View Full Version : Who goes higher

olevetonahill
12/9/2011, 09:54 AM
In the Draft Broyels or Blackmon?
Give some reasons why ya think that.

Curly Bill
12/9/2011, 09:55 AM
Blackmon

Main reason is size and strength, and oh yeah..he's not coming off a major knee injury.

OU GENO
12/9/2011, 09:58 AM
Blackmon because he does not have blown out knee

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2011, 09:58 AM
Justin Blackmon because he is better. :black_eyed:

olevetonahill
12/9/2011, 10:18 AM
So where yall see Ryan going in the draft?

rekamrettuB
12/9/2011, 10:23 AM
Blackmon and a few other will go before Broyles. I think Broyles will be a steal in the 2nd-3rd round.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2011, 10:24 AM
I would've said late 1st round before the knee injury. Now, I think it all depends on how well the injury heals and what he does at the Pro Day and Combine. Possibly late 2nd/early 3rd IMO.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/9/2011, 10:26 AM
I doubt Blackmon survives the first 14 picks. Broyles is between 2nd and 4th round depending on the need cascade. There are a lot of teams that are desperate for receivers so who the heck knows.

colleyvillesooner
12/9/2011, 10:29 AM
I would've said late 1st round before the knee injury. Now, I think it all depends on how well the injury heals and what he does at the Pro Day and Combine. Possibly late 2nd/early 3rd IMO.

He said he won't be 100% till after the draft, so his participation in those is doubtful.

sooneredaco
12/9/2011, 10:34 AM
Blackmon with a doubt

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2011, 10:37 AM
He said he won't be 100% till after the draft, so his participation in those is doubtful.

Damn, I missed that. I'm sad now...

olevetonahill
12/9/2011, 10:39 AM
I doubt Blackmon survives the first 14 picks. Broyles is between 2nd and 4th round depending on the need cascade. There are a lot of teams that are desperate for receivers so who the heck knows.
Like to see the Rams get Him and Blackmon Fer Sams sake

rekamrettuB
12/9/2011, 10:40 AM

Whoa...maybe looking 3-4th now. I hope not for him and financial reasons of course...but he will be a great addition to someone. Kid loves to play and gives 100% every snap.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2011, 11:31 AM
Broyles could have a Wes Welker-like career. I wonder how high Welker would have gone if it was known how he would develop?

sooneredaco
12/9/2011, 11:39 AM
Now as far as who goes Higher.... I'd give that Ricky Williams

rekamrettuB
12/9/2011, 12:14 PM
Broyles could have a Wes Welker-like career. I wonder how high Welker would have gone if it was known how he would develop?
Broyles isn't a Wes Welker type....

I find it funny how every white receiver in the leageu is a "Wes Welker" type. But yes, he'll be an extremelly good slot receiver. Somebody will get some value out of him wherever he lands.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2011, 12:26 PM
Broyles isn't a Wes Welker type....

I find it funny how every white receiver in the leageu is a "Wes Welker" type. But yes, he'll be an extremelly good slot receiver. Somebody will get some value out of him wherever he lands.

Sorry, I was only thinking about his size, the position he plays, the fact he always gets open, his great hands, his open field running ability, and his punt return skills when I made the comparison. I forgot about the race thing. :offended:

Soonerfan88
12/9/2011, 12:30 PM
Even without the injury, Blackmon would go higher simply because of size. Wasn't Broyles predicted as best chance late 2nd round, most likely 3rd round?

swardboy
12/9/2011, 12:35 PM
I think it very likely the Rams will get Blackmon. Lord, Sam needs a whole lot more than just a great receiver, but it will help. I'm hoping the o-line gets a wholsale changeover. The D's not so bad if they can all just get healthy and stay somewhat healthy...aside from mebbe a DT difference-maker.

8timechamps
12/9/2011, 03:05 PM
So much of it depends on how he recovers. It's possible he wouldn't get drafted until late 4th round. Assuming he can recover, he's gonna me a steal for someone.

Okie35
12/9/2011, 03:33 PM
Even without the injury, Blackmon would go higher simply because of size. Wasn't Broyles predicted as best chance late 2nd round, most likely 3rd round?

Yup, there are a few "prototype" receivers ahead of Broyles. Broyles should have a healthy career though because he can easily fit in as a slot receiver. I'd love for him to go to the Saints, Pats, or GB. They know how to utilize weapons.

badger
12/9/2011, 03:34 PM
Teams for once were ready to draft QBs and WRs high without regard for holdouts last year and I think that bodes well for Blackmon and Broyles. They could be this year's AJ Green and Julio Jones --- teams running on top of themselves to get the chance to draft them before they're gone.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 03:44 PM
It depends on Ryan's rehab. If he comes back and he's as good as he was when he went out....

Ryan goes ahead of Blackmon. Blackmon is a pretty good large receiver but he's been shut down in College. I have yet to really see anyone ever shut Down Broyles. That will have a huge effect come draft time if Ryan can prove as resilient as Sam and AD were. Just another reason I lean towards Ryan as well. He comes from a Team that has had injuries and yet produced some incredible NFL Players. oSu has too but nothing to the like OU has. I'm sure some oSu fans will claim Dez Bryant. He's been OK but when Dallas was in trouble when Miles Austin went out this year.....Dez was around but Laurent Robinson has really stepped for them.

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2011, 03:47 PM
blackmon...

like everyone else said...
size
strength
no surgery (at least recent)

I will add, I've never or haven't remembered Ryan taking himself out of the game like I've seen blackmon..that might be a slight down grade...

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 03:53 PM
I will add, I've never or haven't remembered Ryan taking himself out of the game like I've seen blackmon..that might be a slight down grade...

Which is one of my downgrades on him straight out. This year he was very helpful to his Team but they were better this year by not only seeing Weedeater get better....but seeing so many other guys contribute. For me Blackmon seemed to be just out there going through the motions.

Okie35
12/9/2011, 03:56 PM
Which is one of my downgrades on him straight out. This year he was very helpful to his Team but they were better this year by not only seeing Weedeater get better....but seeing so many other guys contribute. For me Blackmon seemed to be just out there going through the motions.

The only knock I'd give Blackmon is his route running.

colleyvillesooner
12/9/2011, 03:58 PM

and the drops/weird plays (dropped TD running @ A&M)

CowboyMRW
12/9/2011, 04:11 PM
It depends on Ryan's rehab. If he comes back and he's as good as he was when he went out....

Ryan goes ahead of Blackmon. Blackmon is a pretty good large receiver but he's been shut down in College. I have yet to really see anyone ever shut Down Broyles. That will have a huge effect come draft time if Ryan can prove as resilient as Sam and AD were. Just another reason I lean towards Ryan as well. He comes from a Team that has had injuries and yet produced some incredible NFL Players. oSu has too but nothing to the like OU has. I'm sure some oSu fans will claim Dez Bryant. He's been OK but when Dallas was in trouble when Miles Austin went out this year.....Dez was around but Laurent Robinson has really stepped for them.

You don't truly believe this do you?

Texas shut down Ryan every time they played, until this year. He broke through against him and had an awesome day.
Last year, Texas AnM and Nebraska both did quite well against him.
This year Florida State and Texas Tech both did pretty good jobs taking him out.

We all know about Blackmon's incredible streak he had going. He went for 157 against Amukamara who was the 2nd best CB in CFB last year.

Missouri and Tulsa of this year are really the only games that he got taken out of the equation.

If we are inside the 10 it's almost automatic we are scoring. This is solely because of Blackmon and his fade route.

CowboyMRW
12/9/2011, 04:13 PM

This, although it seemed that he has really improved this past season. I noticed his breaks seemed to be a lot cleaner.

and the drops/weird plays (dropped TD running @ A&M)

Yea he's had some doozies. 2 on the Not Top 10 I believe. AnM and KSU if I remember correctly. Fumbling out of the back of the EZ.

starclassic tama
12/9/2011, 04:21 PM

Ryan goes ahead of Blackmon. Blackmon is a pretty good large receiver but he's been shut down in College. I have yet to really see anyone ever shut Down Broyles. That will have a huge effect come draft time if Ryan can prove as resilient as Sam and AD were. Just another reason I lean towards Ryan as well. He comes from a Team that has had injuries and yet produced some incredible NFL Players. oSu has too but nothing to the like OU has. I'm sure some oSu fans will claim Dez Bryant. He's been OK but when Dallas was in trouble when Miles Austin went out this year.....Dez was around but Laurent Robinson has really stepped for them.not a chance in hell broyles goes before blackmon. i don't know whether or not he will be a better pro, but blackmon will go in the first half of the first round. broyles will be lucky to go in the 2nd round.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2011, 04:38 PM
I think Justin Blackmon has cemented himself into the 1st receiver taken...Alshon Jeffery is also going to be a good one I'd have

1. Blackmon
2. Jeffery
3. Jones, NC
4. Floyd, ND
5. Criner, Az
6. McNutt, Iowa
7.Toon, WI
8. Broyles
9. Fuller, aTm
10. Sanu, Rut

NormanPride
12/9/2011, 04:51 PM
Toon before Broyles? Or is that just because he blew his knee out?

EDIT: LOL @ Fuller. What a loser. Bust city to whoever drafts that guy.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 04:52 PM
not a chance in hell broyles goes before blackmon. i don't know whether or not he will be a better pro, but blackmon will go in the first half of the first round. broyles will be lucky to go in the 2nd round.

Again....I set a few parameters as far as Broyles so I'll see your no way in Hell with a "I guess someone will see you in hell?"?

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 04:54 PM
I think Justin Blackmon has cemented himself into the 1st receiver taken...Alshon Jeffery is also going to be a good one I'd have

1. Blackmon
2. Jeffery
3. Jones, NC
4. Floyd, ND
5. Criner, Az
6. McNutt, Iowa
7.Toon, WI
8. Broyles
9. Fuller, aTm
10. Sanu, Rut

I'd also like to be clear....

I was talking purely between Blackmon and Ryan. You always have interesting lists.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2011, 05:02 PM
Toon before Broyles? Or is that just because he blew his knee out?

EDIT: LOL @ Fuller. What a loser. Bust city to whoever drafts that guy.

Toon had to start over with a new quarterback this year and they don't throw the ball enough to form any kind of good connection..Still, a great blocker, good hands, lacks top end spend and some durability issues..He is 6'3 215 though..

Most of those guys are interchangeable on that list because I think there is 2 1st round picks, a couple of 2nds, and the rest of them are all kind of globbed in the middle...

Sooner_Tuf
12/9/2011, 05:07 PM
Blackmon should go high. He has most of the physical tools. He is not what most people would call polished or ready for the NFL. If he goes in the first round I think that is a good indicator that interviewed well and teams think they will be able to coach him up. I think everyone would agree at this point his potential upside is sky high.

Broyles is in a bad situation. He won't be ale to run at the combine. So teams can't work him out and see first hand whatever it is they would like to see. Size will be a big knock against him ever being looked at as a WR off the bat. He does have an incredible track record of being available to the QB almost every down. Whether or not teams believe that ell transition to the NFL will really decide where goes thIs year. He might be smarter to sit out this year and rehab. I have no idea if his situation would allow him to do so. When I was his age I would have gone anywhere that would take me to just get a shot to play in the NFL.

Ultimately I don't believe there is anyway an injured guy that projects to be a slot guy will go ahead of a two time Biletinkoff Winner. Even one as special as Broyles. Unless there is a team that has some special belief him like Denver did taking Tebow in the first round. But I don't see that happening.

starclassic tama
12/9/2011, 05:14 PM
Again....I set a few parameters as far as Broyles so I'll see your no way in Hell with a "I guess someone will see you in hell?"?even with your parameter of broyles coming back stronger than before his injury. no way in hell he goes before blackmon.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2011, 05:22 PM
If I was going to compare Blackmom on the field with anyone, it would be Terrell Owens..Big physical body, hands are ok, a flare for the spectacular catch, sometimes drops the routine...

Breadburner
12/9/2011, 05:25 PM
If I was going to compare Blackmom on the field with anyone, it would be Terrell Owens..Big physical body, hands are ok, a flare for the spectacular catch, sometimes drops the routine...

I see what you did there....!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2011, 05:26 PM
hehe

SoonerorLater
12/9/2011, 05:32 PM
Call me a homer but I think but I think Broyles will have as good or better pro career than Blackmon (assuming he can come back 100%). Blackmon will go early / middle first round. Broyles could drop to the 4th or 5th. Blackmon has one thing going for him over Broyles..size...that's it. I think most people have Broyles penciled in for a slot receiver. I think he can play wide at the pro level even though he may not be quite right sized or possess elite speed.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2011, 05:33 PM
homer

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2011, 05:34 PM
D'oh!

oudavid1
12/9/2011, 11:55 PM

Blackmon is two time Biletnikoff winner. Had 100+ yards and a TD+ in like 14 straight games. Broyles was held to 36 yards vs Texas in '09, keep in mind that was a 5-7 team. Blackmon is better by a lot.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 11:58 PM
Blackmon is two time Biletnikoff winner. Had 100+ yards and a TD+ in like 14 straight games. Broyles was held to 36 yards vs Texas in '09, keep in mind that was a 5-7 team. Blackmon is better by a lot.

You wanna talk about Awards and I'll simply says this....

What happens to oSu this year without Blackmon?
vs
What happened to OU without Ryan Broyles.

You'll see what I mean if the NFL Folks are satisfied with Ryan's recovery.

Also...Texas' problems that year wasn't Defense.

sooner59
12/10/2011, 03:33 AM
Common sense says Blackmon goes higher. Why? He is bigger. He has had more hype lately. He has the awards. He hasn't been injured significantly as of late. Is this really a question? Broyles finds soft spots in the defenses. If he turns into a Welker, he will have the better pro career. But Blackmon is looked at like the next Julio Jones.

CowboyMRW
12/10/2011, 04:21 AM
Common sense says Blackmon goes higher. Why? He is bigger. He has had more hype lately. He has the awards. He hasn't been injured significantly as of late. Is this really a question? Broyles finds soft spots in the defenses. If he turns into a Welker, he will have the better pro career. But Blackmon is looked at like the next Julio Jones.

I wouldn't say he's Jones or AJ Green like talent. Julio is pretty much a RB split out wide. The guy can flat out fly. AJ has a chance to be a great. Look what he's doing in Cincy with that little talent that's on that team, in that division. I see Blackmon in the Andre Johnson mold. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Andre but I think they have similar body types and the way they both play remind me of each other. I really hope Blackmon goes to Carolina

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 01:57 PM
You wanna talk about Awards and I'll simply says this....

What happens to oSu this year without Blackmon?
vs
What happened to OU without Ryan Broyles.

You'll see what I mean if the NFL Folks are satisfied with Ryan's recovery.

Also...Texas' problems that year wasn't Defense.

Blackmon had 145 yards on 9 catches with a touchdown in that game. My point is this, Blackmon has better size (no homo), better one on one ability, and has better production against the same teams. He is better.