PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Coach of the Year candidates.....

SteelClip49
12/13/2011, 12:44 PM
in my view:

1. LANE KIFFIN- Guided SC to a Pac 12 South crown unofficially and because of head-to-head win against Oregon, the Pac 12 title unofficially. Considering the mess SC was left with, in just his second year he compiled a (10-2) record and most likely an AP Top Five finish.

2. BILL SNYDER- Guided the Cats to a second place conference finish, 10 wins and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl. He is KSU and he brought them back from the hole they were under Prince.

3. BRADY HOKE- In just one year, brought back the Wolverines to national relevance. From atrocity under RichRod to an appearance in the Sugar Bowl, which they should win.

4. ART BRILES- from the recruiting of now Heisman winner RG3 to back-to-back bowl appearances and a win would give the Bears a (10-3) finish.

5. MIKE GUNDY- easily thebest coach in the history of the program and 1 win away from the most wins ever in a season with 12 and a big bowl win for the first time since 1945 plus winning their first outright conference title since the 40s when in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Thoughts?

OULenexaman
12/13/2011, 12:50 PM
toss up between Hoke and Gundy.....since Gundy captured the BIG 12-2-1-1+2 crown....I go Gundy.

LVSOONER15
12/13/2011, 12:56 PM
I really like Brady Hoke, seems like a class act to me. I see it going to Gundy though.

badger
12/13/2011, 12:58 PM
I would vote for Old Man Snyder over the other four. He proved once again that Kansas State can't win without him and will win with him no matter what.

LVSOONER15
12/13/2011, 01:01 PM
You are right on that Badger. His players believe and they achieve.

Breadburner
12/13/2011, 01:04 PM
Snyder...Briles....

NormanPride
12/13/2011, 01:05 PM
Snyder, without a doubt.

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 01:59 PM
Gundy

Salt City Sooner
12/13/2011, 02:19 PM
in my view:

1. LANE KIFFIN- Guided SC to a Pac 12 South crown unofficially and because of head-to-head win against Oregon, the Pac 12 title unofficially. Considering the mess SC was left with, in just his second year he compiled a (10-2) record and most likely an AP Top Five finish.

2. BILL SNYDER- Guided the Cats to a second place conference finish, 10 wins and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl. He is KSU and he brought them back from the hole they were under Prince.

3. BRADY HOKE- In just one year, brought back the Wolverines to national relevance. From atrocity under RichRod to an appearance in the Sugar Bowl, which they should win.

4. ART BRILES- from the recruiting of now Heisman winner RG3 to back-to-back bowl appearances and a win would give the Bears a (10-3) finish.

5. MIKE GUNDY- easily thebest coach in the history of the program and 1 win away from the most wins ever in a season with 12 and a big bowl win for the first time since 1945 plus winning their first outright conference title since the 40s when in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Thoughts?
Nothing against him, but I don't agree w/ Kiffin. The only tangible "mess" that their team will feel is the lack of going to a bowl game, because their recruiting sanctions don't kick in until next year (they signed 30 in their last class to brace themselves for it). That roster is still stacked to the gills w/ 4 & 5 star talent, & they had some games that, while they usually came out on top, had no business being as close as they were.

I agree w/ the other 4 though, & to make it 5, I'd toss in Gary Patterson. They lost a ton off of last years team & still won the MWC, which included snapping Boise's home winning streak. Other than getting Griffin-ed, & finding out the hard way (in OT I might add) that June Jones is usually good for an upset every season, it was business as usual in Fort Worth, despite the aforementioned turnover in personnel. Off that list, I'd have to go with Snyder.

badger
12/13/2011, 02:42 PM
I know you shouldn't penalize a coach for have quality talent, but the distinguishing characteristic of Old Man Snyder compared with the other four candidates is that the other four achieved good seasons with good talent... and I don't think KSU has any future first rounders or national award finalists/winners.

Lane Kiffin had your stereotypical golden boy quarterback at USC in Matt Barkley that will probably be a first rounder.

Brady Hoke is at Michigan. Nuff said.

Art Briles is at Baylor, yes, but at Baylor with Baylor's first-ever Heisman winner.

Mike Gundy has a first-rounder in Bilitnikoff (screw you guys for not picking Broyles, btw!) winner Blackmon and ex-pro baseballer Old Man Weeden that was a finalist for national awards.

Long post short, the other schools likely win without those coaches...but does KSU win without Snyder?

sooneredaco
12/13/2011, 02:51 PM
Sherman has my vote

badger
12/13/2011, 03:03 PM
Sherman has my vote

Coaching buffoon of the Year nominee extraordinaire :D

In fact... let's go with that for fun!

Buffoon of the Year 2011 nominees:

1- Mike Sherman: Whatever you say to your team in the locker room at halftime needs to stay out of the motivational seminars, Mike. Or perhaps you did sound inspirational, but you didn't properly condition your team to last an entire game. Either way, you're a buffoon of a coach and Aggies hate you for it and probably loved that a recruit's mommy had to be the one to break the news that you were fired.

2- Turner Gill: So you're saying that if I leave Buffalo to coach KU, I can lead you to basically no wins and still get paid $10 million during the next five years, no buyout clause, nothing to stop me from getting my money? Go ahead and fire me. You're gonna pay me whether I coach or not. Who's buffoon, the coach who can't win or the school that can't stop paying?

3- Paul Wulff: Being at your alma mater is not a free pass for continuous losing like you and the Ralph Freeeeegenz of the world seem to think. Go ahead and burn your Wazzu diploma or turn in your cougar card. Your beloved fellow Cougars miss you so much that they made the hire of the year to replace you: Mike Leach. Long story short, you're a coaching buffoon and nobody was sorry to see you go. Sorry.

4- Joe Paterno: The moment I wake up, before I put on my makeup (makeup!) I say a little prayer for you. While combing my hair, now, and wondering what dress to wear, now (wear now!). I say a little prayer for you. Forever and ever, your legacy's ruined cuz you really screwed up. Resign? No, no, no, for covering up something as awful as child molestation, they FIRE you for that, old man. Your entire campus is filled with buffoons too for protesting on your behalf. And you're a buffoon for telling them to say a little prayer for the victims, the victims you ignored a decade ago.

5- Houston Nutt: Remember back when you were in a constant bidding war it seemed? That you seemed to welcome all the "leave Arkansas for more money" rumors so Arkansas would give you more money to stay? Those were good ole days. Not at Ole Miss, where they probably have already torched your house with pitchforks full of hay and wonder if there's ever going to be SEC level football at their SEC school. Well, at least they can still chant SEC. Buffoons.