PDA

View Full Version : Another Top 10 list . . .

Jacie
12/14/2011, 05:11 PM
Top 10 Ridiculous Bowl Names in College Football History

By Floyd Saunders, Yahoo! Contributor Network

I love how there are more college football bowl games than ever before, although I wish they could come up with some better names. Mostly because of corporate sponsors, many of the newer bowls sound totally silly.

Of these poorly named games of the past and present, these 10 are the most ridiculous:

10. Blockbuster Bowl

It's never a great idea to name a game after a company that is synonymous with a dying industry like retail movie rental. So it's probably not a surprise that there is no longer a Blockbuster Bowl, and it now has the slightly better name of the Champs Sports Bowl.

9. Outback Bowl

If you don't think about it too hard, this name sounds totally decent. But if you realize the name is supposed to invoke thoughts of rural Australia, but is actually played in Tampa, Fla., it stops making sense all together.

8. Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

The thought of the prestigious bowls make you picture nice images, like oranges and roses. But this game? You visualize a gold or silver bowl filled with shriveled old potatoes. Plus there is nothing famous about this one.

7. Insight.com Bowl

Although this game is now the Insight Bowl, I'd still like some insight into what insight.com is.

6. Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

This one is confusing; if it's a message to fight world hunger, then I like the name. But it could just as easily be telling you to prevent personal hunger my eating prepackaged macaroni and cheese.

5. Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl

If you live in an area with a Beef 'O' Brady's restaurant, then this is a typical, mediocre name. However, if you're like me and had to look up Beef 'O' Brady's to see what it even is, then it sounds plain weird.

4. MicronPC Bowl

Like the Blockbuster Bowl, the MicronPC Bowl was another incarnation of today's Champs Sports Bowl. As bad as it was, I suppose "MicronPC Bowl" still sounded better than "Commodore PC Bowl" would have.

3. Chick-fil-A Bowl

I'm still not sure if this is a bowl game or an item on a fast food menu.

2. BBVA Compass Bowl

Without a doubt, this wins the prize for the most confusing name. I have no idea what BBVA stands for, and the addition of a compass only adds to the mystery.

1. Little Caesars Pizza Bowl

This is the third "Pizza Bowl," following in the footsteps of the Papajohns.com Bowl and Domino's Pizza Copper Bowl. In normal circumstances, the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl would rank no worse than those two, but now that former company CEO Herman Cain briefly sought the presidency, the game reeks of divisive politics. This is unfortunate, because football should be a refuge from politics, no matter where you stand ideologically.

badger
12/14/2011, 05:16 PM
I nominate the Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl.

I would have no idea that it was the name, except for they kept flashing it on ESPN's bottom scroller when talking about Urbie and tOSU.

SoonerLaw09
12/14/2011, 05:16 PM
You totally forgot the real No. 1: the Poulan Weedeater Indpendence Bowl.

Jacie
12/14/2011, 05:18 PM
You totally forgot the real No. 1: the Poulan Weedeater Indpendence Bowl.

Which was always my personal favorite . . .

rekamrettuB
12/14/2011, 05:42 PM
No Belk Bowl?

Don't forget that games like Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl are really just Gator Bowl with a sponsor. Games that have dropped the "Gator" are the ones that should be on this list. Peach Bowl, etc. Those are the games that should be ashamed of themselves.

SoonerLaw09
12/14/2011, 05:55 PM
No Belk Bowl?

Don't forget that games like Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl are really just Gator Bowl with a sponsor. Games that have dropped the "Gator" are the ones that should be on this list. Peach Bowl, etc. Those are the games that should be ashamed of themselves.

I disagree. If you're contemplating a corporate sponsor that will make you look like a doofus for having such a stupid inane Bowl name, you should consider another sponsor.

sooneredaco
12/14/2011, 06:01 PM
Can't wait for the Summers Eve Massengill Bowl to be announced.

rekamrettuB
12/15/2011, 09:51 AM
I disagree. If you're contemplating a corporate sponsor that will make you look like a doofus for having such a stupid inane Bowl name, you should consider another sponsor.
True...but at least they don't drop the "Orange" "Gator" etc even if they have a corny sponsor. Those bowl games that completely sold out lost my interest. It's sad that I have to look up what bowl it is/was.

EatLeadCommie
12/15/2011, 10:31 AM
I think the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is easily the worst name on that list full of bad names. The MicronPC Bowl was one of the first times I did a WTH when it came to bowl names.

hawaii 5-0
12/15/2011, 10:44 AM
They're all getting out of hand.

I wish I had that kinda money to spend on a sponsorship.

At least it provides for some laughs.

5-0

rekamrettuB
12/15/2011, 10:56 AM
They're all getting out of hand.

I wish I had that kinda money to spend on a sponsorship.

If I did have that type of cash, I would sponsor a few bowls and instruct them to not play the game and get it back down to a decent number of bowls.

SteelClip49
12/15/2011, 11:30 AM
This guy is an idiot. If he had any clue, he'd realize the Outback Bowl is for the Outback Steakhouse in which its headquarters are in Tampa.

I'm glad the Potato Bowl is the name because it makes sense for the area.

The Peach Bowl name should have stayed but CFA is also headquartered in Atlanta. It's not too terrible.

He should have mentioned the Godaddy.com Bowl among others.

This writer is a dickweed.

Jacie
12/15/2011, 05:11 PM
From the defunct bowl game name list:

Gotham Bowl, which has a weird history to go with it's name. The first year, 1960, it was cancelled because they couldn't get two teams to play in it. There were two games, Baylor beat Utah State in 1961 while the nebbish eaked out a win over Miami in 1962.

Boothill Bowl - I don't even remember this one but it was played from 1970 to 1980, in Dodge City, KS. What a reward that must have been!

Vulcan Bowl - a bowl game before it's time (1941-48 & 1951). Imagine what we could do with a game named that today!

Bacardi Bowl - played in Havanna, Cuba off and on from 1907 to 1946. LSU won the first one beating Havanna University 56-0! Some other SEC teams played in it as well against Cuban club teams. One of the club teams beat Tulane, 11-0 in 1912. Another beat Ole Miss in 1921, so I guess those Cubans were pretty scrappy.The only real game, by our standards was the 1937 matchup between Auburn and Villanova.

cantwait48
12/16/2011, 03:53 PM
Boothill Bowl - I don't even remember this one but it was played from 1970 to 1980, in Dodge City, KS. What a reward that must have been!"

holy crap, I have been to Dodge, cannot imagine how exciting it must have been, I had to look it up and it was NAIA

budbarrybob
12/16/2011, 04:53 PM
Blue Bonnet Bowl doesn't exactly inspire gridiron excellence

SoonerorLater
12/16/2011, 05:10 PM
I think the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is easily the worst name on that list full of bad names. The MicronPC Bowl was one of the first times I did a WTH when it came to bowl names.

I'm not sure how this bowl fights hunger. If Kraft really wanted to fight hunger they could empty a few warehouses and spread the macaroni and cheese around. I hate it when these companies try to pass off an advertising / PR ploy in the guise of charitable giving.

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure how this bowl fights hunger. If Kraft really wanted to fight hunger they could empty a few warehouses and spread the macaroni and cheese around. I hate it when these companies try to pass off an advertising / PR ploy in the guise of charitable giving.

If they did that, they would have to sponsor the "Fight against Obesity" bowl next year.

SoonerLaw09
12/16/2011, 05:34 PM

No doubt. As far as I can tell not a single dime from the Fight Hunger Bowl actually goes to fight hunger. It all goes to the Bowl committee and Kraft. Kraft does have a charitable initiative involving fighting hunger but the Bowl is not part of it.

OTOH, when the aforementioned Bluebonnet Bowl was being played, all the proceeds from that went to charity. For the longest time I thought that it was sponsored by Bluebonnet margarine. I only later found out that the bluebonnet was the * state flower.