PDA

View Full Version : Closure in the Weleetka case three years later

badger
12/9/2011, 03:29 PM
After thousands of leads increasing rewards and absolutely no suspects, they finally charged someone with the murder of those poor girls.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20111209_12_0_TheOkl504769)

A long time for the families of those young girls (they were 11 and 13 back in 2008) to wait for justice, but hope this provides some closure. :(

IndySooner
12/9/2011, 03:49 PM
I'm not a fan of the death penalty, but in this case, I'll make an exception.

badger
12/9/2011, 03:56 PM

I liked the suggestion someone made on the story --- three death penalties if only it were possible. :mad:

colleyvillesooner
12/9/2011, 04:00 PM
MERGE!

KantoSooner
12/9/2011, 04:17 PM

Second!

All in favor?

badger
12/9/2011, 05:24 PM
All in favor?

Say "die!"

DIE!!!!!!!!

Family were apparently in attendance at the presser. I bet this is welcoming news, if not a bit bittersweet.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 05:57 PM
Life - No Parole. You can go ahead and put him on "H" Block if you want and tell him today's the day every couple of weeks though if you want. Maybe have the Guards drag him by the injection room.

Nothing is gonna bring back those two beautiful kids though or his GF.

Pretty sad. Really awful.

As a Father they'd need to keep him away from me.

tulsaoilerfan
12/9/2011, 06:14 PM
Finally! The fact that Kevin Sweat was the alleged killer was known around here for a few months; damn glad charges were finally filed

colleyvillesooner
12/9/2011, 08:21 PM
Finally! The fact that Kevin Sweat was the alleged killer was known around here for a few months; damn glad charges were finally filed

What was the hold up do you think?

Turd_Ferguson
12/9/2011, 08:44 PM
What was the hold up do you think?I'm think'n evidence...

tulsaoilerfan
12/9/2011, 10:11 PM

What was the hold up do you think? I would guess they wanted as much evidence as possible

tulsaoilerfan
12/9/2011, 10:30 PM
To summarize what we know; Sweats family has property very close to the murder site; the OSBI went there back in August with Sweat's dad and found spent shell casings that matched the ones from the murder; Sweat confessed in September to killing the "monsters" with 2 different guns then taking off from the site; Sweat was arrested for killing his girlfriend in late july or early August and that's when all the talk started about him and the Weleetka murders; i know his dad and he's a helluva good guy and i can't imagine what he is going through right now

Serge Ibaka
12/9/2011, 11:05 PM
It sucks that everybody has to share the world with the mentally-ill.

I'm glad that things are being wrapped-up though. Bless all of those involved.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 11:43 AM
To summarize what we know; Sweats family has property very close to the murder site; the OSBI went there back in August with Sweat's dad and found spent shell casings that matched the ones from the murder; Sweat confessed in September to killing the "monsters" with 2 different guns then taking off from the site; Sweat was arrested for killing his girlfriend in late july or early August and that's when all the talk started about him and the Weleetka murders; i know his dad and he's a helluva good guy and i can't imagine what he is going through right now

Pretty awful. I never thought closing all the State run Mental Facilities was a terrific idea but there was a time in our Country where real criminals would try to just get in those instead of doing time in a prison. It's indeed unfortunate that we as a Society can't do better for the folks that just can't find anything close to normal to live life. If we still had the Hospitals I'm sure some folks would think they need to put a Hoarder away but the folks who are unstable like this guy seems to have been would possibly be in a State Run facility instead of being loose to be able to grab a gun and go on a Murdering Spree.

I know some folks are calling for his execution and if he seriously sees Monsters and has inhaled so much spray paint or chemicals that his brain is fried....maybe it is best to euthanize him but I find it hard to kill someone that really had no clue and was unstable. Of course....if you are the Father of those two beautiful Children....I'm sure it just doesn't matter. The things that would go through one's mind after someone butchered your kids has got to be unbearable.

I feel for Sweats Father as the story says his Son used one of his guns to kill them with. He really has some trouble there I'd think. If you own a gun and it disappears.....I can't imagine knowing that I didn't tell the cops that it was missing or stolen. Especially now that we know his Son did what he did.

What a mess and a tragic chain of events.

I pray the the kids and his GF didn't suffer and that they are in the hands of our loving and caring Lord.

God Bless all who are suffering from this....

swardboy
12/11/2011, 06:41 AM
I was wondering about this case just a few days ago. Sad, sad, sad....but some relief knowing it wasn't a random traveler who is still at large. Prayers for all the people so messed up by this event.

cleller
12/11/2011, 09:34 AM
Is he actually mentally ill?

The confession also sounds like it could have been the result of an extended meth trip. Extreme paranoia and delusions are common with heavy duty cranksters.

badger
12/11/2011, 10:58 AM
After they were found dead, the Tulsa paper ran this cartoon:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2008/Plante-20080613.jpg

Notice the little turtle in the background --- apparently one of the girls would take turtles that she found on roadways to safety away from the road so that they wouldn't get run over.

I suspect that like someone else mentioned, he is playing for the cops to try to get judged mentally ill.

I think anyone that kills innocent girls is probably not mentally stable, but I also doubt that any level of treatment or proper facilities would change them or provide them help.

But yeah... the death penalty isn't going to bring anyone back. :(

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 01:38 PM
I never understood why once someone was put into a mental facility that they might be found to be faking after a few years and then they could be put in the prison they should have originally gone to and if they didn't get the Life Sentence....they would for faking being mental.

stoopified
12/12/2011, 03:56 PM
It sucks that everybody has to share the world with the morally-ill.

I'm glad that things are being wrapped-up though. Bless all of those involved.fixed.Don't think anyone needs to help hisinsanity defense.

stoopified
12/12/2011, 04:00 PM
After they were found dead, the Tulsa paper ran this cartoon:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2008/Plante-20080613.jpg

Notice the little turtle in the background --- apparently one of the girls would take turtles that she found on roadways to safety away from the road so that they wouldn't get run over.

I suspect that like someone else mentioned, he is playing for the cops to try to get judged mentally ill.

I think anyone that kills innocent girls is probably not mentally stable, but I also doubt that any level of treatment or proper facilities would change them or provide them help.

But yeah... the death penalty isn't going to bring anyone back. :(You just brought me to tears. :(

Turd_Ferguson
1/29/2013, 05:54 PM
Why is this not Capitol Murder? Kill the scumbag bastard...

OKEMAH, Okla. (AP) — A man has been ordered to stand trial on first-degree murder charges in the shooting deaths of two young girls in eastern Oklahoma.
Kevin Sweat is charged in the June 2008 killings of 13-year-old Taylor Placker and 11-year-old Skyla Whitaker. The girls were found shot to death on a rural road near Weleetka, 90 miles east of Oklahoma City.
Okfuskee County Associate District Judge David Martin on Tuesday ordered Sweat to stand trial in their deaths.
The 27-year-old Sweat was already in custody accused in the death of his girlfriend, Ashley Taylor, when investigators connected him to the girls' deaths. His trial in Taylor's death begins in June.
Sweat has pleaded not guilty and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

cleller
1/29/2013, 06:39 PM
That case got my attention from the get-go, because it seemed so unusual. What's coming out (goofball tweaking out of his mind) is about the only thing that seems to fit.

tulsaoilerfan
1/29/2013, 08:06 PM
Who knows when the trial will actually start; the lawyers are obviously trying to get a change of venue for the trial and i have no idea how long those things take; still such a sad deal and hard to believe it will be 5 years this summer

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2013, 08:09 PM
Kind of reminds me of the Bible/Freeman girls. Sadly there has been no arrest in those murders and no bodies either.

ouwasp
1/29/2013, 09:38 PM
public hanging

picasso
1/29/2013, 09:43 PM
I know a cop who told me the pattern of the shooting was telling in that those poor kids were basically used as target practice.

MsProudSooner
1/30/2013, 12:20 PM
He killed his girlfriend, too, didn't he? Has he already been tried for that?

nighttrain12
1/30/2013, 12:42 PM
He killed his girlfriend, too, didn't he? Has he already been tried for that?

From Turd's article above, that trial begins in June.