PDA

View Full Version : What happened?

8timechamps
12/9/2011, 10:31 PM
This thread is not intended to trash or badmouth Landry Jones, just to get opinions about his play late in the year (more specifically, after Broyles went down).

I've never had a lack of confidence in Landry, and physically, I don't think there is a question that he is capable of "making all the throws". I can't help but think most of Landry's problems are attributed to two things:

1. Ryan Broyles missing. Anyone that watched a Sooner game could see the chemistry between Broyles and Landry. If there was a 3rd or 4th down, and a pass was called, you could bet that Landry was looking for Ryan (and for good reason). Once Ryan was out, Landry needed to find another go-to-guy, and that transitions into my second reason;

2. Lack of consistency with other receivers. How many games did we watch with multiple dropped passes? Jaz looked pretty consistent, and I think Jackson will continue to develop, but it's no secret that Miller struggled with catching balls that he should have caught. I did notice that Landry would go right back to DeJuan after a dropped ball, and that's a complement to the kind of QB Landry is. Stills was/is a deep threat guy, but had his fair share of struggles with dropped passes.

My observation is that Landry just lost confidence (both in himself and his receivers), and the further along the team went without Ryan, the further that confidence dropped. I hope that the few weeks of practice before the bowl patches some of that, and I expect to see a sharp, focused Landry Jones. At least that's what I hope to see.

kenth68
12/9/2011, 10:41 PM
It looked to me like they didn't have Landry practice with the others much, or anywhere near as much as Broyles. I also think the LJ lost confidence in his other receivers. He wasn't comfortable throwing to them in coverage, where at the start of the season, he had some beautiful throws into double coverage, etc. Dropping balls they should have caught just wasn't inspiring. That last game, he hesitated constantly while throwing, not knowing if they would extend themselves to catch balls in tight coverage. 4th quarter, unable to pass their way, they had to resort to a run game being multiple touchdowns down. Not inspired play at all.

8timechamps
12/9/2011, 10:58 PM
It looked to me like they didn't have Landry practice with the others much, or anywhere near as much as Broyles. I also think the LJ lost confidence in his other receivers. He wasn't comfortable throwing to them in coverage, where at the start of the season, he had some beautiful throws into double coverage, etc. Dropping balls they should have caught just wasn't inspiring. That last game, he hesitated constantly while throwing, not knowing if they would extend themselves to catch balls in tight coverage. 4th quarter, unable to pass their way, they had to resort to a run game being multiple touchdowns down. Not inspired play at all.

Yep, we're on the same page then. He did make some terrific throws into coverage early, and it just seemed like he couldn't do that as well later.

mdklatt
12/9/2011, 11:01 PM
I think losing Whaley hurt us more than losing Broyles, although in retrospect losing Broyles was a bigger hit than I thought it would be. That doesn't completely explain why Landry has too speeds--WTG! and WTF!?--though.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2011, 11:21 PM
You answered your own question - Broyles going down and loss of confidence. Whaley was a big loss too because the running game became inconsistent and put more pressure on passing success. Every QB's performance goes down with more pressure and I think LJs a bit more than average. I think people under estimate how much more pressure there was. LJ got sacked multiple times by Baylor! Before that game we led the nation in fewest sacks allows. LJ was waiting longer as receivers were not getting separation or running route incorrectly or dropping balls. The running game created worse down and distance situations. In short, things that used to work stopped working and that will shake anyones confidence.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 11:22 PM
I think that Kenny Stills was gonna be a Malcolm Kelly or a Mark Clayton this Season with Ryan coming back. When Ryan went out...he made some catches but I never felt he stepped up and really became the threat Ryan did. Jaz Reynolds actually looked more like he was going to not only take us on to a new level but be the Guy that replaces Ryan in 2012. Landry not having guys he could lock onto after checking off the group of guys he knows he can't trust at 3rd and long....got him hammered during the oSu Game.

I really doubt anyone would even be bringing up questions if he hadn't had that game. There would more than likely be the group that can't wait for him to leave and the group that think he did an adequate job leading the Team.

The Baylor Game he had great Stats but not RGIII Stats.

It's that oSu Game that will haunt him if he decides to go to the NFL. Before that Game...I thought he was gone. Now that he lost it the way he did....I think maybe it's definitely 50-50 now that he leaves.

Take a look at Kenny's stats for this year. He's definitely got better stats but they aren't like "Wow...he had a great year!" Stats.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stills_kenny00.html

Compare Kenny's stats to Ryans....

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/broyles_ryan00.html

Now check out Jaz's Stats. Landry just didn't have anyone who was used to putting up the Stats that Ryan did.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reynolds_jaz00.html

(http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/broyles_ryan00.html)

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2011, 11:29 PM
I seriously hope LJ doesn't base his NFL decision on 1 game. I can't imagine the GMs would do that. I'm not in either camp of wanting him to return or leave - just hope he is rational about it.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 11:35 PM
Landry was on track to have a bit better year than the 4,700+ yards he put up last year. What changed? WRs is the answer to that question.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_landry00.html

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 11:42 PM
I seriously hope LJ doesn't base his NFL decision on 1 game. I can't imagine the GMs would do that. I'm not in either camp of wanting him to return or leave - just hope he is rational about it.

Well....me either. I think he still has a lot of reasons to move on as Ryan and him really had something special going on and if some NFL Team can get him 2 or 3 go to guys....he's got what it takes IMO.

The whole do I stay in School with my Wife or take some big dough and help our checkbook so we can get off to a good start, the would it be good to get my Rookie Season in if my Wife goes Pro into the WNBA?

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons they may or not make a decision one way or the other. I don't think I've ever scene a player with so many things to think about and then also be this Loyal Christian who might now even want to try and do a Tebow type transition to the NFL or instead move on towards a more simple Life. I like the guy. He's really changed since last year and I know he really cares about the Team and the Sooners. I wish him all the best no matter what he decides to do.

JiminyChristmas
12/10/2011, 12:52 AM
Landry can definitely make all the throws when the pocket is clean and his feet are set. If things start to collapse and he has to move, it gets ugly. That has to improve for him to have much of a shot at ever being a starter in the NFL. Those guys get pressured like crazy.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 01:02 AM
He does have some trouble if his feet aren't set.....but he's still made some throws that he wasn't set for this year. He has improved too. Burn the DVR of the aggie game and then go back and watch him in the other games this year.

East Coast Bias
12/10/2011, 07:07 AM
I think with LJ it is a matter of confidence. He has said on several occasions that his receivers made him look good and that he didn't have to be on all the time. With Broyles playing at a high level and what that did for the other receivers he knew he could put any kind of ball out there and the receivers would go up for the catch. The loss of Broyles, a few picks here and there and all the drop balls add up to a loss of confidence.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/10/2011, 08:34 AM
Conundrum.

Landry NEEDS another year in school to improve his game for the next level. Right now... he doesn't have it.

Landry NEEDS to go. He's killing us. The losses, and bad performances against inferior teams, started with mind-numbingly bad INT's on his part. Now he has added fumbling to his repetoire.

Knowing full well that the QB play with a new guy under center is not going to immediately improve next year, I want him gone. Tired of his lame act.

swardboy
12/10/2011, 09:15 AM
Without knowing the Sooners passing scheme I'm hardly qualified to pass judgement. BUT I'm seeing Sam go through the same difficulties as Landry this year, and what I see a LOT of is 'locking in.' Sam sits in the pocket so stinking long but I'm not seeing him look around, just waiting for his intended target to finally break open. Landry's head is hardly on a swivel either.

My background is a Houston veer-pro set offense...the QB usually had to make two reads BEFORE he was set to throw, unless a blitz called for the 'hot' receiver. I mean I was lookin' around fast and furious in 2.1 seconds! Those seven steps were hell. What I'd have given for a shotgun set....

badger
12/10/2011, 09:55 AM
I am not blaming Whitney Hand, but I have noticed that her long distance shooting is waaaay off. Inside the 3, it's fine, but for 3, not good. Perhaps it's the change in distance (now the same as the men, after the men pushed it back a foot last season or the season before), but in any event, Landry and Whitney both are having rough sports years.

tulsaoilerfan
12/10/2011, 10:03 AM
Landry was on track to have a bit better year than the 4,700+ yards he put up last year. What changed? WRs is the answer to that question.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_landry00.html More yardage doesn't always equal a better season; i thought Landry regressed about halfway thru the season and outside of KState, did not look like the same QB that finished out the season last year

Widescreen
12/10/2011, 11:33 AM
Landry was very indecisive this year. He started doing this thing where he'd start to throw, stop, dance around and then throw. You could almost always guarantee it would be incomplete or an interception when he did that. This was happening long before Broyles went out.

budbarrybob
12/10/2011, 11:41 AM
Landry was very indecisive this year. He started doing this thing where he'd start to throw, stop, dance around and then throw. You could almost always guarantee it would be incomplete or an interception when he did that. This was happening long before Broyles went out.

I thought this manuever was called the "Hybl"

Flagstaffsooner
12/10/2011, 11:49 AM
I am not blaming Whitney Hand, but I have noticed that her long distance shooting is waaaay off. Inside the 3, it's fine, but for 3, not good. Perhaps it's the change in distance (now the same as the men, after the men pushed it back a foot last season or the season before), but in any event, Landry and Whitney both are having rough sports years.
Landry should quit shooting on Whitney's hand and stay inside the box.:very_drunk:

SoonerKnight
12/10/2011, 12:10 PM
I noticed several time that he completely missed open recievers and threw to covered recievers. This was especially true in the red zone at the beginning of the year when we had the RZ woes. I think he needs another year to get ready for the pros. I also think that the chemistry was not there with the WR's. Hopefully LJ stays and we can get those WR's experience. I do not believe that all of this is due to LJ but to the injuries which affects a team quite a bit.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2011, 12:15 PM
The last few games has shown Landry's inability to go all the way through his progressions...1 and sometimes 2...And then panic..It's been a problem for a while but it was seriously exposed when Broyles went down..

That missing open receivers and throwing to covered receivers is part of ^.

8timechamps
12/10/2011, 12:43 PM

I'm actually not dismissing this as a contributing factor. I remember being young and in-love, and the excitement about getting married...that's a lot on the mind, and some people process it differently than others. Add that to the other factors already mentioned, and it can make for a full plate for a person in Landry's position.

I love Landry, and I hope he breaks records in the NFL, I just don't (and haven't) felt the confidence on the field.

Breadburner
12/10/2011, 12:58 PM
It still baffles me that Hanna was not utilized more.....I'm sure I'm missing something.....

swardboy
12/10/2011, 02:41 PM
You and me both bro. After the previous year's OSU game I thought Hanna was gonna have a year of Gresham-like proportions. What a help that would have been for LJ...but TE wasn't a big part of our plan..?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/10/2011, 03:04 PM
The last few games has shown Landry's inability to go all the way through his progressions...1 and sometimes 2...And then panic..It's been a problem for a while but it was seriously exposed when Broyles went down..

Here is my question: Most of Landry's struggles were on double clutched throws. How much of that is on him and how much of it is on his receivers? A good example was against pokey state when Landry expected Stills to go post and Stills cut up on the fade. Landry had to double clutch and overthrew him. A wide open post route is a factor of 10 easier to complete than the fade (shorter throw, less loft, easier catch). I just have to think that with as many double clutches as he had, his receivers were making some seriously poor decisions or chicken fighting with defenders on timing routes.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/10/2011, 03:06 PM
You and me both bro. After the previous year's OSU game I thought Hanna was gonna have a year of Gresham-like proportions. What a help that would have been for LJ...but TE wasn't a big part of our plan..?

Hitting the TE is a QB thing, some do it naturally some have to learn it. Your better QBs always keep their TEs in the game because of how much they force the linebackers to stop cheating on the run.

the_edge
12/10/2011, 05:02 PM

In the OSU game he didn't have time to go through any progressions. The offensive line sucks.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2011, 07:18 PM
In the OSU game he didn't have time to go through any progressions. The offensive line sucks.

I will let you know that I did not watch the OSU game, so I don't know what happened there.Maybe for that game what you say is true..I also know this sucky Oline was tied for 6th in the country for fewest sacks given up..When a quarterback panics, it can make a line look bad..He's done that since he got on the field..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/10/2011, 07:20 PM
Here is my question: Most of Landry's struggles were on double clutched throws. How much of that is on him and how much of it is on his receivers? A good example was against pokey state when Landry expected Stills to go post and Stills cut up on the fade. Landry had to double clutch and overthrew him. A wide open post route is a factor of 10 easier to complete than the fade (shorter throw, less loft, easier catch). I just have to think that with as many double clutches as he had, his receivers were making some seriously poor decisions or chicken fighting with defenders on timing routes.

I think more of the chicken fighting than anything...We've brought this up a lot, but I thought this WR crew, namely Stills, were a little more physical than previous groups..I was wrong.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 07:35 PM

I think that's about what I was saying. Hell the guy has had one of the best WRs in the Country to depend on for 3 years. Now he's gone. It's bound to affect him especially when folks think the rest of our WRs are top notch. The other WRs are really good as long as Ryan is out there but once he was gone....the Defenses didn't need to worry about Ryan. It made us a mediocre Offense especially with Whaley also gone. When you lose key players....you just are gonna have a tough time. Landry indeed gets the blame for not putting every ball into the other Wrs face mask so they could hang on to the rock.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 07:39 PM
I will let you know that I did not watch the OSU game, so I don't know what happened there.Maybe for that game what you say is true..I also know this sucky Oline was tied for 6th in the country for fewest sacks given up..When a quarterback panics, it can make a line look bad..He's done that since he got on the field..

Heupel definitely taught him to trust in the line after Bradford got kiled even though he had no reason to. Landry has taken some huge hits the last three seasons and still got up. This year I just never saw anyone's defense get to him like they did in the oSu Game and indeed he did panic like he did when he took over for Sam. I think he's come a long way and the line I guess just got lucky all year and imploded in Stoolwater.

OUmillenium
12/10/2011, 09:28 PM
There is a great chance that if LJ comes back next year, he will be the same style of QB who makes the same mistakes.

Remember, this is a guy who took 2 years to learn how to throw a ball away without throwing an INT.

Would love to see him come back and dominate, win a Heisman, etc. but just don't see it.

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2011, 12:23 AM
It looked pretty simple to me in the OSU game - guys were not getting open and LJ was forced to hold the ball longer. The first fumble wasn't a terrible play - he was trying to get outside the box and throw it away but he waited too late and got his arm hit. But the reason he waited is because it was 3rd down and in the redzone (or close) and we really needed 7 at that time. He should have bailed earlier and taken the FG attempt. All the double clutching was because he was waiting for someone to clear and often didn't have time to set his feet by then. I'm not saying he couldn't have played better - other QBs have clearly responded to pressure better than that. But it was the most pressure he had faced this year.

ouwino
12/11/2011, 08:57 AM
in my very humble opinion, there are 3 reasons landry did not have as good a season as he did last year.
1. No Demarco Murray

2. No Ryan Broyles.... after his injury

3. No Kevin Wilson. i know we all liked to bash him (me too) but he was a wizzard calling the hurry up spread offense. i am not sure at this point if Josh can do the job.

BoulderSooner79
12/11/2011, 09:01 AM
in my very humble opinion, there are 3 reasons landry did not have as good a season as he did last year.
1. No Demarco Murray

2. No Ryan Broyles.... after his injury

3. No Kevin Wilson. i know we all liked to bash him (me too) but he was a wizzard calling the hurry up spread offense. i am not sure at this point if Josh can do the job.

Actually, Whaley did a darn good job at taking over for DeMarco Murray - for 6 games :(

soonercoop1
12/11/2011, 10:21 AM
Its the system where LJ is a servicable QB and where RB took pressure off the other receivers by taking 2 DBs. RB was the possession receiver and nobody else has stepped up to take that role. Maybe OU doesn't have another WR that can or it is coaching. Stills has pretty much disappeared since RB went down. Missing Whaley out of the backfield also has contributed to the Os downfall. It could very well be a problem with Josh but I have a suspicion that his hands are being tied somewhat.

JLEW1818
12/11/2011, 10:59 AM
it's the 14 points that Landry gave up against the pokes that made me mad.... plays that great QB's don't do. Then you had the throw at baylor into triple coverage, pick. still fresh in my mind.

great QB, but clearly padded stats.