PDA

View Full Version : RG3 Heisman

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 10:44 PM
Isn't our defense suppose to ruin players chances at winning the Heisman instead of helping them win it?

Just a thought.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:06 PM
Isn't our defense suppose to ruin players chances at winning the Heisman instead of helping them win it?

Just a thought.

It usually does. Every now and then a squirrel gets a nut. By Squirrel I mean SicEm.

IBleedCrimson
12/10/2011, 11:09 PM
Good Lawd

Instead of talking about RG3's ballerness, you convert his accomplishments into another OU sucks thread.

Words like "perspective," "injuries," and "90s" get tossed around way too much during underwhelming seasons like this, but seriously... you need a litte perspective coupled with some understanding of how injuries affect football teams and then some tapes of OU football during the 90s.

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2011, 11:11 PM
An awesome player.
An awesome scholar-athlete
An awesome human being.
An awesome Bear.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:16 PM
Good Lord.

Instead of talking about RG3's ballerness, you convert his accomplishments into another OU sucks thread.

Words like "perspective," "injuries," and "90s" get tossed around way too much during underwhelming seasons like this, but seriously... get some.

You are on the money. He did win two games after he pulled out a win by the seat of his *** on us. Some folks seem to think he slaughtered us. Landry really had an incredible game against the one man band. I'm sure the folks who think our Defense didn't show up see if much differently but they did try to stop them on the last series and get the Game into OT. If it wasn't for the shove off in the EZ on the last play....it would have gone to OT. Sometimes things aren't in the cards and if you leave a Team like they were this year in the Game at the end....you can always be wishing you had played them tougher early on in the Game like we are now.

hawaii 5-0
12/10/2011, 11:22 PM
I missed the show. Did he thank OU for making him look good?

5-0

VA Sooner
12/10/2011, 11:24 PM
He deserved the award... would have been a close one without the win against OUr team but he showed moxie in the last drive and he finished the season with good wins. He deserves it... I'm more interested in seeing how our players respond with this bowl game coming up.

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 11:24 PM
Good Lawd

Words like "perspective," "injuries," and "90s" get tossed around way too much during underwhelming seasons like this, but seriously... you need a litte perspective coupled with some understanding of how injuries affect football teams and then some tapes of OU football during the 90s.

Years ago when Gibbs was coaching and was on the hot seat for winning only 66% of his games, Beano Cook did a segment about who has the toughest fans in college football. He talked about Miami, ND then he said but, those fans in Oklahoma think they should win every game. I was telling a fellow OU fan friend of mine about what Beano said and he looks at me and says, well yeah and???, it's about time someone understands! It summed up OU football for me, we expect the best, the very best. Giving up a SCHOOL RECORD FOR YARDS TO BAYLOR IS NOT THE VERY BEST! It is time for a change, Venables is embarrassing the program. PERIOD. And I am sick of it.

Barry won a national championship with our thrid string center starting because we had THREE starters on the O-line injuried! I have perspective, we pay Bobby one of the highest salaries in the country to field one of the best, no THE best team in the country. How many years are we going to take the injuiry excuse?

OUinFLA
12/10/2011, 11:26 PM
Congrats to RG3
He joins a special group.

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 11:27 PM
You are on the money. He did win two games after he pulled out a win by the seat of his *** on us. Some folks seem to think he slaughtered us. Landry really had an incredible game against the one man band. I'm sure the folks who think our Defense didn't show up see if much differently but they did try to stop them on the last series and get the Game into OT. If it wasn't for the shove off in the EZ on the last play....it would have gone to OT. Sometimes things aren't in the cards and if you leave a Team like they were this year in the Game at the end....you can always be wishing you had played them tougher early on in the Game like we are now.

Remind me how many times they had wide open receivers running free in the secondary. Play after play after play after play. How many dropped or overthrown passes would have gone for td's on top of the 3 or 4 he threw anyway?

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2011, 11:30 PM
Years ago when Gibbs was coaching and was on the hot seat for winning only 66% of his games, Beano Cook did a segment about who has the toughest fans in college football. He talked about Miami, ND then he said but, those fans in Oklahoma think they should win every game. I was telling a fellow OU fan friend of mine about what Beano said and he looks at me and says, well yeah and???, it's about time someone understands! It summed up OU football for me, we expect the best, the very best. Giving up a SCHOOL RECORD FOR YARDS TO BAYLOR IS NOT THE VERY BEST! It is time for a change, Venables is embarrassing the program. PERIOD. And I am sick of it.

Barry won a national championship with our thrid string center starting because we had THREE starters on the O-line injuried! I have perspective, we pay Bobby one of the highest salaries in the country to field one of the best, no THE best team in the country. How many years are we going to take the injuiry excuse?

So you're saying congrats to RG3, I take it.

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 11:31 PM
So you're saying congrats to RG3, I take it.

I'm saying it's embarrasing seeing highlights of the Heismen throphy winner burning our defense again and again.

KU did a better job on him than we did, at least they held him in check for three quarters we did for ZERO quarters!

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:32 PM
Watch the shove off by Williams. Stills got one for just pushing a bit with his hand behind his back during a play he beat the Baylor defender with his feet and an amazing change of direction with his body. Becaue kenny even touched the guy....they called a pass back. You can watch it all on the replay. it's there.

The Williams Catch should have been called interference. It wasn't so, no OT.

You can say it's sad to call foul on the play if you want.....but it's just as bad for a OU Fan to think that Griffin beat us with his pure talent. It's just not true. He did beat us with his feet and keep his Team in the game when his WRs couldn't get open but we nearly took that game to OT. Had the play gone our way....we could have very well lost in OT and Griffin could have still won the Heisman tonight.....but it also could have turned out as an impressive try to upset if it had gone to OT as well.

You can see the shove off. it's there if you really watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U8yGmOEHOo&feature=related

GDC
12/10/2011, 11:33 PM

Just a thought.

Eric Crouch comes to mind. Vinnie Testaverde?

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 11:34 PM
Watch the shove off by Williams. Stills got one for just pushing a bit with his hand behind his back during a play he beat the Baylor defender with his feet and an amazing change of direction with his body. Becaue kenny even touched the guy....they called a pass back. You can watch it all on the replay. it's there.

The Williams Catch should have been called interference. It wasn't so, no OT.

You can say it's sad to call foul on the play if you want.....but it's just as bad for a OU Fan to think that Griffin beat us with his pure talent. It's just not true. He did beat us with his feet and keep his Team in the game when his WRs couldn't get open but we nearly took that game to OT. Had the play gone our way....we could have very well lost in OT and Griffin could have still won the Heisman tonight.....but it also could have turned out as an impressive try to upset if it had gone to OT as well.

You can see the shove off. it's there if you really watch.

One play did not lose this game, again how many times did they have receivers running free in the secondary? Post some clips of Bob and Brent screaming at our DB's. The whole country was laughing at us. A push off that was not called and you have to "really watch it" is just an excuse for losing!

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2011, 11:35 PM
I'm saying it's embarrasing seeing highlights of the Heismen throphy winner burning our defense again and again.

KU did a better job on him than we did, at least they held him in check for three quarters we did for ZERO quarters!

I am not embarrassed because that makes no sense. Glad to see RG3 get the statue instead of the big names.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:39 PM

KU was a Road Game for Baylor and KU was fighting like hell to keep from being the bottom dweller in the Big XII this year and it was their last Home game as they play Mizzou in Arrowhead this year instead of in Lawrence. It of course failed and they ended up losing every Conference Game they played and went 2-10 overall.

It's so easy to go find things to compare that really have nothing to do with OU playing Baylor.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:40 PM
One play did not lose this game, again how many times did they have receivers running free in the secondary? Post some clips of Bob and Brent screaming at our DB's. The whole country was laughing at us. A push off that was not called and you have to "really watch it" is just an excuse for losing!

The hell it didn't. Did you watch the damn game? We came back to tie this game up and rally a win. You are just wrong.

You seem to be a guy with very little personal fortitude I guess. Do you really worry about the Whole Country laughing at us? I mean....you aren't out there playing. What the hell is wrong with you? You still aren't over this yet? Just go back and review the damn game.

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by ictsooner7

I am not embarrassed because that makes no sense. Glad to see RG3 get the statue instead of the big names.

OK, I should have said it's embarrasing to have highlights of pitiful play of our secondary the Heismen throphy show and helping the RG3 win it.

SicEmBaylor
12/10/2011, 11:41 PM

Dude, you're mellowing my high.

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 11:42 PM
KU was a Road Game for Baylor and KU was fighting like hell to keep from being the bottom dweller in the Big XII this year and it was their last Home game as they play Mizzou in Arrowhead this year instead of in Lawrence. It of course failed and they ended up losing every Conference Game they played and went 2-10 overall.

It's so easy to go find things to compare that really have nothing to do with OU playing Baylor.

More excuses. Read closely, bottow dweller at home........we are OKLAHOMA not KU or Texas.....our standards are higher and if they are not we have a HUGE problem!

Soonerus
12/10/2011, 11:42 PM
It was either RG3 or Luck, thus I am glad RG3 won it...

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2011, 11:43 PM

And you are a liar! :smiley_simmons:

ictsooner7
12/10/2011, 11:43 PM

That is exactly how I feel about our defense.

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2011, 11:45 PM

I really like both those guys and was just glad Richardson didn't win. Nothing wrong with him, but Bama is still 11-1 without him. RGIII and Luck made their respective teams.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:47 PM

I'm indifferent as I think he definitely wouldn't have got it if it wasn't for pulling out two OT wins this year. He's very lucky things went his way. If you don't think luck didn't have a bit to do with his getting this award....I beg you to watch this. It's just pure luck and even he had to take a knee on that one as it could have very well popped into OU's hands. It didn't. It got tipped in the direction of an open player and just stands as an example of how you can just be on a roll sometimes no matter how good the folks you are playing are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFbd8cCZenQ&feature=related

Salt City Sooner
12/10/2011, 11:48 PM
Eric Crouch comes to mind. Vinnie Testaverde?
and Earl Campbell, and Marcus Allen, and Mike Rozier, and Barry Sanders, and Rashaan Salaam, and Ricky Williams, and Matt Leinart.....

It's amazing that occasionally, other teams have players that actually stand up to almighty OU.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:49 PM

If I have to chose between a Big XII guy or a Pac10/12 guy....RGIII wins by a landslide.

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2011, 11:55 PM
I'm indifferent as I think he definitely wouldn't have got it if it wasn't for pulling out two OT wins this year. He's very lucky things went his way. If you don't think luck didn't have a bit to do with his getting this award....I beg you to watch this. It's just pure luck and even he had to take a knee on that one as it could have very well popped into OU's hands. It didn't. It got tipped in the direction of an open player and just stands as an example of how you can just be on a roll sometimes no matter how good the folks you are playing are.

Sure he had good fortune, but he also had great stats for the year. That particular play actually showed me something because he clearly displayed afterward (by body language) that is was pure luck. He wasn't jumping around and body-bumping like he just did something great like many a doosh-nozzle would.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/11/2011, 12:19 AM
Congrats Sic em!

I'm sincerely am glad he won it. He deserved it.

sooneron
12/11/2011, 12:26 AM
He's a good kid and a heck of a player. I'm glad he won it.

Regardless of the lucky play, it was just the balance swinging his way for earlier when he hit his receiver perfectly for a should be score, only to see the guy flat out drop it.

sooneron
12/11/2011, 12:27 AM
I meant

HE'S A GOOD KID!!! [hairGel]

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 12:48 AM
Sure he had good fortune, but he also had great stats for the year. That particular play actually showed me something because he clearly displayed afterward (by body language) that is was pure luck. He wasn't jumping around and body-bumping like he just did something great like many a doosh-nozzle would.

LMFAO.

ictsooner7
12/11/2011, 12:49 AM

Unbelievable, you showed two plays from a 100 plays and you claim one was a push off, which it wasn't and one was luck, which it was. Now show the 5-6-7 times that Baylor receivers were running past our secondary on their way to touchdowns or had the ball dropped or overthrown. Poor defense not luck, nor nonexistent penalties lost that game and handed RG3 the Heismen. We played like KU did in the fourth quarter.

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 12:50 AM
He's a good kid and a heck of a player. I'm glad he won it.

Regardless of the lucky play, it was just the balance swinging his way for earlier when he hit his receiver perfectly for a should be score, only to see the guy flat out drop it.

Which only serves to strengthen my position that he's just really had a good year and the reason the others lost is because they failed to win out so he basically won a popularity contest like Tebow did the year he won.

ictsooner7
12/11/2011, 12:52 AM
and Earl Campbell, and Marcus Allen, and Mike Rozier, and Barry Sanders, and Rashaan Salaam, and Ricky Williams, and Matt Leinart.....

It's amazing that occasionally, other teams have players that actually stand up to almighty OU.

FIRST Leinart already won the throphy before we played them, Gary Gibbs was fired after Salaam won his Heismen. How many of these games do you think we played great defense in?

hawaii 5-0
12/11/2011, 12:53 AM
I have no problem with RGIII winning the Heisman this year. It's supposed to be awarded to the Outstanding Football Player and this season RGIII was outstanding.

5-0

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 12:58 AM
Unbelievable, you showed two plays from a 100 plays and you claim one was a push off, which it wasn't and one was luck, which it was. Now show the 5-6-7 times that Baylor receivers were running past our secondary on their way to touchdowns or had the ball dropped or overthrown. Poor defense not luck, nor nonexistent penalties lost that game and handed RG3 the Heismen. We played like KU did in the fourth quarter.

I made note of the Stills play to prove that the refs should have made the call and sent the game into OT. OU was rallying and RGIII got help to ice the game. If you want to do an entire review of the damn game I'm OK with that approach too as it was tied until the last drive. Your weak original statement is why I responded and now you want to change tactics to make the argument go your way. Again. Very weak. We just aren't that bad on Defense. We were actually about like we have been from year to year except for when we were really really great. Get a grip and Sooner Up.

Red
12/11/2011, 01:07 AM
Saw him in '08 when we played against Baylor and left there knowing he was going to be a superstar one day. Just kind of wish he didn't have a statement game against us :P

En_Fuego
12/11/2011, 01:11 AM
Congrats to RGIII....To Baylor, and the Big 12 Conference.

nighttrain12
12/11/2011, 01:57 AM
I didn't see any of the OU Heisman winners of seasons past there. As a matter of fact, it seemed a lot less former winners were there at the awards ceremony.

I couldn't stop laughing when that short Donna Shalala look alike stepped up to the microphones to announce the winner and the mics were blocking her face. She needed a stool to stand on! LOL

SoonernAR
12/11/2011, 07:32 AM
Probably the weakest Heisman field of candidates in history, pathetic I tell you.

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 08:25 AM
Yep. Wait until we see RGIII's Wonderlic Test. You'll know all about his Great Scholar BS. Poly-Sci? Is he gonna run for Mayor of Waco?

the-rover
12/11/2011, 08:49 AM
There have been plenty of Heisman hopefuls get their hopes shattered at the hands of a Sooner defense.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/11/2011, 08:53 AM

This!

However, it did cost me some vCash.

ictsooner7
12/11/2011, 09:46 AM
There have been plenty of Heisman hopefuls get their hopes shattered at the hands of a Sooner defense.

ou are absolutely right, my point is that the Baylor game should have been another one. Thank you for helping me make my point!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/11/2011, 09:47 AM
Also, I do like the Superman socks!

Finally, a nerd wins the award.

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2011, 09:52 AM
ou are absolutely right, my point is that the Baylor game should have been another one. Thank you for helping me make my point!

I've been a Sooner fan since '71 and there have been plenty of players that had big games against OU - even against our very best defenses. It happens and it will happen again in the future - it's the nature of the game. Time to tip your cap to the guy and move on to next year.

C&CDean
12/11/2011, 10:01 AM
Since we already have at least 2-3 other Baylor love threads going on, and the fact that the OP just had to make a dig at OU, this one is done.