BillyBall
12/6/2011, 01:02 PM
I'd say its a 50/40 chance.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2011, 01:03 PM
Even his tweet says it is his opinion.

goingoneight
12/6/2011, 01:04 PM
It would be a mistake on Bob's part to let his brother get away if'n Mike just wants to go back to position coaching or coordinating. Like when he let Josh get away for one season. Coincidentally the worst offense (QB play) year in the Stoops era.

TUSooner
12/6/2011, 01:04 PM
Sayeth the Blev:

If my updated & informed opinion is correct & MikeStoops indeed returns to #OU, it will be the best news the #Sooners will have had in years

Not the most authoritative prnouncement I have ever heard.

oudavid1
12/6/2011, 01:05 PM
Sayeth the Blev:

Not the most authoritative prnouncement I have ever heard.

Yeah, but I also was told by someone with information (poster on this board) that Mike Stoops recently moved back to Norman.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 01:06 PM
Blevins uses Twitter to do Stream of Consciousness messages that are misleading and often hard to read. I think it is irresponsible for him to say things like that because he is followed by the national media and they often miss words like "opinion".

TUSooner
12/6/2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but I also was told by someone with information (poster on this board) that Mike Stoops recently moved back to Norman.

Dave - I hope it's true. I'm just saying that DBlev's tweet was hardly a guarantee.

oudavid1
12/6/2011, 01:07 PM
Blevins uses Twitter to do Stream of Consciousness messages that are misleading and often hard to read. I think it is irresponsible for him to say things like that because he is followed by the national media and they often miss words like "opinion".

...this thread is going to get locked isnt it....

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 01:08 PM
Why don't you just edit the title, David?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2011, 01:11 PM
This is from 2 hours ago

Former Arizona coach Mike Stoops says he would consider the Nebraska defensive coordinator’s job if it is offered to him.

Huskers coach Bo Pelini has to fill the opening left when his brother, Carl, left to become head coach at Florida Atlantic.

Stoops said Tuesday he would be interested in either a coordinator or head coaching job. He declined to comment on whether Bo Pelini had discussed a job at Nebraska with him.

Stoops said he watched Nebraska three or four times on television and is impressed with the Cornhuskers’ defensive system.

Arizona fired the 49-year-old Stoops halfway through his eighth season after the Wildcats got off to a 1-5 start.

The Pelini and Stoops families are close friends from their days in Youngstown, Ohio.

Sooner in Tampa
12/6/2011, 01:19 PM
If Mike goes to the bugeaters.........

oudavid1
12/6/2011, 01:20 PM

Because it puts it all on Blevins.

MamaMia
12/6/2011, 01:25 PM
I seriously doubt Mike will come back if Venables stays.

OULenexaman
12/6/2011, 01:29 PM
...this thread is going to get locked isnt it.... your probably OK on this one tweetie boy...

SoonerLaw09
12/6/2011, 01:32 PM
I seriously doubt Mike will come back if Venables stays.

^^^^this.

In order for Mike to come back Venables has to go. Won't happen until the offseason if it does. And I don't foresee Venables leaving unless he has another gig that's at least a lateral move, if not a step up. Trouble is, who would hire him right now?

rock on sooner
12/6/2011, 01:51 PM
Well, there 20 something openings for HC at all levels and will probably be a couple more. I think BV should
look closely at a stepping stone school. Bob certainly won't stand in his way. The Stoops' fire would be
rekindled for sure if Mike came back. Interesting idea.......

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2011, 01:52 PM
There is a scenario that Venables could stay. Give him the title of Co-Asst. Head Coach (Linebackers) along w/ Bobby Jack. You can't forget that Venables and Mike worked pretty danged well together.

Martinez in that scenario goes. (IMO.)

Speculation speculation speculation. Not knowing anything is soooo much fun!

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2011, 01:56 PM
Like when he let Josh get away for one season. Coincidentally the worst offense (QB play) year in the Stoops era.

Until this year. Landry regressed well before Broyles went down. What does that tell you about where Heupel needs to be and where he doesn't necessarily belong?

Bring back the fat man! (Except, of course, for the fact that he was about to get in the same trouble here that he got in at KU.)

Mad Dog Madsen
12/6/2011, 01:57 PM
I'd say its a 50/40 chance.

I'd give it about a 23% chance of happening.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/6/2011, 02:06 PM
Coach Stoops hasn't screamed at an assistant during a live game since his early days when he, Mike Stoops and Brent Venables all jawed at each other. It was very uncharacteristic of him to chew out Willie Martinez, which leads me to take he has had some emotion building up about philosophical differences with Martinez and the desire to bring Mike Stoops back. I imagine Martinez will be gone after the bowl game and Mike Stoops will be on staff and getting prepped for spring drills. It goes without saying that this is merely my opinion, but I am saying it anyway. :)

rock on sooner
12/6/2011, 02:10 PM
Coach Stoops hasn't screamed at an assistant during a live game since his early days when he, Mike Stoops and Brent Venables all jawed at each other. It was very uncharacteristic of him to chew out Willie Martinez, which leads me to take he has had some emotion building up about philosophical differences with Martinez and the desire to bring Mike Stoops back. I imagine Martinez will be gone after the bowl game and Mike Stoops will be on staff and getting prepped for spring drills. It goes without saying that this is merely my opinion, but I am saying it anyway. :) I like your opinion!

possumfat
12/6/2011, 02:10 PM
I second your opinon!!

rainiersooner
12/6/2011, 02:22 PM
Even his tweet says it is his opinion.

But, it's both updated AND informed...what does that even mean!!?

TUSooner
12/6/2011, 02:29 PM
Something like...

Dean Blevins has an updated and informed opinon that it will be very good for OU if Mike Stoops comes back.

Meh, not much of a ring to it.

Neath a Western Sky
12/6/2011, 02:33 PM
There is a scenario that Venables could stay. Give him the title of Co-Asst. Head Coach (Linebackers) along w/ Bobby Jack. You can't forget that Venables and Mike worked pretty danged well together.

Something like this, as I said yesterday.

sooneredaco
12/6/2011, 02:47 PM
My sources tell me that ir's a done deal. Mike is back. It was the plan all along. He'll be living in the west wing of the Stoops mansion. It was part of the whole process when Bobby started building his hacienda. I'd rather not say who my sources are. It was said in confidence and I've been threatened with life if I say anything....

8timechamps
12/6/2011, 02:55 PM

I can see this happening before Stoops letting BV go. It would make sense, and might just work.

TUSooner
12/6/2011, 03:04 PM
My sources tell me that ir's a done deal. Mike is back. It was the plan all along. He'll be living in the west wing of the Stoops mansion. It was part of the whole process when Bobby started building his hacienda. I'd rather not say who my sources are. It was said in confidence and I've been threatened with life if I say anything....

Aha!! There is no "west wing" of Chateau de Stoops. YOU LIE !!!

sooneredaco
12/6/2011, 03:06 PM

Aha!! There is no "west wing" of Chateau de Stoops. YOU LIE !!!

Crap! I'm busted

goingoneight
12/6/2011, 03:10 PM
deano and Sittler talking out their asses again.

SoonerNate
12/6/2011, 03:15 PM
I'm trying to remember. Did Blevins break the story about Bob Stoops coming to Oklahoma back in the day or was it BBJ? (or other)

SoonerorLater
12/6/2011, 03:18 PM

I was thinking 24 or 25% chance but you could be right.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2011, 03:19 PM
Dean did break the story that Stoops was going to Florida.

stoopified
12/6/2011, 03:19 PM

Speculation speculation speculation. Not knowing anything is soooo much fun!That is the most likely scenario for a possible Mike return IMHO too.

swardboy
12/6/2011, 03:27 PM
Couldn't we bring back Switzer in an emeritus role? Like "Asst. Coach of Special Teams" or somesuch nonsense?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2011, 03:33 PM
Yup..I think we should rehire switzer, hire back Galen Hall from Penn State, Get Watson or mack Brown either one, and hire back Gary Gibbs..

Widescreen
12/6/2011, 03:36 PM
Yup..I think we should rehire switzer, hire back Galen Hall from Penn State, Get Watson or mack Brown either one, and hire back Gary Gibbs..
http://www.thewirelesscatalog.com/graphics/products/regular/VH8832G.jpg

ObiKaTony
12/6/2011, 03:36 PM
^^^^this.

In order for Mike to come back Venables has to go. Won't happen until the offseason if it does. And I don't foresee Venables leaving unless he has another gig that's at least a lateral move, if not a step up. Trouble is, who would hire him right now?

That last sentence is why Bob is going to "let him go" or move him. Bob knows his team is in big trouble, and he needs to get back to basics. Arm tackles, players giving up, records against our defense etc etc isn't going to cut it. Venebles is gone, or he will be made more irrelevant in the system. Either way I think the defense gets better, there is no where to go but up...

Taxman71
12/6/2011, 05:29 PM
This works out perfectly for Bob Stoops......who else could afford to buy his soon-to-be former house in Norman for $2 million?

SoonerNate
12/6/2011, 05:32 PM
That last sentence is why Bob is going to "let him go" or move him. Bob knows his team is in big trouble, and he needs to get back to basics. Arm tackles, players giving up, records against our defense etc etc isn't going to cut it. Venebles is gone, or he will be made more irrelevant in the system. Either way I think the defense gets better, there is no where to go but up...

So answer me this then. Why when others have posted regarding the need for this has it been so heavily scrutinized. If BV goes, all of those that got onto us for posting that he was bad for the program owe us an apology.

soonervegas
12/6/2011, 05:36 PM
Dean did break the story that Stoops was going to Florida.

His 2nd finest moment.....

BigRedTradition
12/6/2011, 06:52 PM
It will be interesting to see where Mike lands. We in Nebraska would love him in Lincoln! You guys seem really upset with BV... so the consensus is BV will be terminated or rendered irrelevant? Sorry, I haven't read every post. You guys still had a good year...sorry
for the misfortunes, but B Stoops will get it back on track. You guys are lucky to have such an outstanding coach. :)

bonkuba
12/6/2011, 06:54 PM
It will be interesting to see where Mike lands. We in Nebraska would love him in Lincoln! You guys seem really upset with BV... so the consensus is BV will be terminated or rendered irrelevant? Sorry, I haven't read every post. You guys still had a good year...sorry
for the misfortunes, but B Stoops will get it back on track. You guys are lucky to have such an outstanding coach. :)

True....we are spoiled.......ya wouldnt know we even had a coach around here sometimes...... :excitement:

BigRedTradition
12/6/2011, 07:03 PM
True....we are spoiled.......ya wouldnt know we even had a coach around here sometimes...... :excitement:

It's shocking, because Stoops really is so great...it was shocking to see the OSU game. But hey...sometimes that happens. I'm sure it will fire Stoops up pretty well, and that is a good thing! :)

TXBOOMER
12/6/2011, 07:46 PM
Coach Stoops hasn't screamed at an assistant during a live game since his early days when he, Mike Stoops and Brent Venables all jawed at each other. It was very uncharacteristic of him to chew out Willie Martinez, which leads me to take he has had some emotion building up about philosophical differences with Martinez and the desire to bring Mike Stoops back. I imagine Martinez will be gone after the bowl game and Mike Stoops will be on staff and getting prepped for spring drills. It goes without saying that this is merely my opinion, but I am saying it anyway. :)

If Stoops has philosophical differences with Martinez and he didn't sh1t can his azz he needs to turn in his resignation. I'll be GD'ed if an asst. coach should be allowed to F the HC's plan because of philosophical differences for more than one day.

PLaw
12/6/2011, 08:40 PM
^^^^this.

With each passing season, BV's stock goes down for a good HC job. It seems like every year, coordinators with less experience are being offered jobs. If BV is holding out for a gig comparable to OU, then he will be in Norman as long as Bob is here.

Boom

Just sayin'.

Red Ada
12/6/2011, 08:57 PM
Mike Stoops to Arkansas as DC:)

TanTanFeil
12/6/2011, 09:07 PM
Mike Stoops needs to go to Arkansas since they just fired ol Willie

picasso
12/6/2011, 09:20 PM
Umm yeah, ok.

budbarrybob
12/6/2011, 09:58 PM
This works out perfectly for Bob Stoops......who else could afford to buy his soon-to-be former house in Norman for $2 million?

OMG??!! Yes! Thats it!!! Bob built the "Stoops" Mansion using Mike's plans for construction. :applause:

the-rover
12/6/2011, 10:49 PM

I was thinking more like about 16.8%, but I hope you're closer.

wishbonesooner
12/6/2011, 10:58 PM
I don't know guys, Mike left us in a run at a national championship. I'll always think it distracted us the week we played K-State. Jason White was injured in that game and you know the rest of the story. Maybe any of us would look to move ahead in our profession too, but I've never had the warm fuzzies for Mike like a lot of you do.

oudavid1
12/6/2011, 11:30 PM
Something like...

Dean Blevins has an updated and informed opinon that it will be very good for OU if Mike Stoops comes back.

Meh, not much of a ring to it.

I have learned 3 things on this board:

1. My math sucks.
2. I am never going to win.

cccasooner2
12/6/2011, 11:43 PM
I have learned 3 things on this board:

1. My math sucks.
2. I am never going to win.

What were you expecting to win?

cvsooner
12/7/2011, 01:54 AM
I don't know guys, Mike left us in a run at a national championship. I'll always think it distracted us the week we played K-State. Jason White was injured in that game and you know the rest of the story. Maybe any of us would look to move ahead in our profession too, but I've never had the warm fuzzies for Mike like a lot of you do.Had to get started on recruiting. He was an employee of the University of Arizona. Can't fault him for that. From the results his coming back to 'fix' the defense against KSU was a colossal failure as well.

BASSooner
12/7/2011, 03:33 AM
Mike Stoops to Arkansas as DC:)
That's cool. I have him as my head coach on NCAA 2012 and just won a championship.

Sooner in Tampa
12/7/2011, 07:00 AM
I think Trammel nailed it in his column today

But does Bobby Stoops (http://www.soonerfans.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Bobby+Stoops&CATEGORY=PERSON) strike you as a man who says, “OK, I give up. I can't do it without you? Please help me.” That's not the Stoops I've seen for 13 years.

"Bobby's" Pride ain't gonna let it happen...amongst other reasons

delhalew
12/7/2011, 08:27 AM
I think Trammel nailed it in his column today

"Bobby's" Pride ain't gonna let it happen...amongst other reasons

That's what really pisses me off.

cvsooner
12/7/2011, 01:05 PM
It's shocking, because Stoops really is so great...it was shocking to see the OSU game. But hey...sometimes that happens. I'm sure it will fire Stoops up pretty well, and that is a good thing! :)I think Stoops was as shocked as anybody. I also suspect he's doing some serious soul-searching on the recruiting trail at the moment.

goingoneight
12/7/2011, 03:25 PM
Having the "Stoops trio" (BV included: see 2000 MNC pregame show) would be great. Bob doesn't have it in him to get rid of someone who isn't doing a terrible job, though. We might have had some bad games this year, but those were problems across the board only made worse by injuries. Having said that though, it would be a huge upgrade with Mike in for Martinez.

ouduckhunter
12/7/2011, 03:34 PM
I think Mike is coming back to OU in some capacity, the details of which are still being worked out. Otherwise, because of all the openings at other schools, I think that he would have already signed on board with one of them.