PDA

View Full Version : What are the requirements to be a Graduate Assistant?

Dan Thompson
12/5/2011, 07:26 PM
Could some of our old players come back, like TRRW etc.?

Do they get paid?

Petro-Sooner
12/5/2011, 07:47 PM
I would like to go back and get my masters in football.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 07:53 PM
I think there's a limit to the number of GAs a program can have. Not sure of the specifics though.

Jacie
12/5/2011, 07:57 PM
NCAA Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletics Personnel:

11.7.2 Football Bowl Subdivision - There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

11.7.2.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FBS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.2 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:

11.7.2.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FBS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.

11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.

11.7.3 Championship Subdivision Football - There shall be a limit of 11 coaches of any type who may be employed by an institution in championship subdivision football.

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 08:00 PM
I would like to go back and get my masters in football.

You are gonna have to take out that guy that runs out and picks up the kicking tee. Do you think you can take him? :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/5/2011, 08:01 PM
There are a couple of ways around these rules:

1. Volunteers can be with them but they can't be paid by anyone
2. You can have paid consultants but they can't have any contact with any of the players. Its sometimes helpful to have someone helping break down film, evaluate coaches etc

Jacie
12/5/2011, 08:01 PM
From Answers.com

For the most part about 95% of all GA's play 4 years of college football. Based on grades and performance on the field usually gives you opportunities. Many players become GA's for their own or local university's. This is usually where most college coaches start their career. The job payment is a free education,free meals, and sometimes free room and board.

Petro-Sooner
12/5/2011, 08:18 PM
You are gonna have to take out that guy that runs out and picks up the kicking tee. Do you think you can take him? :D

That guy is specializing in kicking tee removal. My focus, if accepted, would be in hydration. Water ph is a science and very critical!!!

Dan Thompson
12/5/2011, 09:50 PM
Section 11.7.2 – 1 HD, 9 Assistant coaches and 2 Graduate Assistant coaches.

Section 11.7.2.1.2 No limits to Undergraduate Coaches.

How do we get ex-players to come back as Undergraduate Coaches, maybe we just
recruit those players that did not graduate and enroll them in physical education.

Petro-Sooner
12/5/2011, 10:01 PM
recruit those players that did not graduate and enroll them in physical education.

Should be plenty of them floating around.

Soonerfan88
12/5/2011, 11:29 PM
Section 11.7.2 – 1 HD, 9 Assistant coaches and 2 Graduate Assistant coaches.

Section 11.7.2.1.2 No limits to Undergraduate Coaches.

Excellent idea!

oudavid1
12/5/2011, 11:45 PM
There are a couple of ways around these rules:

1. Volunteers can be with them but they can't be paid by anyone
2. You can have paid consultants but they can't have any contact with any of the players. Its sometimes helpful to have someone helping break down film, evaluate coaches etc

And if you do get paid, its not much at all. I made more than film guys at OU and had half as many limitations. Of course thats D2 and no one really cares.

From Answers.com

For the most part about 95% of all GA's play 4 years of college football. Based on grades and performance on the field usually gives you opportunities. Many players become GA's for their own or local university's. This is usually where most college coaches start their career. The job payment is a free education,free meals, and sometimes free room and board.

I am the 5%! Occupy Soonerfans?