PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Williams

Boomer.....
12/13/2011, 03:20 PM
There is a lot of talk happening in the last two days about him possibly transferring.

THAT WOULD SUCK!

Mad Dog Madsen
12/13/2011, 03:25 PM
Well, there's a site out there that's 10x better than this one that said it's just a rumor.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 03:27 PM
Where there's smoke there is fire.. I wouldn't blame him in this pass first, pass second, pass third offense

Boomer.....
12/13/2011, 03:29 PM
Well, there's a site out there that's 10x better than this one that said it's just a rumor.

I've seen it a few places. Yesterday it got shot down, but it started back up again today.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 03:29 PM
well so long as we can keep Venables..

Mad Dog Madsen
12/13/2011, 03:31 PM
I've seen it a few places. Yesterday it got shot down, but it started back up again today.

Damn! Let me see what oudavid has to say about this...

Boomer.....
12/13/2011, 03:39 PM
TO THE TWITTER!

badger
12/13/2011, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't be the first back to transfer this season if true :(

Boomer.....
12/13/2011, 04:12 PM
Wouldn't be the first back to transfer this season if true :(

The 3rd. :(

So much for a stable of running backs.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/13/2011, 04:14 PM
I wish Landry would transfer.

NormanPride
12/13/2011, 04:16 PM
Why the heck would he transfer? He looks to get significant minutes next year. Whaley is back, but Finch is small and will be used in the passing game more.

Boomer.....
12/13/2011, 04:21 PM
All speculation, but I've read playing time, a dysfunctional locker room, and family issues. Someone said he might have a kid in another state.

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 04:28 PM
dysfunctional locker room

lol

Boomer.....
12/13/2011, 04:30 PM
Sadly it wouldn't surprise me.

NormanPride
12/13/2011, 04:31 PM
Dysfunctional locker room I would believe. I don't think we have a soul on that team that can unify the troops.

Coach needs to step in and send some bad apples packing.

LVSOONER15
12/13/2011, 04:34 PM
That would suck if her were to go. A little more added weight and he is a bruising back.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 05:04 PM
Dysfunctional locker room I would believe. I don't think we have a soul on that team that can unify the troops.

Coach needs to step in and send some bad apples packing.

he'd have to send a coach packing too.

KantoSooner
12/13/2011, 05:19 PM
NP, who do you see as the bad apples?

SoonernAR
12/13/2011, 05:21 PM
I wasn't that impressed with his running anyhow, so no biggie.

SoonerNutt
12/13/2011, 05:21 PM
He needs to worry about learning to take care of the football rather than who is on the depth chart above him. Every time he is given a chance to shine, he proves himself to be careless with the ball. If he never grows out of that, we'd be better off without him.

CowboyMRW
12/13/2011, 05:23 PM
Texags was saying that he was going to come to AnM

TanTanFeil
12/13/2011, 05:42 PM
Where there's smoke there is fire.. I wouldn't blame him in this pass first, pass second, pass third offense

I second that

TanTanFeil
12/13/2011, 05:44 PM
I wasn't that impressed with his running anyhow, so no biggie.

Well he's young now. Once he gets older he will turn into a much need RB. He has some explosiveness

Fraggle145
12/13/2011, 05:46 PM
Well he's young now. Once he gets older he will turn into a much need RB. He has some explosiveness

I'd like to get a RB that has more than "some" explosiveness...

delhalew
12/13/2011, 05:48 PM
Transfer is weak. Become the beast that gets the starts. If the locker room is ****ed, get together with the guys who have a head on their shoulders, and fix the attitude. You have all the advantages you need at Oklahoma. Do something.

oumartin
12/13/2011, 06:07 PM
hard to fix a locker room that has a coach that is causing turmoil

Breadburner
12/13/2011, 06:08 PM
All the attitude and none of the sucess...GTFO if you dont like it here....

Blue
12/13/2011, 06:12 PM
The more i read about this team, the more confidence i lose in the coaching staff.

Expectations next year for me will be the lowest since 99'.

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 06:12 PM
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS....because the person I would ask is not in Norman for awhile.

SoonerLaw09
12/13/2011, 06:14 PM
The more i read about this team, the more confidence i lose in the coaching staff.

Expectations next year for me will be the lowest since 99'.

^^^^this...except I think the blame lies as much on the players, or certain ones of them, as with the staff.

picasso
12/13/2011, 06:50 PM
Transfer is weak. Become the beast that gets the starts. If the locker room is ****ed, get together with the guys who have a head on their shoulders, and fix the attitude. You have all the advantages you need at Oklahoma. Do something.
Yep, we had a RB leave this year who wold have gotten some PT after Whaley went down. Same with Grady when Bradford went down.
The grass isn't always greener at the other school! Unless it's at UT, they have some good grass.

OUstud
12/13/2011, 06:55 PM
Texags was saying that he was going to come to AnM

In their eyes, everyone wants to go to A&M. :texan:

cleller
12/13/2011, 06:58 PM
How did things sink to this?

Rocko
12/13/2011, 06:59 PM
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS....because the person I would ask is not in Norman for awhile.

Why are you such an attention whore?

mojorisen2014
12/13/2011, 07:06 PM
Why the heck would he transfer? He looks to get significant minutes next year. Whaley is back, but Finch is small and will be used in the passing game more.

Since williams likes to fumble alot alex ross may get ahead of him on the depth chart

toast
12/13/2011, 08:45 PM
Under Stoops' tenure what transfers have had measurable success at another BCS school? I'm thinking of Tashard Choice, Beeler @ Stanford, and I guess you could throw in Keith Nichol at MSU. Can't come up with any others right now, but there may be some out there. Not trying to be a smart *** and say these players can't do well, it just seems the odds are stacked against you when you transfer.

OUbasketball4life
12/13/2011, 08:55 PM
"The grass is not always greenier on the other side." I understand when athletes transfer for family reasons such as Calvin Newell (OU basketball player this year), but when athletes transfer due to playing time??? Why not work your tail off in the off season and prove to coaches that you can be trusted? I see this a lot with big time recruits looking for a sense of entitlement. Broyles could have transferred after being suspended his freshman year (Thank goodness he didn't), but no he worked hard and look at the career he had. Oh well, I hope Williams doesn't transfer due to playing time, but if he does the program will still go on.

CowboyMRW
12/13/2011, 09:00 PM
In their eyes, everyone wants to go to A&M. :texan:

Haha, So true

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 09:14 PM
If Brandon Williams does leave, it may not be all bad. This weekend with all the recruits set to be in Norman, we may have a great weekend.

Seamus
12/13/2011, 09:24 PM

Daddy didn't give affection, and the boy was something mommy wouldn't wear.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/13/2011, 09:25 PM
I didn't see anything with this kid that made my jaw drop. He had a few 10~15 yard runs thru gaping holes, but nothing that told me all his hype was warranted. I hope he does stay and does turn out to be what you expect of a 5 star recruit, but I'm not reaching for the crying towel if he leaves.

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 01:37 AM

Daddy didn't give affection, and the boy was something mommy wouldn't wear.

No no, this is why....

Damn! Let me see what oudavid has to say about this...

If someone references that idiot oudavid (third person reference) than he will show up and annoy you. If not, I'll just read. I like to read.

ashley
12/14/2011, 08:12 AM
He has loads of ability but fumbled in almost all practices and every game.

Boomer.....
12/14/2011, 08:34 AM
"The grass is not always greenier on the other side." I understand when athletes transfer for family reasons such as Calvin Newell (OU basketball player this year), but when athletes transfer due to playing time??? Why not work your tail off in the off season and prove to coaches that you can be trusted? I see this a lot with big time recruits looking for a sense of entitlement. Broyles could have transferred after being suspended his freshman year (Thank goodness he didn't), but no he worked hard and look at the career he had. Oh well, I hope Williams doesn't transfer due to playing time, but if he does the program will still go on.

Sadly the "family issues" that Newell gave were BS. He said he wanted to get close to his family in Philly, but is transferring to Central Florida. He also took visits to Wake, Maryland and UCLA.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2011/12/oklahoma-guard-calvin-newell-transferring-to-ucf.html

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2011, 08:47 AM
I don't know how much weight to put into the Brandon Williams situation...but this exodus of players as well as the recent events during the season...OU has got some serious evaluations to conduct

It can't ALWAYS be the players fault

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 08:59 AM
Under Stoops' tenure what transfers have had measurable success at another BCS school? I'm thinking of Tashard Choice, Beeler @ Stanford, and I guess you could throw in Keith Nichol at MSU. Can't come up with any others right now, but there may be some out there. Not trying to be a smart *** and say these players can't do well, it just seems the odds are stacked against you when you transfer.

That's what I've been saying. It's not like these guys have found success and glory elsewhere. Most learn that they just weren't what they thought they were.

As for Choice, I don't think anyone can blame him. He was going to sit his career behind the best back that's played in 20 or so years. It was a good move for him.

As for Nichol, it was probably a good move and he's closer to home. I'm sure he's happy with how things turned out but even in his situation he didn't really get what he wanted out of the MSU transfer.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/14/2011, 10:18 AM
If someone references that idiot oudavid (third person reference) than he will show up and annoy you. If not, I'll just read. I like to read.

But David I really like you... You're awesome! I'm not being sarcastic either. You're actually a chill dude in person. PLUS, you had on that really cool UCO sweater the 1st time we met.

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 10:22 AM
I keep hearing about this exodus... but nobody's actually confirmed that anyone other than the two RBs and one TE are leaving. And those guys left before we lost and when everything was fine and dandy.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 10:37 AM
I don't know how much weight to put into the Brandon Williams situation...but this exodus of players as well as the recent events during the season...OU has got some serious evaluations to conduct

It can't ALWAYS be the players fault

Apparently it can, if I read this thread correctly.

mojorisen2014
12/14/2011, 11:52 AM
I keep hearing about this exodus... but nobody's actually confirmed that anyone other than the two RBs and one TE are leaving. And those guys left before we lost and when everything was fine and dandy.

I thought austin haywood is back on the team.

Boomer.....
12/14/2011, 12:03 PM
I think he is trying to get back on the team, but Bob said that he wasn't yet.

Soonerfan88
12/14/2011, 12:07 PM
Brandon Williams definitely leaving - wants to be closer to his daughter.

70sooner
12/14/2011, 12:11 PM

James Haynes and Josh Aladenoye are GONE

from what I heard this morning on the radio, both of these guys lockers have been cleared out, so I'd say they are gone. I'd heard Haywood was back on the team, but won't play until next season.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/14/2011, 12:30 PM

Well - Tweet him/her!!!

Breadburner
12/14/2011, 12:43 PM
Good.... weed out the ones that cant hack it now.....

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 12:47 PM
But David I really like you... You're awesome! I'm not being sarcastic either. You're actually a chill dude in person. PLUS, you had on that really cool UCO sweater the 1st time we met.

Dont tell people that! People may actually think I am normal.

Well - Tweet him/her!!!

lol that person is too old for twitter.

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2011, 12:52 PM
Williams is GONE!!!

Per everyone's favorite James Hale

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 12:53 PM
He made it official today.

I'll put a good link when I find one.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 12:56 PM
Sigh. and I'll add what should be in the FAQ:

"We'll win without him"

"don't let the door hit you in the butt"

"If he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him"

"yada yada yada"

sooneredaco
12/14/2011, 12:58 PM
BOOMER!!!

deweydw
12/14/2011, 12:59 PM
I don't think it's any different than when Nichols went back to MSU. He might get some playing time next year. Maybe not enough to satisfy him.

Curly Bill
12/14/2011, 12:59 PM
I used to say all that good riddance stuff too when someone would leave. Now I think I'll be a little less quick to do that, as I'm not so sure there's not good reasons for these guys to bail... Guess maybe we'll see....

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 01:04 PM
lol

Now we have two scholarship RBs. Will we see Millard at RB? I hope so...

oumartin
12/14/2011, 01:05 PM
Good luck to him.

sooneredaco
12/14/2011, 01:08 PM

Go get a room guys!

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 01:08 PM
lol

OH ME TOO ME TOO!

Widescreen
12/14/2011, 01:11 PM
Unbelievable. I sure hope one of these guys we having coming in next year is ready to go. Finch is great but I don't think he's big enough to ride to a championship. Come on Whaley, get back to 100% soon.

Miller - Gone
Calhoun - Gone
Williams - Gone
Whaley - Out for season (hopefully not longer)
Clay - So far, injured and ineffective
Finch - Good player but not big

I was talking about how we had an embarrassment of riches at RB before the season started. I've never seen anything like this at OU.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 01:15 PM
I used to say all that good riddance stuff too when someone would leave. Now I think I'll be a little less quick to do that, as I'm not so sure there's not good reasons for these guys to bail... Guess maybe we'll see....

Hear hear. Maybe it's just random walk (oops, pun), but half the players at one position? And folks seem to think this is a good thing because now we have more room the next HS phemon to come in. At some point, these HS stars must be molded into productive players or the only thing we will win is paper recruiting wars. As CB said, guess maybe we'll see...

picasso
12/14/2011, 01:17 PM
We're thin a RB so this kid is leaving? There has to be more to it than playing time otherwise it doesn't make him look too bright.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 01:18 PM
I think finch would be a good solid and effective running back.. Didn't he spend much of last fall trying to learn a receiving position? I could be wrong but now maybe he can focus solely on being the feature back that carries the rock 8-10 times per game.

Curly Bill
12/14/2011, 01:19 PM
Hear hear. Maybe it's just random walk (oops, pun), but half the players at one position? And folks seem to think this is a good thing because now we have more room the next HS phemon to come in. At some point, these HS stars must be molded into productive players or the only thing we will win is paper recruiting wars. As CB said, guess maybe we'll see...

OMG! So, you're saying we could be the next texas?!?!

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's any different than when Nichols went back to MSU. He might get some playing time next year. Maybe not enough to satisfy him.

I can think of several reasons it would be different. For starters, teams play multiple RB's so there was no reason to think that Williams would be riding the pine indefinitely. Second, there isn't an established freshman so we would have guys leaving in the next year or two. Third, a RB gets every opportunity to move up on the depth chart. A QB doesn't once one guy is established.

There may be something similar though - that Williams will learn that transferring doesn't exactly guarantee that he will be the best at his position.

NormanPride
12/14/2011, 01:42 PM
I hate to point at Heupel, but he's the big change we had last season. I'm not sure if it's that he's a bad coach or just incompatible or what, but shortly after he moved into the OC role, we lost a bunch of players on offense.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/14/2011, 02:15 PM
Lets narrow this down to specifically running back:

Calhoun -> I'm not even sure what to say here as the kid was never going to get above 5th on a healthy depth chart. Every time I watched this kid run, he ran right into the back of an OL. What you look for out of FR are flashes and I never saw any. We'll see if he does well wherever he transferred but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Miller -> Gundy bungled this one big time. One of the things that you have to be able to do as a college coach is manage expectations. Gundy didn't and Miller reacted accordingly. We as "old fogies" see that Miller overreacted, but that is what 18-22 year old kids do. The kid showed promise and would have been someone who could have stepped in for Whaley and had decent college production (between 4.5 and 5.5 ypc).

Williams -> Here again, the bungling of the Miller situation comes back to bite Gundy in the rear. First, the kid should have NEVER seen the field this year. You correct issues with fumbling and pass blocking before you put them on the field, not while they are out there. There are some exceptions to this if the kid is a perfectionist (which was why Peterson excelled as a freshman). Thus by losing Miller he has to get Williams ready to fill that backup slot only Williams doesn't act like he wants to fill that spot. From sideline views, you could tell he respected Whaley (as he was the first one to congratulate him) but not so with any other running back. Once Whaley went down, you could probably read between the lines that he expected to get Whaley's carries, but instead they got split between him, finch, and clay. Once again, expectations. Second, he is losing a kid with a chance to be a good college back (4.5-5.5 ypc) and more importantly has to bring in 2 running backs this year. We'll see how he does, but it just indicates how fragile being stockpiled at a position is. I have no idea how BJW manages to do it, but he needs to teach some other coaches his techniques (when was the last time we lost a DE?).

Sooner91ATL
12/14/2011, 02:23 PM
DE = lower egos

I wish the young man the best and all that, but no way around it, this hurts a lot and sets us back at the position unless we mine gold in juco route.

Widescreen
12/14/2011, 02:24 PM
My biggest concern is that Whaley may not get back to 100% by next September. We REALLY need that dude to get well.

stoopified
12/14/2011, 02:33 PM
Discruntled players transferring is an old story.Just opens up chances for players and recruits who are not quitters.

Tear Down This Wall
12/14/2011, 02:48 PM
All speculation, but I've read playing time, a dysfunctional locker room, and family issues. Someone said he might have a kid in another state.

Bah...who among us might not have kids in another state?

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2011, 05:50 PM
Well this sucks; how many more will leave before next season?

One4OU
12/14/2011, 06:01 PM
lol

Can one of our kickers play RB...they are on scholly

StoopTroup
12/14/2011, 06:06 PM
My biggest concern is that Whaley may not get back to 100% by next September. We REALLY need that dude to get well.

Agreed. I want this to happen for not only OU but for him. I think he's an outstanding kid. It was heartbreaking to see him get hurt.

StoopTroup
12/14/2011, 06:10 PM
I think finch would be a good solid and effective running back.. Didn't he spend much of last fall trying to learn a receiving position? I could be wrong but now maybe he can focus solely on being the feature back that carries the rock 8-10 times per game.

It's a huge maybe. The guy just isn't big enough. I still love the way Quentin Griffin played but once he got to the NFL it really showed how his size affected his longevity. Finch was like lightning when he first came here. We really saw the max out of him this year IMO. If Bob can get more out of Finch than he got out of him this year....It's only because they limit his snaps. There is no way Roy can endure the number of snaps we saw Murray take.

oumartin
12/14/2011, 06:12 PM
It was a funny!

seeing as OU didn't run the ball much. Finchy could be the feature back cuz OU runs it only 8-10 times a game.

Ha Ha

StoopTroup
12/14/2011, 06:13 PM
Disgruntled players transferring is an old story.Just opens up chances for players and recruits who are not quitters.

I think that's probably gonna be the case too. maybe not this year but the next....we will be a really great Team. There is just no way the number of injuries can continue to increase....at least I hope they don't.

StoopTroup
12/14/2011, 06:14 PM
It was a funny!

seeing as OU didn't run the ball much. Finchy could be the feature back cuz OU runs it only 8-10 times a game.

Ha Ha

Hilarious.

cvsooner
12/14/2011, 06:30 PM
We have some 'fans' I wish would bail.

picasso
12/14/2011, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I don't get the dooshiness around here.

Biggnick15
12/14/2011, 06:57 PM
It was a funny!

Ha Ha

If you have to explain the joke its not funny.

SoonerMom2
12/14/2011, 09:07 PM
We have some 'fans' I wish would bail.

That makes two of us! Must admit all the negativity following the loss to the school up north made my brother and I decide to go to the Insight Bowl to support the Sooners when we originally were not planning to attend this year. I had even cancelled the tickets on Sunday and on Monday morning I submitted my request for tickets.

Sooner Cal
12/14/2011, 09:34 PM
I was never impressed. I think we can find someone who is capable of fumbling 3 times in just a few carries. He had a chance and learned that he's got issues with the ball in games as well as at practive.

I don't think the locker room has anything to do with it. I think he's having a tough time coming to the realization that he's not dominant at the D1 level like he was in high school and that he might never be.

Boomer.....
12/14/2011, 10:34 PM
You guys need to stop being the "he wasn't that good anyways" crowd. The kid was a true freshman and had flashes of being a really good back. We are super thin in the backfield and could definitely use him.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2011, 10:51 PM
You guys need to stop being the "he wasn't that good anyways" crowd. The kid was a true freshman and had flashes of being a really good back. We are super thin in the backfield and could definitely use him.

But it makes 'em feel better.

IBleedCrimson
12/14/2011, 10:53 PM

Ja. Except for his ball security issues, I thought he had serious potential. If we could just fixed the fumbles, he could have been a real asset. Good thing we got enough depth at RB for 2 teams... wait

Neath a Western Sky
12/15/2011, 12:07 AM

Thank you, Curly Bill. Yes. You're a daisy. And you know how I mean that.

SoonerInFortSmith
12/15/2011, 03:56 PM
It was a funny!

Ha Ha

If you have to explain the joke its not funny.

I got it the first time. Wait, does that mean I am equally not funny?

NormanPride
12/15/2011, 04:00 PM
I've heard he hasn't been released yet, are we sure Williams is 100% gone?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 04:02 PM
All I'm hearing is that the coaches are trying to talk him out of it.

Breadburner
12/15/2011, 04:03 PM

Hope he pulls his head out....

rekamrettuB
12/15/2011, 04:05 PM
Ja. Except for his ball security issues, I thought he had serious potential. If we could just fixed the fumbles, he could have been a real asset. Good thing we got enough depth at RB for 2 teams... wait
And this is one thing you CAN teach a running back. You can't teach them speed, quickness, vision. I'm disappointed if he is leaving. I liked what I saw.

NormanPride
12/15/2011, 04:05 PM
Even in a full on spread he has the chance to rack up huge numbers... He just has to work on his route running and pass blocking.

SoonerInFortSmith
12/15/2011, 04:06 PM
If the coaches are asking him to stay then he needs to swallow his pride and do it. It seems to me to be somewhat uncharacteristic of this coaching staff so he should take advantage of the opportunity.

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2011, 05:24 PM

But wait, several posters here are not impressed with Williams - do the coaches know this?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 11:10 PM
What I'm hearing about a lot of stuff is a lot different than what I'm hearing on message boards..I'll let it play itself out though

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2011, 11:16 PM
What I'm hearing about a lot of stuff is a lot different than what I'm hearing on message boards..I'll let it play itself out though

Nobody likes a tease.

:P :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 11:19 PM
PM sent

NormanPride
12/15/2011, 11:34 PM
I'd ask you what is going on, but I'd probably just blab it to people anyway. Best not to trust me unless you want everyone to know.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2011, 11:38 PM
It's really not a big deal, it's just a different perspective than what we've beem ranting about

colleyvillesooner
12/16/2011, 08:29 AM
I'll take that PM.

Curly Bill
12/16/2011, 08:47 AM
I want it too!

picasso
12/16/2011, 09:00 AM
But wait, several posters here are not impressed with Williams - do the coaches know this?
What's your point? A lot of posters on here aren't impressed with our coaches either.

NormanPride
12/16/2011, 09:22 AM
I bet it's that some players were mean to the other ones and didn't let them play parcheesi with them, so they're leaving.

kbsooner21
12/16/2011, 10:04 AM
Why is oumartin still here?

Curly Bill
12/16/2011, 10:17 AM
Why is oumartin still here?

Why are you?

Augusta_Sooner
12/16/2011, 10:55 AM
Not sure why Brandon Williams would want to transfer unless he thinks this offense is not going to give him the best opportunity to develop. The guy has tremendous upside and if Whaley hasn't recovered 100% by fall practice, Williams could start game 1. Once you become the starter, it's usually difficult to lose your job unless you fumble (hopefully he gets this resolved) or can't protect the QB. At worse, he could be the #2 guy (assuming he can hang on to the ball & continue to learn the offense) who still gets plenty of playing time. He's a speedster that could explode in this offense if he's patient enough. Hope he stays.....also hope OU is recruiting other RBs, regardless if Williams stays or not.

Breadburner
12/16/2011, 10:58 AM
He aint going start anywhere if cant hold onto the ****ing football.......

SoonerTerry
12/16/2011, 11:01 AM
Does anyone think there may have been some butthurt over this walk on 2nd string juco kid comeing in any taking (earning) the starting job from all these high star nationaly recruited RB's?

Breadburner
12/16/2011, 11:06 AM
Does anyone think there may have been some butthurt over this walk on 2nd string juco kid comeing in any taking (earning) the starting job from all these high star nationaly recruited RB's?

Yes...Of course there was.....

SoonerNutt
12/16/2011, 11:11 AM

I think that potentially has something to it. It's a tough thing for these kids to admit. They were out-classed by an unrecruited walk-on.

Ultimately though, it's probably more about playing time. Whaley looked really good, and the others realize that he is going to be the #1 as long as he is healthy. We had guys transfer when AD showed how good he was too, and he certainly was no walk-on. Guys just though they could come in here and compete with him, and then realized they weren't at his level. I think it's a similar thing with Whaley, though it came as more of a surprise to everybody.

The point is, Whaley is the real mcCoy, regardless of what his HS recuiting status was. He is a superstar, and will probably go on to be the same at the next level. He is so good that all of the other RBs on the team realize they have little chance of taking away his starting spot, and that is the real story, IMO.

kbsooner21
12/16/2011, 11:19 AM
Why are you?

Because I actually like the football program and the university. If I hated it as much as you guys, I'd find something better to spend my time on.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 11:41 AM
Because I actually like the football program and the university. If I hated it as much as you guys, I'd find something better to spend my time on.

You making assumptions that we don't = DUMB

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 11:43 AM
The point is, Whaley is the real mcCoy, regardless of what his HS recuiting status was. He is a superstar, and will probably go on to be the same at the next level. He is so good that all of the other RBs on the team realize they have little chance of taking away his starting spot, and that is the real story, IMO.

The flaw in your logic is that all reports say that Williams really looked up to Whaley. Also, there are lots of touches outside the #1 guy at OU and this all happened after Whaley was lost for the season after only 6 games. RB is a positions that you can almost count on missed playing time due to injury.

kbsooner21
12/16/2011, 11:43 AM
You making assumptions that we don't = DUMB

You fool quite a few of us that read your posts.

oumartin
12/16/2011, 11:44 AM
well then you don't read many of them.

Boomer.....
12/16/2011, 12:16 PM
Martin is really a closet aggy fan.

soonerinbixby
12/16/2011, 12:19 PM
Whaley is a superstar? That is news to me. He is a really nice back but he little to no chance of playing on Sundays. Would you put him in the same category as a Peterson? I love Whaley too death but he is just a really nice player we have at OU.

OkieThunderLion
12/16/2011, 12:22 PM
Whaley is a superstar? That is news to me. He is a really nice back but he little to no chance of playing on Sundays. Would you put him in the same category as a Peterson? I love Whaley too death but he is just a really nice player we have at OU.
That doesn't sound accurate.

If he returns healthy, and the earlier reported measurables are accurate (tests great), he will be a solid pro prospect.

SoonerTerry
12/16/2011, 12:35 PM
I think that potentially has something to it. It's a tough thing for these kids to admit. They were out-classed by an unrecruited walk-on.

Ultimately though, it's probably more about playing time. Whaley looked really good, and the others realize that he is going to be the #1 as long as he is healthy. We had guys transfer when AD showed how good he was too, and he certainly was no walk-on. Guys just though they could come in here and compete with him, and then realized they weren't at his level. I think it's a similar thing with Whaley, though it came as more of a surprise to everybody.

I think you are right on the button here. But make no mistake this is just my wild *** conjecture, I have no sources, just 40+ years of living with people.
I have been in a position similar to Whaley's (not football, just the tech field I'm in) and have seen a very talented guy leave when he realized that he was not going to be the "Base Ace".

Boomer.....
12/16/2011, 12:36 PM
I just saw someone post this tweet thingy:

@Recruitocosm
Recruitocosm
Just got word from my Brandon Williams source that the talented RB will be going to TAMU. Congrats ags. Great kid and player!

Who knows how much weight it has.

SoonerNutt
12/16/2011, 12:37 PM

I won't back down from that statement. I didn't say he was Peterson, just that he will be a star at the next level. The only thing that would prevent it is injury. He has an awesome skillset, and will blow people away at the combines next year. People need to get over the fact that he slipped though the cracks in HS recruiting. You can see with your eyes that he is the real deal.

OUbasketball4life
12/16/2011, 12:42 PM
Just curious, but if a player has not been released by their current school, could atm be in trouble for recruiting the player or talking to him before he has been released?

Curly Bill
12/16/2011, 12:42 PM

But then you're making assumptions that you're not qualified for, nor are you qualified to be the internet police and decide who should or should not be here...though there seems to be several of you trying to assume that role here lately.

BillyBall
12/16/2011, 12:45 PM
Just curious, but if a player has not been released by their current school, could atm be in trouble for recruiting the player or talking to him before he has been released?

The answer would be "yes"

kbsooner21
12/16/2011, 12:47 PM
But then you're making assumptions that you're not qualified for, nor are you qualified to be the internet police and decide who should or should not be here...though there seems to be several of you trying to assume that role here lately.

Thanks

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2011, 02:34 PM

I see no basis for that statement. Whaley showed he was pretty refined in both the run and pass game and he has plenty of size and speed to play pro ball. There are many backs in the NFL that are not in the same category as Peterson (like almost all of them). I'm not saying Whaley is a lock to play in the NFL, but he showed plenty of ability.

picasso
12/16/2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think anyone is comparing him to a frosh who nearly won the Heisman. He was our best back this season.

LostCreekSooner
12/16/2011, 10:14 PM

Are we talking about the same kid that started for OU the first part of the year, prior to breaking his leg?

AlboSooner
12/16/2011, 11:48 PM
Shut the whole thing down, and let's become an academic blue blood. Academics actually matter.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/17/2011, 01:42 AM

Heh, given your username I'd think you'd remember that that was what 20% of Kelvin's impermissable phone calls were about...

jkjsooner
12/17/2011, 03:44 PM
I just saw someone post this tweet thingy:

Who knows how much weight it has.

I hope this isn't a sign that recruits are now looking harder at A&M so they can play in the SEC. I know many have dismissed the impact that this will have but I'm won't dismiss the possibility that the move to the SEC won't help UT at our expense..

8timechamps
12/17/2011, 04:06 PM
I hope this isn't a sign that recruits are now looking harder at A&M so they can play in the SEC. I know many have dismissed the impact that this will have but I'm won't dismiss the possibility that the move to the SEC won't help UT at our expense..

I don't think it's a sign. If true, it just tells me that a kid that couldn't crack the starting rotation at OU wants to go somewhere else that may provide him the chance to get more playing time.

I liked what I saw of BW, but the fact that he could not secure the ball worried me. Had he taken care of the ball, I think he would have found ample playing time at OU.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/17/2011, 05:24 PM

I'd put him in the same category as Demarco Murray, he plays on Sundays.

Boomer.....
12/19/2011, 09:06 AM
Oklahoma RB Brandon Williams transferring to A&M (http://www.aggiesports.com/football/Oklahoma-RB-Brandon-Williams-transferring-to-A-amp-amp-M--6851222)

En_Fuego
12/19/2011, 09:13 AM
I'd put him in the same category as Demarco Murray, he plays on Sundays.

I put him in the same category as Sirr Parker

Oklahoma RB Brandon Williams transferring to A&M

possumfat
12/19/2011, 09:23 AM
WTF is going on in Norman!

sooneron
12/19/2011, 09:59 AM
Exactly what is he claiming as a hardship? Skillet hands? Good luck kid, but you fumble way too ****ing much.

http://wordforge.net/images/smilies/CurlyBill.jpg

champions77
12/19/2011, 10:10 AM
Oklahoma RB Brandon Williams transferring to A&M (http://www.aggiesports.com/football/Oklahoma-RB-Brandon-Williams-transferring-to-A-amp-amp-M--6851222)

This is a crying shame. I heard from a very good source that he got hurt angainst osu, he told they coaches he was hurt, they sent him back out anyway and he got hurt worse. He feels that his best interests are not being served at OU. A place where they don't care about the well being of their players. I am sure there is another side of this story, but that's his.

rdusooner
12/19/2011, 10:19 AM
Well, I for one hope he doesn't succeed at A&M, but that's probably just me being bitter

SoonerNutt
12/19/2011, 10:37 AM
Well, I for one hope he doesn't succeed at A&M, but that's probably just me being bitter

Hard to blame you. Of course, with me, there are Sooners, and everybody else. The latter group, I don't really pay too much attention to, so it will be easy to forget about BW, especially since he has contribution next to nothing in his time as a Sooner.

PLaw
12/19/2011, 10:38 AM
I see Dom Whaley and I'm reminded of Allen Patrick and Chris Brown. Solid players, but will have a tough time making a NFL roster.

With respect to BW - I can see Bob giving him a release to TAMU considering that Sumlin in there and they have high-tailed it out of the conference. Best wishes.

RB recruiting should become real interesting. Not sure what is left out there to be had, but Cale better get busy. Any chances Miller comes back?

Johnson, Calhoun, Miller, Williams

BOOMER

colleyvillesooner
12/19/2011, 10:46 AM

So he didn't want to be close to his family when he made the commitment to OU over Baylor 20 months ago?

freshchris05
12/19/2011, 10:58 AM
He must really like border collies and homos...

Don't fumble the soap in the locker room..

dwarthog
12/19/2011, 11:39 AM
Hate to see the kid go, but if he wants to be closer to home, good luck to him.

Jacie
12/19/2011, 01:40 PM
Over in aggieland they are seeing stars as in Brandon William's pre-signing rating. No one that I can see bothered to look into why he failed to crack the starting lineup though at least one noticed his lack of passes caught statistic . . .

soonerlaw
12/19/2011, 02:09 PM
Those comments on the Aggie board are funny, especially this one on why BW transferred:

"SEC affiliation is paying off, just as we said it would in years to come."

birddog
12/19/2011, 09:55 PM
ags succeed in sec? not in a 3 yr olds lifetime.

picasso
12/20/2011, 12:28 AM
Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/20/2011, 10:34 AM
ags succeed in sec? not in 3 lifetimes.

FIFY ;)

ashley
12/20/2011, 09:17 PM
He is leaving because he could not hold the ball in every schrimmage and game. You cannot play a fumbler. Plus, he wants to be closer to his kids.

Tear Down This Wall
12/22/2011, 04:14 PM
I want to be closer to my kids do, so I don't blame him. Our office in Dallas was 25 miles from our home in Frisco. So, when our lease expired there, we leased our new space in Frisco. We're maybe six miles from home now and I see my wife and kids more.

I can now play with my kids, eat dinner with the family, and have more quickies with my wife. You white people need to just accept it!