PDA

View Full Version : Do we have another exodus on our hands?

Fraggle145
12/13/2011, 05:45 PM
Its starting to look like it... 2 RBs, possibly a 3rd, a TE, ...

Didnt we just have one of these in 2008 when a ton of people left? What's the deal with that? On top of the fact that we have been missing on recruits, this definitely doesnt help.

SoonerLaw09
12/13/2011, 06:13 PM
Somebody mentioned "dysfunctional locker room" in another thread. I have it on some reasonably good authority that such is indeed a large part of the problem.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 06:25 PM
I have it on great authority that one move would cure 90 percent of it

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 06:27 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/kayjones_1958/Sherlock_looks.gif

colleyvillesooner
12/13/2011, 06:28 PM
If we are gonna start these threads, name the names.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 06:36 PM
I've named the names...

I have been told directly that Venables is close to being turned in to the administration.

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 06:36 PM
-yB7J7DYi6M

NormanPride
12/13/2011, 06:39 PM
No kidding. All these attention-whoring *******s all over the place whenever something bad happens are a cancer. "I know a guy that says this" "My source says something is going on". Bull****.

8timechamps
12/13/2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not going to comment on the recent RB rumor...because it's a rumor. However, I've had a prevailing feeling for players that come to OU, then transfer out. There's three reasons why it happens:

1. Playing time - in some cases, there are guys that are solid players and put in the work, but just happen to fall behind better talent (Tashard Choice). It sucks for these guys, because they want to play for OU, but they also deserve a shot to play...just not possible. I always wish these kids the best, and hope they succeed (like Choice did).

2. Family issues - It's life, and it happens. This is always a heartbreak to me because again, they want to be at OU, but sometimes things are just to hard to overcome.

Then there's the third reason:

3. They don't want to put in the commitment - for these guys, I think they can't leave fast enough. If they are unwilling to put in the work to play at OU, then chances are they don't deserve the opportunity anyway. And more than likely, they will fail to put in the commitment anywhere they go.

In the end, if they don't want to be here...we're better off without them.

sooneredaco
12/13/2011, 08:13 PM

Amen brotha! Preach it! It's like starting a thread about the baton twirler without pics... Useless

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 08:20 PM
No kidding. All these attention-whoring *******s all over the place whenever something bad happens are a cancer. "I know a guy that says this" "My source says something is going on". Bull****.

But your my source! :cower:

Biggnick15
12/13/2011, 08:20 PM
I've named the names...

I have been told directly that Venables is close to being turned in to the administration.

For what exactly?

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 08:22 PM
For what exactly?

He doesn't know...he is just stirring the pot!

oumartin
12/13/2011, 08:22 PM
For what exactly?

Mangino, Leach type attacks. Very personal

Biggnick15
12/13/2011, 08:25 PM
wouldnt really surprise me since 2 of bobs former guys have gotten in trouble for that. Gives us an easy way to get rid of him, without stoops having to man up and do the job. Plus if he is attacking kids personally he should probably be gone anyway.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 08:28 PM
He doesn't know...he is just stirring the pot!

Only reason I won't name my source is its a player

sooneredaco
12/13/2011, 08:31 PM
Only reason I won't name my source is its a player

Do I hear the Jaws theme song in the background?

TexasSoonerdad
12/13/2011, 08:37 PM
Folks, you may not like some of the things you are about to hear but they have to be said. I have a son leaving this program and have many mixed emotions. It has been a tough road and there have been mistakes on both sides of the equation. I will say that from my experience on the inside of the program that there are serious problems in this program. Please don't attack me as an OU hater because I have a great respect for this program. The moral that I have witnessed is one of the lowest that I have seen in a program. This program is seeing an exodus because the people in charge of this program have forgotten that they have to be able to inspire those around them. The truly great coaches and programs have this ability and it pays great dividends. Yes, the players have a responsibility, but it still requires inspiration. As far as my son goes, I had never seen him have any problems until he arived at OU. It is a tough amd new environment but something went really wrong and unfortunately we may never know what it was. For those that will disagree, the proof will be in the pudding. It always plays out in the end. We wish you the best of luck and hopefully this program can return to the program that we thought it was. P.S. Some of your coaches are not who you think they are.

sooneron
12/13/2011, 08:39 PM
OK, so Leach does it and everybody on here with the exception of Leroy says that Adam James is a coddled *****. Now, BV does it, and he should be gone. Gotit.

sooneron
12/13/2011, 08:42 PM
The moral that I have witnessed is one of the lowest that I have seen in a program.

The moral? Do you mean, the morals? And what moral/morals are you talking about? How many programs have you "witnessed"?

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 08:46 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/persaus_photo/jaws.jpg

TexasSoonerdad
12/13/2011, 08:50 PM
Several, across the country. Morale. Need more education myself. Lol.

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 08:52 PM
Folks, you may not like some of the things you are about to hear but they have to be said. I have a son leaving this program and have many mixed emotions. It has been a tough road and there have been mistakes on both sides of the equation. I will say that from my experience on the inside of the program that there are serious problems in this program. Please don't attack me as an OU hater because I have a great respect for this program. The moral that I have witnessed is one of the lowest that I have seen in a program. This program is seeing an exodus because the people in charge of this program have forgotten that they have to be able to inspire those around them. The truly great coaches and programs have this ability and it pays great dividends. Yes, the players have a responsibility, but it still requires inspiration. As far as my son goes, I had never seen him have any problems until he arived at OU. It is a tough amd new environment but something went really wrong and unfortunately we may never know what it was. For those that will disagree, the proof will be in the pudding. It always plays out in the end. We wish you the best of luck and hopefully this program can return to the program that we thought it was. P.S. Some of your coaches are not who you think they are.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/Mushroom_king_bucket/Reaction%20Faces/288.jpg

sooneron
12/13/2011, 08:54 PM
Several, across the country. Morale. Need more education myself. Lol.

Ok, that's not nearly as bad a problem as poor morals. *phew! Look at where it got the caines...

sooneron
12/13/2011, 08:56 PM
COuld a hypothesis be thus? Players on D want a specific coord & maybe another coach gone, so they go in the tank and **** up on purpose?

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 08:58 PM
COuld a hypothesis be thus? Players on D want a specific coord & maybe another coach gone, so they go in the tank and **** up on purpose?

heh

Breadburner
12/13/2011, 09:03 PM
When you start letting recruits and parents run your program you are ****ed....!!!!!!!!!

oumartin
12/13/2011, 09:05 PM
I don't think they tanked on purpose..

I think it's easier to handle things when you are winning but when you all the sudden lose the burdens of personal attacks, infighting and other things probably start to affect those young men. They are, after all, still very young and many away from their security systems for the first time.

There is a ton of pressure of both the kids and the coaches to perform at incredibly high levels and I think at this point in time they aren't meshing at all.

The pressure on the coaches caused them to maybe say things they shouldn't and it just multiplied and affected already fragile personalities. It's hard to perform but when someone is breathing down your neck it's probably that much harder to perform.

sooneredaco
12/13/2011, 09:06 PM
Bad morale???? But the ESPN special at the start of the season showed otherwise...! How can it be so?

oumartin
12/13/2011, 09:10 PM
Bad morale???? But the ESPN special at the start of the season showed otherwise...! How can it be so?

The tragedy may be the only thing that kept the team together somewhat.. They may have felt there was some divine intervention going on, but once you lose and the manner of which you lose kinda slapped you back to reality.

Lets also look at this.. How did Box become dependent on those pills? Was it his own doing or was a position coach or someone else telling him to suck it up and get back on the field last year? How do you cope with the pain if you have a coach wanting you to play?

I'm not saying it's the case but who knows.

mdklatt
12/13/2011, 09:10 PM
Maybe the pressure would be more bearable if the fans didn't buy into the BS preseason rankings and then turn into a bunch of whiny butthurt titty babies if we don't go undefeated every year. God our fans suck.

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 09:12 PM
Sounds like we all take after mdklatt!

oumartin
12/13/2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah, cuz the pressure the fans put on bama and lsu is making them pretty sorry

CowboyMRW
12/13/2011, 09:21 PM
What is going on?

@Dare2Live_4 Marcus Trice
With the **** I've been hearing. I'm Blessed and Thankful God told me to leave OU when he did. Doesn't surprise me though. All about the $

Rocko
12/13/2011, 09:24 PM
The OU parent post could not be any more vague and emotionally provoking. Fake?

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 09:29 PM
Maybe this generation is just a bunch of coddled immature whine bags. They get pissed because they can't "Tweet" or "Facebook". They would rather sit around on their a$$ and play Wii and Playstation all day. They think their the second coming of Ray Lewis and they're really average at best. These "Kids" now days are a lazy bunch of mofo's looking for someone to give them praise for doing what they're suppose to do in the first place. The best thing they could do is put down the "Tweeter" and quit crying on the internet about everything wrong in your handed down gift of a life. Maybe the Coaches are just fed up with this BS.

Or:

There is a serious problem with the arrogance and ego's of some of the Coaches. Maybe the players know that the schemes and plays suck out the a$$. Maybe the players know they are going to lose because some Coach should be working in a snow cone stand instead of coaching. Maybe they are tired of getting screamed and threatened with their position because some moron retard is lining them up wrong. Maybe these players are giving it all they have but the alignment and plays are causing them to fail. Maybe the corners want to play bump and run but some genius is telling them to play 12 yards off.

Is the answer behind door #1 or #2

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 09:33 PM
The tragedy may be the only thing that kept the team together somewhat.. They may have felt there was some divine intervention going on, but once you lose and the manner of which you lose kinda slapped you back to reality.

Lets also look at this.. How did Box become dependent on those pills? Was it his own doing or was a position coach or someone else telling him to suck it up and get back on the field last year? How do you cope with the pain if you have a coach wanting you to play?

I'm not saying it's the case but who knows.

@Dare2Live_4 Marcus Trice
With the **** I've been hearing. I'm Blessed and Thankful God told me to leave OU when he did. Doesn't surprise me though. All about the $

WTF

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 09:41 PM
I gots a feeling Stoops will be cleaning out the closet this off season!

prrriiide
12/13/2011, 09:42 PM
*phew! Look at where it got the caines...

And JoePa...

prrriiide
12/13/2011, 09:50 PM
Maybe this generation is just a bunch of coddled immature whine bags. They get pissed because they can't "Tweet" or "Facebook". They would rather sit around on their a$$ and play Wii and Playstation all day. They think their the second coming of Ray Lewis and they're really average at best. These "Kids" now days are a lazy bunch of mofo's looking for someone to give them praise for doing what they're suppose to do in the first place. The best thing they could do is put down the "Tweeter" and quit crying on the internet about everything wrong in your handed down gift of a life. Maybe the Coaches are just fed up with this BS.

Or:

There is a serious problem with the arrogance and ego's of some of the Coaches. Maybe the players know that the schemes and plays suck out the a$$. Maybe the players know they are going to lose because some Coach should be working in a snow cone stand instead of coaching. Maybe they are tired of getting screamed and threatened with their position because some moron retard is lining them up wrong. Maybe these players are giving it all they have but the alignment and plays are causing them to fail. Maybe the corners want to play bump and run but some genius is telling them to play 12 yards off.

I'm gonna go with door #2.

Knowing Schmitty's M.O. these kids don't even see the practice field if they aren't working their arses off in the weight room. If they were lazy, they wouldn't be highly regarded recruits coming out of high school. They resort to twitter and facebook because they don't have much time to keep up with friends and family and that's the fastest way to have some sort of communication.

And speaking of Schmitty...I'm pretty sure he's one of the big problems and has been for a long time.

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2011, 10:01 PM
I gots a feeling Stoops will be cleaning out the closet this off season!

If it needs to be done, I sincerely hope you're right. If Stoops is conflicted over what needs to be done vs. his loyalty, that's a real problem. Obviously I don't know crap, so I'm speaking in hypotheticals here. It really does seem like the wheels have come off, and someone needs to zip 'em back on and quick.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 10:03 PM
Stoops loyalty is admirable but seems to maybe have affected his ability to cut staff when needed..

sooneredaco
12/13/2011, 10:56 PM
And speaking of Schmitty...I'm pretty sure he's one of the big problems and has been for a long time.

What are you basing this on?

IBleedCrimson
12/13/2011, 10:57 PM
After reading 40+ posts I have learned that there are a number of players leaving.

In regards to "why": oumartin hates most of the staff and may have a secret source, that parents may know whats happening, that it could be number of are coaches responsible, it could be playing time, locker room issues, or that OU players are spoiled little brats that can only get social attention by tweeting, and maybe those players are deliberately playing poorly to get rid of coaches, players may being driven to use painkillers by the coaching staff or fan pressure, and program morale may or may not be at all epic all time low.

whew! We are so close to the truth! :)

oumartin
12/13/2011, 11:04 PM
so, hating Venables = hating most the staff? He's the only one I want replaced. Heck he could just take a step back to coaching lb's and stick around.. I just want new Coordinator

sooneredaco
12/13/2011, 11:06 PM
Heck he could just take a step back to coaching lb's and stick around.. I just want new Coordinator

I really don't think you're alone in this either

IBleedCrimson
12/13/2011, 11:10 PM
so, hating Venables = hating most the staff? He's the only one I want replaced. Heck he could just take a step back to coaching lb's and stick around.. I just want new Coordinator

Hyperbole works better when illustrating the point that maybe 1 or 2 people actually know what going on, and everyone else is joining the circle jerk just to join a circle jerk so they can tell their friends about the circle jerk

oumartin
12/13/2011, 11:12 PM
this is how I get a bad name!

LostCreekSooner
12/13/2011, 11:14 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. I think all programs have serious internal problems when the results are well below the expected outcomes. Undefeated national champions... to a 3 loss team that got bitch-slapped by their little sister. Painful!

Long ago in the Switzer years I had serious inside information on the program as a whole. It was amazing how the public perception was different than what really was going on. That goes for players and coaches. It bothers me that some of our coaches that have left have acted so poorly towards their kids. It also doesn't help when the head coach acts like a complete arse to the press. Sigh.

Fraggle145
12/13/2011, 11:24 PM

We lost two RBs early in the season, Calhoun and that other guy... Then the TE that left and that maybe wants to come back. And then it is Rumored that Williams wants to leave.

That is who/what I was talking about.

Fraggle145
12/13/2011, 11:30 PM
The list doesn't end there.

Go on...

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2011, 11:32 PM
I seem to recall a little NCAA slap on the wrist from last spring regarding coaches misusing "voluntary" workouts. As usually, this board jumped all over the players as being malcontents and snitches. Perhaps that was a little red flag...

oulucas
12/14/2011, 12:30 AM

So, your son didn't playing time? Is that what you're saying?

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/14/2011, 12:54 AM

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

prrriiide
12/14/2011, 01:48 AM

Reputation and stories that have come out over the years. Working guys until they puke and then mocking them for it. The consensus a few years ago (aided by reports from former players) was that the reason we couldn't hold on to good OLmen was that they got sick of Schmitty's tactics. The reputation he has that R. Lee Ermey would hear him chewing arse and say "That was harsh." Stories posted both here and on the old OUI paint him as an abusive SOB.

soonercastor
12/14/2011, 02:52 AM
http://tnation.t-nation.com/forum_images/2/c/2cb85_ORIG-I_LIKE_WHERE_THIS_THREAD_IS_GOING.jpg

En_Fuego
12/14/2011, 03:02 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/persaus_photo/schmidt.jpg

soonercastor
12/14/2011, 03:26 AM
P.S. Some of your coaches are not who you think they are.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/11/128682523043696602.jpg

OUTrumpet
12/14/2011, 06:42 AM

And weren't you calling for Wilson to get out of here as well? Look how that worked out for us.

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2011, 06:58 AM
Gerald McCoy said..."the ONE coach I will NEVER miss...is Schmitty!!!"

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2011, 07:30 AM
James Haynes and Josh Aladenoye are GONE

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 07:37 AM
Folks, you may not like some of the things you are about to hear but they have to be said. I have a son leaving this program and have many mixed emotions.

Have fun. Don't let the doorknob hit him in the butt. I don't think I've ever seen a kid leave a program like OU and succeed elsewhere. Maybe he'll find out that he wasn't all he thought he was.

I had never seen him have any problems until he arived at OU.

(sarcasm) We've never had a kid find out that D1 football is a little more challenging and demanding that high school ball. (/sarcasm)

SoonerDood
12/14/2011, 07:41 AM
And weren't you calling for Wilson to get out of here as well? Look how that worked out for us.

and Calvin Simpson as well.

kevpks
12/14/2011, 08:18 AM
If we had beaten OSU, this thread would not exist. I'm not saying that guys wouldn't be transferring, but we just wouldn't give a ****. I still take that attitude about transfers. If they don't want to be here, it opens a scholarship and there are plenty of talented players who do. If nothing else, some of these kids should just tough it out for the free education at a good school.

cleller
12/14/2011, 08:30 AM
The world would have been a better place indeed if we had beat OSU.

stoopified
12/14/2011, 08:51 AM
The sky is falling,the sky is falling.

EatLeadCommie
12/14/2011, 09:04 AM
I understand the need for folks to dismiss the rumors, but this seems to be a case of there being an awful lot of smoke for there not to be fire. Now folks can dismiss it as rumor if they want, or dismiss it as kids just being spoiled brats or not having what it takes to compete at OU, but I'm guessing there is more to this than just grumblings. Transfers, Damien Mackey's posts, a post by somebody with a kid in the program, a tweet by a former OU player...to me it's starting to add up.

Sure, it could be a case of a few spoiled kids poisoning the well. It could be something dumb like what happened with Leach at Taco Tech. Or it could be something more akin to Jim Leavitt. However, regardless of what it is, IF the kids aren't buying into the program and are actually at the point where there is a bit of a mutiny, folks have got to go. I'm not saying it has reached that critical mass yet (I have no idea what is true), but once a program is lost, that's it. Mackovic at Arizona, Stoops at Arizona, Mangino at KU...all examples of coaches who lost their programs. I don't think Stoops is there, but if he has assistants who are in danger of putting him there, they need to find employment elsewhere because they will bring him down with them. And of course, beyond that, some of them haven't performed well enough in their jobs to warrant continued employment anyway.

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2011, 09:06 AM
The sky is falling,the sky is falling.
No, you're right. Everything is fine...nothing to see here, move along

Enjoy services this Sunday at Holy Name Church of Bob Stoops

dennis580
12/14/2011, 09:09 AM
The lack of morale was clear during the OSU game. The team just didn't have any fight in them at all.

Neath a Western Sky
12/14/2011, 09:10 AM
"If this or that bad thing hadn't happened, we wouldn't be worried, complaining, etc."..That's like saying if Uncle Joe were only still here it would be great, while ignoring the alcohol, drug, food, gambling, etc., addictions that killed him. 44-10 wouldn't have happened if a whole bunch of problems didn't exist in this program. We're concerned not b/c we lost to OSU, but because of an unparalleled (for the Stoops era) set of problems exists that led to that debacle.

And to my fellow fans who cavalierly boast that we'll be just as good, or better, without some of these players as with them...no, we'll just continue having 2- and 3- and more-loss seasons. Reality: if we lose Brandon Williams, that is NOT good, and it WILL hurt us.

olevetonahill
12/14/2011, 09:20 AM
:very_drunk::texan:

zeptrey
12/14/2011, 09:28 AM
Going into full meltdown mode...in....3....2....1.... :texan:

This off-season is going to blow! Things will be fine...I think ... 2012 is upon us!

oumartin
12/14/2011, 09:31 AM
Yep, I called out Wilson, I'm not gonna judge Heupel on one year. I'm a little dissapointed in him but he'll learn hopefully. Wilson's proven to be a winner up there in Indiana.

Whats Calvin doing these days? What NCAA program is he a coach at?

TheBobbyTrain
12/14/2011, 09:31 AM
Have fun. Don't let the doorknob hit him in the butt. I don't think I've ever seen a kid leave a program like OU and succeed elsewhere. Maybe he'll find out that he wasn't all he thought he was.

With only about 2 seconds of thought, Tashard Choice comes to mind. He would probably have something to say about that.

sooneron
12/14/2011, 09:35 AM
With only about 2 seconds of thought, Tashard Choice comes to mind. He would probably have something to say about that.

Yes, that was pretty much pointed out around page one.

oudanny
12/14/2011, 09:42 AM
Different people respond to different types of motivation. Some don't want to be yelled at while others need that to push themselves to the limit. Personally, I have never understood the yelling and personal attacks approach. If a player doesn't respond well to that environment then he needs to transfer for his sake and the sake of the program. However, it does sound as though a coach or more may have gone beyond the limits. The results on the field this season and some of the comments in this thread would seem to support that idea.

PLaw
12/14/2011, 09:58 AM
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Are we back in the 60's? Hmmm, sounds like the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

Just sayin'

Boomer

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 09:59 AM

I left off Choice and Nichol because I didn't think their situations were comparable to what we're discussing right now. So, yeah, I didn't properly qualify my statement.

In Choice's case he made the right move because he was sitting behind the greatest RB to play in college in over 20 years. When he transferred it was pretty much consensus that he was making the right decision. I don't think there was any indication that he was unhappy at OU but more that he had an absolute beast in front of him.

As for Nichol, things have worked out well for him but he didn't exactly get what he was looking for (a starting QB spot) when he transferred. I'm sure he's happy being closer to home and contributing in another role. I wish him the best.

In neither of these cases is there any sort of indictment on the coaching staff. Time has proven that the coaches made the right move playing both Peterson (duh!) and Bradford.

Anyway, the list of big-time recruits turn transfers who never really did anything at their new school is long. It seems that in most cases they either didn't have the work ethic (proven at more than one school) or just weren't as talented as they thought they were.

Soonerfan88
12/14/2011, 10:03 AM

Or:

It's both. I know the younger generation has been getting a bad rap since Socrates but society really is different now. This is the time of participation trophies and 'everyone is a success' and many kids just aren't taught how to handle not getting what they want. Social workers and child psychologists got enough bleeding hearts to worry about damaging the poor kids psyche that some teachers aren't even allowed to use red ink any more. Add that attitude to the extra attention HS athletes already got and it becomes impossible for some not to become prima donnas. Mix in the ones who do work hard and resent those who don't think they have to (especially if the maybe-slackers are still playing) and you get a toxic locker room no matter who is coaching. Just as an outside observer, I've seen enough Little League to know I could never be a coach at any level and deal with that kind of attitude from either the kids or the parents.

Many of our coaches have been in the business for a long time. Several of them have been an OU for the last 13 years. They certainly can get complacent or a little rigid in their thinking and are not perfect. This year might have actually been a change in attitude/behavior due to previous 'soul searching' some fans/posters are calling for now. If it's not working, they will have to try again. Maybe some do need to move on and get re-energized and refocused somewhere else. Maybe they can use the off season to tweak the changes and get things back on track. The fact is, we don't know what's going on in that locker room because we aren't there and don't know everyone's thoughts or reasoning. There are multiple sides to every story and just because your best friend or child is in the locker room, you still don't know enough to get the whole truth. At this time, I'm more likely to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt because they are more mature and more likely to correct what is wrong than a still-maturing, sometimes overly emotional young man.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/14/2011, 10:07 AM
Its starting to look like it... 2 RBs, possibly a 3rd, a TE, ...

Didnt we just have one of these in 2008 when a ton of people left? What's the deal with that? On top of the fact that we have been missing on recruits, this definitely doesnt help.

NM

PrideMom
12/14/2011, 10:15 AM
Choice left OU because his mother was ill, and that is why he did not have to sit out the year when he transferred.

kevpks
12/14/2011, 10:25 AM
Ahmed Kabba was a transfer that always stuck out in my mind. A wide receiver leaving before a Mike Leach offense shows up probably wasn't a wise decision in hindsight.

colleyvillesooner
12/14/2011, 10:27 AM
Choice left OU because his mother was ill, and that is why he did not have to sit out the year when he transferred.

The fact he was in the same year as Peterson didn't help either.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 10:35 AM
Blaming "kids today" doesn't fly. It's a level playing field with other schools in that regard (except the military schools). Coaches must be able to lead and inspire the current kids, whoever they are.

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 10:38 AM

I wasn't aware of that. That fact just reinforces the point that the Choice transfer wasn't the normal "I should be playing" or "I don't like the coaches" transfer.

Even if Choice did transfer simply because he was behind Peterson, nobody would have blamed him. Most starting NFL running backs would be riding the pine at OU if they were behind Peterson and thus most might not have had the shot to make their name in the NFL. But, anyway, this isn't the norm with guys who leave and the good cases like Choice and Nichol are usually obvious at the time of the transfer.

I actually thought Grady was going to be one of the good decisions as well. I was surprised when he didn't crack the starting lineup at Utah. He would have been a lot better off staying at OU. When Bomar left he would have been the heir apparent.

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 10:39 AM
Who, exactly, has been confirmed to leave recently? I know about Miller and Calhoun, and some are saying Heywood is trying to come back? This does not sound like an exodus. It sounds like butthurt.

olevetonahill
12/14/2011, 11:14 AM
After reading this thread Its apparent that Our Coaches suck, Our Players suck . Hell every thing about our program sucks
Think Ill become a Aggie Fan

Naw , Ill stick with My SOONERS

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 11:18 AM
Who, exactly, has been confirmed to leave recently? I know about Miller and Calhoun, and some are saying Heywood is trying to come back? This does not sound like an exodus. It sounds like butthurt.

Looks like James Haynes and Aladenoye are both leaving. http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/12/13/2634101/ou-football-let-the-attrition-begin-two-transfers-confirmed

Could just be more butt hurt, but, butt hurt has killed our classes before... And having a butt hurt class every 3-4 years probably isnt a good thing.

Breadburner
12/14/2011, 11:19 AM
After reading this thread Its apparent that Our Coaches suck, Our Players suck . Hell every thing about our program sucks

No kidding the speculation and diarrhea of the mouth is nauseating.....

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 11:19 AM

I didnt say any of that. I was just wondering if we are about to have another exodus, which means we have to fight to get back to 10 win seasons again... Because that blows ***.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 11:22 AM
I'm genuinely concerned at the direction the program is headed.. If that makes me aggy or whatever so be it.

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 11:25 AM
No kidding the speculation and diarrhea of the mouth is nauseating.....

If there wasnt any speculation or diarrhea of the mouth, there would be no SF.com.

olevetonahill
12/14/2011, 11:27 AM
I didnt say any of that. I was just wondering if we are about to have another exodus, which means we have to fight to get back to 10 win seasons again... Because that blows ***.
Bro , Yer OP was pretty good, Its all the Bull **** that followed ya.:very_drunk:

olevetonahill
12/14/2011, 11:27 AM
I'm genuinely concerned at the direction the program is headed.. If that makes me aggy or whatever so be it.

Only YOU know yer Heart and motives .

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 11:29 AM
Bro , Yer OP was pretty good, Its all the Bull **** that followed ya.:very_drunk:

Yeah, sifting through the thread can be tiresome, but there is some good stuff in here... Apparently we have like 3 five star athletes on campus today and a few other recruits here for the football banquet. So its not like there arent people signing up to replace them. Unfortunately none of them are run blocking OL men ;)

oumartin
12/14/2011, 11:32 AM
run blocking o-linemen would be on the wrong campus today.

SoonerTerry
12/14/2011, 11:39 AM

OK whose troll is this?

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2011, 11:39 AM
I wasn't aware of that. That fact just reinforces the point that the Choice transfer wasn't the normal "I should be playing" or "I don't like the coaches" transfer.

Even if Choice did transfer simply because he was behind Peterson, nobody would have blamed him. Most starting NFL running backs would be riding the pine at OU if they were behind Peterson and thus most might not have had the shot to make their name in the NFL. But, anyway, this isn't the norm with guys who leave and the good cases like Choice and Nichol are usually obvious at the time of the transfer.

I actually thought Grady was going to be one of the good decisions as well. I was surprised when he didn't crack the starting lineup at Utah. He would have been a lot better off staying at OU. When Bomar left he would have been the heir apparent.
Didn't surprise me one bit. His choice of Utah always mystified the heck out of me because they were still running the sproption at the time, & if there's one QB in the Stoops era that made Landry look like a pre-knees JDub, it was Grady. He'd have been wayyyy better served in going to a pro style offense (IIRC, UCLA was another school he was looking at).

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2011, 11:42 AM
I am am concerned as well

I don't think everything is just super swell like some people...so, according to this thread...I suck and I am aggy

Apparently, players leaving, losing to **** teams while giving up record numbers of yards is swell. And if you bitch about it...prepare to get bitched at.

So, I will just go and put my head in the sand and pretend like we are going to chase #8 next year

Cantstandya
12/14/2011, 11:45 AM

Sad really... Thanks for the post. Good luck to your son!

SoonerTerry
12/14/2011, 11:45 AM
Troll central

Dan Thompson
12/14/2011, 11:49 AM
I am sure some of us could name players that have spent 4 years at OU and never played a snap.

If they rotated more, to help keep injuries down, and let every one play, while not burning a red shirt, could make for alot more happy campers.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 11:51 AM
there were no injuries in 2000 cuz J.S. hadn't had enough time to break their bodies down.

Cantstandya
12/14/2011, 12:08 PM

(sarcasm) We've never had a kid find out that D1 football is a little more challenging and demanding that high school ball. (/sarcasm)

"I don't think I've ever seen a kid leave a program like OU and succeed elsewhere."

Yah, that Aikman guy sure sucked at UCLA. T. Choice is pretty good too.

SoonerLaw09
12/14/2011, 12:09 PM
It's both. I know the younger generation has been getting a bad rap since Socrates but society really is different now. This is the time of participation trophies and 'everyone is a success' and many kids just aren't taught how to handle not getting what they want. Social workers and child psychologists got enough bleeding hearts to worry about damaging the poor kids psyche that some teachers aren't even allowed to use red ink any more. Add that attitude to the extra attention HS athletes already got and it becomes impossible for some not to become prima donnas. Mix in the ones who do work hard and resent those who don't think they have to (especially if the maybe-slackers are still playing) and you get a toxic locker room no matter who is coaching. Just as an outside observer, I've seen enough Little League to know I could never be a coach at any level and deal with that kind of attitude from either the kids or the parents.

^^^^this. My source is also a player so I will not name names. However, the above is precisely the issue (the coaches do bear responsibility for not defusing it, however, or taking some other action to remedy the situation). There is a certain "leader" on defense who is actually anything but, who thinks everyone should suck up to him. He acts like he's all that, but hasn't got the tools he thinks he has. One guy on the field, totally different personality when the cameras are off. There's a big loyalty split among the defensive players. Venables apparently doesn't know how to handle it.

Rocko
12/14/2011, 12:26 PM
^^^^this. My source is also a player so I will not name names. However, the above is precisely the issue (the coaches do bear responsibility for not defusing it, however, or taking some other action to remedy the situation). There is a certain "leader" on defense who is actually anything but, who thinks everyone should suck up to him. He acts like he's all that, but hasn't got the tools he thinks he has. One guy on the field, totally different personality when the cameras are off. There's a big loyalty split among the defensive players. Venables apparently doesn't know how to handle it.

It's TL, let's get real anyone could have told you this.

Ton Loc
12/14/2011, 12:27 PM
This thread is awesome. Its got everything you need -

New Trolls
Old Trolls
Rumors
Un-named sources
Martin
Hyperbole

The list goes on...

kevpks
12/14/2011, 12:42 PM

New Trolls
Old Trolls
Rumors
Un-named sources
Martin
Hyperbole

The list goes on...

Heh. I love how he gets his own spot on the list.

Curly Bill
12/14/2011, 12:52 PM

Agreed. Calling someone aggy because they're not hiding behind crimson sunglasses or whatever, seems well....awfully aggy to me.

Ton Loc
12/14/2011, 01:05 PM
Heh. I love how he gets his own spot on the list.

I like Martin. He's the Godfather of OU pessimism. I don't like the new guys that do it wrong.

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 01:07 PM
Defensive players and RBs leaving en masse... I have no idea what is going on. Gundy has too long of a good track record for this to logically be on him with the RBs. I think BV has lost it, though...

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 01:08 PM
Yah, that Aikman guy sure sucked at UCLA. T. Choice is pretty good too.

You know what, I've think we've talked Tashard Choice to death.

As for Aikman, again it's a different situation that what we're talking about here. The coaches fully encouraged Aikman to leave and helped him get in touch with the UCLA staff. We're not talking about players who aren't seeing the field and complaining about playing time. When Aikman left Switzer said that he was an outstanding QB who will be very successful at UCLA. He just no longer fit the offensive direction the coaches had taken.

That being said, Aikman does seem to have a different recollection of how things went down than Switzer's version...

picasso
12/14/2011, 01:19 PM
Sad really... Thanks for the post. Good luck to your son!
I agree. It's a sad post.

yankee
12/14/2011, 01:23 PM
If we're gonna start naming coaches, might as well put Heupel's name out there. I know of several players who think he is an absolute *** hole of a coach. And with all these offensive players leaving...........

It's early and I may be overreacting, but this is starting to feel a little like the ut situation last year.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 01:28 PM
might as well put Heupel's name out there. I know of several players who think he is an absolute *** hole of a coach. And with all these offensive players leaving...........

One could gather that from watching the ESPN special.. he was pretty animated at times.. lol

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but who knows. :(

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2011, 01:33 PM
Max Stevenson transferring is going around

toast
12/14/2011, 01:34 PM

New Trolls
Old TrollsRumors
Un-named sources
Martin
Hyperbole
The list goes on...

kinda redundant

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 01:35 PM

Holy ****.

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 01:40 PM
So another TE? Weeeeeeeeeeeee

TFSooner
12/14/2011, 01:41 PM
Have fun. Don't let the doorknob hit him in the butt. I don't think I've ever seen a kid leave a program like OU and succeed elsewhere.

How about Brandon Keith? Starting OT for the Arizona Cardinals. I would say that he found a little bit of success elsewhere.

trwxxa
12/14/2011, 01:41 PM

I'm also hearing Drew Allen.

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 01:43 PM
http://machosmag-science.com/uploads/164/small_6.jpg

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 01:47 PM
Wow.

Chiliman
12/14/2011, 01:59 PM
It's TL, let's get real anyone could have told you this.
Exactly. Austin Box was Venables' balast in this regard. Travis could do all his hooting and hollering but Venables knew he could lean on Austin to keep it real with the defensive players. His death hurt this team a lot more than people realize.

Blue
12/14/2011, 02:17 PM
I am am concerned as well

I don't think everything is just super swell like some people...so, according to this thread...I suck and I am aggy

Apparently, players leaving, losing to **** teams while giving up record numbers of yards is swell. And if you bitch about it...prepare to get bitched at.

So, I will just go and put my head in the sand and pretend like we are going to chase #8 next year

+1.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 02:19 PM
This is truth, again i won't name the players name but it's not one or two that want a coach gone. It's all the players on that side.

KantoSooner
12/14/2011, 02:25 PM
Exactly. Austin Box was Venables' balast in this regard. Travis could do all his hooting and hollering but Venables knew he could lean on Austin to keep it real with the defensive players. His death hurt this team a lot more than people realize.
I'm not ready to blame TL for all this. But I'll agree that Box's role on the team was greatly underestimated.
It's an interesting thing and one I never much liked about team sports how the group chemistry can change so much day to day and with seemingly minor changes in personnel.

sooneredaco
12/14/2011, 03:07 PM
This is truth, again i won't name the players name but it's not one or two that want a coach gone. It's all the players on that side.

Which side? The shark infested side or the minnow side?

One4OU
12/14/2011, 03:12 PM
We also had players that demanded Blake stay.

Players come and go.. Some teams have chemistry and some don't.Some coaches know how to build teamwork and others don't.

We can't just give a knee jerk reaction because some players don't like a coach....I still haven't seen any accusations... If there is an issue then Bob needs to take care of it...

Perceptions can be very different from truths depending on whose eyes we are talking.

Boomer.....
12/14/2011, 03:13 PM
I really do not know what is happening.

I have heard Clay might transfer as well.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 03:14 PM
do we even use a running back?

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 03:15 PM
We can't have EVERYONE transfer. Holy crap. We need at least one running back to stay on the team.

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 03:16 PM
Another example of a player transferring and being succesful is Chase Beeler.

sooneredaco
12/14/2011, 03:17 PM
If I were smart enough I'd embed the YouTube link of dumb and dumber.

"Our pets heads are falling off!"

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 03:17 PM
We can't have EVERYONE transfer. Holy crap. We need at least one running back to stay on the team. We need someone to play defense too. Maybe that is why we started targeting all of these JUCO guys.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 03:19 PM
We can't have EVERYONE transfer. Holy crap. We need at least one running back to stay on the team.

Exactly! Someone has to pick up the blitz.

En_Fuego
12/14/2011, 03:23 PM
lTSVOnhLtCs

Boren and Joe C. need to get whatever the problem is in Normantown out in the open pretty fast before all of this really blows up.

sooneredaco
12/14/2011, 03:23 PM
Crazy double post

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2011, 03:25 PM
We also had players that demanded Blake stay.

Players come and go.. Some teams have chemistry and some don't.Some coaches know how to build teamwork and others don't.

We can't just give a knee jerk reaction because some players don't like a coach....I still haven't seen any accusations... If there is an issue then Bob needs to take care of it...

Perceptions can be very different from truths depending on whose eyes we are talking.

Good post

sooneron
12/14/2011, 03:28 PM
NO it's not!

sooneron
12/14/2011, 03:29 PM
Sub-par at best.

DCSooner
12/14/2011, 03:29 PM
Good post You know you can give spek now?

sooneron
12/14/2011, 03:30 PM
I'm going to ask that you not post in this thread.

Augusta_Sooner
12/14/2011, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=jkjsooner;3425196]Have fun. Don't let the doorknob hit him in the butt. I don't think I've ever seen a kid leave a program like OU and succeed elsewhere. Maybe he'll find out that he wasn't all he thought he was.

Troy Aikman turned out pretty decent....

Tear Down This Wall
12/14/2011, 03:48 PM
lTSVOnhLtCs

Boren and Joe C. need to get whatever the problem is in Normantown out in the open pretty fast before all of this really blows up.

Now, that's funny! Boren being worried about anything other than getting us into the Pac-12, and Castiglione worried about anything other than dollars.

The things is on auto pilot, and that means Stoops. As much as I love Stoops as a master defensive guru, his management skills are for sh*t. If this blows up, it's because everyone was pursuing their own ends and not the on the field product.

In short, they treated it all more like a "brand" instead of a football team full of 18-22 year old kids.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 03:52 PM
OU, JUST DO IT!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2011, 04:05 PM
You know you can give spek now?

I did baby

batonrougesooner
12/14/2011, 04:15 PM
So I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago. I was after the Tech loss. I was at a theater near the Riverwalk (in the little Mall they have there if you are familiar). Anyway, I presented my debit card to the lady at the counter to pay for my tickets. Since I'm from Oklahoma my bank is predictably one with Oklahoma in the name. The lady asks me if I'm an OU fan. I tell her that I am. She then tells me "Well, Travis Lewis is my brother and he's the leader of the OU defense". My first thought was "Well, that's nice but why is she telling me this?". I looked at her and smiled and said to her "Well, if he's the leader of the OU defense, you should tell him he needs to lead." I'd had a couple of drinks... :)

Guess you kind of had to be there but the way she pronounced to me who her brother was and the way she said it just struck me as odd. Kind of "Primadonnaish" I guess. As if an attitude of entitlement had even carried over to the family members. Didn't think much of it at the time but in hindsight I think it's kind of interesting.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 04:21 PM
You read too much into what TL's sister said. My sisters both think I'm great at all kinds of things and aren't afraid to say so (and I don't want to break it to them that, well...).

Sooner98
12/14/2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.theheadrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/animal-house-remain_calm1.jpg

batonrougesooner
12/14/2011, 04:26 PM
She was an adult. Not a teenager. Hard to explain but it was just odd the way it was said...

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 04:28 PM
She was an adult. Not a teenager. Hard to explain but it was just odd the way it was said...

My sisters are middle-aged and still haven't figured me out :)

oumartin
12/14/2011, 04:30 PM
She's proud of Travis. No problem with that..

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 04:30 PM
So I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago. I was after the Tech loss. I was at a theater near the Riverwalk (in the little Mall they have there if you are familiar). Anyway, I presented my debit card to the lady at the counter to pay for my tickets. Since I'm from Oklahoma my bank is predictably one with Oklahoma in the name. The lady asks me if I'm an OU fan. I tell her that I am. She then tells me "Well, Travis Lewis is my brother and he's the leader of the OU defense". My first thought was "Well, that's nice but why is she telling me this?". I looked at her and smiled and said to her "Well, if he's the leader of the OU defense, you should tell him he needs to lead." I'd had a couple of drinks... :)

Guess you kind of had to be there but the way she pronounced to me who her brother was and the way she said it just struck me as odd. Kind of "Primadonnaish" I guess. As if an attitude of entitlement had even carried over to the family members. Didn't think much of it at the time but in hindsight I think it's kind of interesting.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/boom+headshot_547be6_172331.jpg

SoonerLaw09
12/14/2011, 04:42 PM
My sisters are middle-aged and still haven't figured me out :)

My sister is middle aged and speaks to me only when forced to. So, I think the lesson here is that sibling opinion often is 180 degrees from the truth.

SoonerLaw09
12/14/2011, 04:44 PM
I'm also hearing Drew Allen.

That's not surprising, tho, considering all the pt Blake Bell has gotten this year. He's the presumptive starter once Landry leaves. Hope he can learn to throw. OTOH, that never stopped Tebow, and he won 2 MNCs. So...

oumartin
12/14/2011, 04:48 PM
Drew Allen isn't transferring but pretty bummed over the playing situation..

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=jkjsooner;3425196]Have fun. Don't let the doorknob hit him in the butt. I don't think I've ever seen a kid leave a program like OU and succeed elsewhere. Maybe he'll find out that he wasn't all he thought he was.

Troy Aikman turned out pretty decent....

Yes, Mr. Redundant, I believe we've already discussed Troy Aikman. Do you want to discuss Tashard Choice as well since, Mr Redundant?

Troy Aikman didn't leave because the coaches were being mean to him. He left after we changed offensive philosophies and the coaches got him in touch with the UCLA staff. (At least that's how Switzer presented it.)

Anyway, I didn't adequately clarify my statement. I was referring to the kids who have left because they either didn't like the coaches (might apply a little to Aikman but not the primary reason) or they were not getting the playing time (not exactly the Aikman scenario because we were changing offensive philosophies).

The track record of guys leaving because they thought they were all world and/or they didn't like the coaches is not very good. Most find out that there's a reason they weren't getting the playing time or there's a reason the coaches were on them.

soonerhubs
12/14/2011, 04:54 PM
Yes, Mr. Redundant, I believe we've already discussed Troy Aikman. Do you want to discuss Tashard Choice as well since, Mr Redundant?

Troy Aikman didn't leave because the coaches were being mean to him. He left after we changed offensive philosophies and the coaches got him in touch with the UCLA staff. (At least that's how Switzer presented it.)

Anyway, I didn't adequately clarify my statement. I was referring to the kids who have left because they either didn't like the coaches (might apply a little to Aikman but not the primary reason) or they were not getting the playing time (not exactly the Aikman scenario because we were changing offensive philosophies).

The track record of guys leaving because they thought they were all world and/or they didn't like the coaches is not very good. Most find out that there's a reason they weren't getting the playing time or there's a reason the coaches were on them.

Troy Aikman and Tashard Choice as well as Tashard Choice and Troy Aikman.

There was also that guy from Henryetta that played for the Hens. ;) <--That's a wink, although the new one barely indicates it as such. :D

IBleedCrimson
12/14/2011, 05:01 PM
We almost need a players transferring thread, like the coaching changes thread.

Seriously :/

SoonerMom2
12/14/2011, 05:07 PM
Better to start a rumor thread based on someone who knows someone who heard it from someone! Then we would have a thread with the facts (sarcasm).

sooner_born_1960
12/14/2011, 05:11 PM
Bob, I've got about a half-semester of eligibility left. Call me.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 05:14 PM
Bob, I've got about a half-semester of eligibility left. Call me.

tell him you can kick it straight and he'll give you a scholly!

sooneredaco
12/14/2011, 05:21 PM

I have 5 sisters. They all love little bro. There are a lot of people hay would no doubt disagree with their perception of me, however they have a pride in their relationship with me. Travis has a lot to be proud of. He's starting LB at The University of Oklahoma, and has had some special moments here. Perhaps not his best year, but what he's given to this team is noteworthy. I guess what I'm sayin here is, that no doubt the beers must have had something to do with the sh!tty response you gave to her. But hey to each his own.

IBleedCrimson
12/14/2011, 05:32 PM
What is the sister supposed to say?

My brother is TL, but he is a loud mouth who doesn't play hard. A lot of people think he's the defenses vocal leader, including every announcer whos called an OU game, but he's really a paper tiger and an embarrassment to the family. Here is your change.

She probably doesn't know too much about football, but does love her brother. How unreasonable.

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2011, 05:37 PM
That's not surprising, tho, considering all the pt Blake Bell has gotten this year. He's the presumptive starter once Landry leaves. Hope he can learn to throw. OTOH, that never stopped Tebow, and he won 2 MNCs. So...
In his 2 seasons as the starter, Tebow finished #2 & #4 in the nation in passing efficiency (Bradford was #1 both years). Tell me the new guy gets close to that & I'll be very happy with it.

StoopTroup
12/14/2011, 05:59 PM
The Family of our players are in a unique position. When their kid is a hero....they reap the benefits of being related to him. When he blows up...they unfortunately get to see the ugly side of OU and it's fan base.

This year is a perfect example of why you might just see an exodus of players. Some might say, don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out the door and others might be concerned that it could put off another MNC for 5-10 years. This is where you have to really have blind trust in the Coaches as they will need to replace a lot of guys and the guys who are left might feel that they should see significant PT for sticking with the current Staff and believing that it can be done next year.

Me? I'm going to always stick with Bob as I like what he did in 2000. People still have mixed theories about how that happened but IMO....it was all the situation as well as the Coaching Staff than pulled that off. It has to be just that as we went on to 3 more tries at the MNC after 2000. It's just that simple too.

This next year might not be the one that gets us back into the hunt.....but I think maybe a bit of a clearing out of some guys and the attitudes that have developed will be just the thing we need to put some perspective in place and to see things turn much more serious than they have been the last 3-5 years. If you want to be a legendary Coaching Staff at OU....it's gonna take more than 1 MNC and 3 close calls. It's gonna take a couple more MNCs to prove you are indeed a legend in Norman. I've always thought Bob was the guy and I think he's just seeing a bit of a down turn and that he will get things turned around.

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2011, 06:00 PM
Glyn Milburn was another OU transfer that had a pretty good career after leaving

SoonerLaw09
12/14/2011, 06:01 PM
In his 2 seasons as the starter, Tebow finished #2 & #4 in the nation in passing efficiency (Bradford was #1 both years). Tell me the new guy gets close to that & I'll be very happy with it.

Passing efficiency, maybe, but how many did he throw and in what situations? One of the things that Urban Meyer did was figure out how best to play to Tebow's strengths and not ask him to do things he wasn't capable of doing.

soonervegas
12/14/2011, 06:22 PM
If you want to be a legendary Coaching Staff at OU....it's gonna take more than 1 MNC and 3 close calls. It's gonna take a couple more MNCs to prove you are indeed a legend in Norman.

Ok, who hacked ST's account? :)

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2011, 07:41 PM
Passing efficiency, maybe, but how many did he throw and in what situations? One of the things that Urban Meyer did was figure out how best to play to Tebow's strengths and not ask him to do things he wasn't capable of doing.
2007: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org

2008: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Augusta_Sooner
12/14/2011, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=Augusta_Sooner;3425483]

Perhaps you could better articulate your statement once you have mastered the English language.

Or, don't make dumbazz comments without knowing what you're talking about....just sayin'

SoonerorLater
12/14/2011, 08:50 PM

But Beeler was a 4.0 student. I know it seems odd in this day and time but he was actually concerned about his education. Stanford was a good choice for him. His transfer didn't have much to do with the coaching.

jkjsooner
12/15/2011, 12:28 AM
Glyn Milburn was another OU transfer that had a pretty good career after leaving

Transferred for academic reasons not because of PT or the coaches were mean or whatever.

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking of Beeler. I know there was one who was an engineering major and wanted to pursue that field at Stanford - although I think the guy actually changed his major while at Stanford.

Anyway, sorry, i was wrong. We've had a few who have had decent success after leaving OU but almost all of them had abnormal circumstances.

Anyway, my point was that a lot of these guys aren't as big of a loss as it first seems. How many guys have we lost where you look back and think that loss was very damaging to our program? I actually think we might have fared better against Miami with Aikman in 1986-1987 but that's not the convential thinking.

It would have been nice to have kept Dupree but realistically he wasn't going to turn into an extremely motivated hard working player if he had stayed. Plus, he could have easily become a cancer and very well may have changed the 1985 season for the worse.

jkjsooner
12/15/2011, 12:56 AM
Perhaps you could better articulate your statement once you have mastered the English language.

WTF are you talking about? Please tell me.

Are you talking about my statement that I failed to fully qualify? Sorry, man. It happens. I didn't need 10 people jumping in with the same set of names. I recognize that you may have not read the entire thread but from my perspective after hearing about Troy Aikman for the third time I'd had enough.

Maybe you're just ticked because I didn't show the father the respect some feel he deserves. As far as I'm concerned, if he's going to come on here and hint about unethical behavior and make statements that could be damaging to the program, he either needs to share at least some details or keep it off the board.

Unless he can stand up and justify his statements those statements are simply unfair to our coaching staff and program.

If his son wants to leave then fine. Good luck to him. His dad should let his son leave with some dignity. If there are serious ethical issues then bring those issue to light. If a message board isn't the forum to do so then it isn't the forum to make vague statements. His post appears to be either sour grapes or an attempt to discredit the program.

If you say that "some of the coaches aren't who you think they are" I'm going to assume you're someone who holds a grudge unless you're man enough to stand up and defend that statement.

Ton Loc
12/15/2011, 09:19 AM
WTF are people bringing up Troy Aikman? I don't seem to remember him playing for Bob.

SoonerLaw09
12/15/2011, 11:30 AM
2007: http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org

2008: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

None of those stats answered my question. Was Tebow throwing downfield like Sam? Or was he dinking a 2-yarder to Percy Harvin who then ran for 50? All I'm saying is stats don't tell the story.

RacerX
12/15/2011, 05:18 PM

Transferred for academic reasons not because of PT or the coaches were mean or whatever.

That academic reason being that he went to Stanford.

Salt City Sooner
12/15/2011, 05:20 PM
None of those stats answered my question. Was Tebow throwing downfield like Sam? Or was he dinking a 2-yarder to Percy Harvin who then ran for 50? All I'm saying is stats don't tell the story.
I just posted the links for you to look at, that's all. Feel free to draw your own conclusions, & yes, stats sometimes don't tell the whole story. Over the course of an entire year (or 2 in this case) though, they tend to give a pretty decent assessment of an overall situation though. I know that when I watched UF back when he was there, for most every shovel pass to Hernandez that I saw, I also saw a deep one to Murphy, or to a lesser extent, Riley Cooper. I got tired of Tebow-mania (not him, but the media overkill) just as much as everybody else, but there's no denying that the guy was a fabulous player in both aspects when he was at UF.

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2011, 05:30 PM
I just posted the links for you to look at, that's all. Feel free to draw your own conclusions, & yes, stats sometimes don't tell the whole story. Over the course of an entire year (or 2 in this case) though, they tend to give a pretty decent assessment of an overall situation though. I know that when I watched UF back when he was there, for most every shovel pass to Hernandez that I saw, I also saw a deep one to Murphy, or to a lesser extent, Riley Cooper. I got tired of Tebow-mania (not him, but the media overkill) just as much as everybody else, but there's no denying that the guy was a fabulous player in both aspects when he was at UF.

Tebow was a pretty accurate passer given time or running to his left. As good as the UF running game was, he usually had plenty of time to pass so his slow mechanics did not cause a problem. And what a supporting cast he had! Harvin, Hernandez, Murphy and Cooper. Outside of Gresham, his receivers topped the ones we had for Sam.

En_Fuego
12/15/2011, 05:48 PM

NormanPride
12/15/2011, 06:01 PM

Wrong thread.

jkjsooner
12/15/2011, 06:15 PM
That academic reason being that he went to Stanford.

Yes, that's what I meant. I wasn't implying negative academic reasons.

I Am Right
12/15/2011, 06:24 PM
Another?

Fraggle145
12/15/2011, 07:44 PM
Apparently Haynes may not have requested a transfer, but may still have left the team: http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/12/13/2634101/ou-football-let-the-attrition-begin-two-transfers-confirmed

UPDATE: We have been contacted by someone who claims to be the mother of James Haynes and she has shared with us that James did not request a transfer. I'm not sure if that was implied in the original story we posted below, but if it was that was entirely unintentional. Out of respect for this person who contacted us and their son, we just wanted to make this fact perfectly clear.

Spray
12/15/2011, 08:32 PM
So, does this all mean Bob can oversign this year?

Gotta keep up with the Sabans.

OKC-SLC
12/15/2011, 08:40 PM
Ahmed Kabba was a transfer that always stuck out in my mind. A wide receiver leaving before a Mike Leach offense shows up probably wasn't a wise decision in hindsight.

Thank God we found someone who could catch 9 passes for us that next year.

Spray
12/15/2011, 08:48 PM
Thank God we found someone who could catch 9 passes for us that next year.

You actually bring up a seperate great point unintentionally.

We seem to have a lot of folks all asshurt that Stoops is a dick to the media. Bob has been a dick to the media since Day 1 illustrated by the reference above. We knew exactly what were getting. That's what is refreshing about the man- he is what he is.

Of course, he needs to be willing to flexiate (I totally just made up a new word- AWESOME) in other areas, i.e. coaches.

And I think it is totally obvious now why Heupel didn't win the Heisman.

cccasooner2
12/15/2011, 09:18 PM
Apparently Haynes may not have requested a transfer, but may still have left the team: http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/12/13/2634101/ou-football-let-the-attrition-begin-two-transfers-confirmed

From that article. "Aladenoye was a guy the coaches were high on as an offensive tackle at one point, but then got moved to DT and never really made an impact. I'd venture to guess that he was disappointed with the move given the issues OU had all year at right tackle."

I thought he was the one that requested an opportunity at DT and did not get moved by the coaches as implied. I think he was only used as a part of the FG unit. Also, what were the issues at RT?

mainline13
12/16/2011, 09:15 AM
My sister is middle aged and speaks to me only when forced to. So, I think the lesson here is that sibling opinion often is 180 degrees from the truth.

I'm downright decrepit, and I won't talk to you at all.

Oh. Wait.

Ah, crap!

SoonerTerry
12/16/2011, 09:38 AM
And I think it is totally obvious now why Heupel didn't win the Heisman.

WTF?

OkieThunderLion
12/16/2011, 12:32 PM

Has Akim Millington been mentioned?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2011, 03:53 PM
Has Akim Millington been mentioned?

As what, successful or not successful?

He appears to be in OKC as a job recruiter now, waived by the Saints...Info here... (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/akim-millington/36/682/b9)

Man, he is flogging that 3 months on the roster... (though to be fair, that is 3 months more than me...;) )

Big D Sooner
12/18/2011, 10:08 PM
Is Max Stevenson transferring, quitting football, not going anywhere...? I hear rumors but nothing sounds particularly credible. I would not understand transferring at all, but what do I know.

Fraggle145
12/20/2011, 09:42 AM
Well there goes 2-3 more... McCay, Peterson, and what's his name...

Fraggle145
12/20/2011, 09:44 AM
One thing that might be part of this is that this is the year before the multi-year schollies can start. I know a similar hemorrhaging is going on at UT, is it happening anywhere else? Maybe this a trimming of the fat before we get locked in?

SoonerorLater
12/20/2011, 09:47 AM
I think at this point we can officially call this an Exodus. I'm not sure if this is a house-cleaning implemented by Stoops or not but we are cleaning out some lockers.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/20/2011, 10:32 AM
One thing that might be part of this is that this is the year before the multi-year schollies can start. I know a similar hemorrhaging is going on at UT, is it happening anywhere else? Maybe this a trimming of the fat before we get locked in?

Why would being able to grant multi-year schollies have anything to do with the turn over?

SoonerAtKU
12/20/2011, 10:45 AM

I don't think it's retroactive, is it? And isn't it at the school's discretion as to whether to offer?

NormanPride
12/20/2011, 10:54 AM
I think at this point we can officially call this an Exodus. I'm not sure if this is a house-cleaning implemented by Stoops or not but we are cleaning out some lockers.

Yeah, it's going to be tough to gauge how good or bad this is until we see the product next year. If we suck, then this was the wheels coming off. If the kids play hard and get better, then this was the coaches trimming the fat.

Fraggle145
12/20/2011, 12:42 PM
Why would being able to grant multi-year schollies have anything to do with the turn over?

I'm sure some of the guys on the team will want a multi year guarantee. Also if we get rid of guys we have more multi-year schollies to potentially offer?

I dunno just trying to think outside the box.

PalmBeachSooner
12/20/2011, 02:52 PM

I'm not scared to say this sounds like Travis Lewis. He was way too inconsistent to be ragging on other players for their let downs. I wish him success at the next level but I won't miss him at OU.

PalmBeachSooner
12/20/2011, 03:15 PM
I'm sure some of the guys on the team will want a multi year guarantee. Also if we get rid of guys we have more multi-year schollies to potentially offer?

I dunno just trying to think outside the box.

If the player accepts a multi-year scholarship can he still transfer during that period? It doesn't sound like this would affect the OU program as much as it would Alabama's. OU seems to honor scholarships even if a player isn't likely to see the field. From what I have read Saban will pull a scholarship if it's in his best interest.

goingoneight
12/20/2011, 03:21 PM
I don't think scholarship rules are doing this. It's far too many now.

Calhoun and Miller weren't going to be stars here. Whether injury or talent was why is irrelevant. They saw themselves being phased out.

Williams, Haywood and Stevenson, Tapko, Aladanoye, Haynes, Trice and whoever else by now are questionable.

Jacie
1/4/2012, 07:56 PM
Is this another exodus or just a player leaving a program? I have such a difficult time distinguishing between the two . . .

Iowa RB McCall leaves program

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP)—Iowa freshman running back Mika’il McCall is leaving the program.

Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz said Wednesday that McCall intends to transfer.

The 18-year-old McCall had a promising debut, rushing for 61 yards in the season opener before breaking his ankle. He returned in late November, but had just 4 yards rushing in a win over Purdue.

McCall, from Dolton, Ill., was suspended for the final two games because of an undisclosed violation

cvsooner
1/4/2012, 08:10 PM
Sounds to me like it was a violation that he would have to work his way back into Ferentz' good graces, and doesn't want to put out the effort. But that's strictly speculation on my part. Ferentz might have also told him to transfer because he's going to be suspended for a long time. Who knows? People do have a right to some privacy in their private lives. Especially and 18 year old in college.

Jacie
1/4/2012, 08:14 PM
Also, if a player (such as Landry Jones) who is a lock to be a first-round draft pick chooses to come back to complete his eligibilty, shouldn't that count on the other side of the exodus leger, cancelling one out?

IBleedCrimson
1/4/2012, 08:50 PM
Also, if a player (such as Landry Jones) who is a lock to be a first-round draft pick chooses to come back to complete his eligibilty, shouldn't that count on the other side of the exodus leger, cancelling one out?

Nope. The sky is falling. DEAL WITH IT