PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Arkansas play?

8timechamps
12/9/2011, 10:07 PM
Haven't seen them play, but I looked at their record thus far...two losses:

Lost to #10 UConn 75-62 back on the 3rd.
Lost to Houston (whom we play after the Hogs) 87-78.

Anyone seen Arkansas play and know anything about them? Outside of UConn, it doesn't look like they've really played anyone. Their loss to Houston is kind of puzzling, as Houston is 4-4.

8timechamps
12/9/2011, 10:10 PM
Oh, and I was thinking, if we can pick up 10 wins OOC, that would bode well for a spot in a post season tourney...assuming we can go to a post season tourney (I don't know if that is sanctioned).

Eielson
12/9/2011, 10:32 PM
Haven't seen them play, but I'd be happy with a win over Anderson's Hogs. I was going to say 10 wins isn't that great in OOC, but then I noticed we were only playing 12 OOC games this year. 10-2 OOC, 9-9 conference record, and a win in the Big XII tournament should get us in the NCAA's.

8timechamps
12/9/2011, 10:37 PM
Haven't seen them play, but I'd be happy with a win over Anderson's Hogs. I was going to say 10 wins isn't that great in OOC, but then I noticed we were only playing 12 OOC games this year. 10-2 OOC, 9-9 conference record, and a win in the Big XII tournament should get us in the NCAA's.

I didn't realize we only had 12 OOC games until I looked at the schedule (and that's just because we made it to the final of the 76 classic, otherwise, it would have been less). I would be speechless if we made the NCAAs, and really any post season action would be great.

TopDog8025
12/10/2011, 01:40 AM
Preview here: http://wp.me/prUUN-Dn1 hope this helps

IronHorseSooner
12/10/2011, 10:35 AM
I pretty much agree with the analysis on that site, except that we we field an undersized team. At the 1 through the 4, we have players of comparable size to anybody, and our back-ups are same size or bigger than most reserves. The exception is at the 5 with Fitz, but he has such strength and arm-length that he makes up for that lack of height at 6'8".

badger
12/10/2011, 12:08 PM
Here's what I just posted on vBookie:

If you have the means (I unfortunately do not today), Lon and the guys deserve a big LNC crowd.

2 p.m. today at LNC

Tickets: $10, $20 and $30 unless you're a student --- $5 for OU students!

IN ADDITION: Saturday's game marks Military Appreciation Day. Active duty members and veterans may purchase $5 tickets. USA! USA!

For people like me that can't make it, let the athletics department know that you want to continue seeing as many televised games as they've been showing this year in high def, on the radio or the web!

2:07 p.m. tipoff:

TV: KAUT Ch. 43 in Oklahoma City, KOTV Ch. 6 in Tulsa, ESPN Full Court

Radio: KOKC 1520 AM in Oklahoma City, KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa, Sirius 134, XM 195

Webcast: SoonerSports.com All-Access

vBetting advice:

I am really surprised (but happy!) that you all are picking OU over Arkansas. You might recall that they just had a big name hire and a big name transfer. I'm referring to head coach Anderson formerly of Mizzou and that-kid-from-Vertigris-who-seems-a-bit-of-a-head-case Rotnei Clarke, who transferred to Butler.

However, it's not a bad vBet to make. Arkansas is coming off a loss to UConn and even lost at home to Houston, giving them a 5-2 record so far. Our only loss of course was in the 76 Classic championship game to St. Louis and their big name, big everything coach.

We have several scorers that could get the 25 point cheevo (I'll just tell those of you without Xbox Live: Basically, in-game achievements have the internet nickname "cheevo," which is how I'll refer to in-game achievements on vBookie here on out). Cam Clark has averaged 17 ppg over the past few, Pledge has 16, and Fitz has 14.5.

The other guy that could get 25, or be our double-double cheevo today? Romero Osby. He had a foul-out bad stat game in our win over ORU. He couldn't get anything going, but he's a great player, so what do great players do after bad games? Have career games. Hell, he might go off for a TRIPLE double after his poor ORU performance!

According to SS.com we lead the conference in offensive boards and also have a very good rebounding comparison with opponents, making the 10 board cheevo another good one to take. Out-rebounding Arkansas? That will be tough.

The LESS THAN 10 turnover cheevo is a special number for a special reason: Our lowest turnover game was our first exhibition, with 10 exactly. Since then, the men's team hasn't been as bad as their female counterparts (grrrrrrrrr) at turning over the ball, and have usually only had about 12-15, respectively. Thus, cut that number to 9 or less would not only likely lead us to victory, but also, would be our lowest turnover game of the season.

Fraschilla is quickly becoming a fan favorite much like Kellen Sampson. When that last guy comes off the bench, you know your team's won. Fraschilla has taken some shots and missed and usually does not log many minutes. However, it is probably verrrrrrry tempting for you all to take a 130 to 1 payout bet. Please let it tempt you, that's the idea :)

8timechamps
12/10/2011, 12:52 PM
I pretty much agree with the analysis on that site, except that we we field an undersized team. At the 1 through the 4, we have players of comparable size to anybody, and our back-ups are same size or bigger than most reserves. The exception is at the 5 with Fitz, but he has such strength and arm-length that he makes up for that lack of height at 6'8".

I wouldn't call the Sooners under-sized, but I do think we put a small group on the floor. And as the article mentioned, we match up just fine with the Hogs.

I didn't realize that Marshawn Powell is out for Arkansas (for the year). I don't know much about him, but the fact that he was averaging 20 pts a game means that he will be missed...that's a plus for the Sooners.

Vegas has us favored by 7, so the vBet badge set up seems like easy pickens' (yet I continue to lose vbets).

badger
12/10/2011, 01:24 PM
Vegas has us favored by 7, so the vBet badge set up seems like easy pickens' (yet I continue to lose vbets).

I didn't go vBroke last week by virtue of me hedging my vBets, dude. I went all-in on OU, but I had already vBet on my beloved Packers and when I won some early week stuff, I put the rest on the Sooner basketball teams. Alas, the women lost aaaaagain, but the men came through :)

I really hope we win today. I really, REALLY hope we win today.

8timechamps
12/10/2011, 01:41 PM
I didn't go vBroke last week by virtue of me hedging my vBets, dude. I went all-in on OU, but I had already vBet on my beloved Packers and when I won some early week stuff, I put the rest on the Sooner basketball teams. Alas, the women lost aaaaagain, but the men came through :)

I really hope we win today. I really, REALLY hope we win today.

My vGlory days were prior to the Baylor game. I've been living on the streets since...

Sooner95
12/10/2011, 02:06 PM
This would be a nice win if we can pull it off. Arkansas, I suspect, is a decent team. I'm on the road, working so I'll be listening on Siruis 134

Sooner95
12/10/2011, 02:09 PM
Actually OOC schedule would have been the same amount..we would have played 3 games out in 76er regardless if we won them all or lost them all.

As far as going 10-2 (9-9) and a win in Big12 tourney (20-11) yea that's probably a bid..though I do not see us going 9-9.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 02:56 PM
9-9 in conference is definitely achievable.

C&CDean
12/10/2011, 02:59 PM
I'm gonna adopt a basketball mentality for next football season. 6-6 and I'll be tickled pink. Anything better than that and I'll be absolutely giddy. Sure would make life a lot more tolerable during the fall.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 03:08 PM
I'm gonna adopt a basketball mentality for next football season. 6-6 and I'll be tickled pink. Anything better than that and I'll be absolutely giddy. Sure would make life a lot more tolerable during the fall.

Nobody said they'd be tickled to go .500 for the season. It's more about being content to go .500 in conference. That, after all, does give you the opportunity to play for the national championship in college basketball. It doesn't sound too bad considering the current situation of the program. Going .500 in conference is by no means a long term goal.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 03:26 PM
If Fitzgerald plays like this the rest of the year, I guarantee we are NCAA tournament bound.

Boomer.....
12/10/2011, 03:29 PM
Arky shooting horrible from outside. We are looking good! Osby with a couple head turners.

Bruiser53
12/10/2011, 03:37 PM
These announcers are bigger homers than the Thunder duo. Great start to the game by the
Sooners, but I can't imagine Arky shooting this poorly the rest of the game.

Boomer.....
12/10/2011, 03:42 PM
What would you expect from OU employed announcers? Especially with Tubbs being one of them.

Boomer.....
12/10/2011, 03:53 PM
OU up 37-25 at half.

We colleagues off a little.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 04:03 PM
I haven't seen one of our posts have such an impressive half since Gallon's against Baylor. If it weren't for that, I could've said since Blake Griffin.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 04:24 PM
Clark has unfortunately disappeared again. Fitzgerald gets his 4th foul on a really unfortunate call. Things could turn bad if Pledger cools off.

Boomer.....
12/10/2011, 04:28 PM
Yet, we find a way to stretch the lead. It got as close as 6 and now we are up 13 with under 12 to play.

Pledger is really hot this half!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/10/2011, 05:00 PM
Keep the reports coming. Game isn't on down here.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 05:01 PM
Does anybody who watched this game still think OU can't make the NCAA Tournament?

Boomer.....
12/10/2011, 05:02 PM
We are pulling away. Pledged and Neal have been great in the second half. Fitz played out of his mind in the first half but foul trouble kept him from doing much in the second.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 05:03 PM
FRASCHILLA SIGHTING!

Boomer.....
12/10/2011, 05:04 PM
Does anybody who watched this game still think OU can't make the NCAA Tournament?
This team has far exceeded my expectations. I think we will definitely be playing post season ball. Hopefully it will be in the big dance.

Boomer.....
OU wins 78-63.

Eielson
Tubbs obviously had money on Fraschilla as well.

C&CDean
12/10/2011, 05:06 PM
POS channel 43 died for the whole second half. For the first time in my life I checked out ESPN3. Much better video quality than what was on TV, and it was on. Nice win. I like Lon's style.

Blue
12/10/2011, 05:07 PM
Another very good win. Way to go Sooners!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/10/2011, 05:09 PM
Nice! I'm liking this team's grit! Coach has them gelling!

Houston Cougars, you're next.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/10/2011, 05:10 PM
Also, I've been winning some vCash as well. Did OU win the rebound total?

picasso
12/10/2011, 05:11 PM
Enjoyed hearing Billy's slow drawl during the game. Looks like we got a basketball coach.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 05:12 PM
I'd be pretty disappointed if this team didn't go to Missouri with an 11-1 record. Of course, I'd be shocked if we headed into Stillwater with a record better than 11-3.

Eielson
12/10/2011, 05:13 PM
Also, I've been winning some vCash as well. Did OU win the rebound total?

+13

Blue
12/10/2011, 05:26 PM
I'd be pretty disappointed if this team didn't go to Missouri with an 11-1 record. Of course, I'd be shocked if we headed into Stillwater with a record better than 11-3.

with that big Cincy fight today, they could be missing some key players in a few weeks too.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/10/2011, 06:20 PM
+13g

Suweet! Where can I spend my vCash?

Can I buy some vBeer?

soonervegas
12/10/2011, 06:25 PM
The starting 5 is def NCAA worthy.....can our bench bring enough not to crumble in the Big 12? I can't wait to find out.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 06:30 PM
POS channel 43 died for the whole second half. For the first time in my life I checked out ESPN3. Much better video quality than what was on TV, and it was on. Nice win. I like Lon's style.

Kickin some SEC *** ! ! ! :D

TopDog8025
12/10/2011, 07:01 PM
Recap can be found here: http://wp.me/prUUN-Dol Boomer Sooner!

Soonerus
12/10/2011, 07:06 PM
Recap can be found here: http://wp.me/prUUN-Dol Boomer Sooner!

Remember when Top Dawg was Under Dawg ?

TopDog8025
12/10/2011, 07:12 PM
Hardly. I can barely remember Top Dawg. haha. My earliest memories of Sooner hoops where in the 2000s when we had Hollis, Ace, Ebi, etc. I'm only sixteen. But I love Sooner hoops and want to be a sports journalist someday, so I write these recaps and previews, as well as some other freelance stuff for that site.

Soonerus
12/10/2011, 07:14 PM
Underdawg was the original until we won the Big 8 and then he was changed to Topdawg...

TopDog8025
12/10/2011, 07:15 PM
Oh really? Awesome! I wish they would bring Top Dawg back, or maybe Under Dawg would be more fitting for this season :P. Anyways I always liked him as a mascot.

C&CDean
12/10/2011, 07:30 PM
OU a basketball school? Stranger **** has happened...

Serge Ibaka
12/10/2011, 07:39 PM
Oh really? Awesome! I wish they would bring Top Dawg back, or maybe Under Dawg would be more fitting for this season :P. Anyways I always liked him as a mascot.

I can really get behind bring back Top Daug this year--it will be a good reminder of our basketball "tradition" while also celebrating the fresh faces + hope of the Kruger-era.

Those damn horses are the worst. I don't mind them much during football season, but keep them out of the gym please.

Boomer.....
12/10/2011, 08:32 PM
OU a basketball school? Stranger **** has happened...
And OSU is a football school.

OUmillenium
12/10/2011, 09:31 PM
Wife forgot to DVR the game. Can somebody tell me if/when there is a replay?

SoonerMom2
12/11/2011, 12:32 AM
Hardly. I can barely remember Top Dawg. haha. My earliest memories of Sooner hoops where in the 2000s when we had Hollis, Ace, Ebi, etc. I'm only sixteen. But I love Sooner hoops and want to be a sports journalist someday, so I write these recaps and previews, as well as some other freelance stuff for that site.

You are doing a great job. Hope you go to Gaylord for your journalism. Excellent program and you will get a lot of hands on experience. My daughter is a grad of Gaylord and is now a business journalist. Good Luck -- your previews and recaps are really good.

badger
12/11/2011, 10:37 AM
Wife forgot to DVR the game. Can somebody tell me if/when there is a replay?

I think if you have ESPN3.com you can watch a replay whenever you want.

kevpks
12/11/2011, 11:16 AM
I'm really impressed with our team. Kruger has done wonders with these guys. In fact, now that we're a basketball school I'm not as upset about the Insight Bowl. That is a pretty decent bowl game for a basketball school :excitement:

Sooner95
12/11/2011, 11:29 AM
This was a pretty impressive win. Arkansas, although a young team, I don't beleive is that bad. Again we shot the ball very well and spread the production around. Still need to cut down on the turnovers and at times we seems to get out of sync.

overall, good start!

Bourbon St Sooner
12/12/2011, 11:06 AM
Pledger's really stepped up his game. Looks like he could make a run at All B12.