PDA

View Full Version : Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 11:19 AM
I hate that it reminds me of United Airlines every time it begins, but once I get over that, I truly enjoy its GREATNESS.

Position Limit
12/6/2011, 11:24 AM
it always reminds me of the opening scene to woody allen's "manhattan".

Mississippi Sooner
12/6/2011, 11:46 AM
I hate that it reminds me of United Airlines every time it begins, but once I get over that, I truly enjoy its GREATNESS.

Yeah, it always reminds me of that commercial with the parrot playing the piano. But get past that, and it's awesomeness.

Viking Kitten
12/6/2011, 01:47 PM
it always reminds me of the opening scene to woody allen's "manhattan".

Yes! I've always love this song too.

You know what's another good one? Debussy's Clair de Lune. I loved how they used it in "Ocean's 11," but it p**ses me off that it is now associated with those f***ing crappy Twilight movies. Stupid sparkly vampires.

NormanPride
12/6/2011, 01:51 PM
Twilight has music? I thought it was all staring and looking pained. And sparkles.

3rdgensooner
12/6/2011, 01:54 PM
Another great tune is Take 5 by Dave Brubeck.

badger
12/6/2011, 01:59 PM
Here you go: Watch this and the association might wear away to one of the best segments of Fantasia 2000:

geRVpFhwEb0

A Sooner in Texas
12/6/2011, 08:41 PM
Yes! I've always love this song too.

You know what's another good one? Debussy's Clair de Lune. I loved how they used it in "Ocean's 11," but it p**ses me off that it is now associated with those f***ing crappy Twilight movies. Stupid sparkly vampires.

Have you ever seen "The Right Stuff?" Awesome movie about the Mercury 7 astronauts. There's a scene toward the end where fan dancer Sally Rand is doing her thing to Clair de Lune. It's beautiful and the music is perfect. I can't hear it without thinking of that scene and the movie.

And yes, "Rhapsody in Blue" is one of the greatest pieces of music ever.

SicEmBaylor
12/6/2011, 09:02 PM
+1 everything said in this thread.

Viking Kitten
12/6/2011, 11:44 PM
The Right Stuff is one of my all time top 10. I was thinking I should have mentioned that scene when I posted earlier.

PS: I still want to marry Dennis Quaid as Gordo Cooper.

Sooner24
12/7/2011, 09:44 AM
When I hear Rhapsody In Blue I think about my brother. He loved it so much they played it at his funeral.