PDA

View Full Version : How quickly they can turn on you

Jacie
12/5/2011, 07:50 PM
Boise State coach says bowl system needs changes

BOISE, Idaho (AP)—Boise State football coach Chris Petersen is calling for an end to the current Bowl Championship Series system after the No. 7 Broncos were left out of the high-profile games.

The Broncos (11-1) accepted an invitation to the MAACO Bowl in Vegas on Sunday. It’s the fourth time the Broncos have finished in the top 10 of the BCS without getting a bid to one of the elite match-ups. This year, they were passed over along with Nos. 6 Arkansas, 8 Kansas State and 9 South Carolina.

During a press conference Monday, Petersen said people are frustrated and tired of the BCS, the Idaho Statesman (http://bit.ly/umPHCJ ) reported. Petersen also said the system needs to be changed, perhaps by using a committee like the men’s basketball tournament to rank the teams.

Soonerfan88
12/5/2011, 10:56 PM
I'll certainly agree KState should have been in the BCS, but does the author understand Arkie & USCar couldn't be selected as SEC already had 2 teams?

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2011, 11:02 PM
I certainly agree BSU should have gotten a better opponent and it wouldn't have to be a BCS bowl to be a major upgrade from ASU. Of course Peterson is interested in the BCS bowl $$, while I'm just interesting in more watchable bowl games.

Curly Bill
12/5/2011, 11:08 PM
Imagine a coach politicking for whatever would benefit his team! Hard to believe! ;)

TUSooner
12/6/2011, 11:21 AM
Does it matter that Petersen is 100% correct?

Jacie
12/6/2011, 11:30 AM
Imagine a coach politicking for whatever would benefit his team! Hard to believe! ;)

When it got his team a Fiesta Bowl berth he wasn't complaining about the BCS . . .

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2011, 11:36 AM
When it got his team a Fiesta Bowl berth he wasn't complaining about the BCS . . .

Any time his team has gotten a BCS bid (2?), they have earned it and played well. Other times, like this year, they earned it and got crap bowls. The cliff is way too steep for these non-AQ teams. They get a BCS bowl only when the rules put a gun to the bowl committees heads or they drop to a lower tier bowl - nothing in between. I guess it's just butts in the seats.

rekamrettuB
12/6/2011, 11:38 AM
K State was hosed but has a better Cotton Bowl matchup when money is taken out of the equation. And, as stated above, Arky and S Cacky couldn't go anyway.

Hot Rod
12/6/2011, 11:38 AM
I feel like K-State and Boise should've gotten into either the Sugar or Orange Bowl. Michigan State could have a gripe as well, seeing as they didn't get into the Sugar Bowl, being the #2 Big Ten team basically.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2011, 11:42 AM
Maybe the Gator bowl has gone downhill, but I thought they used to match decent teams. They chose 2 6-6 teams this year in order to get the "Urban-gate" bowl. I have to admit they will probably sell out.

TUSooner
12/6/2011, 11:43 AM
And he should have? C'mon.

Oldnslo
12/6/2011, 11:43 AM
If we had been in O-State's shoes this year, we'd be ****ting-napalm-mad and calling for congressional action.

The BCS is somewhere in between inaccurate and repugnant. ESPECIALLY now that ESPN is so closely tied in with the SEC. ESPN exerts tremendous force on the sport it purports to merely report. Want to hear more about SEC speed? Or how tough the conference is from top to bottom? It's all crap, but ESPN is 2 BILLION dollars in bed with that conference.

rekamrettuB
12/6/2011, 11:53 AM
If we had been in O-State's shoes this year, we'd be ****ting-napalm-mad and calling for congressional action.

OU would be playing in the NC. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying just pointing out the difference between what names like OU and Alabama carry. If #2 would have been Kentucky or Vanderbilt or Oregon State, etc, Oklahoma State probably jumps to #2 under the same circumstances.

Jacie
12/6/2011, 12:02 PM
And he should have? C'mon.

I am merely suggesting that he is straddling the fence, he wants it both ways.

I, OTH, think the BCS must die!

The message is, pick a side and stick with it. Otherwise, your words will fall on deaf ears . . .

stoopified
12/6/2011, 04:02 PM
Does it matter that Petersen is 100% correct?If he does want to play big boy football ,he needs to: A) get a big boy job or B) lead BSU into a big boy league .

badger
12/6/2011, 04:05 PM

Don't you remember all the durr hurr hurring about "Boise State made it to Tempe, but not the to the bowl the undefeated team desired."

Durr hurr the Fiesta Bowl and BCS championship were in the same town but undefeated Boise is just there to play OU, not play for the title, durr hurrr! :rolleyes:

rekamrettuB
12/6/2011, 04:05 PM
If he does want to play big boy football ,he needs to: A) get a big boy job or B) lead BSU into a big boy league .

Sounds like them and a bunch of other small timers are headed to the Big East.

TUSooner
12/6/2011, 04:11 PM
If he does want to play big boy football ,he needs to: A) get a big boy job or B) lead BSU into a big boy league . That is a non sequitur. You may be correct about BSU, but your response has nothing to to do with Petersen being right about BCS suckage. If anybody else said what he said, they would be right. Just because he's BSu's Petersen doesn't make him wrong.

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2011, 04:27 PM
Peterson's comments are spot on, but I'll care more when his team is in a different, legit conference.

K-State and Baylor have more of an argument than Boise State IMO. Or at the very least as strong of an argument.

Michigan, Virginia Tech and even West Virginia in the BCS is a joke.

Sooners78
12/7/2011, 11:07 AM
If he does want to play big boy football ,he needs to: A) get a big boy job or B) lead BSU into a big boy league .

^^^^^^ I get the feeling Petersen and the BSU fans are perfectly happy playing in a crappy league and winning 11 or 12 games a season. I don't think they really want that to change even if it would mean a better chance of making it to the BCS.

Sooners78
12/7/2011, 11:09 AM
Peterson's comments are spot on, but I'll care more when his team is in a different, legit conference.

K-State and Baylor have more of an argument than Boise State IMO. Or at the very least as strong of an argument.

Michigan, Virginia Tech and even West Virginia in the BCS is a joke.

No question about it. Especially Hokies after their showing last week, and how does UM get in over MSU?

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2011, 11:22 AM
^^^^^^ I get the feeling Petersen and the BSU fans are perfectly happy playing in a crappy league and winning 11 or 12 games a season. I don't think they really want that to change even if it would mean a better chance of making it to the BCS.

I see no basis for this statement. BSU just moved to the MWC this year to get better competition only to see BYU and Utah bail. Now they are talking to the BigEast. Seems like truth around here depends on who says it and whether we like them.

MamaMia
12/7/2011, 11:34 AM
Then we have the problem of coaches voting teams in slots they don't belong. One only needs to look as far as who's playing for the National Championship to see that. oSu as the Big Twelve Conference Champions, should be playing the SEC Champion. instead of this mulligan of an SEC rematch. Its all politically and monetarily motivated.