. Thing is, if we suck and get beat 67-0 by Nebbish, so be it. The problem I have with what we have witnessed recently is, we don't suck. We're good, or should be. There are very few teams right now who could beat us if we were playing at our best (LSU and Bammer). But we don't play at the level we can, at least we haven't for several weeks. And I will say it again, even during the 80s with Barry when we had problems (Marcus Dupree, injuries, guys like Elway, Hostetler, and Testaverde), and even during our 90s suckage, we never just quit, except on 2 occasions: the 94 Copper Bowl (when Gibbs had been canned), and during the end of the Schnelly year when he'd lost the team.

I watched our team quit the last couple of weeks. This I cannot stand to see. When the team quits, something is seriously wrong and needs to be fixed.Looked to me that we quit during TGTWDD, after the '04 season. That was the first time I saw a game that a Bob Stoops' team gave up. As far as this year's effort, the orange aggy game was the only time we did that, it seems to me. The other bad performances we have had this year, IMO, we just played poorly, but didn't actually quit.

Soonerjeepman
12/15/2011, 12:34 PM
I actually talked to an offensive lineman... out of KC before Stoops arrived...played for Gibbs, The Drunk, and Boo...
his take was

Gibbs - just like Barry...even though we was in charge of "cleaning up the program"..he didn't care what ya did as long as ya won

Schmelly - actually liked him the best...appreciated his hard work approach...

Boo - had his narks on the team..his favorites...said his favorite saying was "those things done in the dark will be brought to the light"..meaning guys would rat. Had only a select players over to his house all the time.

Course...this is all from his perspective...but interesting...

guess I could figure it out...I'm 47 now...lol...too lazy...

8timechamps
12/15/2011, 12:39 PM

Gibbs was the beginning of the end. Ran off Bobby Proctor. Ran off Chad Davis. Had Brooks/Treps run off (had an interesting discussion with Treps' daughter a few years after that about the situation).

Loved Bobby! He was close with my high school coach, so he was around a lot. Just a great man with a great mind for football.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/15/2011, 12:49 PM
The thing about the 90s is, we knew we sucked. Gibbs, who I don't believe was a great recruiter to begin with, was further hamstrung by the probation. The NCAA dropped the scholarship limit down to 85 around that time as well.

I hate to break it to you but Gibbs landed the #1 recruit in the nation at least twice while I was in school -> Chad Davis and Wilkins(? undersized DT who shattered all of Dick Butkis's high school records) and Gundy wasn't exactly low. They dropped the schollies down to 85 the year we came off of probation but more importantly they announced the changes the year we went on them.

texas bandman
12/15/2011, 01:24 PM
I was 30, and unfortunately I went to OU in btween Barry's 2nd and 3rd natonal championships. I would have loved experienceing a national championship in person. (sigh)

TheUnnamedSooner
12/15/2011, 01:29 PM
I was 9, and as many said, didn't know a OU world without Switzer. I was too young to understand what was going on with the program at the time. My freshman year was Blake's 2nd season, and as bad as we were, I still had a lot of fun going to the games. When we started winning again in '99 and '00, those were two of the best times to be a Sooner fan. I also saw student season ticket prices go from $50 to $190.

cvsooner
12/15/2011, 01:57 PM
Looked to me that we quit during TGTWDD, after the '04 season. That was the first time I saw a game that a Bob Stoops' team gave up. As far as this year's effort, the orange aggy game was the only time we did that, it seems to me. The other bad performances we have had this year, IMO, we just played poorly, but didn't actually quit.The 2008 Fiesta Bowl was a 'quit' game as well. Hate to see it but I understand it. I don't like it, but...maybe some people just need to be benched, permanently, or exit. At some point a coaching staff has to reinforce that it is in charge and do what's best for the team and the program (e.g., removing Bomar).

MamaMia
12/15/2011, 02:25 PM
I was old enough to know better.

Sooner24
12/15/2011, 02:36 PM
I was old enough to know better.

But you still did it anyway. :D

SoonerLaw09
12/15/2011, 03:06 PM
I hate to break it to you but Gibbs landed the #1 recruit in the nation at least twice while I was in school -> Chad Davis and Wilkins(? undersized DT who shattered all of Dick Butkis's high school records) and Gundy wasn't exactly low. They dropped the schollies down to 85 the year we came off of probation but more importantly they announced the changes the year we went on them.

Right...that's why I said we had "a few good players".

SoonerLaw09
12/15/2011, 03:09 PM
The 2008 Fiesta Bowl was a 'quit' game as well. Hate to see it but I understand it. I don't like it, but...maybe some people just need to be benched, permanently, or exit. At some point a coaching staff has to reinforce that it is in charge and do what's best for the team and the program (e.g., removing Bomar).

Hmmm. Yeah, I think you may be right, although for some reason I don't remember as much about playing the couchburners. We didn't lay a glove on Pat White in the 2nd half. I guess it was kinda similar to 2 weeks ago.

cleller
12/15/2011, 04:03 PM
I was 44 when Barry said goodbye. Even Bud had some non-stellar yrs. From 1958-1963, Bud's teams were way off the success of his glory yrs. I was a freshman at OU when Bud coached his last year. That was the Joe Don Looney year, and it was the only time we have EVAR beaten usuc, I believe. Of course, that was the football highlight of that yr. And, the yrs. 1958-1965 were far from characteristic ones for OU football success.

The years 1966-1970 weren't spectacular, either. They were pretty good, even for OU, but nothing like what started in 1971. I remember the glorious game against the cows in 1971. I believe the score was OU 45-cows 28. Jack Mildren and Greg Pruitt running wild. Ah well, we can HOPE that coach Stoops can right the ship again.

Pretty hard to top this guy. Joe Don Looney.

Have good memories of hearing Greg Pruitt running all over the place on Saturdays as a kid. Must be hard for young guys to imagine only getting to see OU on TV a very few times a year.

En_Fuego
12/15/2011, 04:24 PM
Pretty hard to top this guy. Joe Don Looney.

Have good memories of hearing Greg Pruitt running all over the place on Saturdays as a kid. Must be hard for young guys to imagine only getting to see OU on TV a very few times a year.

A few ? .....The Uterus games. And the special Thanksgiving games that the younger crowd has no idea of what they missed out on. It was THE Game. Oklahoma Sooners vs Nebraska Cornhuskers for the BIG 8 Championship. Awww....those were the days.........

Fraggle145
12/15/2011, 04:34 PM

En_Fuego
12/15/2011, 04:36 PM
And some more day's......................Oklahoma will always be at the TOP.........NO MATTER WHAT....TIMES CHANGE

_yR0Q-dMj9g

En_Fuego
12/15/2011, 05:10 PM
Gary Gibbs.......Ahh. Gary Gibbs......Gary Gibbs was put on display of "Good" for what Switzer was doing "Bad" ......Man, Gary....I can feel for you dude. Not only were you under the microscope of the Prez....But the donors.....Players.....Media......Fans......My God Man....How did you make it ? Oh yeah...You didn't make it. But you put up some very impressive records though.

Gary Gibbs was NO head coach.....But He was without a doubt a very GREAT defensive coordinator. Even Tom 'The Saint" Osborne feared him.

En_Fuego
12/15/2011, 05:12 PM
Excuse me........

En_Fuego
12/15/2011, 05:14 PM
You speak of this Gary Gibbs ?

AMsk1Z3KIJc

Breadburner
12/15/2011, 05:25 PM
That was fun....Love the runs...Right up the gut.....

En_Fuego
12/15/2011, 05:26 PM
TTT for the those in denial .....................

picasso
12/15/2011, 07:24 PM
Gibbs was David McWiliams' bitch. Just sayin'.

papawlambert
12/15/2011, 07:37 PM
I must have been 47.

bluedogok
12/15/2011, 10:49 PM
I think I was about 24. What I remember most is that Gibbs wasn't given a mandate to come in and continue where Switzer left off. If anything, it was to be just the opposite. David Swank and company had decided that the most important thing was that the football team have a squeaky clean image, and that the players succeed academically. In that way, I guess Gibbs was the right man for the job. There was probably never a less controversial or downright dry coach, and they did manage to scrub the team of every bit of its bad boy image, for better and for not so better.
David Swank was the problem at the time.

Gibbs did run off some players that had some issues under Switzer but I also think that was more under the direction of Swank.

sooner rick
12/15/2011, 10:53 PM
26. Happened the week of my wedding. I remember my cousin calling me from Iowa wanting to know if I called it off because of mourning!

MeMyself&Me
12/15/2011, 11:03 PM
I was 14 when Gibbs took over. All I knew was Switzer. Sad time it was. I remember that Pitt game vividly. More so than any game between Switzer and Stoops. I was grounded from the TV that weekend but watched anyway when my dad left the house lol. After that long pass for TD on the first offensive play from scrimage (following an interception), I was sure that Gibbs had OU going in the right direction. Instead, I got a decade of misery. Oh well.

oudivesherpa
12/15/2011, 11:43 PM
David Swank was the problem at the time.

Gibbs did run off some players that had some issues under Switzer but I also think that was more under the direction of Swank.

I was 44. David Swank was great for me, got me in State tuition.

batonrougesooner
12/16/2011, 12:09 AM
9th grade I believe.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/16/2011, 12:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtK51p_lMc

Well look what I found...

12/16/2011, 12:59 AM
I was 44. David Swank was great for me, got me in State tuition.We are the same age. Were you at OU in 1963-67?

lexred
12/16/2011, 09:02 AM
Well, I was 6 when Bud took over so I have gone through Bud, Gomer, Jim M., Chuck F., Barry, Gary, Smelly, Blake, and Bob. I realize that most of you energetic young folks like to dwell on the Gibbs, Smelly, Blake years as "oh my God" it could be worse, but there have been some other down times over the years. The ups and owns are part of college football and no coach is ever able to be consistantly great for a long period. Some manage to hang on like Joe Pa, but his zenith was in the 1980s.

Bob Stoops has done a lot of good things for OU football and is a class act. I hope the current situation is similar to the Switzer down times which led to another great run (unfortunately followed by another downward spiral). Barry has stated many times that there was a period where they got complacent and "weren't doing a good job". Only the real insiders know what is going on in the OU football program right now, but here are some very disturbing rumors and outward signs of problems. It is more than a matter of winning every game, which is unrealistic, but putting forth good effort and playing like a winner every time.

Whatever happens, OU football will survive and thrive again. The really bad times lately, Smelly and Blake, were the decisions of an idiot AD ( Donnie Duncan), and with Joe C that will not happen again.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/16/2011, 09:39 AM
This site is gay.

Curly Bill
12/16/2011, 09:49 AM
This site is gay.

Is there where one of says: Don't let the door hit you in the arse?

Dan Thompson
12/16/2011, 10:14 AM

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/16/2011, 11:27 AM
12. i lived two blocks from campus and going to OU games was my life. Switzer was King. when i heard he wouldnt be around, i thought the world was coming to an end. i remember when my dad told us that Gary Gibbs would be taking over, my mom said, " that guy from the Bee Gees is going to be coaching football?" still laugh at that one

oumartin
12/16/2011, 11:44 AM
I'm hearing he's up for the Chiefs head coaching job.

OkieThunderLion
12/16/2011, 12:24 PM
I was 11, remember it well.

MyT Oklahoma
12/16/2011, 12:36 PM
Thirty-four and I still don't see any humor in Barry's being forced out the way that he was.

However, if he is at peace with it now then so am I.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/16/2011, 07:01 PM
Old enough.

Sooners football survived just fine. The Wilkinson years were not going to last forever. The Fairbanks/Switzer years were not going to last forever. The Stoops years are not going to last forever.

Several got their undies all in a bunch with my "I would be ok with it if Stoops resigned" post. And missed the point entirely. Everyone agrees that changes need to happen. No one seemingly agrees on what those should be. Because none of us really are in a position to say or know. Deal with it. The pros will handle it.

But easily within the realm of possibilities for change is that Stoops burns out and decides he doesn't want to put up with this shtuff anymore. Or that the changes may involve dumping or changing people's favorite "pet" coaches (i.e. Huepel). So you saw that some on this board apparently can't stand getting punched in their idolatry. And so have resorted to demagoguery, I would add.

Again, I'll be as sad as anybody the day Stoops goes. No, him being replaced is not going to be a bed of roses, and things likely will get worse before they get better again. Been there. I have no illusions about the pitfalls that kind of change may involve. And I'm not asking for it to happen in the near future. But if it does OU football will survive and, eventually, thrive again.

To your question: I was 20, and stunned...shocked, even, that Switzer was forced out. But he needed to go. The program was absolutely disintegrating around him. It was a cesspool and needed to be flushed. Poor Gibbs got the job and did the best he could to clean up the mess and keep us winning for the most part. Just not winning at a championship level... and then the wheels really fell off as all are aware when he was fired.

And then Stoops brought OU back to power.

Quid pro quo. For those of you who still think I'm a blathering moron... you're right. But besides that how many of you think the over/under for years left in the Stoops era is UNDER 5?

It's a really good bet, maybe even probability. He's at year 13. Wilkinson and Switzer both were at 16 when they left. Only one coach made it over 20... to 23, Owen.

So why do so many on this board have such a hard time dealing with it that Stoops might be gone very soon? **** happens. As faithful Sooners we'll just have to keep on plugging away and support the next man up.

8timechamps
12/16/2011, 07:45 PM
Old enough.

Sooners football survived just fine. The Wilkinson years were not going to last forever. The Fairbanks/Switzer years were not going to last forever. The Stoops years are not going to last forever.

Several got their undies all in a bunch with my "I would be ok with it if Stoops resigned" post. And missed the point entirely. Everyone agrees that changes need to happen. No one seemingly agrees on what those should be. Because none of us really are in a position to say or know. Deal with it. The pros will handle it.

But easily within the realm of possibilities for change is that Stoops burns out and decides he doesn't want to put up with this shtuff anymore. Or that the changes may involve dumping or changing people's favorite "pet" coaches (i.e. Huepel). So you saw that some on this board apparently can't stand getting punched in their idolatry. And so have resorted to demagoguery, I would add.

Again, I'll be as sad as anybody the day Stoops goes. No, him being replaced is not going to be a bed of roses, and things likely will get worse before they get better again. Been there. I have no illusions about the pitfalls that kind of change may involve. And I'm not asking for it to happen in the near future. But if it does OU football will survive and, eventually, thrive again.

To your question: I was 20, and stunned...shocked, even, that Switzer was forced out. But he needed to go. The program was absolutely disintegrating around him. It was a cesspool and needed to be flushed. Poor Gibbs got the job and did the best he could to clean up the mess and keep us winning for the most part. Just not winning at a championship level... and then the wheels really fell off as all are aware when he was fired.

And then Stoops brought OU back to power.

Quid pro quo. For those of you who still think I'm a blathering moron... you're right. But besides that how many of you think the over/under for years left in the Stoops era is UNDER 5?

It's a really good bet, maybe even probability. He's at year 13. Wilkinson and Switzer both were at 16 when they left. Only one coach made it over 20... to 23, Owen.

So why do so many on this board have such a hard time dealing with it that Stoops might be gone very soon? **** happens. As faithful Sooners we'll just have to keep on plugging away and support the next man up.

Holy ****! You posted something I mostly agree with! :D

BTW, I completely agree about Barry leaving. He was a great coach, but the program was in 'free-for-all' mode. Even by the standards of the late 80's, it was out of control. In the end, his legacy wasn't hurt, but he had to go.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/16/2011, 09:05 PM
I was at this game.
We thought for sure we were BACK!

oudivesherpa
12/16/2011, 09:34 PM
We are the same age. Were you at OU in 1963-67?

1967-1968--Graduate school--MBA. Spent too much time at my undergraduate frat and in bars such as Across the Street, the Library and the Organ Grinder.

rock on sooner
12/16/2011, 09:55 PM
Well, if we're gonna toss Stoops then we should be grooming the next guy:subdued:

NCarolinaSooner
12/16/2011, 11:02 PM
20 something, working my first job--- with a new baby. I admit, I had other priorities at the time.

oudavid1
12/17/2011, 03:50 AM
3 years before I was born.

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 02:59 PM

They were better defensively for sure. Offensively, it depends on whether they actually tried to play a 20th century offense (as they did in the Gator Bowl and against A&M) or if they came in with the UT gameplans.

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 03:19 PM
My Freshman year=Gibbs first year

here's how we looked against rivals while I was there.

4 straight losses to whorn

3out 4 losses to Nebbish

0-3-1 losses to CU

And a loss on parents weekend to some weak club that, you know, you choose for parents weekend

Apparently we've got a bunch of people the same age. I was also a Freshman Gibbs' first year. I remember watching the road games on tape delay. Ugh!

I don't know if it was the game you were referring to but the ISU game where the hobbling white guy tore us up on QB draws was simply hard to take. The USC game where we were up 10-0 after three quarters only to give up 20 points in the fourth was really hard to watch. That USC team wasn't supposed to be very good but if you look at their roster they had some talent.

Scott D
12/17/2011, 07:12 PM

I briefly lol'd then I thought about it and I would probably take the 93 defense. Not that the 93 offense was by any means crappy...other than the starting QB bouncing his head off of the concrete we called a field.

Blue
12/17/2011, 07:19 PM
I briefly lol'd then I thought about it and I would probably take the 93 defense. Not that the 93 offense was by any means crappy...other than the starting QB bouncing his head off of the concrete we called a field.

All they would have to do is run up the middle all day and play a little D.

And again, I'm talking about the Sooner team that showed up in Stillwater.

Scott D
12/17/2011, 07:24 PM
All they would have to do is run up the middle all day and play a little D.

And again, I'm talking about the Sooner team that showed up in Stillwater.

The 93 team could easily run up the middle with Jerald Moore and James Allen. The matchup of corners and WR for both teams would be interesting. I just don't see the current O-line having much success against the 93 front seven...and as a group, I'd definitely go with Peters, Coates, and Beavers over Lewis, Wort, and Nelson.

I'd give the advantage of QB to the 11 team though.

SoonerBOkie
12/17/2011, 07:29 PM

oumartin
12/17/2011, 07:33 PM
I'd take Gibbs over Venables.

Scott D
12/17/2011, 07:34 PM
I'd take Gibbs over Venables.

you'd take swine flu over Venables :)

oumartin
12/17/2011, 07:37 PM
you'd take swine flu over Venables :)

actually, It's not that I want Venables to get the ax.

I mean I dont' like what I hear about him and how the players feel about him but when he focused on the LB's full time and didn't have to Coordinate a defense I thought he was really good.

Scott D
12/17/2011, 07:39 PM
actually, It's not that I want Venables to get the ax.

I mean I dont' like what I hear about him and how the players feel about him but when he focused on the LB's full time and didn't have to Coordinate a defense I thought he was really good.

I know, you'd rather have the swine flu focus on the game plan and Venables to coach the linebackers. It's ok martin, I know. :)

Blue
12/17/2011, 07:45 PM
FIRE LUNCHABLES...

oumartin
12/17/2011, 07:47 PM
Hey, If swine flu can teach the db's to jam a wr at the LOS I'm in his corner!!!! :D

SoonerMarkVA
12/17/2011, 08:57 PM

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 11:34 PM
Hey, If swine flu can teach the db's to jam a wr at the LOS I'm in his corner!!!! :D

I don't know anything about defensive schemes in football but I do know that there are reasons teams don't always jam receivers at the LOS.