PDA

View Full Version : Insight Bowl

ELP Sooner
12/8/2011, 03:40 PM
I decided to go. Anyone else plan on going?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2011, 03:41 PM
Probably will..If I'll drive to El Paso for a Bowl game, I'll go anywhere..

Soonerfan88
12/8/2011, 03:41 PM
I'm going.

LVSOONER15
12/8/2011, 03:43 PM
Still on the fence. But I may just end up going in the last minute.

trey
12/8/2011, 03:44 PM
i'm going. i'll be driving in from LA the day of the game and leaving the next day.

rock on sooner
12/8/2011, 04:03 PM
Glad to see a thread about going. Much more pleasant than the **** in the thread I started about Hawkeye fans
travelling well, would the Sooners!

SoonerLaw09
12/8/2011, 04:20 PM
Here's how I feel: root canal > waking up with my head sewn to the carpet > dousing my weenis in gasoline and standing too close to a space heater > going to that game.

And that's all I have to say about that.

TheresOnlyOne
12/8/2011, 04:57 PM
Here's how I feel: root canal > waking up with my head sewn to the carpet > dousing my weenis in gasoline and standing too close to a space heater > going to that game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2011, 04:58 PM
Cool..Don't go..Stay mad..

bonkuba
12/8/2011, 05:06 PM
First one I will miss since 98 or so........gonna be in FL. I am really, really tired of the Phoenix area.....I think that is what a lot of the Sooner Fans will be saying. However, I would still go if I didnt have other plans.....I am crazy that way. Kinda like beating my head on a brick wall over and over and over....

Dale Ellis
12/8/2011, 05:07 PM

He didn't sound mad at all, he was simply saying he'd rather have his ears cut off with dental floss than watch OU stumble, bumble, fumble and crumble.

SoonerLaw09
12/8/2011, 05:10 PM

It has nothing to do with mad. It has to do with I ain't rich, and if'n Ima gonna spend my hard earned cash it won't be to go see the Sooners mail it in and get squashed in a minor bowl game.

rock on sooner
12/8/2011, 05:24 PM
I understand the $ issue. I have that, too, but I feel deep down that the coaches and players feel the embarrassment
more than so many on this board think. Everyone, I mean everyone was crowing, verbally preening, shouting to the
mountaintop the praises of the Sooners after FSU and *. How quickly they turned..............I'm thinking the Hawkeyes
are in for a Sooner type whuppin'..............

SoonerLaw09
12/8/2011, 05:25 PM
I think the best we can hope for is a blizzard in Iowa City a few nights before teh game...

rock on sooner
12/8/2011, 05:30 PM
I think the best we can hope for is a blizzard in Iowa City a few nights before teh game... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I live 80 miles east of there and that would mean that I get it before they
do..............

Neath a Western Sky
12/8/2011, 05:30 PM
I would not go even if I were offered free ticks, lodging, and transportation, but I respect those of you who would and will. You are good, loyal fans.

rock on sooner
12/8/2011, 05:31 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I live 80 miles east of there and that would mean that I get it before they
do.............. Actually, it is west of there! I got so excited when you said that I forgot my direction!

starclassic tama
12/8/2011, 05:33 PM
It has nothing to do with mad. It has to do with I ain't rich, and if'n Ima gonna spend my hard earned cash it won't be to go see the Sooners mail it in and get squashed in a minor bowl game.if you really think OU is going to get squashed by iowa, you have problems upstairs

SoonerMom2
12/8/2011, 05:49 PM
OU is mailing the tickets starting Monday and after intially saying I wasn't going, I am going. Decided I couldn't miss the game!

I Am Right
12/8/2011, 06:43 PM
Home

yermom
12/8/2011, 07:30 PM
going, pending scheduling issues. i'd say i'm 80/20

MHSooner
12/8/2011, 07:30 PM
I'll be there with my daughter. I would be going even if we hobbled into the game with a 6 and 6 record.

:pride:

Sooner_Tuf
12/8/2011, 08:12 PM
going, pending scheduling issues. i'd say i'm 80/20

I'm about 80/30 sure I'm going myself, maybe even 90/40.

AlbqSooner
12/8/2011, 09:29 PM
Not going. I will be finishing out the year of my personal health hell recovering from one more surgery. But I scheduled it so that I will be on leave through the bowl games. HEH!

fadada1
12/8/2011, 10:04 PM
First one I will miss since 98 or so....
we went to a bowl game with blake??? that must've been a hellofa hit to the head i took.....

ELP Sooner
12/26/2011, 11:45 AM
Section 31 row 11....where are you going to be sitting?

badger
12/26/2011, 12:01 PM
I've been to Sooner non-BCS bowls, and they're tons more fun than the BCS variety. The fans that go are a lot more laid back and fun, both opposing fans and Sooner fans. We meet up with each other, from Arky in the Cotton to Oregon in the Holiday and we're all like "Hehe, nothing like a derailed season of such high expectations, hehe" and they're all like "word. nuther beer should make us forget about those d@mn losses" and when the game finally rolls around, it's fun to see football one last time, send the seniors off and head home.

The BCS games, especially the ones for national titles, everybody's wound up soooo tightly that you're trying to avoid the opposing idiots so that they don't try to engage you in a battle of trash talking. Please leave the blond chick alone, overweight, balding opposing fan. I don't give a crap about what the rankings are or who you beat. Go pick on someone your own size... or at least your own age!

Years of that later, I highly recommend the mid-tier bowls over the top tier ones. The tickets usually cost less and while there's less on the line for the teams perhaps, they are much more fun. The ones where there's bragging rights, BCS crap and national titles on the line? Stay home where you can scream at the TV... or the message boards.

sooneredaco
12/26/2011, 12:17 PM
I really want to go but I'm too broke to. So I'll be watching on TV pulling for OUr boys. I would go if I could and tell my brains out (and drink like crazy too)

AlboSooner
12/26/2011, 12:22 PM
I will be traveling to see family that day, but I'm happy to see many Sooner fans will support their team regardless of a disappointing season.

Neath a Western Sky
12/26/2011, 12:23 PM

:bee::tiger::smiley_simmons::excitement::angel::ve ry_drunk::cat:

sooneredaco
12/26/2011, 12:23 PM
I will be traveling to see family that day, but I'm happy to see many Sooner fans will support their team regardless of a disappointing season.

Is that not the definition of a fan? A TRUE fan...!

Sooner91ATL
12/26/2011, 12:29 PM
Will be on the road traveling with my family. I enjoy Phoenix and would like to be there yet again but will be a thousand miles away.

That said, I would be surprised if our hobbled offense scores more than 17 points max so it is going to be a long game for those who go wishing to see a dominant performance. Regardless of point spread I think this is in no way a gimme for us. We will need to play at pre-Kansas levels to prevail.

oudivesherpa
12/26/2011, 11:15 PM
I'm going to Florida. Too bad there are NO bowls in Florida for the Big XII. I don't like Zona, no beach, I'll go next year when OU plays in Miami!

FirstandGoal
12/26/2011, 11:58 PM
I have to admit that in this economy, I respect any Sooner fan who lays out hard earned $$$ to travel and go to this game. I really wish I could say I was going but hell I can barely afford to make it to games right here in Norman. I have a real good friend who lives in Miami and who can get me free Orange Bowl tickets, so I guess I'm just gonna have to pray that we make it to one of those some day.

For those of you who are going, I wish you a fantastic and safe trip!

Soonerfan88
12/27/2011, 09:59 AM
So, last minute change of plans for my brother and I now have an extra ticket in section 27. If anyone wants it, just ask.

budbarrybob
12/27/2011, 01:20 PM
I'm workin... but, after, I'm watching the game fo sho. And will be unless it turns into TGOWWDNS

Soonermagik
12/27/2011, 02:07 PM
I'm not going. I've watched this team lose to Boise in the Fiesta Bowl, lose to BYU in Dallas and lose to Florida for the National title. Driving home from Dallas I told my wife I was done going to road games for OU.

Even if OU wins this game.. who cares? They will have beaten Iowa in a crappy bowl. They were favored to win it all, but yet here they are playing freaking Iowa in the desert of all places.. again. No thanks.

Harry Beanbag
12/28/2011, 09:42 AM
Somebody that works for Insight gave me free tickets. I'll be going with friends and booze.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/28/2011, 12:14 PM
I'm going to Florida. Too bad there are NO bowls in Florida for the Big XII. I don't like Zona, no beach, I'll go next year when OU plays in Miami!Ah the days: OU wins, and goes to the Orange Bowl for a NC game, or at least a top 5 finish. Work in a day or 2 of offshore fishing during the trip...HOW THE HE*L DID THE BIG 8-12 GIVE UP THE ORANGE BOWL, AND GET GOLF COUNTRY INSTEAD?!?!?

12/28/2011, 12:17 PM
QUOTE=Soonerfan88;3430473]So, last minute change of plans for my brother and I now have an extra ticket in section 27. If anyone wants it, just ask.

What yd line is it on, and what do you want for it?

soonervegas
12/28/2011, 01:44 PM
Ah the days: OU wins, and goes to the Orange Bowl for a NC game, or at least a top 5 finish. Work in a day or 2 of offshore fishing during the trip...HOW THE HE*L DID THE BIG 8-12 GIVE UP THE ORANGE BOWL, AND GET GOLF COUNTRY INSTEAD?!?!?

Yeah there was a little magic to Orange Bowls, even in disappointing near miss years. The Fiesta? I could care less.

Soonerfan88
12/28/2011, 02:58 PM
What yd line is it on, and what do you want for it?

Sent you a PM

yermom
12/28/2011, 04:08 PM
Ah the days: OU wins, and goes to the Orange Bowl for a NC game, or at least a top 5 finish. Work in a day or 2 of offshore fishing during the trip...HOW THE HE*L DID THE BIG 8-12 GIVE UP THE ORANGE BOWL, AND GET GOLF COUNTRY INSTEAD?!?!?

powerful words from someone that lives commuting distance to either AZ bowl...

i'm headed that way here this afternoon. looks like the 80 beat the 20.

seeing Albq's post in here again was a bummer :(

12/28/2011, 05:56 PM
powerful words from someone that lives commuting distance to either AZ bowl...

i'm headed that way here this afternoon. looks like the 80 beat the 20.

seeing Albq's post in here again was a bummer :(Fishing is my main hobby. Here in PHX, I'm about 4 hrs from the Gullf of California(Sea of Cortez)

yermom
12/28/2011, 05:59 PM
i'm just sayin', not even the guy in Phoenix likes our bowl tie-ins :D

12/28/2011, 06:06 PM
i'm just sayin', not even the guy in Phoenix likes our bowl tie-ins :DOn top of no ocean,The Fiesta always gets stuck with a visiting team that is not a top choice. (for example, orange aggy should play the Nike Quackers, or Wisconsin, or somebody rated higher than Stanford.)

At least Stanford is a better(IMHO) opponent than Boise State, or 2nd in their conference WVA, or UeffingCONN.

allanace16
12/28/2011, 11:49 PM
Yep. I'm out here. I think Tempe's a fun town, though the Big 12 bowl tie-ins as a whole are kinda lacking. I'd rather us still go to the Orange Bowl, but it's decently warm out here, ASU girls are quite attractive, and we all know the Fiesta Bowl committee knows how to throw a good party (Fiesta Bowl committee oversees the Insight Bowl as well). Hoping to see some more fellow Sooners on Mill tonight.

oudavid1
12/29/2011, 12:12 AM
if you really think OU is going to get squashed by iowa, you have problems upstairs

When you lose to tech at home, you cant rule it out.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 12:15 AM
When you lose to tech at home, you cant rule it out.

I don't see Iowa as the type of team that could squash us. But that doesn't mean they can't win -- and if we lose by 1 or by 30, it's would still be a loss.

oudavid1
12/29/2011, 12:25 AM
I don't see Iowa as the type of team that could squash us. But that doesn't mean they can't win -- and if we lose by 1 or by 30, it's would still be a loss.

Oh I know. But we didnt think tech could beat us in Norman, so why couldnt Iowa beat us in a neutral site. Let us not underestimate a bowl-eligible team.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 09:48 AM
Oh I know. But we didnt think tech could beat us in Norman, so why couldnt Iowa beat us in a neutral site. Let us not underestimate a bowl-eligible team.

That's pretty much what I said. I only contended they could "squash" us - i.e win by a large margin. They are not a team that can spread us out and pick us apart. But just about any defense could confound our offense right now; I just hope these extra practices has given our guys a chance to develop some rhythm. Also, as soon as I heard that Whaley and Flemming were out, I *was* worried about the Tech game in Norman (I didn't know until game time).

cvsooner
12/29/2011, 12:27 PM
On top of no ocean,The Fiesta always gets stuck with a visiting team that is not a top choice. (for example, orange aggy should play the Nike Quackers, or Wisconsin, or somebody rated higher than Stanford.)

At least Stanford is a better(IMHO) opponent than Boise State, or 2nd in their conference WVA, or UeffingCONN.I'm sorry, this statement of yours makes no sense.

BCS Standings
1 LSU
2 Alabama
3 Oklahoma State
4 Stanford
5 Oregon
6 Arkansas
7 Boise State
8 Kansas State
9 South Carolina
10 Wisconsin

So, how exactly could OSewe play somebody ranked higher than Stanford? Unless it's Alabama or LSU?

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 12:47 PM
I'm sorry, this statement of yours makes no sense.

BCS Standings
1 LSU
2 Alabama
3 Oklahoma State
4 Stanford
5 Oregon
6 Arkansas
7 Boise State
8 Kansas State
9 South Carolina
10 Wisconsin

So, how exactly could OSewe play somebody ranked higher than Stanford? Unless it's Alabama or LSU?

This is a great matchup this year. Yes, UO would be better, but they earned the Rose bowl, so what do you expect. The Fiesta has gotten very good teams in the past. Boise and WVU were very good (just not "brand name") and the horns played tOSU. Only Uconn was the one we got stuck with due to AQ rules.

12/29/2011, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry, this statement of yours makes no sense.

BCS Standings
1 LSU
2 Alabama
3 Oklahoma State
4 Stanford
5 Oregon
6 Arkansas
7 Boise State
8 Kansas State
9 South Carolina
10 Wisconsin

So, how exactly could OSewe play somebody ranked higher than Stanford? Unless it's Alabama or LSU?I APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY, and in a groveling way, for the Stanford statement. I DID NOT KNOW or even imagine that Stanford was rated that high. If OA is on their game, they will beat Stanford comfortably, I believe. I would have liked to see the OA take on the Quacks.

12/29/2011, 01:05 PM
This is a great matchup this year. Yes, UO would be better, but they earned the Rose bowl, so what do you expect. The Fiesta has gotten very good teams in the past. Boise and WVU were very good (just not "brand name") and the horns played tOSU. Only Uconn was the one we got stuck with due to AQ rules.You remember the Boise deal. We were expected to win, and it would have been a "no respect" win if we had beaten them. WVA had just lost their league championship game to Pittsburg before coming to the Fiesta Bowl.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 03:04 PM
You remember the Boise deal. We were expected to win, and it would have been a "no respect" win if we had beaten them. WVA had just lost their league championship game to Pittsburg before coming to the Fiesta Bowl.

All those "expectations" don't matter to me - it's what is on the field that counts. Boise was very good and WVA was 1 game off from playing for the BCS title. They lost to Pitt because Pat White was injured in that game and we got to see first hand how good they were with a healthy Pat White. I also don't buy into that "no respect" BS with a win. You play the opponent you draw and if you win, it's a 'W'. I'll agree that Uconn was a disappointment, but it was luck of the draw and it's happened to other teams. UGA/Hawaii, UF/Cincinnati, Utah/Pitt are a few BCS mis-matches I can recall. If we had stayed healthy and been matched against Stanford in the Fiesta this year, I would have been delighted.

12/29/2011, 03:41 PM
Swell!

We need to join the Pac 12 so we can play in the Rose Bowl, or the ACC, so we can get back to the Orange Bowl

cvsooner
12/29/2011, 06:48 PM
Boise was ranked fifth in the country and unbeaten. We were a bunch of overachievers that year. The last quarter was entertaining and the outcome wasn't that big a surprise to me. (Disappointing, yes, but not surprising. That said, we were *that* close to winning it. And should have.)

WVU as noted was a legitimate National Championship Contender and played like it. Meanwhile, we brought our 'meh' game. I was extremely disappointed in the outcome but again, not all that surprised, between injuries, too many 'I'm waiting on the draft' attitudes and especially the caliber of opponent. Even if we had been healthy I'm not sure we'd have won that game. Sam and Allen Patrick seemed to be the only people on the field who cared what happened in that game.

oudavid1
12/29/2011, 07:17 PM
That's pretty much what I said. I only contended they could "squash" us - i.e win by a large margin. They are not a team that can spread us out and pick us apart. But just about any defense could confound our offense right now; I just hope these extra practices has given our guys a chance to develop some rhythm. Also, as soon as I heard that Whaley and Flemming were out, I *was* worried about the Tech game in Norman (I didn't know until game time).

You can blow a team out with running the ball and turnovers. Thats how OKState got us. Weeden was a threat, but did not put up a lot.

cvsooner
12/29/2011, 08:33 PM
But I think we were so concerned about the passing game of OSewe that we basically couldn't defend the run, being afraid it was just going to go over our heads, a la Baylor.

oudavid1
12/29/2011, 11:44 PM
But I think we were so concerned about the passing game of OSewe that we basically couldn't defend the run, being afraid it was just going to go over our heads, a la Baylor.

I agree 100%, that helped OSU so much in the redzone. They would put Blackmon out wide with that diamond formation and we would have to try our best to watch Blackmon with that fade and they would run it with a good lead block. Very smart.

But turnovers won them that game, no question.

BoulderSooner79
12/29/2011, 11:51 PM
But turnovers won them that game, no question.

That and the fact they were a way better team. We lose even with no turnovers - they just put us out of our misery earlier.

oudavid1
12/29/2011, 11:55 PM
That and the fact they were a way better team. We lose even with no turnovers - they just put us out of our misery earlier.

I think turnovers gave them momentum to win the way they did. I think OU had enough talent to compete. But your point is more obviously correct than mine will ever be.

Vegas Sooner
12/30/2011, 02:53 AM
Vegas Alumni on the way!

ELP Sooner
1/1/2012, 10:30 PM
Back from the game.

Oddest sight...OU fan in OU gear with a USC visor.

Iowa fans....Nice folks...louder than us by a good margin

OU fans...typically nice...a few drunks (I blame that on the selling of alcohol at the game...hate that)

OU band got killed at halftime by Iowa. I used to think the fire brian britt thing was a joke on here...now I wonder. Boomer Sooner sounded good...as usual.

yermom
1/1/2012, 11:22 PM
Iowa fans were out in force. they didn't really talk much...

SoonerMom2
1/2/2012, 12:56 AM
The worst fans in Tempe were the orange neon colored tennis shoe wearing Aggies. We spent an extra day to go shopping at Old Town in Scottsdale and several times they made comments as they walked by why are 'they' still here. Same thing happened at the hotel. One Aggie said it as I walked over to get a bottle of water so I walked up to a Stanford fan and wished them Good Luck in the Fiesta Bowl right in front of the jerk! Iowa fans were pretty nice. Sooner section where we sat had a bunch of people who acted like they had never been to a Sooner game and barely cheered. There were a lot more Sooner fans than I expected. We had a great turnout but the donors were the usual sit on your hands and not yell! Stood the whole game and waited for someone to say sit down but that never happened. :) Had a great time and got one of the gloves that Tyler Evans (75) threw into the stands. Great win!

1/2/2012, 01:24 AM
But turnovers won them that game, no question.That, and our unwillingness to blitz.

1/2/2012, 01:32 AM
(RE: the orange aggy)That and the fact they were a way better team. We lose even with no turnovers - they just put us out of our misery earlier.Holy cow, er ah ewe. We have more talent across the whole team than the oa's. We were/are in the middle of some difficulties that we are trying to overcome, and the halloweenies caught us at a vulnerable time. The oa defense is a real stinker, and has been all year. We didn't even capitalize on that in Agwater that night.