PDA

View Full Version : Help me help myself (Kindle Fire edition)

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 10:06 PM
Another thread seeking the collective wisdom of the SO inhabitants.

Looking into the Kindle Fire for my youngest son, but I'm not a mobile/tech/computer guru by any means. I have an iPad, and I am familiar with how the internet connection works (as a paid service), my question is how does it work on the Kindle Fire? Do you have to subscribe to a service or just have WiFi?

Oh, and I have a slight pain in my right hand when I pop mu knuckles...thoughts?

yermom
12/5/2011, 10:08 PM
pretty sure it's wifi only

soonerbrat
12/6/2011, 08:10 AM
stop popping your knuckles. ywia

Zin
12/6/2011, 08:45 AM
It is wifi, so just have a wireless router. I bought one for my 5yo but it is wrapped up currently. He plays with the wifes android non-stop, so hoping he gets some use out of it.

XFollower
12/6/2011, 10:58 AM
Here is a kicker for you fellas. I found out the hard way that there is no lock down of your Amazon account purchasing. The first night I had mine, my 7 year old son was playing on it. I checked my email a bit later to find an email for a $8 game app purchase. I contacted amazon and they removed the charge. I asked them how to lock down or password protect the purchasing on the Fire and they said just turn off the WIFI. I told them that wasn't acceptable (netflix, etc) and they said that's the only option. Honestly I think it was done that way intentionally. Hopefully they will get that fixed soon.

NormanPride
12/6/2011, 11:09 AM
So here's a question... if you're getting a tablet, then why not get a good one and just use the amazon reader app? What does getting the Fire specifically get you over other tablets?

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 11:11 AM
The first night I had mine, my 7 year old son was playing on it. I checked my email a bit later to find an email for a $8 game app purchase. I contacted amazon and they removed the charge.

"But Dad, I was about to Prestige on that game!!!"

OrlandoSooner
12/6/2011, 11:53 AM
So here's a question... if you're getting a tablet, then why not get a good one and just use the amazon reader app? What does getting the Fire specifically get you over other tablets?

Cost is what drives most to the fire over other tablets. $199 compared to much more for other tablets.

8timechamps
12/6/2011, 05:39 PM

As OrlandoSooner mentioned, it's mostly price. For $200, it's something I can give my 12 year old that I don't have to constantly worry about (versus an iPad). As I mentioned, I'm not a tech person, so I just read a lot of reviews and settled on the Kindle Fire.

yermom
12/6/2011, 06:53 PM
they are taking a loss to sell them so that you can buy Amazon stuff on it and make them money

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2011, 07:56 PM
Am I correct that it's a backlit LCD screen and doesn't have an e-Ink display? My regular Kindle broke and I've been reading on my iPad, but I miss the e-Ink screen.

yermom
12/6/2011, 07:57 PM
no e-ink. it plays movies and ****e

Kindles seem stupid cheap now.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2011, 08:04 PM
I have an iPad to play movies. Basically, it sounds like a cheap iPad with a small screen and 8GB? That's not a knock, btw, at the price that's pretty awesome. Just no reason to get over a Kindle Touch if I already have an iPad?

8timechamps
12/6/2011, 08:47 PM
I have an iPad to play movies. Basically, it sounds like a cheap iPad with a small screen and 8GB? That's not a knock, btw, at the price that's pretty awesome. Just no reason to get over a Kindle Touch if I already have an iPad?

Yeah, that's how I'm viewing it. I love my iPad, but it too much for a 12 year old (that probably won't take proper care of it). I've heard a lot of folks say that the regular Kindle is much easier on the eyes for reading. I don't have any issues reading on my iPad, but I can see where the (original) Kindle would be better.

8timechamps
12/6/2011, 08:48 PM
they are taking a loss to sell them so that you can buy Amazon stuff on it and make them money

Yep. Kinda like the razor and the razor blades.

yermom
12/6/2011, 10:05 PM

that's basically the idea

NormanPride
12/7/2011, 10:07 AM
My biggest problem is that the regular eReaders don't do magazines or newspapers. I love me some Popular Science.

soonerloyal
12/7/2011, 10:50 AM
I've been reading tech reviews and most seem to favor the B&N Nook Color over the Fire. Anyone have info/experience with the Nook?

XFollower
12/7/2011, 07:54 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-lets-kids-rb-927471155.html More on the unlocked purchasing...

Soonerfan88
12/7/2011, 08:06 PM
I've been reading tech reviews and most seem to favor the B&N Nook Color over the Fire. Anyone have info/experience with the Nook?

I don't trust tech reviews anymore. For years, too many of them have talked up companies that bought ads in their magazines/websites or otherwise bought the review. This may no longer apply but it has soured my view of the entire industry. My best recommendations come from those I know or actually seeing/using the product first.

As for me, for basic e-reader I prefer the Kindle to the Nook - haven't used either the Fire or Nook Color so can't help there, sorry.

mdklatt
12/7/2011, 08:12 PM
I thought Kindles had free 3G so you could download (read: buy books from Amazon) to them?

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2011, 08:32 PM
I thought Kindles had free 3G so you could download (read: buy books from Amazon) to them?

Some do. Some don't. The one that recently fell prey to my clumsiness (which, BTW, Amazon is replacing for free) does not, since I rarely use it where I don't have WiFi, and when I do use it without WiFi (plane, usually) I don't have 3G.

8timechamps
12/9/2011, 10:20 PM

That's where I get confused. I asked the "tech" guy at Sams (clueless, go figure) and he said it used WiFi...the girl at Best Buy told me she though it was 3G (more cluelessness). I'm ordering this week via Amazon, so I'll have to find out one way or the other (unless I go with the Nook color). I'll post my findings for all the anxious readers :D

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 02:10 PM
Kindle Fire is...

Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or enterprise networks with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

The kindle Touch 3G is WiFi + Free 3G as is Kindle Keyboard 3G. The Kindle DX is 3G only.

The "compare Kindles" section of this page explains them all pretty well IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2

8timechamps
12/11/2011, 06:46 PM
Kindle Fire is...

Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, or enterprise networks with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.

The kindle Touch 3G is WiFi + Free 3G as is Kindle Keyboard 3G. The Kindle DX is 3G only.

The "compare Kindles" section of this page explains them all pretty well IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2

Thanks for the info!

I can't decide if I should open it and set it all up, or procrastinate and do it all Christmas morning...

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 07:00 PM
My Wife and Daughter are on me for one. I keep telling them the damn books are free at the Library....lol

badger
12/11/2011, 10:58 PM
My Wife and Daughter are on me for one. I keep telling them the damn books are free at the Library....lol

Check to see if your library loans out Kindle books. (Seriously!)

StoopTroup
12/11/2011, 11:35 PM
Good idea Badg. Thanks.

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2011, 12:26 AM
If you're an Amazon Prime member, Amazon has a lending library for Kindles.

the-rover
12/12/2011, 10:50 AM
Check to see if your library loans out Kindle books. (Seriously!)

Good idea Badg. Thanks.

Libraries which loan e-books will have a website that it's done through. In fact, you can borrow e-books from any public library nationwide assuming you have a library card from that particular one.

8timechamps
12/12/2011, 08:10 PM
If you're an Amazon Prime member, Amazon has a lending library for Kindles.

I just 'learnt' that today...nice benefit.

StoopTroup
12/30/2011, 10:59 PM
I bought the Wife a Kindle Fire for Christmas. We really like it so far. I can let the kids use it and me and the Wife don't have to share the laptops.

It's a very cheap way to keep the kids happy and a nice thing to have if you want something to keep you busy at down times.