PDA

View Full Version : Plan B won't be available OTC to younger teens, HHS says

Ton Loc
12/8/2011, 11:49 AM
Plan B One-Step, the so-called "morning after pill," won't be made available over the counter to girls younger than 17, regardless of a previous Food and Drug Administration recommendation, according to a statement by U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.

The rest of the story (http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/07/9276757-plan-b-wont-be-available-otc-to-younger-teens-hhs-says?ocid=ansmsnbc11)

Why do we keep shooting ourselves in the foot? A proven way to cut down on unwanted pregnancies, and yet we f' it up.

Midtowner
12/8/2011, 11:50 AM
Blame the poorly educated scientifically illiterate masses.

Ton Loc
12/8/2011, 12:04 PM
Maybe the lobbyists didn't pony up enough cash to someone. Surely they didn't think just because this was common sense that it would go through...did they?

Dale Ellis
12/8/2011, 12:05 PM
The rest of the story (http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/07/9276757-plan-b-wont-be-available-otc-to-younger-teens-hhs-says?ocid=ansmsnbc11)

Why do we keep shooting ourselves in the foot? A proven way to cut down on unwanted pregnancies, and yet we f' it up.

Guess folks better keep their junk in their pants.

Ton Loc
12/8/2011, 12:22 PM
If things were only that easy.

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/8/2011, 01:53 PM

Because Jesus didn't use it. Abstinence is the only 100% proven way to prevent pregnan-

Dale Ellis
12/8/2011, 02:37 PM
If things were only that easy.

You're right, if it's not easy, just forget about it.

badger
12/8/2011, 02:44 PM
Birth rates tend to reflect the economy, so perhaps we no longer need birth control. Just more recession :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
12/8/2011, 02:57 PM
Or perhaps Shame should re-enter the equation...If people actually were shamed for certain actions, then perhaps people would self-police.

IBleedCrimson
12/8/2011, 06:01 PM
All you anti-abortion people: Here is a simple and effective way to prevent some abortions. Its like a chemical condom, it simply prevents a pregnancy from happening.

But you don't really care about that stuff do you? What you really care about is young people banging away like rabbits without consequences. For some reason, that keeps you up at night.

If you really want govnt to get the hell out of the way, be consistent. Quit screaming for a smaller govnt, then have the govnt conveniently get in everybodies business when it suits your retarded illogical beliefs.

Sooner5030
12/8/2011, 11:53 PM
why is this f-ing thread a bitchfest about the plan b pill and abortion?

the link was about 17 and younger not being able to buy it OTC.

Talk to your parents.....get a script.

Serge Ibaka
12/9/2011, 12:10 AM
Or perhaps Shame should re-enter the equation...If people actually were shamed for certain actions, then perhaps people would self-police.

Yeah! I agree with this guy! Being a teen-parent is TOTALLY KEWL nowadays! Makes you super-popular! WHERE IS THE SHAME, AMERICA?!

eyeroll. Kids have sex. Kids have always had sex. Kids will always have sex. Provide them with honest and mature discourse, and give them access to necessary contraceptive technologies.

Ton Loc
12/9/2011, 12:15 AM
why is this f-ing thread a bitchfest about the plan b pill and abortion?

the link was about 17 and younger not being able to buy it OTC.

Talk to your parents.....get a script.

Because talking to your parents has worked so far...

What exactly is the harm in having it available to kids younger than 17?

Sooner5030
12/9/2011, 12:20 AM
Because talking to your parents has worked so far...

What exactly is the harm in having it available to kids younger than 17?

I'm not a social conservative nor am I anti-choice. But I am very hesitant to throw a fit about the DHHS director deciding that parents and/or doctors should still be in the loop when a 17 year old needs the plan b pill.

Ton Loc
12/9/2011, 09:05 AM
I'm not a social conservative nor am I anti-choice. But I am very hesitant to throw a fit about the DHHS director deciding that parents and/or doctors should still be in the loop when a 17 year old needs the plan b pill.

I'd agree that the parents should be in the conversation, but I'm guessing the majority of the time the parents aren't involved until its too late, the parents don't care, they don't have parents, or they can't get to a doctor.

cleller
12/9/2011, 09:24 AM
One possibility is that if any 14 year old could buy it, some of these lame-brains would be finding ways to misuse it we could never dream up.

I personally would not care if they could buy it, but there is always that segment that is so stupid and immature you have to withhold things, lest another segment criticize you into oblivion. The news media is always happy to make anyone they can look stupid in hindsight.

soonercruiser
12/9/2011, 12:11 PM
Plan A: Go ahead and have sex! If what GOD meant to happen, happens, worry about it later.
(Guy's view - let her worry about it!)

Plan B: Try to kill it myself, with a miracle of modern chemistry!
(Isn't that what GOD gave us an intellect for?)

Plan C: Call "Planned Parentless". Have them kill the unwanted, innocent child!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/9/2011, 12:32 PM
I'd agree that the parents should be in the conversation, but I'm guessing the majority of the time the parents aren't involved until its too late, the parents don't care, they don't have parents...

This is the biggest issue. If kids had parents that were part of their lives and the parents lived a moral and honorable life, they would pass on good civics to their offspring and perhaps this wouldn't be such an issue. And Serge, yes kids have sex, but if the have a healthy relationship with their parents , have good communication, perhaps they wouldn't have sex, would think about it twice or would use contraception, rather than kids having kids in search of love or having to live with bad choices.

Ton Loc
12/9/2011, 12:55 PM
Fellas, lots of comments on how bad things are, how stupid kids are, or how things should be isn't helping the problem. Fact is, kids are having sex, lets keep it to just the sexin and at least stop the baby making while we address all those other issues.

I'm glad in your house or in your view this Plan B will not be needed. I'm worried about the others that don't have those parents, role models, or whatever it is that they are currently missing.

Midtowner
12/9/2011, 01:54 PM
This is the biggest issue. If kids had parents that were part of their lives and the parents lived a moral and honorable life, they would pass on good civics to their offspring and perhaps this wouldn't be such an issue. And Serge, yes kids have sex, but if the have a healthy relationship with their parents , have good communication, perhaps they wouldn't have sex, would think about it twice or would use contraception, rather than kids having kids in search of love or having to live with bad choices.

I don't care how you raise kids, they eventually become young adults. Some will be perfect children, others will do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Blaming the parents here in such a categorical way is just silly. Kids are going to have sex. They always will. What sense does it make to deny them contraceptive devices?

IBleedCrimson
12/9/2011, 03:20 PM
[B]Plan B: Try to kill it myself, with a miracle of modern chemistry!
(Isn't that what GOD gave us an intellect for?)

You realize that this pill doesn't kill the fetus right? If a chick is pregnant and she takes this thing, it does nothing. However, it does prevent an egg from being dropped before it can meet up with the squigglies. It simply prevents the egg and sperm from meeting, just like a condom, except the condom stops the sterm and this thing stops the egg...

So it could actually prevent some abortions because a girl who makes a mistake and isn't on the pill can take one of these instead.

pphilfran
12/9/2011, 03:28 PM
You realize that this pill doesn't kill the fetus right? If a chick is pregnant and she takes this thing, it does nothing. However, it does prevent an egg from being dropped before it can meet up with the squigglies. It simply prevents the egg and sperm from meeting, just like a condom, except the condom stops the sterm and this thing stops the egg...

So it could actually prevent some abortions because a girl who makes a mistake and isn't on the pill can take one of these instead.

There are times when the egg can be fertilized and in that case the drug does not allow the egg to attach to the wall...

And for those that believe human life begins at fertilization this is a deal ender...

soonercruiser
12/9/2011, 05:53 PM
Midtowner,
I agree partially about blaming all parents.
But, there is a significant difference between a contraceptive, and an abortifacent!

"Plan B" makes the uterus slough off a fertilized egg, even if already implanted.

pphilfran
12/9/2011, 06:03 PM
Blame the poorly educated scientifically illiterate masses.

We are talking 16 and under here...a parent should not allow a 15 year old to be in a place for any amount of time that might lead to exposure... :)