PDA

View Full Version : Can Mike Stoops and Brent Venebles Co-exist?

FriscoTXsooner
12/9/2011, 10:38 AM
When word was bouncing around about a possible return of Mike Stoops to Norman (still unsubstantiated) I was wondering if he and BV would be able to go back the the relationship they once had being Co-DC's. I was hearing rumors that BV was being considered for the Kansas job, but since Charlie Weiss has taken that position, I can only wonder if either Mike S goes to Ohio State, andBV stays, or does Mike S come to Norman and BV take a job somewhere else.

What say ye? I have mixed emotions about next year, but I do believe a change needs to be made, especially in our schemes for defense, and to a small extent our offense. I'm not throwing Josh under the bus, but I don't think we schemed each game the right way. There are no excuses for the loss against TT, we should have been better prepared for a team that didn't win a single game after they beat us. I know we had a lot of injuries, and perhaps that's a result of the conditioning program we run, but there were several variables this year that caused problems. I have said in other posts that the worse thing that happened to us this year was allowing ESPN to come in and do the story, it went straight to our heads, and cut off any common sense these players should have been playing with. The Sharks were a disappointment this year, so please don't name yourselves next year, just play football and forget about the media coverage.

We have to get back to Sooner Football! I'm not a football coach just a fan, and a spoiled fan at that, I love Sooner football, and it kills me when we aren't in the hunt for a National Championship, or when we let it sail by. Is Mike Stoops the answer, not sure, is BV leaving the answer, not sure, but I don know that it's been a while since our last NC, and I'm tired of the SEC getting all of the love, and the Big XII-2 getting the heal of the bread.

goingoneight
12/9/2011, 10:53 AM
Mike and BV are very close friends and did well together. They're sort of the good cop and bad cop when you talk to players who played for them both. Problem is all in what Mike wants, how much a school is willing to pay him, what the best opportunity is for him, how much control over the defense he'll get (not much as we all know the whole team has always followed Bob's model for how to do things) and last but not least-- the all important question-- would Bob push anyone overboard to bring Mike back on.
All these factors point to a resounding "hell no; he's not coming back."

PalmBeachSooner
12/9/2011, 02:20 PM
I thnk we need better players on the defensive side of the ball. I know Frank is an all-american but he's probably the only player from the OU defense that would start on LSU's defense.

LiveLaughLove
12/9/2011, 02:23 PM
I think for the money they will be making they could get along.

BV is a Stoops for all intents and purposes, so another reason why they should.

Mike supposedly wants to come back, so that means he probably thinks BV wouldn't mind also.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 02:42 PM
how much control over the defense he'll get (not much as we all know the whole team has always followed Bob's model for how to do things) and last but not least-- the all important question-- would Bob push anyone overboard to bring Mike back on.
All these factors point to a resounding "hell no; he's not coming back."

I'm gonna go call you on that one. Not everyone knows that or Brent Venables couldn't get to the stadium. There would be 80,000 fans all handcuffed together and mass rioting. :D ;)

soonervegas
12/9/2011, 06:27 PM
They must........they must......

cleller
12/9/2011, 07:20 PM
Sure they can. Remember the blowups they'd have on the sidelines? Letting off steam at each other is more healthy than constantly at the players.

SoonerorLater
12/9/2011, 08:07 PM
I don't see how it would be possible. The hiring of Mike Stoops would be an indictment against Venables no matter how anybody wants to spin it. It would be the same as Bob Stoops telling the world he has no faith in Brent Venables to run the defense.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2011, 10:11 PM
Mike Stoops an Brent Venebles were able to co-exist before.

So, no.
:)

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 10:30 PM
I thought Mike was already at Nebraska to help Bo know Football. :D

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics21/640/VI/VIDFCYMZXETJPGZ.20091229220833.jpg

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 10:32 PM
Mike is the one in the tie. Bo is the one in the red neck condom.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2011, 11:31 PM
From that picture, I'm guessing there is not a referee in sight.

cleller
12/10/2011, 09:02 AM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics21/640/VI/VIDFCYMZXETJPGZ.20091229220833.jpg

Just two mild mannered business men stopping off at the hotel bar for a drink. Then someone made a big mistake....

Aries
12/11/2011, 09:50 AM
What if Venables TURNED DOWN a head coaching job? Would the conversation with Bob go like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycGrIiGGEBE

:)

Sooner_Tuf
12/11/2011, 07:45 PM
Could they get along? Sure they could. Why couldn't they?

Jacie
12/11/2011, 08:38 PM
No, they are like matter and anti-matter. If they get close enough to each other the entire Universe will be destroyed in the resulting explosion.

stoopified
12/11/2011, 10:09 PM
yes

SoonerorLater
12/11/2011, 10:20 PM
They already co-exist