PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know there was a way around this rule

Jacie
12/6/2011, 12:06 PM
Bowl eligibility is earned with 6 wins with no more than 1 being against an FCS team. However, teams that go 6-7 are not bowl eligible or so I thought.

Actually, this is as close to the Futility Bowl as it gets and as for on-field action, who knows, it could turn out to be a barn burner.

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

Illinois (6-6) vs. UCLA (6-7), Dec. 31: Neither has a coach. And UCLA had to get a waiver from the NCAA to be allowed to play in the game because it has a losing record.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2011, 12:13 PM
I guess a CCG loss is not counted the same as other games. I'm a little surprised that UCLA filed for the waiver since they had already fired Neuheisel and not decided on a new HC. They must have an interim coach for the bowl. I doubt I'll watch this turd because I have to wash my cat that night.

OrlandoSooner
12/6/2011, 12:23 PM
I guess a CCG loss is not counted the same as other games. I'm a little surprised that UCLA filed for the waiver since they had already fired Neuheisel and not decided on a new HC. They must have an interim coach for the bowl. I doubt I'll watch this turd because I have to wash my cat that night.

Getting better is all about the reps. Get the younger players on the field and gain the experience. IMO, there is almost no reason to turn down a bowl opportunity.

rekamrettuB
12/6/2011, 12:35 PM
I read they had to petition the NCAA and it was granted.

allanace16
12/6/2011, 12:36 PM
Problem is UCLA was forced to play in a game we all know it didn't belong in because USC was on probation and ineligible to win the Pac-12 title. So I'm sure the argument to the NCAA for the waiver was something like "We know we're not really the Pac-12 South champs, so why should we have to forfeit our bowl eligibility by playing in the Pac-12 title game when we know we're overmatched because our cross-town rivals cheated?"

So I felt like they deserved their bowl eligibility.

kevpks
12/6/2011, 12:48 PM
I will watch any bowl game because it will be a long time before college football starts back up again.

SoonerorLater
12/6/2011, 01:11 PM
Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl

Illinois (6-6) vs. UCLA (6-7), Dec. 31:

What? weren't Middle Tennessee and Akron available? This bowl might fight Hunger but it sure won't fight boredom. If they want to fight hunger then Kraft could just ship about a warehouse full of their boxes of macaroni and cheese to the less fortunate and save the viewing public this travesty of a game.

AlbqSooner
12/6/2011, 08:42 PM
That game is on New Year's Eve. I am old and no longer drink, but I can find SOMETHING better than that for New Year's.

8timechamps
12/6/2011, 08:56 PM
Getting better is all about the reps. Get the younger players on the field and gain the experience. IMO, there is almost no reason to turn down a bowl opportunity.

The only reason to accept a bid to a bowl like this is to either a) reward the players, and/or b) get reps in. There is no doubt this will cost the schools a large chunk of change. It will be a losing financial proposition, but will add the few extra weeks of practice every program wants.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2011, 05:21 PM
This bowl game is going to be like watching 2 abandoned ships running into each other.

kbsooner21
12/8/2011, 09:56 AM
Meanwhile a decent Western Kentucky team that finished 7-4 sits at home while these 2 turds get a bowl bid.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/8/2011, 10:11 AM
I doubt I'll watch this turd because I have to wash my cat that night.

I didn't know you were a female.

:pride:

goingoneight
12/8/2011, 10:50 AM
This game should be as good for college football as any there is this year. And yes, that's a shot taken at the BCS and the boring, meaningless bowls.

rekamrettuB
12/8/2011, 11:59 AM
This game should be as good for college football as any there is this year. And yes, that's a shot taken at the BCS and the boring, meaningless bowls.

BCS has nothing to do with boring, meaningless bowls.

Doged
12/9/2011, 11:31 AM

Just my opinion, but I'd classify the BCS champ matchup as boring and meaningless.

Jacie
12/9/2011, 09:20 PM

Kind of like how a counter person working at McDonald's has nothing to do with the high fat content of the food . . . they just serve it up to you.

StoopTroup
12/9/2011, 11:03 PM
Boring Meaningless Bowl were when the winner of the Rose Bowl, the Orange Bowl, The Cotton Bowl, The Sugar Bowl....etc....all claimed their winner was the National Championship and then the Sports Writers of the AP Decided that.

That was so much better.

It's OK to bitch that the perfect scenario has never been found but since the BCS was put in place....I think the NCAA has gotten a hell of a lot closer to crowning a National Champion each year that what I endured as a kid growing up. If it wasn't as successful.....the folks running these Bowls wouldn't be making $600,000 a year to do a job that was for two Bowl Games in a one to two week period.

I'm sure the folks who are involved in these BCS Bowls are pretty ecstatic about what they do every year. I'd love to make around $75,000 a year and start going around the Country in November visiting Schools who might make it my Bowl Game and wearing one of those nice jackets. Shaking hands and smiling a lot is really hard.....lol

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UHXbhyJwApY/STOCppXn26I/AAAAAAAAEJc/SGMO3Lsf968/s400/UC+004.jpg

Sugar Bowl Reps....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BnOP43Mv_PY/SQdN9w1vX6I/AAAAAAAAFSo/qMmrc_XDMys/s400/Sugar+Bowl+2004.jpg

Rose Bowl Reps....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gMg0qb5hCao/TFWJx-8dxcI/AAAAAAAAAB4/3l9lAD-K45I/s1600/HippieBus.jpg