PDA

View Full Version : Does OU basketball deserved to be ranked?

OU_Sooners75
12/11/2011, 06:28 PM
I know it is way too early to say we are a good basketball team for sure...but I really think we are.

We may not win the Big 12 or even make the NCAA tourney...but I think we have a very good shot at the latter as long as the team continues to play like they are now. It seems we are better than UCONN at least. :)

OU 92 vs. Coppin State 65 win margin: 27
Coppin State 70 vs. UCONN 87 win margin: 17

OU 78 vs. Arkansas 63 win margin: 15
Arkansas 62 vs. UCONN 75 win margin: 13

Serge Ibaka
12/11/2011, 07:55 PM
OU also lost to STL by 20. Had they won that game, they would have been ranked.

I'm liking this team a lot, but IMO, they still have a lot more to prove. Also, Newell's transfer is going to really hurt when when the team gets into conference play (some of his burden is going to fall onto Blair, and he was a noticeable weak-spot in Saturday's game).

Still, if the team continues to shoot the ball the way that they have, they can play with anybody. It's going to be a fun year for Sooner hoops.

The team is top 80 in team FG%, and they're top 15% in 3-Point FG%. And really, it's great how high they're combined FG% is considering how much of a jump-shooting team that they are.

northspeter
12/11/2011, 08:02 PM
we've beaten a couple of decent teams, but havent beaten anyone good yet... however, this team is miles ahead of the last 2 squads... im excited to see them continue to grow...

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/11/2011, 08:27 PM
They deserve some attention. Hopefully they'll pick up a few points in the polls.

SoonerorLater
12/11/2011, 08:36 PM
I don't think they've shown enough to be ranked. After watching this team I can see an improvement in just about every area compared to last years team but I don't think they are a top 25 team yet. At this point a ranking may be more of a burden than anything.

Serge Ibaka
12/11/2011, 08:42 PM
After Saturday's game (and probably every game), all of the players & coaches took a quick walk around the gym and shake hands/applaud the fans.

That's a really nice routine for them. My section seemed appreciative at least; everybody around me stood and clapped as they went by.

Go Lon Kruger era.

stoopified
12/11/2011, 10:05 PM
No

JiminyChristmas
12/11/2011, 11:32 PM
Don't need or deserve to be ranked yet. Keep em hungry. They have been fun to watch so far. Keep it going Lon!

IronHorseSooner
12/12/2011, 07:56 AM
Not yet. If they are 11-1 going into conference play, it would be hard not to give them some strong consideration.

Sooner95
12/12/2011, 08:09 AM
So far we've played very well, and have beaten a couple of "decent" teams. Ark, Santa Clara and ORU. We have played a good team in STL and got whipped.

If we finish up OOC at 11-1 then perhaps we will garnish a few votes in the polls, but I do not think we are top25 material. Not yet.

Boomer.....
12/12/2011, 09:39 AM
We have well exceeded everyone's expectations so far. Lon has this team playing good basketball at OU for the first time in 3 years. We should be on the fringe of the Top 25. A few more wins and we should be there.

badger
12/12/2011, 09:52 AM
I think they will start getting votes soon just because the AP poll has area voters, but I don't think it'll be enough to get into the top 25.

kbsooner21
12/12/2011, 10:38 AM
I'd say they are just about due for a top 25 ranking. If they keep winning until conference play, they'll be ranked.

badger
12/12/2011, 01:38 PM
We got votes from the coaches!

Link (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings)

Thank you to the four that voted for OU! :)

Sooner95
12/12/2011, 02:49 PM
Yea rock on. I just saw that!

nighttrain12
12/12/2011, 03:13 PM
We're number 39! We're number 39!

badger
12/12/2011, 03:33 PM
We're number 39! We're number 39!

It's better than where we were. 7-1 and getting votes in a national poll is a good place for a "rebuilding" program to be.

If you don't keep up with the women (you should! I have a little chatter thread going and everything!), they are 4-3 and just fell outta the top 25 rankings for the first time in seven years.

It can happen to any program, but after the not-fun downfall, recovery can be fun, watching player improvement, seeing what good coaching versus non-existent coaching looks like, seeing what winning versus losing looks like... recovery is awesome.

We are probably another undefeated week away from making a serious stab at either poll's top 25. In that amount of time, enough teams ahead of us can lose and we can finally start to get people's eyeballs for whatever reason --- Sportscenter highlights, beating teams they have heard of, you name it.

birddog
12/12/2011, 05:14 PM
i've had it in for lon since i saw him abuse us as florida's coach at the classic. maybe '95 dametriues "da meat cleaver" killed us inside. calvin's first year?

good to have lon aboard. i am one of the guys that was also for gene cable because he was young, could talk to the young youts on the squad. didn't turn out that well for gene but i think lon is a bit more polished and primed to give us a much more stable program than gene and his aau ties.
where is ou_skull n ouskins?

badger
12/12/2011, 05:24 PM
Some of the old bball dudes now frequent ouhoops.com but I'm not sure if I've seen skin or skull over there. I admit to peeking and occasionally posting over there as well. They all be hardcore bout their Sooner basketball though. :)

Eielson
12/12/2011, 06:13 PM
Deservedly or not, we will soon be in the top 25.

badger
12/12/2011, 06:15 PM
Deservedly or not, we will soon be in the top 25.

As Pokemon (I am looking at your avatar) would say: OU BASKETBALL IS EVOLVING!

Before:
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbmp8dukxY1qe5h09o1_400.jpg

After:
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/top-dawg.jpg

:D

nebraskaSOONER
12/13/2011, 05:29 PM
I don't think they've shown enough to be ranked. After watching this team I can see an improvement in just about every area compared to last years team but I don't think they are a top 25 team yet. At this point a ranking may be more of a burden than anything.

I agree totally, they will be in the rankings, but now is not the time, let them grow a bit more without having to deal with that burden.

8timechamps
12/13/2011, 06:28 PM
Not yet.

We are definitely better than most expected going into the season, but probably not as good as a top 25 ranking would suggest at this point.

As mentioned, should we finish up the OOC play with an 11-1 record, then it would be hard not to rank us in the low 20s. But, we'll find out just how good we are pretty quick once conference play stars.

Nonetheless, I've overjoyed with the look and attitude of this team. Joe C. made a great hire with Lon, and hopefully we'll be back to having some success in the NCAAs.

Sooner95
12/13/2011, 06:59 PM
Yea, we will find out REAL quick once conference play starts..

@Mizzou
Kansas
@OSU
KSU

Tough start...

TopDog8025
12/15/2011, 09:52 PM
I actually wrote an article on this. Sure I probably had some crimson glasses on. But let me know what you think! :D http://wp.me/prUUN-Dva

OU_Sooners75
12/16/2011, 02:58 AM
not a bad read at all. good jorb!

IronHorseSooner
12/16/2011, 08:10 AM
Joe Lunardi has us as a #11 seed in Bracketology.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

SoonerorLater
12/16/2011, 11:25 AM
Joe Lunardi has us as a #11 seed in Bracketology.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I think this might be a tad premature. I'm hopeful too but at this point maybe a little unwarranted.

IronHorseSooner
12/16/2011, 02:26 PM
I think this might be a tad premature. I'm hopeful too but at this point maybe a little unwarranted.

True, but there are under 40 teams in the country who are undefeated or have just one loss. There are a few "name" teams who have 2 losses (KU, UNC, FLA) who are also in that list. Whether it may be warranted or not, we have to be considered one of the 66 best right now.

SoonerorLater
12/16/2011, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure where we are in the pecking order of things but I think it would be good to fly under the radar for a while. When we hit conference play and still continue to play well then I would welcome the buzz. I don't know what the plateau for this team will be but I would be more than happy with playing .500 ball in conference. If we do that we may get a slot in the NCAA.

StoopTroup
12/18/2011, 12:05 AM
I'm watching K-State take down #21 Alabama right now so if we go undefeated till we begin Big XII Play 1/3/2012 against Mizzou and play decent against oSu, KU and maybe beat K-State...we might get some notice. Unfortunately we have a very tough Season opening in the Big XII this year. Win some of those and we will see plenty of folks notice us.

StoopTroup
12/18/2011, 12:08 AM
Yea, we will find out REAL quick once conference play starts..

@Mizzou
Kansas
@OSU
KSU

Tough start...

Very tough. That 7'6'' guy for K-State is playing well tonight and the Guard Rodriguez is having a great night tonight in the Wildcat Classic.

8timechamps
12/18/2011, 01:38 PM
The only team I am a little worried about remaining on our OOC schedule is Cincy. Plus it's at their place. So, assuming we finish the OOC portion of the season 10-2, and go .500 in conference play, that would put us in the 19-11 or 20-10 range before the Big XII tourney. We'll see what kind of quality wins we finish with, but that could very well put us in the show. The Cincy game is an early must-win if this team wants to stay off the bubble at the end (assuming at least a .500 record in conference).

oumartin
12/18/2011, 02:42 PM
this team is winning the big 12

the_ouskull
12/18/2011, 04:44 PM
i've had it in for lon since i saw him abuse us as florida's coach at the classic. maybe '95 dametriues "da meat cleaver" killed us inside. calvin's first year?

good to have lon aboard. i am one of the guys that was also for gene cable because he was young, could talk to the young youts on the squad. didn't turn out that well for gene but i think lon is a bit more polished and primed to give us a much more stable program than gene and his aau ties.
where is ou_skull n ouskins?

I show up like Betelgeuse.

- He was "Da Meat Hook," not "Da Meat Cleaver."
- It's where "are" ouskull and OUSKINS? Because you have a compound subject, you must take a verb that matches a plural subject.

...and I've been writing semester tests. I still teach English.

I'm going to get down on talking about this team once my break starts, I promise. Thanks for keeping me in your hearts. :D

the_ouskull

soonerfan4life
12/18/2011, 04:49 PM
I think no matter what we all should go out and give our support to the team we did it for football . And we should beat Cincy they have about 5 players sitting out for that game

badger
12/18/2011, 05:16 PM
this team is winning the big 12

maybe the tourney is there's some upsets here and there, but probably not the regular season as awesome as that would be :)

I see us getting votes in both the ap and coaches poll this week. Lonster Monster is getting respect among his peers and the media now.

birddog
12/19/2011, 08:26 AM
I show up like Betelgeuse.

- He was "Da Meat Hook," not "Da Meat Cleaver."
- It's where "are" ouskull and OUSKINS? Because you have a compound subject, you must take a verb that matches a plural subject.

...and I've been writing semester tests. I still teach English.

I'm going to get down on talking about this team once my break starts, I promise. Thanks for keeping me in your hearts. :D

the_ouskull

yeah i initially was wantin you to check in but have to give skins some cred for his bball knowledge so i added him.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/19/2011, 04:59 PM
Sooners lost ground in the Coaches Poll. Down to 1 point. Kinda going the wrong direction.

However, K-State still isn't in the top 25 yet.

badger
12/19/2011, 06:51 PM
Thank you to the coach that voted for us! :)

badger
12/26/2011, 02:16 PM
fyi - no votes in either poll for the men this week. I guess it was just a temporary Christmas present for Lon by one of the coaches :)

The womens polls are not both out yet, but we are quickly falling outta favor with the media. Not one vote this week for the OU women. I haven't seen the coaches poll yet.

Vegas Sooner
12/26/2011, 03:33 PM
...just keep winning and they'll get there.

ouleaf
12/27/2011, 02:21 AM
Nice matchup with Cincy on Thursday. Will be a good test for the boys against decent competition.

badger
12/27/2011, 10:22 AM
Nice matchup with Cincy on Thursday. Will be a good test for the boys against decent competition.

You all should totally vBet on this game. It's ouflak's debut taking over Sooner basketball duties since Sooner football season is closing down. He totally gave you 15 to 1 on Fraschilla instead of my cheapskate arse's 13 to 1 odds, too :D

(because 13 is his jersey number! i'm really not cheap, I promise!)

IronHorseSooner
12/29/2011, 11:28 AM
I think we should get a good look at the Top 25 if we win tonight in a Big East venue. IMHO, OU and KSU deserve strong consideration. In fact, both are playing more consistently than KU, and that's coming from a KU buddy of mine!