PDA

View Full Version : At what age "should" kids...

8timechamps
12/11/2011, 06:52 PM
realize there is no Santa?

I'm not completely sure, but I think both my kids believed until about 9 years old. I think kids "should" believe as long as they can, but there's probably an age when they should figure it out...like 30?

olevetonahill
12/11/2011, 07:24 PM
Theres No Santa????:miserable:

SicEmBaylor
12/11/2011, 07:26 PM
realize there is no Santa?

I'm not completely sure, but I think both my kids believed until about 9 years old. I think kids "should" believe as long as they can, but there's probably an age when they should figure it out...like 30?
I'm 29 and still get "Santa" gifts.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/11/2011, 07:36 PM
2nd grade or 9 years old - whichever comes first.

yermom
12/11/2011, 07:48 PM
I'm going with conception

hawaii 5-0
12/11/2011, 08:19 PM
I've played Santa for at least 20 years. I own 2 suits.

I tell the older kids who get on my lap and roll their eyes that "as long as they believe, they keep getting the good stuff. It works even until your thirties." They like that idea and will play along for the photo.

I've had newborns, grandmas, company executives, M1LFs, as many as 7 people of varying ages up there at once

5-0

3rdgensooner
12/11/2011, 08:31 PM
I've played Santa for at least 20 years. I own 2 suits.Pics?

Peach Fuzz
12/11/2011, 09:40 PM
My parents had the rule that as long as I believed, I would get gifts. 22 years later I'm still getting the goods :pride:

If not that, then 3rd grade tops.

IndySooner
12/12/2011, 09:58 AM
From personal experience, 4th grade is too late. Mom held on forever with me and I got made fun of for believing in 4th grade.

My wife is devastated because my niece, a 3rd grader, has stopped believing and my sister won't tell her she's right. Therefore, she's probably going to plant doubt into my 1st grader this year and my wife's not ready for that at all.

olevetonahill
12/12/2011, 10:06 AM
If ya dont Believe then yer nothin but a Heathern

tator
12/12/2011, 10:06 AM
Both my kids found out at school around 1st grade. Wasn't a big deal.

NormanPride
12/12/2011, 10:10 AM
I still believe. I sit up at night listening for bells and hooves on the roof.

I am never disappointed.

olevetonahill
12/12/2011, 10:20 AM

I am never disappointed.

If ya dont go to sleep he wont come.

NormanPride
12/12/2011, 10:34 AM
Oh, I go to sleep. But it wakes me up!

stoopified
12/12/2011, 10:38 AM
Theres No Santa????:miserable:He lies,Santa lives!

KantoSooner
12/12/2011, 10:42 AM
I was Santa at several community gatherings a few years ago. After the kiddies, I'd insist that the mommies come and sit on Santa's lap and tell him what they wanted for Christmas. Many of them had been VERY naughty the previous year. My belief in Santa is unshaken.

olevetonahill
12/12/2011, 10:56 AM
He lies,Santa lives!
Dayum Liars . Santa aint gonna brang em any Natty this year .

badger
12/12/2011, 12:11 PM
A classmate in kindergarten said that he spotted his parents one night putting presents under the tree.

Parents never really took that Santa thing seriously anyway so wasn't adamant about things coming from Santa or anything so it wasn't the heartbreak of a lifetime.

What really irked me though was seeing all the other parents letting their kids see the mall Santa. We went to the mall really often when I was little and I NEVER got to see Santa. I don't think dad wanted to stand in the line. Instead, we were led around to every store that we'd find the most boringest. Zzzzzzz

SoonerLaw09
12/12/2011, 12:13 PM
My kid had it figured out at age 10. I think he suspected earlier but was afraid he wouldn't get any presents if he said something. His reasoning? "There's no way somebody that fat could fit down our chimney."

Jammin'
12/12/2011, 12:21 PM
So around 9-10. Got it. Now, at what age should they learn there's no Jesus?

(runs away quickly, well, as quick as I can anyway)

badger
12/12/2011, 12:24 PM

That has got to be one of the more difficult things parents have to deal with --- when their kiddos start questioning their parents faith.

But, as long as they live under your roof, you should be able to drag them off to church functions till they're 18.

olevetonahill
12/12/2011, 12:31 PM
That has got to be one of the more difficult things parents have to deal with --- when their kiddos start questioning their parents faith.

But, as long as they live under your roof, you should be able to drag them off to church functions till they MOVE OUT.

FIFY

olevetonahill
12/12/2011, 12:33 PM

Like I said If ya dont Believe in Santa He aint gonna brang ya any Natty
Iffen ya dont believe in Jesus He aint gonna turn yer water into Natty
You best be good

Jammin'
12/12/2011, 12:36 PM
Like I said If ya dont Believe in Santa He aint gonna brang ya any Natty
Iffen ya dont believe in Jesus He aint gonna turn yer water into Natty
You best be good

I'll get my mind right boss.

NormanPride
12/12/2011, 03:13 PM
I'll get my mind right boss.

Jesus turns water into ice cold Guinness as well, if that be your preference.

Jammin'
12/12/2011, 03:15 PM

I like a hoppier beer but will take Guinness over Natty fo sho. (sorry vet)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/12/2011, 05:27 PM
My daughter is in first grade..When she asks, I tell her "If you think he is real, then he's real..If you think he is not, then he is not.."

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2011, 05:31 PM
I think I was in 4th/5th when I stopped. Kids would always tell you that he isn't real, but my parents said he was and I always took everything my parents said as the absolute gospel truth.

SoonerLaw09
12/12/2011, 06:03 PM

I told my son a long time ago that there was no such thing as Jammin'. Just so he knows how to separate fantasy from reality.

Unless you can prove you exist, of course.

Jammin'
12/12/2011, 06:20 PM
I told my son a long time ago that there was no such thing as Jammin'. Just so he knows how to separate fantasy from reality.

Unless you can prove you exist, of course.

So your kids see me as a fantasy? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to disprove that even if I could.

I always wanted to be a wizard. Thaum, kindly grab my wand for me.

(hmmm, that last sentence could lead in a direction I had not intended)

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2011, 06:46 PM
So your kids see me as a fantasy? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to disprove that even if I could.

I always wanted to be a wizard. Thaum, kindly grab my wand for me.

(hmmm, that last sentence could lead in a direction I had not intended)
I put on my robe and wizard hat.

olevetonahill
12/12/2011, 06:48 PM
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
Yea I heard you like to GRAB wands

8timechamps
12/12/2011, 08:07 PM

aaaaand, that's why you still hear hoofs on the rooftop.

Fraggle145
12/12/2011, 09:08 PM
My parents always said: Those who dont believe, dont receive.

I still believe. Santa is my Jesus.

GottaHavePride
12/12/2011, 09:35 PM
I'm not religious by any means, but I sure as hell celebrate Christmas. I see nothing wrong with celebrating a day of getting together with the family, exchanging gifts, and eating way too much.

OUTromBoNado
12/12/2011, 09:59 PM

I am never disappointed.

You hear those noises because you live near River Parks.

IndySooner
12/12/2011, 10:04 PM
My kid had it figured out at age 10. I think he suspected earlier but was afraid he wouldn't get any presents if he said something. His reasoning? "There's no way somebody that fat could fit down our chimney."I figured out the chimney thing (we had no chimney) and noticed one year that Santa had the same wrapping paper as Grandma, yet my parents were able to keep me believing. I think if a kid wants to believe he/she will for as long as possible.

SicEmBaylor
12/12/2011, 10:20 PM
I figured out the chimney thing (we had no chimney) and noticed one year that Santa had the same wrapping paper as Grandma, yet my parents were able to keep me believing. I think if a kid wants to believe he/she will for as long as possible.
Our Santa gifts were never wrapped. Is that common?

Our Santa gifts were always the "big ticket" items. We'd wake up in the morning and go down stairs with the parents and the gifts were always waiting there either in the parlor or the library.

My poor dad...a lot of the time this stuff required a lot of assembly. He'd hide the stuff at his clinic and then pick it up after we had gone to bed. He'd stay up assembling stuff and then have to wake up at 6am with my sister and I dragging him out of bed.

OUTromBoNado
12/12/2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SoonerLaw09
12/12/2011, 10:38 PM

Our Santa gifts were always the "big ticket" items. We'd wake up in the morning and go down stairs with the parents and the gifts were always waiting there either in the parlor or the library.

My poor dad...a lot of the time this stuff required a lot of assembly. He'd hide the stuff at his clinic and then pick it up after we had gone to bed. He'd stay up assembling stuff and then have to wake up at 6am with my sister and I dragging him out of bed.

As a father, I have done that. Many times. But no more! I shall actually be able to go to BED on Christmas Eve!!! :D

Chuck Bao
12/13/2011, 12:25 AM
I don't ever remember believing in Santa Claus. We were too poor to pretend. I do remember as a little kid thinking that it was just a game to play along so the adults (besides my parents) could pretend and be happy.

I don't feel deprived in any way. My brother, sister and I didn't need any toys. We were just as happy without them, making up our own games and creating our own toys and playing outside.

I guess kids are different these days.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/13/2011, 07:27 AM
To answer the original question, I think as long as a kid wants to believe, then he's real. I see no point in sitting down to have a talk. It's all about the magic of Christmas anyway.

My poor dad...a lot of the time this stuff required a lot of assembly. He'd hide the stuff at his clinic and then pick it up after we had gone to bed. He'd stay up assembling stuff and then have to wake up at 6am with my sister and I dragging him out of bed.Our Santa gifts were never wrapped either. Why would he wrap presents and put them in the sleigh? Santa never brought big ticket items though. My parents wanted the credit for those. He would bring stocking stuffer type things and one cool gift unless we were getting something that required assembly.

3rdgensooner
12/13/2011, 08:43 AM
Our Santa gifts were never wrapped either. Why would he wrap presents and put them in the sleigh? Santa never brought big ticket items though. My parents wanted the credit for those. He would bring stocking stuffer type things and one cool gift unless we were getting something that required assembly.Same for me.

badger
12/13/2011, 09:33 AM
I don't ever remember believing in Santa Claus. We were too poor to pretend. I do remember as a little kid thinking that it was just a game to play along so the adults (besides my parents) could pretend and be happy.

I don't feel deprived in any way. My brother, sister and I didn't need any toys. We were just as happy without them, making up our own games and creating our own toys and playing outside.

I've heard that more kids are asking mall santas for jobs for their parents, help with bills, etc. than Tickle Me Elmos (or whatever the popular Elmo doll is this year). Mall santas are apparently trying to help parents out too, either by steering them away from big ticket items ("A lot of kids are asking for that this year! Is there anything else you'd like?") or seeing if there's anything besides jobs and utilities they can bring the kid ("Santa loves you too! Is there anything he can bring you?")

People are adaptable and will live within their means and what they're used to, I guess. Didn't stop me from wanting a Nintendo, though.

jkjsooner
12/13/2011, 09:34 AM
Here's the thing. You can believe in Santa until the third grade or so but by first grade you better have figured out that the Santas you see at the mall, or the local parade, or your school aren't really Santa

jkjsooner
12/13/2011, 09:38 AM

I'm pretty sure kids stop believing in Santa long before their parents realize it. I think in almost all cases the kids keep playing along just for the sake of their parents.

Good for you.

jkjsooner
12/13/2011, 09:41 AM
Didn't stop me from wanting a Nintendo, though.

Creepy, I just posted almost the same thing in response to Chuck's post but then deleted it.

Nintendo rocked. It was the first time I felt like I was playing the same games they had at the arcade in my own home FOR FREE. I know some people liked the system but let's face it the Atari 2600 was crap.

Jammin'
12/13/2011, 10:48 AM

You really weaved "poor" and "happy" together here nicely and added just the right amount of "shame unto you". Well played Chuck.

olevetonahill
12/13/2011, 11:01 AM
Bastards

Chuck Bao
12/13/2011, 11:06 AM
You really weaved "poor" and "happy" together here nicely and added just the right amount of "shame unto you". Well played Chuck.

Well thanks, I think. I remember that a local newspaper interviewed my kindergarten class about what we wanted for Christmas. I had no idea (this was many years before Nintendo) and when pushed about it, I looked up and saw jingle bells so I blurted out "bells. I want bells". So, the newspaper printed that I wanted bells. Yeah, not my finest moment.

badger
12/13/2011, 11:39 AM
Creepy, I just posted almost the same thing in response to Chuck's post but then deleted it.

Nintendo rocked. It was the first time I felt like I was playing the same games they had at the arcade in my own home FOR FREE. I know some people liked the system but let's face it the Atari 2600 was crap.

It seems that you got a Nintendo. I did not. Parents were anti-video game. However, pretty much everyone else had one so I got to play others' Nintendos. Nintendoes? Whatev...

I did kind of get a Nintendo in sixth grade because my mom was trying to bribe me to go to a funeral outta state (actually this state) and I guess though a Gameboy would be enough. I got it taken away numerous times for school-related issues. zzzzz.

Yes, I was a rebellious little brat. If you have your own rebellious little brat, I recommend a Nintendo or other thing that they love and you hate. It makes the perfect first-thing-to-go-when-you-act-up punishment. You love taking it away and they hate getting it taken away. Before I had a Gameboy, parents would take away... TV time? Yeah, that worked, because we had free TV that didn't have a good signal that dad hogged to watch the news and weather. They couldn't ground me either, because I had an early bedtime as-is (probably because they didn't want to put up with my crap after 8) and we lived an rural, semi-remote area anyway, so I had no place to stay out late or go to or anything.

So anyways, Santas out there, get your kids a Nintendo. :)

Widescreen
12/13/2011, 12:12 PM
My daughter is in first grade..When she asks, I tell her "If you think he is real, then he's real..If you think he is not, then he is not.."
Jesus or Santa?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/13/2011, 01:41 PM
Here's the thing. You can believe in Santa until the third grade or so but by first grade you better have figured out that the Santas you see at the mall, or the local parade, or your school aren't really SantaMy parents always told me you couldn't see the real Santa. Those were his helpers.

SicEmBaylor
12/13/2011, 03:15 PM
Chuck's version of Christmas is the Anti-SicEm

Well thanks, I think. I remember that a local newspaper interviewed my kindergarten class about what we wanted for Christmas. I had no idea (this was many years before Nintendo) and when pushed about it, I looked up and saw jingle bells so I blurted out "bells. I want bells". So, the newspaper printed that I wanted bells. Yeah, not my finest moment.
To be fair....well...nevermind. :D

SicEmBaylor
12/13/2011, 03:16 PM
It seems that you got a Nintendo. I did not. Parents were anti-video game. However, pretty much everyone else had one so I got to play others' Nintendos. Nintendoes? Whatev...

I did kind of get a Nintendo in sixth grade because my mom was trying to bribe me to go to a funeral outta state (actually this state) and I guess though a Gameboy would be enough. I got it taken away numerous times for school-related issues. zzzzz.

Yes, I was a rebellious little brat. If you have your own rebellious little brat, I recommend a Nintendo or other thing that they love and you hate. It makes the perfect first-thing-to-go-when-you-act-up punishment. You love taking it away and they hate getting it taken away. Before I had a Gameboy, parents would take away... TV time? Yeah, that worked, because we had free TV that didn't have a good signal that dad hogged to watch the news and weather. They couldn't ground me either, because I had an early bedtime as-is (probably because they didn't want to put up with my crap after 8) and we lived an rural, semi-remote area anyway, so I had no place to stay out late or go to or anything.

So anyways, Santas out there, get your kids a Nintendo. :)
Completely off subject: You're from Wisconsin, right? How did you end up at OU?

badger
12/13/2011, 03:33 PM
Completely off subject: You're from Wisconsin, right? How did you end up at OU?

Because I asked Santa if I could go to UW-Madison and Santa was all like "Noooooo, they are crazy in Madtown and are weird and you don't want to be part of that culture... you should attend OU like your brother!"

I'm sure you understand this quite well SicEm: When your parents are helping you foot the college bill, they also "help" you decide where you're going to college.

I am not sorry that the decision was made for me, OU was lots of fun, but the decision was indeed made for me. I remember taking a "college visit" to OU, which I was completely exhausted during since it was my first break from anything (Spring Break week), but when mom asked what I wanted to visit on campus next, I said that I wanted to go back to the motel pool. She exclaimed "This is your college visit!" and I replied "I already know where I'm going." It was basically a ruse to visit Oklahoma to see brother... and they dragged me away from a much needed week of rest driving 17+ hours to do it. :(

SicEmBaylor
12/13/2011, 03:48 PM
I'm sure you understand this quite well SicEm: When your parents are helping you foot the college bill, they also "help" you decide where you're going to college.

I was only told that under no circumstances would they ever EVER pay a single red cent to the University of Oklahoma. The decision had been made that I would attend Poke State when I was still in diapers, but then my mom decided it might be good for me to attend Fall Premier when the flier came in the mail and the rest is history....

Getting back to Christmas though...

Do most people open their presents on Christmas eve? We did. Family gifts on Christmas Eve followed by the big Santa gifts on Christmas morning. What sucked though is that every single year we'd drive to either Antlers or Durant on Christmas afternoon to spend a couple of days with my grandparents and cousins.

But, we were never allowed to take any of our gifts with us down there because my extended family are (to put it nicely) socialists who thought that all of the "grandkids" should have an equal Christmas and since they were fairly poor they resented everything my parents got my sister and I. Soooo, we had to leave our gifts at home and stay "hush hush" about what we got. I always hated that. Absolutely hated it.

It sucks to get all of these great gifts and have to leave them behind just to spend time with the extended family for a couple of days! Ugh....didn't they know what the true meaning of Christmas is???

badger
12/13/2011, 04:35 PM
But, we were never allowed to take any of our gifts with us down there because my extended family are (to put it nicely) socialists who thought that all of the "grandkids" should have an equal Christmas and since they were fairly poor they resented everything my parents got my sister and I. Soooo, we had to leave our gifts at home and stay "hush hush" about what we got. I always hated that. Absolutely hated it.

Kids can tell when they're not getting what others are getting though so it was probably one way to keep the peace by making you leave your Nintendo at home while your cousins play with their ball cups with a little string.

At least your grandparents didn't make you exchange your great gifts with your cousin's gifts to redistribute the wealth or whatever... now THAT would have been socialist, eh? :D

SicEmBaylor
12/13/2011, 05:23 PM
At least your grandparents didn't make you exchange your great gifts with your cousin's gifts to redistribute the wealth or whatever... now THAT would have been socialist, eh? :D
Almost. They always basically wanted us all to have the exact same things and get the exact same presents which is a little awkward considering I'm the only male on that side of the family and there is a 6-year age difference between myself and the next oldest.

8timechamps
12/13/2011, 06:50 PM

I don't remember really believing either, but my kids both did and it was just as fun for my (ex)wife and I.

I remember being very young (probably about 5) and seeing my folks pushing a box of presents down the hall on Christmas eve, and I guess I never gave it a second thought.

8timechamps
12/13/2011, 06:52 PM
As a father, I have done that. Many times. But no more! I shall actually be able to go to BED on Christmas Eve!!! :D

That was a benefit to there being no more Santa...being able to go to bed at a decent time on Christmas eve.

Chuck Bao
12/14/2011, 03:24 AM
Chuck's version of Christmas is the Anti-SicEm

To be fair....well...nevermind. :D

Heh! I have a new signature line.

badger
12/14/2011, 10:12 AM
sv4Hpz-GI3g

8timechamps
12/14/2011, 06:24 PM
The hardest part of Christmas morning as a kid was opening gifts that contained clothes, and trying to seem excited and not move on too fast. First world problems!