PDA

View Full Version : 2012

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 07:44 PM
There is no question this has been a disappointing season by Sooner standards. I hope the team will take the bowl as an opportunity to leave this season on a positive note.

As any good Sooner fan does when we aren't playing for a national title, let's look ahead to 2012.

Here's my rundown of how we look:

Offense

QB - If there was a question that Landry was going to leave, I'd think it has been answered, and he should return for his senior season. Whether you like Landry, or not, it's good to have a 4 year player behind center...and I bet he gets some competition in the off season to push him to right the wrongs he's seen this season. My Grade: A

RB - There is no reason we should be in any trouble at this position. With Whaley, Finch, Clay and Williams all coming back, and adding Alex Ross to the mix, we should be better overall next year than we were this year. My Grade: A

WR - There is no replacing the greatest receiver in college football, but if there was a way to soften the blow, next years group of receivers is it. Stills, Reynolds, Franks and Jackson come back with experience. Symonds, McLain and McCay (along with a few other freshmen) should be able to contribute. Then there is the class of 2012 receivers with Neal and Metoyer, two exciting prospects. All in all, this should be the most talented group of wide receivers to come through Norman. My Grade: A

TE/FB - Young group of fullbacks, led by arguably one of the best FBs in the country (Millard). With Ripkowski seeing action in the second half of the season, we should be good at FB. As for TEs, we lose two seniors, so that hurts. We'll be depending on unproven young guys including Laith Harlow (3 star TE out of Florida). Definitely some question marks. My Grade: B-

O-Line - We will bring a senior filled group into 2012, with the only loss being (the one spot you don't want to lose) LT Donald Stephenson. The right side of the line will be stout, so it's the left side that will need to prove themselves in '12. My Grade: B+

Defense

D-Line - So much of the expectations on next year's D-line will revolve around Ronnell Lewis. Assuming he doesn't leave for the NFL, the line should be improved. The loss of Alexander hurts, but David King has shown signs that he can be a serviceable end. Texas recruit Polo Manukainiu and JuCo transfer Chaz Nelson (both D-ends) can hopefully step in and contribute early. With both McFarland, McGee and Walker all returning, the interior of the D-line should be improved. My Grade: B-

Linebacker - Like him or not, Travis Lewis piled up the tackle numbers. The 2012 defense will need to find a LB ready to step in and step up. This is the group that I have the most questions about for next year. Wort and Jefferson come back (and that's a good deal of talent), but who will step up and fill Lewis' spot? Corey Nelson can play there, but is that the plan? Is Florida Recruit Eric Striker going to play right away? Will Kellen Jones be ready to play full time? A lot of question for next season, and the LB corp will play a big role in the success of the 2012 Sooner defense. My Grade: ?

Secondary - Losing Jamell Flemming (whom I think is the best secondary player we have) will hurt, however, there has to be an upside to playing so much youth at some point, right? Hurst and Colvin should benefit from another off season, and return better than this year. My question is still at safety. Who's going to be our safety in 2012? Harris? Hayes (will be a soph)? Outside of LB, this group has lots of questions. My Grade: C (until proven otherwise)

Kicking - I think we have a kicker. And Way has continued to be a solid punter. The only hitch is the loss of our long-snapper (Winchester), but hopefully Austin Woods (LS for FGs and XP) can take over that role. My Grade: A

That's my completely worhtless look into 2012. What say you?

BigTip
12/5/2011, 07:47 PM
Good write up, but for me, it's too soon. I wore myself out with anticipation for nine months this last year.. I don't want to start again just yet.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 07:53 PM
Good write up, but for me, it's too soon. I wore myself out with anticipation for nine months this last year.. I don't want to start again just yet.

I know what you're saying. However, it's in the blood. As much as I would probably be less disappointed if I didn't think about this stuff, I can't help it. It's an illness :)

En_Fuego
12/5/2011, 08:02 PM
There is no question this has been a disappointing season by Sooner standards. I hope the team will take the bowl as an opportunity to leave this season on a positive note.

As any good Sooner fan does when we aren't playing for a national title, let's look ahead to 2012.

Offense

QB - If there was a question that Landry was going to leave, I'd think it has been answered, and he should return for his senior season. Whether you like Landry, or not, it's good to have a 4 year player behind center...and I bet he gets some competition in the off season to push him to right the wrongs he's seen this season. My Grade: C-

RB - There is no reason we should be in any trouble at this position. With Whaley, Finch, Clay and Williams all coming back, and adding Alex Ross to the mix, we should be better overall next year than we were this year. My Grade: B

WR - There is no replacing the greatest receiver in college football, but if there was a way to soften the blow, next years group of receivers is it. Stills, Reynolds, Franks and Jackson come back with experience. Symonds, McLain and McCay (along with a few other freshmen) should be able to contribute. Then there is the class of 2012 receivers with Neal and Metoyer, two exciting prospects. All in all, this should be the most talented group of wide receivers to come through Norman. My Grade: C+

TE/FB - Young group of fullbacks, led by arguably one of the best FBs in the country (Millard). With Ripkowski seeing action in the second half of the season, we should be good at FB. As for TEs, we lose two seniors, so that hurts. We'll be depending on unproven young guys including Laith Harlow (3 star TE out of Florida). Definitely some question marks. My Grade: B-

O-Line - We will bring a senior filled group into 2012, with the only loss being (the one spot you don't want to lose) LT Donald Stephenson. The right side of the line will be stout, so it's the left side that will need to prove themselves in '12. My Grade: D+

Defense

D-Line - So much of the expectations on next year's D-line will revolve around Ronnell Lewis. Assuming he doesn't leave for the NFL, the line should be improved. The loss of Alexander hurts, but David King has shown signs that he can be a serviceable end. Texas recruit Polo Manukainiu and JuCo transfer Chaz Nelson (both D-ends) can hopefully step in and contribute early. With both McFarland, McGee and Walker all returning, the interior of the D-line should be improved. My Grade: C

Linebacker - Like him or not, Travis Lewis piled up the tackle numbers. The 2012 defense will need to find a LB ready to step in and step up. This is the group that I have the most questions about for next year. Wort and Jefferson come back (and that's a good deal of talent), but who will step up and fill Lewis' spot? Corey Nelson can play there, but is that the plan? Is Florida Recruit Eric Striker going to play right away? Will Kellen Jones be ready to play full time? A lot of question for next season, and the LB corp will play a big role in the success of the 2012 Sooner defense. My Grade: C-

Secondary - Losing Jamell Flemming (whom I think is the best secondary player we have) will hurt, however, there has to be an upside to playing so much youth at some point, right? Hurst and Colvin should benefit from another off season, and return better than this year. My question is still at safety. Who's going to be our safety in 2012? Harris? Hayes (will be a soph)? Outside of LB, this group has lots of questions. My Grade: C- (until proven otherwise)

Kicking - I think we have a kicker. And Way has continued to be a solid punter. The only hitch is the loss of our long-snapper (Winchester), but hopefully Austin Woods (LS for FGs and XP) can take over that role. My Grade: B

FIFY.......But most of all this depends on the changes that must take place in order for this team to succeed.

Curly Bill
12/5/2011, 09:14 PM
Where are the grades on the coaching staff? And we know it'll be the same crew cause Bob ain't gonna replace a buddy.

Blue
12/5/2011, 09:19 PM
Overrated clap clap clap! Until proven otherwise.

Dan Thompson
12/5/2011, 09:33 PM
I hope they rotate more when we get ahead. Running close to 100 snaps a game must wear on you by the 13th week(1300 snaps!)

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:35 PM
FIFY.......But most of all this depends on the changes that must take place in order for this team to succeed.

Since it's waaaaay to early to really know, I graded with a bias (of course). You're right, there are a lot of changes that will occur before we really know what the team will look like.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:35 PM
Where are the grades on the coaching staff? And we know it'll be the same crew cause Bob ain't gonna replace a buddy.

I intentionally left the coaches out...to each their own.

JLEW1818
12/5/2011, 09:36 PM
We need Power at running back. Look at SEC teams.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:36 PM
Overrated clap clap clap! Until proven otherwise.

LOL...I see what you did there. C'mon, cut me some slack, I'm a sunshine pumper.

TXBOOMER
12/5/2011, 09:37 PM
Mediocrity until further notice. Tell me who is going to replace Alexander and Ronnell. D Line is the worst I have ever seen it since Bob got here. They get pushed around like rag dolls. LB's will be average at best. D Backs will be average. Spells trouble..they once again will not be able to stop anyone. Offense will score a bunch against shatty teams and half of the decent teams and they will lay three or four eggs. IMHMFO!

TUSooner
12/5/2011, 09:41 PM

Offense

QB - If there was a question that Landry was going to leave, I'd think it has been answered, and he should return for his senior season. Whether you like Landry, or not, it's good to have a 4 year player behind center...and I bet he gets some competition in the off season to push him to right the wrongs he's seen this season. My Grade: A

RB - There is no reason we should be in any trouble at this position. With Whaley, Finch, Clay and Williams all coming back, and adding Alex Ross to the mix, we should be better overall next year than we were this year. My Grade: A

WR - There is no replacing the greatest receiver in college football, but if there was a way to soften the blow, next years group of receivers is it. Stills, Reynolds, Franks and Jackson come back with experience. Symonds, McLain and McCay (along with a few other freshmen) should be able to contribute. Then there is the class of 2012 receivers with Neal and Metoyer, two exciting prospects. All in all, this should be the most talented group of wide receivers to come through Norman. My Grade: A

O-Line - We will bring a senior filled group into 2012, with the only loss being (the one spot you don't want to lose) LT Donald Stephenson. The right side of the line will be stout, so it's the left side that will need to prove themselves in '12. My Grade: B+

Defense

D-Line - So much of the expectations on next year's D-line will revolve around Ronnell Lewis. Assuming he doesn't leave for the NFL, the line should be improved. The loss of Alexander hurts, but David King has shown signs that he can be a serviceable end. Texas recruit Polo Manukainiu and JuCo transfer Chaz Nelson (both D-ends) can hopefully step in and contribute early. With both McFarland, McGee and Walker all returning, the interior of the D-line should be improved. My Grade: B-

Linebacker - Like him or not, Travis Lewis piled up the tackle numbers. The 2012 defense will need to find a LB ready to step in and step up. This is the group that I have the most questions about for next year. Wort and Jefferson come back (and that's a good deal of talent), but who will step up and fill Lewis' spot? Corey Nelson can play there, but is that the plan? Is Florida Recruit Eric Striker going to play right away? Will Kellen Jones be ready to play full time? A lot of question for next season, and the LB corp will play a big role in the success of the 2012 Sooner defense. My Grade: ?

Secondary - Losing Jamell Flemming (whom I think is the best secondary player we have) will hurt, however, there has to be an upside to playing so much youth at some point, right? Hurst and Colvin should benefit from another off season, and return better than this year. My question is still at safety. Who's going to be our safety in 2012? Harris? Hayes (will be a soph)? Outside of LB, this group has lots of questions. My Grade: C (until proven otherwise)

Kicking - I think we have a kicker. And Way has continued to be a solid punter. The only hitch is the loss of our long-snapper (Winchester), but hopefully Austin Woods (LS for FGs and XP) can take over that role. My Grade: A

I agree 100%! Your view into 2012 is completely worthless. :biggrin:

But seriously folks... This team first and foremost needs to get its collective head on straight. It's way too early to know or even think about that.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:41 PM
Mediocrity until further notice. Tell me who is going to replace Alexander and Ronnell. D Line is the worst I have ever seen it since Bob got here. They get pushed around like rag dolls. LB's will be average at best. D Backs will be average. Spells trouble..they once again will not be able to stop anyone. Offense will score a bunch against shatty teams and half of the decent teams and they will lay three or four eggs. IMHMFO!

There's a lot of questions on defense for sure. If Ronnell leaves, it's going to be tough...I guess at that point, I'll just pray we get Edwards (who orginally gave a verbal to FSU) and hope that the JuCo end is good.

I think the LBs may actually be better next year. I liked Travis, but I don't think he ever played at 100% this year. The D-backs are worrisome. We'll see.

I'm not a perpetual doom and gloom guy, so I look forward to next year.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:42 PM
I agree 100%! Your view into 2012 is completely worthless. :biggrin:

But seriously folks... This team first and foremost needs to get its collective head on straight. It's way too early to know or even think about that.

Well, at least we agree! :D

I can't help but think about it...it helps to put this season behind me.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2011, 11:27 PM
If the rumors about R. Lewis not going to class anymore are true, he is not coming back. Alexander and R. Lewis were often the 2 best D players on the field. Other times, it was Fleming who is also gone. That leaves Jefferson, Colvin and sometimes Walker as returners that often stood out. On offense, we lose our best player by far in Broyles and already have had a preview of what that's like. Will Whaley be 100% by next year? If LJ returns we know what we have - very good when protected... (I won't finish that sentence).

Lots of holes to fill means lots of opportunities for new faces. I'm sure there will be some churn in the coaching staff. Don't have to worry about any of that preseason #1 sh*t.

Jacie
12/6/2011, 09:09 PM
Is it too early to think about the schedule?

All I can find indicates we have either 9 or 10 teams lined up (the uncertainty being whether or not West Virginia will play a Big XII schedule), and of those, 2 (or 3) are yet to have a date scheduled (Kansas State, TCU and WV). There are 8 or 9 conference games and the only scheduled nonconference game so far is Notre Dame on 10/27, though a game in Norman with UCF is supposed to be a done deal, with that game sometime in September. Thus, four of five weeks of the month of September are open and there is a hole in the schedule at 11/3 where a&m used to be, nor is there anything after the OSU game on 11/24. Counting 12/1 then, there are 14 Saturdays with 6 of them open dates for Oklahoma to schedule K-State, WV and one other game (if not WV then two other games) to make a 12-game season.

2012 Schedule

9/1
9/8
9/15 UCF (actual date yet to be determined, but they already have games for 9/1 and 9/8)
9/22
9/29
10/6 Texas
10/13 Kansas
10/20 @ Texas Tech
10/27 Notre Dame
11/3
11/10 @ Iowa State
11/17 Baylor
11/24 OSU

KSU, TCU & WV dates to be deterimined.
WV has nonconference games scheduled for 9/1, 9/8 and 9/15
KSU has nonconference games scheduled for 9/8 and 9/15
TCU has nonconference games scheduled for 9/8, 9/22 and 9/29

Anyone able to add to or correct any of this?

northspeter
12/6/2011, 10:54 PM
Jordan Phillips on the Dline is gonna make a huge difference next season... if no landry... then a seasoned brandon williams and healthy dom whaley will help change the complexion of our offense as well...

Pricetag
12/6/2011, 11:02 PM
We win the conference next year. It's an even-numbered year.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2011, 11:07 PM
I'll play

Offense

QB - If there was a question that Landry was going to leave, I'd think it has been answered, and he should return for his senior season. Whether you like Landry, or not, it's good to have a 4 year player behind center...and I bet he gets some competition in the off season to push him to right the wrongs he's seen this season. My Grade:B(You know as well as I do that there will be no quarterback competition if he comes back)

RB - There is no reason we should be in any trouble at this position. With Whaley, Finch, Clay and Williams all coming back, and adding Alex Ross to the mix, we should be better overall next year than we were this year. My Grade: B This group is talented but I'm still wondering if any of them can run against quality competition with this line..I don't know how good they are.

WR - There is no replacing the greatest receiver in college football, but if there was a way to soften the blow, next years group of receivers is it. Stills, Reynolds, Franks and Jackson come back with experience. Symonds, McLain and McCay (along with a few other freshmen) should be able to contribute. Then there is the class of 2012 receivers with Neal and Metoyer, two exciting prospects. All in all, this should be the most talented group of wide receivers to come through Norman. My Grade: B- IMO, it's not an exceptionally talented group..OK but not "A"good

TE/FB - Young group of fullbacks, led by arguably one of the best FBs in the country (Millard). With Ripkowski seeing action in the second half of the season, we should be good at FB. As for TEs, we lose two seniors, so that hurts. We'll be depending on unproven young guys including Laith Harlow (3 star TE out of Florida). Definitely some question marks. My Grade: B- I'm OK with this grade.

O-Line - We will bring a senior filled group into 2012, with the only loss being (the one spot you don't want to lose) LT Donald Stephenson. The right side of the line will be stout, so it's the left side that will need to prove themselves in '12. My Grade: C- This line is average and I'll grade them that until they can move someone off the ball.

Defense

D-Line - So much of the expectations on next year's D-line will revolve around Ronnell Lewis. Assuming he doesn't leave for the NFL, the line should be improved. The loss of Alexander hurts, but David King has shown signs that he can be a serviceable end. Texas recruit Polo Manukainiu and JuCo transfer Chaz Nelson (both D-ends) can hopefully step in and contribute early. With both McFarland, McGee and Walker all returning, the interior of the D-line should be improved. My Grade:C Have to get McFarland to get at least close to playing to his potential.

Linebacker - Like him or not, Travis Lewis piled up the tackle numbers. The 2012 defense will need to find a LB ready to step in and step up. This is the group that I have the most questions about for next year. Wort and Jefferson come back (and that's a good deal of talent), but who will step up and fill Lewis' spot? Corey Nelson can play there, but is that the plan? Is Florida Recruit Eric Striker going to play right away? Will Kellen Jones be ready to play full time? A lot of question for next season, and the LB corp will play a big role in the success of the 2012 Sooner defense. My Grade: B Whoever plays TLs position will have the same stats because its been that way as long as Stoops has been there..Only 2 seasons has the weakside not led the team in tackles...

I can agree with this...Would love to see Colvin moved back to corner and Gabe Lynn back to safety.

the-rover
12/6/2011, 11:08 PM

All I can find indicates we have either 9 or 10 teams lined up (the uncertainty being whether or not West Virginia will play a Big XII schedule), and of those, 2 (or 3) are yet to have a date scheduled (Kansas State, TCU and WV). There are 8 or 9 conference games and the only scheduled nonconference game so far is Notre Dame on 10/27, though a game in Norman with UCF is supposed to be a done deal, with that game sometime in September. Thus, four of five weeks of the month of September are open and there is a hole in the schedule at 11/3 where a&m used to be, nor is there anything after the OSU game on 11/24. Counting 12/1 then, there are 14 Saturdays with 6 of them open dates for Oklahoma to schedule K-State, WV and one other game (if not WV then two other games) to make a 12-game season.

2012 Schedule

9/1
9/8
9/15 UCF (actual date yet to be determined, but they already have games for 9/1 and 9/8)
9/22
9/29
10/6 Texas
10/13 Kansas
10/20 @ Texas Tech
10/27 Notre Dame
11/3
11/10 @ Iowa State
11/17 Baylor
11/24 OSU

The UCF home-and-home deal has not been reached......

With the scheduling headaches happening from the conference realignment we may have to start playing in July and have about half-a-dozen bye weeks, or schedule Missouri or aTm as non-conference games......obviously, some creative scheduling will have to take place.

oudavid1
12/6/2011, 11:41 PM

Offense

Defense

QB - B-
RB - B
FB - A
WR - B-
TE - D
OT - B
OG - A
C - C
DE - C+
DT - D+
OLB - B-
MLB - A
S - A
CB - C+
K- A

picasso
12/6/2011, 11:44 PM
#33 was not used enough.

I Am Right
12/7/2011, 11:35 AM
Lets quit this "wait until next year" crap

soonervegas
12/7/2011, 12:04 PM
Here is my rundown of how we look next year....

9-3

sooneredaco
12/7/2011, 12:50 PM
12-0 with #8 MNC on the way in 2012. Landry wins the heisman

colleyvillesooner
12/7/2011, 12:56 PM

2012 Schedule

9/1
9/8
9/22
9/29
10/6 Texas
10/13 Kansas
10/20 @ Texas Tech
10/27 Notre Dame
11/3
11/10 @ Iowa State
11/17 Baylor
11/24 OSU

I bet we still open @ TCU to start the season, even if it is a conference game.

cantwait48
12/7/2011, 01:00 PM
I bet we still open @ TCU to start the season, even if it is a conference game.

we had better get our stuff together quickly if that is the case

cvsooner
12/7/2011, 01:02 PM
Yep. I see the recruiting list shows 16 verbals so far. Only six are defensive players. I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

PalmBeachSooner
12/7/2011, 01:16 PM
Yep. I see the recruiting list shows 16 verbals so far. Only six are defensive players. I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I think it's a huge deal. I almost started a topic on this very subject. There's been so much emphasis placed on offense since Leach came along. While OU has arguably had the best offenses they have also had the most inconsistent defenses post Leach days.

It seems like each season we have one, maybe two really good units on defense, an average unit and a very inconsistent unit. This past season I thought DT's were average. The DE's were outstanding (two All-Conference). The CB's did a very good job, but the safeties were bad and the LB's inconsistent.

While a lot of people are constantly calling for BV's head, I don't think he is the issue, no more so than Mike Stoops is the answer. Until OU starts bringing in top talent at all of the defensive positions OU is going to be subject to more seasons like this last season. The offense could make up for an inconsistent defense as long as its playmakers stayed healthy they were conference champs. When they didn't stay healthy the schmidt hit the fan.

LVSOONER15
12/7/2011, 01:27 PM

Great point. We can control the clock and wear down the defense. We also need our defense to be more aggressive and make plays.

rock on sooner
12/7/2011, 01:34 PM
While everyone is looking to 2012, just remember there is one more game to play, the outcome of which can and should answer some "regrouping" questions....23 days to the bowl...23 days to refocus.....23 days to maybe, just maybe fix
a few things. Perhaps on Dec 31 we could revisit this thread and see if there is any optimism not present now.

Curly Bill
12/7/2011, 01:37 PM
My guess is we do try to bring in "top" defensive talent. But here's my question: if you were considered one of the "top" defensive players would you want to come to OU?

cvsooner
12/7/2011, 02:43 PM
I think it's a huge deal. I almost started a topic on this very subject. There's been so much emphasis placed on offense since Leach came along. While OU has arguably had the best offenses they have also had the most inconsistent defenses post Leach days.

It seems like each season we have one, maybe two really good units on defense, an average unit and a very inconsistent unit. This past season I thought DT's were average. The DE's were outstanding (two All-Conference). The CB's did a very good job, but the safeties were bad and the LB's inconsistent.

While a lot of people are constantly calling for BV's head, I don't think he is the issue, no more so than Mike Stoops is the answer. Until OU starts bringing in top talent at all of the defensive positions OU is going to be subject to more seasons like this last season. The offense could make up for an inconsistent defense as long as its playmakers stayed healthy they were conference champs. When they didn't stay healthy the schmidt hit the fan.I'm with JKM: if OU's defense has a correctable problem, it's lousy linebacker play. For whatever reason, the crop of linebackers we've had (with an exception or two) have been, apparently, uncoachable or unteachable, or they flat forget what they should be learning, or they can't bring it to bear when it comes to playing time. Much, much of our defensive trouble in terms of results (the outcome) is caused by inferior linebacking play. If there is a fault for BV, that's it. He's not been successful as a linebacker coach for several seasons. I don't know if it's because he's too preoccupied with trying to coordinate a defense around lousy linebackers, or if he's just overwhelmed, period. I honestly don't know.

I do know much of the problem with run and pass defense would be fixed with better linebacking. To my eyes, an awful lot of what's perceived as our weakness on defense (big plays) is the direct result of other players trying to cover for the linebackers.

And then, of course, you wind up with a linebacker or two that gets a ton of media coverage and is appointed as a team leader, when leading is a lot more than yelling or talking big. Curtis Lofton, Clint Ingram, Rufus Alexander and Austin Box were actual linebackers. The others? Not so much.