PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the woeful feeling sorry for ourselves... here's a question for your aces

VA Sooner
12/10/2011, 11:38 PM
Now that Jaz Reynolds, Brandon Williams, and Aaron Ripkowski are out on offense and Ronnell Lewis and Frank Alexander may or may not be 100% on defense...

what would you football-savvy types do as coaches to get this team ready to play a fired-up Iowa team that would love nothing better than to help Firentz knock down Stoops and the Sooners in a bowl game knowing that the Hawkeyes have a very impressive bowl record and their coaches know how to get their kids ready.

Who do you start and where?
What do you slip into the playbook?
What new schemes do you bring in?
What do you bring to stop Iowa and their decent offense?

Just curious what we have left on the shelf and how folks would best utilize the talent we have in our bowl game to get us through an off-season that will be filled with even more questions. I'm not a coach and my arm-chair quarterbacking abilities have gotten me nowhere this year.

En_Fuego
12/10/2011, 11:49 PM
Have them chase and tackle Hogs like the Selmons use to do in Eufaula.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/forever33/Hog.jpg

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah....the hogs sound good to me.

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2011, 12:04 AM
Job #1 is to get the players to really care and not channel the fans (who clearly don't). I know a bowl is suppose to reward the seniors and also give good experience to the returning players. I might consider giving the returning players a bigger role with the implication that it reflects on next year's depth chart. But I don't know if that would be taken as a slap in the face to the seniors.

Outside the motivation question, I think you did a good job of outlining the challenge the team faces. Almost every key we used to get those 9 wins is either missing or less than 100% healthy. I don't have any great suggestions other than to say we should still have more talent if the coaches get all the available pieces playing together in 15 practices.

rainiersooner
12/11/2011, 12:05 AM
clearly, i would start by firing venables.

VA Sooner
12/11/2011, 12:36 AM
Job #1 is to get the players to really care and not channel the fans (who clearly don't). I know a bowl is suppose to reward the seniors and also give good experience to the returning players. I might consider giving the returning players a bigger role with the implication that it reflects on next year's depth chart. But I don't know if that would be taken as a slap in the face to the seniors.

Outside the motivation question, I think you did a good job of outlining the challenge the team faces. Almost every key we used to get those 9 wins is either missing or less than 100% healthy. I don't have any great suggestions other than to say we should still have more talent if the coaches get all the available pieces playing together in 15 practices.

I like the thought of getting next year's returning players into the game more... perhaps starting the seniors but yank them early and put in the backups/young ones for several series and getting the fire lit under their butts. Motivation will be the biggest challenge getting up for this bowl game with the way this season ended and with injuries to key players starting to set in to the psyche of our remaining players.

One of my colleagues at work is a Hawkeye and it will be very unpleasant at work if the Hawkeyes find a way to win.

IBleedCrimson
12/11/2011, 12:50 AM

and maybe chasing a chicken

AoEEPoBwf7Y

hawaii 5-0
12/11/2011, 12:55 AM
I just hope Jimmy Stevens is healed up and ready to go.
We're gonna need some of those short line drive kicks.

5-0

LostCreekSooner
12/11/2011, 06:12 AM
I think we see more running with Millard / Finch than expected. Not sure about the offensive game planning. OSU said they were going to line up and force us to pass. Josh changes all the plays to take advantage of what they 'give us'... But we couldn't execute well enough to make them pay. Missed blocks, dropped passes, and return of old happy feet. Wonder if Iowa will need to sell the house to stop the run and employ a similar defense?

SoonerorLater
12/11/2011, 10:16 AM

Yes agree 100% fire Brent Venables. Beyond that I have no idea.

budbarrybob
12/11/2011, 10:22 AM
I hear the Waterboy still has a year of eligibility.

soonercoop1
12/11/2011, 10:34 AM
Even with this limited team OU should still smoke this very average Iowa team...as long as the D can stop the run they will have shut down Iowas O and no way Iowas D can stop even a limited OU O...seriously this is the Big10...

badger
12/11/2011, 10:59 AM
I think we should lift weights like Texas does.

Jacie
12/11/2011, 11:00 AM
Iowa was held to 21 points or less in four of their five losses with only the game against Iowa State being a shootout, 41-44. Other losses were to Penn State, Minnesota, Michigan State and Nebraska, so two of their five losses were to teams not ranked in the Top 25. They did not play Ohio State or Wisconsin.

Their QB, James Vandenberg was second in the Big 10 in yards passing/game (233.8) and was third in total passing yards (2306), throwing for 23 TD's, 6 INT's and was sacked 26 times.

Iowa went 1-3 vs Top 25, beating Tennessee Tech, Pittsburg, La-Monroe, Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan and Purdue. The Hawkeye defense stopped Michigan from tying the game on four attempts from the three-yard line to preserve the win, however, all four plays were passes since there was not enough time for Michigan to stop the clock on a failed rushing attempt.

Playing against Big 10 teams they were more conservative offensively than Oklahoma and have not faced a spread or prolific passing team like OU, OSU or Baylor.

Comparing the teams offensive stats:

OU - 40.3 ppg
IU - 28.7 ppg

OU - 4381 total passing yards
IU - 2836 total passing yards

OU - 2004 total rushing yards
IU - 1714 total rushing yards

OU - 523.1 ypg
IU - 379.2 ypg

They are more balanced on offense than Oklahoma, thus, a low-scoring game is going to favor the Hawkeyes.

yermom
12/11/2011, 12:17 PM
our seasonal stats don't mean much when most of the guys that accounted for them aren't going to be playing

hawaii 5-0
12/11/2011, 12:29 PM
I like the idea of Millard at tailback and putting Finch in the slot. Get Finch one on one with a LB.

5-0

trwxxa
12/11/2011, 12:33 PM
1. Any Senior wishing to opt-out of the game can do so. None will, but offer it up. No sense in getting hurt now.
2. First string takes the scout team reps in practice and is pulled after the first quarter of the game.
3. Remaining players get the majority of the practice reps and have 3 quarters to show what they can do. Call it a prelude to the spring.

EatLeadCommie
12/11/2011, 12:41 PM
We should've declined the bowl invitation to whatever this bowl game is called and healed up for next year. That's how you deal with it. That's how you deal with a season of failure.

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2011, 12:56 PM
We should've declined the bowl invitation to whatever this bowl game is called and healed up for next year. That's how you deal with it. That's how you deal with a season of failure.

That would certainly go against conventional wisdom that bowl practice is a plus for the next season.

Jacie
12/11/2011, 01:14 PM
Four of Iowa's five losses were on the road.

OU's field goal kicker, Mike Hunnicutt, is 20-23 on the year while Iowa's Mike Myer is 14-20, so it would seem the advantage in a game coming down to a kick for the win favors the Sooners.

Who the Sooner defense must key on: Iowa RB, Marcus Coker, averages 23 carries per game. No other back on the team has 20 carries total. The Big 10's best WR of the year was Iowa's Marvin McNutt.

ELC, I guess you won't be watching the game since you consider the Sooner's 9-3 record a season of failure. I am glad the team and the staff will have an opportunity to start building towards next year with the extra practice time.

soonercastor
12/11/2011, 02:51 PM
Comparing the teams offensive stats:

OU - 40.3 ppg
IU - 28.7 ppg

OU - 4381 total passing yards
IU - 2836 total passing yards

OU - 2004 total rushing yards
IU - 1714 total rushing yards

OU - 523.1 ypg
IU - 379.2 ypg

They are more balanced on offense than Oklahoma, thus, a low-scoring game is going to favor the Hawkeyes.

All those stats and you omitted the stat that actually is more representative of balance on offense...

yermom
12/11/2011, 03:13 PM

i sure would hate to end up with 10 wins this year. that would suck.

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 03:16 PM
i sure would hate to end up with 10 wins this year. that would suck.

He thinks he gets a vote.....lol

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 03:18 PM

Every time I go near that place there isn't anyone there. I think it's just a recruiting tool.....LOL

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/genrel/auto_wide/1592527.jpeg

There was this one day where I saw some folks hitting it hard....

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d7/unsecured/media/1079349493/1079349493_24909090001_vs-1079349493-vid24901985001-img0000.jpg?pubId=1079349493

ocsooner
12/11/2011, 03:19 PM
saxeT lifts weights????? Hope nobody else figures that out. Wait, do you think oswho does that too?

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 03:22 PM
You just don't get huge muscles like these if you aren't working out. :D

http://thesportsreportgirl.com/BLOG%20PICS/oklahoma_sooners_hot_girls.jpg

revelladee
12/11/2011, 03:24 PM
Well, dang, guys.....bought my bowl tickets.....driving from Atlanta, TX (Far as you can get in East Texas) to Tempe....and I really Want THESE SOONERS to pull out a win in the game!!! Whatever it takes, do it....do you know how hard it's been for us texas SOONER fans to hear about our team...it will be a long off season getting all the grief from all Texas and Baylor fans should the sooners lose this bowl game....they have to have some pride ...c'mon...bring home a win to build on!!!!

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 03:25 PM
I heard Venables just ordered some serious new equipment for the guys.

http://www.recrooms.com/images/Backend/sportsfans/OKL/9000okl.jpg

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 03:26 PM
Well, dang, guys.....bought my bowl tickets.....driving from Atlanta, TX (Far as you can get in East Texas) to Tempe....and I really Want THESE SOONERS to pull out a win in the game!!! Whatever it takes, do it....do you know how hard it's been for us texas SOONER fans to hear about our team...it will be a long off season getting all the grief from all Texas and Baylor fans should the sooners lose this bowl game....they have to have some pride ...c'mon...bring home a win to build on!!!!

How hard could it be? Is Mack still in Austin?

Put some of these babies on yOUr rearview mirror.

http://www.shoppingwarehouse.net/images/product/ab/5_284249.jpg

SoonerorLater
12/11/2011, 03:40 PM

Anymore no coach will turn down a bowl game. They can't afford to. This gives them two extra weeks of practice with the team that they other wise wouldn't get. I hope Bob Stoops uses part of to sow the seeds for the changes we need to make next year.

swardboy
12/11/2011, 04:28 PM
Get some wide-butt to replace Rip, and run that Belldozer ALL NIGHT LONG. Unstoppable.

VA Sooner
12/11/2011, 05:40 PM
Four of Iowa's five losses were on the road.

OU's field goal kicker, Mike Hunnicutt, is 20-23 on the year while Iowa's Mike Myer is 14-20, so it would seem the advantage in a game coming down to a kick for the win favors the Sooners.

Who the Sooner defense must key on: Iowa RB, Marcus Coker, averages 23 carries per game. No other back on the team has 20 carries total. The Big 10's best WR of the year was Iowa's Marvin McNutt.

ELC, I guess you won't be watching the game since you consider the Sooner's 9-3 record a season of failure. I am glad the team and the staff will have an opportunity to start building towards next year with the extra practice time.

I didn't realize Coker was THE running back for the Hawkeyes. Sounds like Virginia Tech in giving their every down back the bulk of the workload. Hmm.... I need to find some of their games this year to see what they did. Thanks for the stats...

VA Sooner
12/11/2011, 05:43 PM
That would certainly go against conventional wisdom that bowl practice is a plus for the next season.

Agree... the extra 15 practices may be huge in building for next year as well. Passing up on a bowl game was foolish of Penn State... kids there right now had nothing to do with the scandal and shouldn't be told to stay home during bowl season because of it.

En_Fuego
12/11/2011, 05:52 PM
:twinkies:

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 06:37 PM
Woody Harrelson Approves.

TUSooner
12/11/2011, 06:39 PM
a fired-up ________ team that would love nothing better than to . . . knock down Stoops and the Sooners in a bowl game knowing that the __________'s coaches know how to get their kids ready.

That looked like a good description of some recent OU Fiasco Bowls, and it gave me a bad feeling in my stomach.

8timechamps
12/11/2011, 06:41 PM
1. Any Senior wishing to opt-out of the game can do so. None will, but offer it up. No sense in getting hurt now.
2. First string takes the scout team reps in practice and is pulled after the first quarter of the game.
3. Remaining players get the majority of the practice reps and have 3 quarters to show what they can do. Call it a prelude to the spring.

This is why the current bowl system is so worthless. 20 years ago, this probably wouldn't even be a thought (not that the coaches are actually considering it), but lets face it, there is almost nothing for OU to gain from this game. I know it's a reward, and I'm even going to the game, but there are so many bowls now, it's defeated the purpose.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/11/2011, 06:50 PM
There is really no reason for us to expect anything positive out of this game. This team is damaged goods psychologically. The Sun Bowl against Stanford was supposed to be a springboard to good things in 2010. And it fairly was. And then being Big XII Champs and winning a BCS games was supposed to be a springboard to GREAT things in 2011. Epic fail.

So now you are going to try and sell these kids, who play like they are completely burned out, by the way, that this bowl game can be a springboard to really good things in 2012? In other words, "Hey guys, let's start all over again next year."

Good luck getting that to fly, when Iowa is the motivated team. They are going in (I've talked to a number of Iowa folks at work) genuinely excited that they get to play and maybe get a win against OU. In Soonerville everyone, and I mean everyone, is bemoaning the fact that we have to go play in Arizona again against a blah team like Iowa. Add to that Ferentz is excellent about getting his team ready to play against so-called "superior" competition in bowl games.

With that being the state of things it will take a minor miracle for OU to win this one. I expect a "disaster in the desert" much like we had against BYU in the '94 Copper Bowl. I would say the mood right now is virtually identical.

The only thing that will spice this game up and ramp up interest for both us as fans and, I fear, the players, is if Stoops overhauls the staff before the bowl game so that we have the bowl practices to freshen things up and a purpose of truly preparing for next year with a revitalized staff.

8timechamps
12/11/2011, 06:56 PM
There is really no reason for us to expect anything positive out of this game. This team is damaged goods psychologically. The Sun Bowl against Stanford was supposed to be a springboard to good things in 2010. And it fairly was. And then being Big XII Champs and winning a BCS games was supposed to be a springboard to GREAT things in 2011. Epic fail.

So now you are going to try and sell these kids, who play like they are completely burned out, by the way, that this bowl game can be a springboard to really good things in 2012? In other words, "Hey guys, let's start all over again next year."

Good luck getting that to fly, when Iowa is the motivated team. They are going in (I've talked to a number of Iowa folks at work) genuinely excited that they get to play and maybe get a win against OU. In Soonerville everyone, and I mean everyone, is bemoaning the fact that we have to go play in Arizona again against a blah team like Iowa. Add to that Ferentz is excellent about getting his team ready to play against so-called "superior" competition in bowl games.

With that being the state of things it will take a minor miracle for OU to win this one. I expect a "disaster in the desert" much like we had against BYU in the '94 Copper Bowl. I would say the mood right now is virtually identical.

The only thing that will spice this game up and ramp up interest for both us as fans and, I fear, the players, is if Stoops overhauls the staff before the bowl game so that we have the bowl practices to freshen things up and a purpose of truly preparing for next year with a revitalized staff.

There is no doubt this is a big game for Iowa, and there is no extra motivation needed for them.

As a fan, I like bowl games, so I am in to it. As a player, this game will tell us what the psychological resolve of this team really is all about. Unfortunately, we already saw some of that in Stillwater. I hope the younger guys get some playing time and am trusting that Stoops is using the extra weeks of practice to set the tone for next year.

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2011, 07:06 PM
There is really no reason for us to expect anything positive out of this game. This team is damaged goods psychologically. The Sun Bowl against Stanford was supposed to be a springboard to good things in 2010. And it fairly was...

I was with you there and then you lost me. This is very similar situation to the Sun Bowl: minor bowl, but make the best of it and try to have a positive going into next year.

Yep. That part of the coaches job - there's always next year. And for many players, this is all new and '09 was ancient history or they were not here yet. It's fine for fans to be all cynical looking back over several seasons and say "why even bother". The first hint that a coach looks at it that way, it's time for him to go.

Sooner_Tuf
12/11/2011, 07:18 PM
I suspect the teams view this a little differently than a bunch of dissappointed fans do. The Sooners have just as much to be motivated about as the Hawkeyes do. It's crazy to think otherwise.

A ten win season with a bowl win is not an epic fail. A team that takes the chance of a conference title to the final week of the season is not a fail. I agree it is not what most people's expectation was but it is still a better than decent season.

Of course we all have to wait and watch the game but I expect the Sooners to beat Iowa. It may not happen but as they say "That's why they play the game".

I don't expect Ferentz to have his team better prepared to play than Oklahoma will. What I don't get is all the respect Ferentz gets nationally. Take a minute and look at his record as a head coach. He's not terrible but he's no shining star. Ask him what he would think of a ten win season.

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 07:18 PM

That's just a bunch of horse****. Those kids have more faith in themselves than that. You are absolutely 100% wrong about that. I played sports and really did have some bad Coaches sometimes but I didn't play for them. I played for my Team and myself. Even if a Coach is leaving do to some Sex Scandal like Penn State, players step up to prove that people like you are wrong. These guys have some players hurt and some who let the Team down. The guys that didn't get to play this year will see opportunity and the ones that are coming back will encourage the guys that want a chance at a starting spot.

Your logic is flawed. This is nothing about revitalizing the Coaches. It's to prove that they aren't what you and a bunch of others think is a bad Team with bad Coaching. These kids didn't come to OU to lose ball games.

KantoSooner
12/12/2011, 09:29 AM
Maybe this is a chance for the sooners to play like a team that is being shat upon and disrespected as losers and beaten in their own heads.
It might not be pretty or terribly honorable, but I'd take an angry and vicious OU squad right about now.
And, if we do get ahead of Iowa, I'd really, really like our coaching staff to turn a blind eye to mercy and run the score up to something like 125-3.
I want to see OU actually try to put a whipping on somebody for a change. Up by a bunch and throwing hail marys with 00:30 to go in the game.
We've got players; and they need red meat.

tator
12/12/2011, 09:42 AM
If the players have trouble getting competitive for a bowl game, they are more spoiled than the fans are.

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2011, 09:59 AM
If the players have trouble getting competitive for a bowl game, they are more spoiled than the fans are.

Yep. It's amazing how the fans are projecting their feelings onto the players.

SoonerSpock
12/12/2011, 10:40 AM
Even with this limited team OU should still smoke this very average Iowa team...as long as the D can stop the run they will have shut down Iowas O and no way Iowas D can stop even a limited OU O...seriously this is the Big10...

Similar to how the Red Raiders held the Sooners to 10 points less than they averaged allowing in B12 conference games. Should the Hawkeyes do the same OU will score only 13 points. The Insight Bowl is not a gimme for the Sooners.

Jayfree
12/12/2011, 10:42 AM
Belldozer and Finch. The whole game. Just have everybody else take a seat.

SouthFortySooner
12/12/2011, 02:20 PM
Have the band play Boomer Sooner. A lot.

VA Sooner
12/12/2011, 02:32 PM
I suspect the teams view this a little differently than a bunch of dissappointed fans do. The Sooners have just as much to be motivated about as the Hawkeyes do. It's crazy to think otherwise.

A ten win season with a bowl win is not an epic fail. A team that takes the chance of a conference title to the final week of the season is not a fail. I agree it is not what most people's expectation was but it is still a better than decent season.

Of course we all have to wait and watch the game but I expect the Sooners to beat Iowa. It may not happen but as they say "That's why they play the game".

I don't expect Ferentz to have his team better prepared to play than Oklahoma will. What I don't get is all the respect Ferentz gets nationally. Take a minute and look at his record as a head coach. He's not terrible but he's no shining star. Ask him what he would think of a ten win season.

Agreed. He's a decent coach and he does well with the kids he can recruit to Iowa City. Will have to wait and see with the bowl game but I suspect we have kids eager to prove themselves as well.

VA Sooner
12/12/2011, 02:33 PM
Maybe this is a chance for the sooners to play like a team that is being shat upon and disrespected as losers and beaten in their own heads.
It might not be pretty or terribly honorable, but I'd take an angry and vicious OU squad right about now.
And, if we do get ahead of Iowa, I'd really, really like our coaching staff to turn a blind eye to mercy and run the score up to something like 125-3.
I want to see OU actually try to put a whipping on somebody for a change. Up by a bunch and throwing hail marys with 00:30 to go in the game.
We've got players; and they need red meat.

KS... I would love to see this... hungry players on the field and getting that killer instinct back again.

cccasooner2
12/12/2011, 03:13 PM
Yep. It's amazing how the fans are projecting their feelings onto the players.

LOL, gawd, I'm so glad a bunch of whining loser fans are not suiting up for the game, that would be certain defeat. I am sure the team will be happy and ready to play.

WileyCoyote
12/12/2011, 06:41 PM
I have read all these posts and I think it has distilled a plan in my mind.

#1 - Leading up to the game, I like the "Hog Wrestling" for training. But it has to be done in Eufala.

#2 - Fire Venables, Hire "The Boz".

#3 - Get Barry Switzer to lead the team on the field dressed in a Burger King "King" outfit, that should put fear into them just before kickoff.

#4 - See if Holloway or Lott have any eligiblity left, they have to be better than Landry at running for their life.

#5 - If #4 isn't possible, come up with a new offensive game plan built around the "Dozerooskie". It has 2 plays. The "Belldozer" and the "Fumblerooskie". They won't know what hit them after 2 series.

#6 - Hire a voodoo queen to bring back "Sooner Majic".

Gimmeee a break. (I still like the post about the Selmon's best. You had to be there.)

Jacie
12/12/2011, 07:22 PM
Add to that Ferentz is excellent about getting his team ready to play against so-called "superior" competition in bowl games.

The book on Kirk Ferentz in bowl games:

December 29, 2001
Alamo Bowl W Texas Tech 19 16

January 2, 2003
Orange Bowl L Southern California 17 38

January 1, 2004
Outback Bowl W Florida 37 17

January 1, 2005
Capital One Bowl W LSU 30 25

January 2, 2006
Outback Bowl L Florida 24 31

December 29, 2006
Alamo Bowl L Texas 24 26

January 1, 2009
Outback Bowl W South Carolina 31 10

January 5, 2010
Orange Bowl W Georgia Tech 24 14

December 28, 2010
Insight Bowl W Missouri 27 24

6-3 overall
1-1 in BCS bowls
2-1 vs. teams from the Big XII
He also has done something Bob has not, beaten LSU and Florida in a bowl game. Like Bob, he lost to USC in one.

The book on Bob Stoops in bowl games:

6-6 overall
2-5 in BCS bowls
Has not faced any teams from the Big 10
He has done something Kirk has not, beaten sa*et (8 times in 13 games, though they were conference games, not bowls)

Bob and Kirk started at their respective schools the same year. Bob has taken Oklahoma bowling every year. Kirk has taken Iowa bowling 9 times in 13 seasons.

BoulderSooner79
12/12/2011, 07:32 PM
I still remember that crazy Iowa win against LSU. LSU blew a coverage on the last play and Iowa hit a long pass to win it. The receiver was a senior backup player and that was his first and last TD catch of his college career. Iowa was underdog in that game (Saban's last at LSU) as well several others they won.

VA Sooner
12/12/2011, 08:04 PM
I still remember that crazy Iowa win against LSU. LSU blew a coverage on the last play and Iowa hit a long pass to win it. The receiver was a senior backup player and that was his first and last TD catch of his college career. Iowa was underdog in that game (Saban's last at LSU) as well several others they won.

I remember that game too... I was in the hospital holding my daughter who had just been born 3 hours prior and thinking what an amazing day... what an amazing game. And everyone else in the room was asleep. :pride:

cccasooner2
12/12/2011, 09:20 PM
The book on Kirk Ferentz in bowl games:............................................ .........................
............... Like Bob, he lost to USC in one. .

Both loses were to the AP national champions. :D

Sooner_Tuf
12/12/2011, 09:40 PM
Kirk Ferentz's bowl record is good but consider the bowls played in and the opponents records in those years. Takes a little shine off.

He is 96-65 Overall (57-47 in conference).

1999 1-10 0-8 conference
2000 3-9 3-5 conference
2001 7-5 4-4 conference
2002 11-2 8-0 conference
2003 10-3 5-3 conference
2004 10-2 7-1 conference
2005 7-5 5-3 conference
2006 6-7 2-6 conference
2007 6-6 4-4 conference
2008 9-4 5-3 conference
2009 11-2 6-2 conference
2010 8-5 4-4 conference
2011 7-5 4-4 conference

He has one BCS win (1-1 Orange Bowl)
1-1 Alamo Bowl
2-1 Outback Bowl
1 Capital One Victory
1 Insight Victory last year
Did not go to a Bowl Game three years.

Not bad but he's no Bob Stoops.

As a head coach he's 108-86 overall. Including his three years at Maine where he was 12-21, 8-16 in the Yankee Conference.

soonerinbixby
12/13/2011, 12:48 PM
More carries to Millard would be greatly appreciated. This guy makes 1st all conference and seldom is used. I understand that Heupel is a qb and is going to be pass happy but I would line Millard back there and hand him the ball. He is a good enough athlete to play rb against Iowa if we can get any push at all up front. Those little passes to Millard out in the flat work pretty well if my mind serves me correctly. We just need to get Millard more involved in the game. He is a great talent that is being wasted to a certain degree.

goingoneight
12/13/2011, 01:05 PM
Do what we failed to do against OSU. Run the damn ball, stop putting the entire season on Landry Jones. He's good, but he can't be superman every single game. I-formation sets... it's time to scrap the cutesy pistol formation that the powerhouse UNLV gave us. We may be thin; but we're still really talented at RB and Millard in that sense is misused. Ask AD how much he liked having JD lead the way.

Defensively, press cover their receivers and aim to stop the run. Don't let another mediocre team light us up.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/13/2011, 09:33 PM
Now that Jaz Reynolds, Brandon Williams, and Aaron Ripkowski are out on offense and Ronnell Lewis and Frank Alexander may or may not be 100% on defense...

what would you football-savvy types do as coaches to get this team ready to play a fired-up Iowa team that would love nothing better than to help Firentz knock down Stoops and the Sooners in a bowl game knowing that the Hawkeyes have a very impressive bowl record and their coaches know how to get their kids ready.

Who do you start and where?
What do you slip into the playbook?
What new schemes do you bring in?
What do you bring to stop Iowa and their decent offense?

Just curious what we have left on the shelf and how folks would best utilize the talent we have in our bowl game to get us through an off-season that will be filled with even more questions. I'm not a coach and my arm-chair quarterbacking abilities have gotten me nowhere this year.

Your entire question is out of bounds and not allowed. This is the bitching, whining, crying, criticizing fans message board - only posts criticizing our coaches, our players, the referees, the weather, and whatever else is allowed on SF.com

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2011, 10:23 PM
Your entire question is out of bounds and not allowed. This is the bitching, whining, crying, criticizing fans message board - only posts criticizing our coaches, our players, the referees, the weather, and whatever else is allowed on SF.com

I agree, but you just bumped this irrelevant, game related thread. But no worries, it will drift off the front page in no time.