PDA

View Full Version : James Patton

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 02:16 PM
What is the deal with everyone wanting him gone?

Are Oline gave up the fewest sacks this year.

And besides Bama and Wisconsin, who can really run block all that well....all the time?

I think are recruits at running back and the play calling have hurt more than anything.

Ok, go ahead, come tear this apart.

TUSooner
12/13/2011, 02:18 PM
Our ewe serious?

:wink:

BillyBall
12/13/2011, 02:21 PM

And besides Bama and Wisconsin, who can really run block all that well....all the time?

I think are recruits at running back and the play calling have hurt more than anything.

You keep using that word, "are". I do not think it means what you think it means.

SoonerLaw09
12/13/2011, 02:23 PM
I never figured you for a day drinker, oudavid.

Breadburner
12/13/2011, 02:27 PM
Someone has been into the gold-paint...!

PalmBeachSooner
12/13/2011, 02:28 PM
Can't we find a way to blame Venables for any shortcomings the OLine may have had? :excitement:

sooneredaco
12/13/2011, 02:47 PM
Can't we find a way to blame Venables for any shortcomings the OLine may have had? :excitement:

Yes we can! Fire his a$$!!!!

prrriiide
12/13/2011, 03:07 PM

Of course we can! If the D would quit getting those 3 and outs and give the OL a blow between series...oh, wait...

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 03:33 PM
You keep using that word, "are". I do not think it means what you think it means.

I use windows speech recognition, starting to re-think that. Not fixing it tho. :D

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 03:51 PM
Our O-Line is very good. Landry just keeps running for his life for the excercise.

SoonerLaw09
12/13/2011, 04:11 PM
I use windows speech recognition, starting to re-think that. Not fixing it tho. :D

And he confirms my diagnosis of too much teh gynnan tonnix. Or ouisghian zodas.

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 04:45 PM
David, since Patton took over, how many 1000 yard rushers have we had?

starclassic tama
12/13/2011, 04:48 PM
i thought the line did a pretty good job when run plays were actually called. if whaley hadn't gotten injured he would have eclipsed 1000 yards for sure

NormanPride
12/13/2011, 04:48 PM
Psst... DeMarco had 1200+ last year and he's only been here three years. Whaley was on pace for 1200+ as well.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2011, 04:59 PM
This is the question for me, because season stats can get skewed different ways...

Has OU been able to run the ball when they needed to?

Boomer.....
12/13/2011, 05:03 PM
Like on the goalline

Fraggle145
12/13/2011, 05:08 PM

WE CANT RUN THE BALL.

Fraggle145
12/13/2011, 05:12 PM

LSU runs the ball pretty well.

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 05:18 PM
Psst... DeMarco had 1200+ last year and he's only been here three years. Whaley was on pace for 1200+ as well.

Who has only been here for 3 years?

Patton? His bio on Soonersports says he been here since 2006.

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 05:19 PM
This is the question for me, because season stats can get skewed different ways...

No

En_Fuego
12/13/2011, 05:31 PM

When they need to ? ...Uh .......No

Fraggle145
12/13/2011, 05:42 PM

Oregon runs the ball pretty well.

OSU runs the ball pretty well.

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 05:58 PM
Top rushing teams that are in BCS conferences:

Georgia Tech
Oregon
Wisconsin
Missouri
Michigan
Nebraska
Alabama
LSU
Baylor
Texas

Teams ahead of OU in rushing in the Big 12:
Missouri
Baylor
Texas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 06:05 PM

LSU had 9 yards in a half vs UGA. They couldnt run when they "wanted to" because I imagine they "wanted to" that first half.

Oregon runs the ball pretty well.

OSU runs the ball pretty well.

Oregon runs well against Cal, they also run spread, not power.
OSU, same thing.

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 06:10 PM
Top rushing teams that are in BCS conferences:

Georgia Tech
Oregon
Wisconsin
Missouri
Michigan
Nebraska
Alabama
LSU
Baylor
Texas

Teams ahead of OU in rushing in the Big 12:
Missouri
Baylor
Texas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State

I think all but one had their starting running back all year.

NormanPride
12/13/2011, 06:44 PM
David, do you watch the games? I mean, really. How the hell can you defend our run blocking? It's beyond awful.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2011, 06:49 PM
LSU had 9 yards in a half vs UGA. They couldnt run when they "wanted to" because I imagine they "wanted to" that first half.

Oregon runs well against Cal, they also run spread, not power.
OSU, same thing.

Who are you quoting as "wanting"? The question is can OU run the ball when they need to?

yermom
12/13/2011, 08:03 PM
David, since Patton took over, how many 1000 yard rushers have we had?

i'm way too lazy to look it up, but i know we had two in 2008

how many is the appropriate amount?

if we had a passing game that could score a TD at the goal line, we might be able to run the ball there

having a starting RB that could stay healthy would help a lot. even AD's freshman year he was hurt before the season started and again fairly late in the season

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 08:15 PM
I think all but one had their starting running back all year.

You do know that the running game starts and ends with the OL, right? With a crappy OL you get nothing. With a good OL, you make the RBs better.

OU_Sooners75
12/13/2011, 08:17 PM
i'm way too lazy to look it up, but i know we had two in 2008

how many is the appropriate amount?

if we had a passing game that could score a TD at the goal line, we might be able to run the ball there

having a starting RB that could stay healthy would help a lot. even AD's freshman year he was hurt before the season started and again fairly late in the season

Only in two seasons has OU has at least one 1,000 yard rusher with Patton at OU.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is his fault...I judge him more on the inability of our OL to get a push in the redzone or on 3rd or 4th and very short!

Salt City Sooner
12/13/2011, 10:48 PM
Only in four seasons has OU has at least one 1,000 yard rusher with Patton at OU.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is his fault...I judge him more on the inability of our OL to get a push in the redzone or on 3rd or 4th and very short!
FIFY, & I don't think I'm going out on all that long of a limb in saying that Whaley would've made it 5 of 6 years had he not been hurt.
2006- AD
2007- Patrick
2008- Brown & Murray
2009- none
2010- Murray
2011- none

stoops the eternal pimp
12/13/2011, 10:58 PM
1. I'm fairly sure Patton hasn't been the OL coach since Peterson which is who we are discussing.

2. IMO, the 1000 yard benchmark, which I think I made a thread about a while back, isn't the same as it used to be with bowl games and championship games now included in the stats.. Players get 2 or 3 extra games to reach it compared to the past.

Salt City Sooner
12/13/2011, 11:58 PM
1. I'm fairly sure Patton hasn't been the OL coach since Peterson which is who we are discussing.

2. IMO, the 1000 yard benchmark, which I think I made a thread about a while back, isn't the same as it used to be with bowl games and championship games now included in the stats.. Players get 2 or 3 extra games to reach it compared to the past.
His bio says his first year was 2006, which would've been AD's last year.

I do agree w/ your #2, it's a bit watered down anymore.

StoopTroup
12/14/2011, 01:00 AM
Yes we can! Fire his a$$!!!!

Who is "We" exactly?

StoopTroup
12/14/2011, 01:06 AM
FIFY, & I don't think I'm going out on all that long of a limb in saying that Whaley would've made it 5 of 6 years had he not been hurt.
2006- AD
2007- Patrick
2008- Brown & Murray
2009- none
2010- Murray
2011- none

What's more important? A 1000 yard rusher or a Cumulative Stat that shows the Backs in the Stable had 2000+ Yards Rushing?

Sooner74
12/14/2011, 01:34 AM
What is this running the ball nonsense. Texas hasn't done it for years, aren't us as Sooners supposed to follow by example?

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 01:34 AM
You do know that the running game starts and ends with the OL, right? With a crappy OL you get nothing. With a good OL, you make the RBs better.

We have a good oline tho! I really think we do. Besides Wisconsin and Alabama, I truly dont think there is another team that run-blocks as well. I think Whaley was doing just fine with OUr oline, I think Murray and Chris Brown were great with it! I think Clay and Finch have not been very consistent and just are not as talented as backs we have had. The fact that OU's best RB is a walk-on should tell you that we dont have a very good rushing attack but I think Brandon Williams will change that. I think the OU offensive line does a great job and on 3rd down we are more likely to be in a pass-blocking situation anyway and they are really good at that. We just need running backs and tight ends to help out more. TEs with run blocking, and RBs with pass pro.

Sooner74
12/14/2011, 01:40 AM
Really? I think we are decent, but the Redzone was still atrocious. We shouldn't have to use a 6' 4'' QB to pound it in. A RB should suffice if our line play was anywhere near acceptable. Maybe it is from the lack of undercenter snaps? Who knows, but we don't get it done from under center in the RZ.

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 01:45 AM
Really? I think we are decent, but the Redzone was still atrocious. We shouldn't have to use a 6' 4'' QB to pound it in. A RB should suffice if our line play was anywhere near acceptable. Maybe it is from the lack of undercenter snaps? Who knows, but we don't get it done from under center in the RZ.

I think we struggle because teams can play man to man on our WRs (even with Broyles) because most teams match up well with us. DeJuan Miller, James Hanna, and Austin Haywood are all supposed to be red zone threats like the TEs and in Miller's case (tall WRs) of back in the day (early 2000s). If you notice, whenever we got inside the 20, if it was a TD, it was mostly to Broyles, if it was a run, the defense was not really playing the pass. I personally want Trey Millard to get on average one more red zone carry inside the 15 yardline per every 4 times we are there. I just really like the kid, and if he isnt lead blocking(which he hasnt shown he is very good at....YET) than give him the rock mayne!

Sooner_Tuf
12/14/2011, 01:46 AM
David, do you watch the games? I mean, really. How the hell can you defend our run blocking? It's beyond awful.
He tries to watch the games, really he does. It's just he can't find them on the mirror.

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2011, 01:48 AM
What's more important? A 1000 yard rusher or a Cumulative Stat that shows the Backs in the Stable had 2000+ Yards Rushing?
Not sure why you're asking me this. :confused: I said in my last post that I agreed w/ you in that the 1,000 mark ain't what it used to be.

FWIW, the walking (OL, to be specific) wounded season of 2009 is the only time since Patton arrived that OU didn't hit at least 2 grand on the ground. IMO, that's a bit deceptive though because lately, to me it's been because of the sheer number of plays being run, not the efficiency of the runs themselves, especially last year.

Fraggle145
12/14/2011, 11:23 AM
Not sure why you're asking me this. :confused: I said in my last post that I agreed w/ you in that the 1,000 mark ain't what it used to be.

FWIW, the walking (OL, to be specific) wounded season of 2009 is the only time since Patton arrived that OU didn't hit at least 2 grand on the ground. IMO, that's a bit deceptive though because lately, to me it's been because of the sheer number of plays being run, not the efficiency of the runs themselves, especially last year.

Or the amount of runs we get in garbage time against overmatched opponents.

We arent winning any games because of the way we run the ball.

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 12:48 PM
He tries to watch the games, really he does. It's just he can't find them on the mirror.

swing and a miss.

Curly Bill
12/14/2011, 01:08 PM

Eggzactly!

jkjsooner
12/14/2011, 01:38 PM

Congrats, you just proved that teams can struggle at times.

You must have some mental deficiency that forces you to take every phrase completely literal. Here's a hint, "run when you want to" doesn't imply that you're 100% successful or that you never struggle.

LSU didn't do much at all in the first half. I guess that means we should give up on that passing thing as well.

The point is that more times than not LSU has been able to run the ball when they needed to. I can't remember the last time we lined up and ran the ball for a TD prior to instituting the Belldozer formation.

oudavid1
12/14/2011, 04:53 PM
Congrats, you just proved that teams can struggle at times.

You must have some mental deficiency that forces you to take every phrase completely literal. Here's a hint, "run when you want to" doesn't imply that you're 100% successful or that you never struggle.

LSU didn't do much at all in the first half. I guess that means we should give up on that passing thing as well.

The point is that more times than not LSU has been able to run the ball when they needed to. I can't remember the last time we lined up and ran the ball for a TD prior to instituting the Belldozer formation.

My point is that James Patton is not the problem because the offensive line is good at pass protection and good a run blocking. My theory for why we struggle in the redzone running the football is because our extra bodies (FBs TEs WRs) are horrible blockers and none of them have ever been great redzone receivers. Teams want us to pass because they think they can defend us 1on1. Most teams at least. Didnt Dom Whaley have 4 tds in the first game with everyone except Jarvis Jones healthy? A&M stuffed us....they were a good run defense.