PDA

View Full Version : World Beer Cup

Lott's Bandana
12/12/2011, 09:16 PM
Winning "Best American-style Lager" is like winning Best Soviet-made Automobile.

Yak **** >>> Miller Lite

GottaHavePride
12/12/2011, 09:25 PM
True. Which is ironic, because they're really difficult to brew correctly.

TUSooner
12/12/2011, 09:47 PM
True. Which is ironic, because they're really difficult to brew correctly.

It's hard to get all the flavor out? hmm.

TUSooner
12/12/2011, 09:55 PM
Speaking of beer, here's an email I got from the Avenue Pub here in NOLA. The owner, a woman, is all into the Belgian heavies, and I don't mean fat guys named Niels and Maarten.

Christmas beers are in and selling out fast!
[Wednesday] is a Christmas beer tasting and we will focus on some really fabulous treats from Europe:
Stuisse Tsjeesus
One of the two holiday releases from Struisse. ( the other is Pannepot) this is a really great belgian strong ale( 10%ABV) with hints of stone fruit and bready yeast goodness. just like the Pannepot it took me three years of begging to get my hands on a keg. dont miss it. Also, this is the beer whose label was denied in the US. the European label is a drawing of Jesus obviously under the influence of "herb" . For the US market the Label was redrawn with Jesus wearing sunglasses.

Hanndbrygeriet Nissefar (Father Christmas)
Depending on the source this is either an Old Ale or a porter.... This annual beer is a dark, rich,complex, malty beer packed with chocolate caramel and raisin flavors. 7%ABV

Geants Noel
spiced Christmas specialty from Belgium. malty and a bit sweet up fron with a dry finish. this one is spiced but not overly and depsite its comnlexity is is a very drinkable beer. 8.5% ABV

We will have some cheese to share with these beers.

ALSO NEW ON TAP: Struisse pannepot Reserva 2009, To OI Blackball porter, Stone Imperial Russian Stout, aged for about 6 months to take the heat off, a vinatge Brooklyn Monster keg 2010( Barley wine), Hof Ten Dormal wit beer made with chicory root, Saison DuPont, brooklyn Companion Wheat wine.

Firkin Friday: St Arnolds Christmas on the Beer engine. this beer is selling so fast its likely to be all gone by Friday! good thing we scheduled a cask of it!

Ever had any of these? Any of 'em any good? I usually meet a friend there on Friday for 2 or 3 before he picks his wife up from work.

TUSooner
12/12/2011, 09:57 PM
Or best ice skater in Kuwait. Or...

delhalew
12/12/2011, 11:48 PM
It's hard to get all the flavor out? hmm.

Lol. This is completely accurate. Never let it develop any flavor in the first place, then eliminate any that might have snuck through.

delhalew
12/12/2011, 11:50 PM
Speaking of beer, here's an email I got from the Avenue Pub here in NOLA. The owner, a woman, is all into the Belgian heavies, and I don't mean fat guys named Niels and Maarten.

Ever had any of these? Any of 'em any good? I usually meet a friend there on Friday for 2 or 3 before he picks his wife up from work.

I'll take one of each, please and thank you.

sooneron
12/14/2011, 05:06 PM

http://www.cultureblues.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/jcvd.jpg

BillyBall
12/14/2011, 05:16 PM
is all into the Belgian heavies, and I don't mean fat guys named Niels and Maarten.

That made me laugh so hard that water came out of my nose. Thanks for that...

IBleedCrimson
12/14/2011, 05:22 PM
Lol. This is completely accurate. Never let it develop any flavor in the first place, then eliminate any that might have snuck through.

They are very hard to brew precisely because there is no flavor. There is nothing to mask any imperfections. If you screw up anything at all, its glaringly obvious.

northspeter
12/14/2011, 05:27 PM
saison dupont is the only one on the list i've tried and it's excellent... but i'd try em all... belgians are my favorite...