PDA

View Full Version : One guy's EARLY look at 2012

IronHorseSooner
12/10/2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2012

According to this, we are #7, which I think is fair. There are WTFs on that list, but one thing is clear- we play a challenging schedule next year. We would play the following teams:

#16 ND
#17 *
#18 WVU
#21 Baylor
#22 K State
#25 TCU

We also play OSU, who is one of the "Teams to Watch." As well, we go to ISU and Tech, and KU should be radically improved with Weis. UCF is another non-con, and the other will likely be a lesser opponent. Hence, I would say that the schedule has about nine "losable" games on it (KU, UCF, and the other non-con being the exceptions). We should be the most experienced and talented team in the Big XII; however, we were this year as well, and look where it got us. What that means is that next year comes down to injuries and better coaching decisions. We MUST stay healthy, and must stay hungry. I would put my next paycheck on there being some coaching changes (OL, DB, ST, maybe D-Coord), and it will be hard on Coach Stoops.

oudivesherpa
12/10/2011, 05:52 PM
Interesting OSU is projected for a very average season.

sooneron
12/10/2011, 05:56 PM
The Sooners should be strong on defense, but will miss defensive end Frank Alexander.

Sorry, Travis.

sooneron
12/10/2011, 05:57 PM
Interesting OSU is projected for a very average season.

They lose a ****load for next year. 8 wins will be doing really well. 9 wins will be overachieving.

soonervegas
12/10/2011, 06:21 PM
I guess they are sold Mike is coming back.....

I kid.

Jacie
12/10/2011, 06:59 PM
Notre Dame seems overrated at 16 based on the brief description.

sa*et's 17 ranking assumes their quarterback play will improve. Seems reasonable since they started to see glimpses of a running game in the latter half of the season before injuries brought it to a halt. Two of the five teams that beat them won't be on the schedule so that should also help the W-L record.

West Virginia at 18 is tough to figure. They could be better than in 2011, which is what you'd expect with a team under the second year of a new coach but they will play a more difficult schedule of teams neither the players or the staff (except the head coach) have faced.

Baylor's 21 ranking is predicated on RGIII returning for his senior year. If he decides to enter the draft he is likely a 1st round pick. The examples of players who turned that down are bound to be too numerous to ignore (The fates of Bradford and Broyles alone should be enough to convince him of the futility of staying when the NFL beckons).

Kansas State at 22, can Bill Snyder do it again? If the top teams from 2011 are down, I wouldn't count them out to challenge for the title again.

At 25, TCU may be the underrated team of the lot. I think of these teams they will show the most improvement.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 07:45 PM
Snyder does seem to be building his Team back.

soonercastor
12/10/2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah way too early, indeed.

The most ridiculous ranking I saw there was tOSU, but then I remembered they hired Meyer.

CowboyMRW
12/10/2011, 09:01 PM
They lose a ****load for next year. 8 wins will be doing really well. 9 wins will be overachieving.

Not being a homer here, but I think that OSU will surprise a lot of people. We lose Weeden and Blackmon, 3 OL, Cooper, both DE's and Markelle Martin.

It is all dependent on QB play next year. Our OL won't experience a massive dropoff imo, and our backfield is loaded with Randle, Smith, and Sims. If we find replacements for Blatnick and Jones at DE, I expect us to be from 13-16 next year, if not higher.

8timechamps
12/10/2011, 09:05 PM
Not being a homer here, but I think that OSU will surprise a lot of people. We lose Weeden and Blackmon, 3 OL, Cooper, both DE's and Markelle Martin.

It is all dependent on QB play next year. Our OL won't experience a massive dropoff imo, and our backfield is loaded with Randle, Smith, and Sims. If we find replacements for Blatnick and Jones at DE, I expect us to be from 13-16 next year, if not higher.

Not trying to knock OSU, but they're not going to surprise anyone. When you win the conference, people take you seriously. The days of sneaking up on teams is over, for the next few years anyway.

CowboyMRW
12/10/2011, 09:10 PM
Not trying to knock OSU, but they're not going to surprise anyone. When you win the conference, people take you seriously. The days of sneaking up on teams is over, for the next few years anyway.

I don't think we've been surprising people since 2008. We've been a solid team. Most wins in the Big 12 the last 4 years I believe.

sooneron
12/11/2011, 08:14 AM

You're a good poke (rare), but that is blatant homerism. You lose one of the most prolific passers & receivers along with 3/5 of your OL? Srsly? Your avg points per game automatically goes down by 10-14 as of the day after this year's fiesta. I guarantee it. You act as if Josh and Rashaun are waiting in the wings with a green OL. It takes time for those guys to gel and mature. As good as your D was against us (Landry & Co. definitely helped) they're going to have to get more consistent with what they give up.

CowboyMRW
12/11/2011, 05:05 PM
You're a good poke (rare), but that is blatant homerism. You lose one of the most prolific passers & receivers along with 3/5 of your OL? Srsly? Your avg points per game automatically goes down by 10-14 as of the day after this year's fiesta. I guarantee it. You act as if Josh and Rashaun are waiting in the wings with a green OL. It takes time for those guys to gel and mature. As good as your D was against us (Landry & Co. definitely helped) they're going to have to get more consistent with what they give up.

As long as Wickline is in Stillwater, I will never be worried about our OL. People said the same things when Zac and Dez left. We have recruited well on offense, and we have some very good receivers in our 2 deep.

Our PPG will drop off no doubt, but I was addressing the winning side. I think we'll continue to win. Our backfield is nasty with all 3 of our running backs probably starting on 90% of other teams. I think we'll be a running team next year, and if Walsh wins the starting QB job, we'll see quite a bit of zone read in our looks.

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 05:21 PM
Our backfield is nasty with all 3 of our running backs probably starting on 90% of other teams.

LOL

kevpks
12/11/2011, 05:32 PM
On the subject of way too early looks I was checking out this Heisman watch list (note: I don't see any OSU remnants on the list. I guess it shows that everyone assumes you are just a flash in the pan until you actually sustain relevance):

11. QB Blake Bell, Oklahoma
Assuming Landry Jones is off to the NFL early, it’ll be a battle for one of college football’s premier gigs. Drew Allen could be the one for this spot if he beats out Bell, who became a bigger Tim Tebow down the stretch. The 6-5, 245-pounder barreled for ten touchdowns in the final five games including four against Baylor. Not necessarily a runner, he’s a pro-style passer who happens to know how to find the end zone on the ground. Allen isn’t going to be shoved aside, though. He’s very big, very strong, has a huge arm, and brings a little mobility, too.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1137830.html

PalmettoSooner
12/11/2011, 06:08 PM
After looking at this preseason top 25...it amazes me how teams are gonna be ranked based off their programs name, not what they did this past season. Now I know that a lot has to do with talent that is coming back and recruiting classes...but Texas at 17? That team has not shown any type of greatness this season (7-5) and majority of that team is coming back. I do believe they will be better than 7-5 next year, but giving them a top 25 ranking is ridiculous. Next is FSU. This year they were a top 5 team coming into the season and became a flop in a matter of 3 weeks. Ranking them in the top 10 is stupid. WVU...never mind. These "preseason top 25's" are for show only, but unfortunately a lot of these teams will be ranked close to these rankings.

On the other hand, I can't wait until next season. It will be interesting in the Big 12 next year. How will TCU do now that they are in a real conference and plays a tough schedule. How will OSU do post weeden and blackmon? Will Synder have another magical season? Will RGIII and Landry Jones come back for another season?

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 06:44 PM
Will BV get fired or will the folks who want him fired finally just quit posting on message boards?

TXBOOMER
12/11/2011, 06:49 PM
If serious changes in schemes are not made primarily getting back to a lot more power football on both sides of the ball I would expect to lose 2 - 4 games we shouldn't lose again.

sooneron
12/11/2011, 11:05 PM
As long as Wickline is in Stillwater, I will never be worried about our OL. People said the same things when Zac and Dez left. We have recruited well on offense, and we have some very good receivers in our 2 deep.

Our PPG will drop off no doubt, but I was addressing the winning side. I think we'll continue to win. Our backfield is nasty with all 3 of our running backs probably starting on 90% of other teams. I think we'll be a running team next year, and if Walsh wins the starting QB job, we'll see quite a bit of zone read in our looks.

Wickline is good, but you never know what you have till they're on the field and under fire. Regardless of your running backs, the OL will have to be solid. I will take back my prognostication, tho. I just checked your sched and in typical osu ooc fashion, you have UAz and the ragin cajuns coming up next year. Wow! I'll adjust one game upwards 9= really good and 10 is overachieving.

picasso
12/12/2011, 11:59 PM
People said the same things when Zac and Dez left.

And you got luckier than hell with Weeden.

Take a real good look at what teams struggle with when they don't have a stellar QB.

budbarrybob
12/13/2011, 11:21 AM
It's not that Weeden is going to be an All-Pro NFL QB. He had a very solid OL and a good running game and a 2 x Biletnikoff winner to throw too.

starclassic tama
12/13/2011, 12:25 PM
It's not that Weeden is going to be an All-Pro NFL QB. He had a very solid OL and a good running game and a 2 x Biletnikoff winner to throw too.you can't say that. weeden has the size, and has a strong arm. not to mention the maturity factor entering the league at age 28. i wouldn't predict that he is going to be an all-pro, but you can't say that you already know he isn't going to be.

Breadburner
12/13/2011, 12:45 PM
I think you will see a change at OC at OU....