PDA

View Full Version : Hawkeyes will travel. Will the Sooners?

rock on sooner
12/5/2011, 05:10 PM
There's already a lot of talk and excitement with the Hawkeyes heading back to Tempe. They'll travel farther than OU will. Hope
the fans can get over the disappointment and get behind the team. I'm here in Iowa, Hawkeye fans are a deprived bunch...used
to lower tier bowls and are already talking about a date with a national program like the Sooners....date in the desert, etc. C'mon,
Sooner faithful, don't let the team down. If I had the $, I'd be in Tempe! Boomer!:excitement::pride:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/5/2011, 05:14 PM
Been there, done that. I went to the first Fiesta fiasco. No thanks.

Fraggle145
12/5/2011, 05:22 PM
Sooner fans are tired of Arizona along with being tired of losing, sucking on D, stone-handed WRs not named Broyles, jabber-jawing LBs, etc...

I dont think many will make the trip this year. Perhaps drawing more attention to the face that something needs to shake the system up a little bit so that OU can get back on track. You know besides the losing to Tech, Baylor and getting our **** pushed in by OSU.

Soonerwake
12/5/2011, 05:24 PM
Short answer - no...:miserable:

Soonermagik
12/5/2011, 05:36 PM
Sooner fans are tired of Arizona along with being tired of losing, sucking on D, stone-handed WRs not named Broyles, jabber-jawing LBs, etc...

I don think many will make the trip this year. Perhaps drawing more attention to the face that something needs to shake the system up a little bit so that OU can get back on track. You know besides the losing to Tech, Baylor and getting our **** pushed in by OSU.

I couldn't agree more! Why would anyone want to go back to the desert, especially for a lower tiered bowl? This team has given up.. we saw that the other night. It's nothing but bad football, so why drive 1,000 miles to witness that?

IBleedCrimson
12/5/2011, 05:56 PM
I'm only going if we fire Brent Venables.

EatLeadCommie
12/5/2011, 05:59 PM
It's Tempe (yet again) and it's the Toilet Bowl. I doubt we travel well. There is nothing exciting to see in this team. God forbid we lose to a lame Iowa team. The world might implode.

soonercoop1
12/5/2011, 06:04 PM
Very doubtful...

Curly Bill
12/5/2011, 06:24 PM
I'm only going if we fire Brent Venables.

I'd even go for that and I generally prefer the comfort of my recliner to watch the game. :)

KABOOKIE
12/5/2011, 06:27 PM
I'm not contributing to the corrupt bowl system until there's at least a +1 playoff.

bonkuba
12/5/2011, 06:28 PM
This will be the first bowl game I have missed since 2000........tired of AZ to be honest. Also, going to Disney World instead with the kiddos :excitement:

Fraggle145
12/5/2011, 06:31 PM
And Sooner fans are still pissed off about the fact that for some reason our conference got the shaft and didnt get the Orange Bowl. No we get the effing desert bowl with no damn history that everyone hates and that has a ***** *** name. I mean seriously wtf.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 06:42 PM
Probably going to make the trip with my two boys. I love Phoenix in the winter (especially since here in Denver we've already had over 30" of snow).

Interesting note in the OP about Iowa traveling well, from what I've read in the Iowa newspapers, they are knocking the fans because they don't sell out their bowl tickets. If nothing else, tickets will be able to come by, AND it's a Sooner game. I'll make it fun.

MHSooner
12/5/2011, 07:12 PM
I'll be there for the 4th time in the last 6 years. My youngest daughter and I will make the trip. As 8 times says the weather has been a little brutal in Denver so far this year. Will be a nice change unless its like last year.

:angel:

Neath a Western Sky
12/5/2011, 07:19 PM
Hell no. I am quitting quite a bit later this year than some on the team did.

OrlandoSooner
12/5/2011, 07:23 PM
This will be the first bowl game I have missed since 2000........tired of AZ to be honest. Also, going to Disney World instead with the kiddos :excitement:

On behalf of the local economy, "Thank you."

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 07:56 PM
I'll be there for the 4th time in the last 6 years. My youngest daughter and I will make the trip. As 8 times says the weather has been a little brutal in Denver so far this year. Will be a nice change unless its like last year.

:angel:

Yeah, I could use some warmth right about now.

Soonermagik
12/5/2011, 08:14 PM
And Sooner fans are still pissed off about the fact that for some reason our conference got the shaft and didnt get the Orange Bowl. No we get the effing desert bowl with no damn history that everyone hates and that has a ***** *** name. I mean seriously wtf.

I would 10 times much rather be tied in with the Orange Bowl. This is very easy... South Florida > Arizona!!! However, I don't like the tie in anyways. I mean, mix it up... it would be nice to go to some Rose Bowls, too.

oudivesherpa
12/5/2011, 08:31 PM
I'd like to see a Big XII link to a Florida Bowl. The Big XII is a very good conference and our won/loss record in out of conference games is one of the best in the country. Tired of zona!

trwxxa
12/5/2011, 08:32 PM
OU and the Big XII take a bath on this one unless OU was able to negotiate a very low ticket guarantee.

SoonerMom2
12/5/2011, 08:38 PM
My brother and I were in Phoenix last year for the Fiesta Bowl and after sleeping on it we decided we will leave Denver where we are celebrating a 2nd Christmas with my two young granddaughters for Tempe. He will be coming up from Orlando as we head west once again. Hope it is warmer this time. Hope Denver gets no snow for Christmas so we can get there with no problem.

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:48 PM
My brother and I were in Phoenix last year for the Fiesta Bowl and after sleeping on it we decided we will leave Denver where we are celebrating a 2nd Christmas with my two young granddaughters for Tempe. He will be coming up from Orlando as we head west once again. Hope it is warmer this time. Hope Denver gets no snow for Christmas so we can get there with no problem.

The (ultra) early forecast says a white Christmas, but don't sweat it, the airport rarely has issues with snow....they're built for it. The last time I had any issues was for the 07 Fiesta Bowl, as we had just gotten a big snow. I think my flight to Phoenix was about 20 minutes late leaving (and it was the first flight to AZ that day).

oudavid1
12/5/2011, 11:55 PM
http://srslycute.com/HLIC/2cf1f7229159036999b77f903e04a9d1.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/6/2011, 12:38 AM
I couldn't agree more! Why would anyone want to go back to the desert, especially for a lower tiered bowl? This team has given up.. we saw that the other night. It's nothing but bad football, so why drive 1,000 miles to witness that?I suppose I can drive the 10 miles or so from my abode to Sun Devil stadium on the 30th of Dec. Wish it wasn't so effing late at night...

SanJoaquinSooner
12/6/2011, 12:43 AM
Ironic that we whipped Texas and finished 9-3 vs their 7-5 yet they get to go to San Diego while we stuck with lower tier Arizona.

12/6/2011, 12:52 AM
Ironic that we whipped Texas and finished 9-3 vs their 7-5 yet they get to go to San Diego while we stuck with lower tier Arizona.I wish the Big 12 Champion would go to the Holiday Bowl. Make it a BCS bowl instead of the Univ of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale AZ. Heck, change the name to Fiesta Bowl if need be.

rock on sooner
12/6/2011, 08:48 AM
After reading all the replies to my post, I can only say that at least some are "fair weather" fans and some are still loyal.
If the "fair weather" fans rule, then I can say with certainty that OU will not reach the 10 win mark, assuming fan support
(or lack there of) means anything. Hawkeye fans will be rockin'....just sayin'.

Curly Bill
12/6/2011, 08:52 AM
After reading all the replies to my post, I can only say that at least some are "fair weather" fans and some are still loyal.
If the "fair weather" fans rule, then I can say with certainty that OU will not reach the 10 win mark, assuming fan support
(or lack there of) means anything. Hawkeye fans will be rockin'....just sayin'.

Fair weather fans? The current in vogue term is bandwagon fans, so get it right.

rock on sooner
12/6/2011, 08:56 AM
[Excuuuuuse me, but you DID get my point....UOTE=Curly Bill;3420630]Fair weather fans? The current in vogue term is bandwagon fans, so get it right.[/QUOTE]

cleller
12/6/2011, 09:02 AM
OU and the Big XII take a bath on this one unless OU was able to negotiate a very low ticket guarantee.

Yep, this could look bad.

BigJerm7
12/6/2011, 09:39 AM
Been twice. I dig the area, and I'd go, but time and money are 2 things I don't have much of this year.

oudanny
12/6/2011, 10:12 AM
I went last year and froze my azz off. I'm a season ticket holder and tired of watching this defense lay down and Landry **** down his pant leg. I went to the senior day game out of respect for the seniors. It was an ugly day and an ugly game. I've shown my support. I'm going to Dallas this year for the Armed Services Bowl. Cheaper and closer to home.

King Barry's Back
12/6/2011, 10:47 AM
I live in Germany.

No way, no how I am making it to freaking AZ for a bowl game, or anything else.

Sad to see so many Sooners blowing off the game, but frankly, I can't see much reason for anybody to go.

"Fairweather, bandwagon" fans are not going to be very excited about playing a "meh" opponent in the Afterthought.com Bowl.

And die-hards are not going to be very excited about playing a "meh" opponent in the Afterthought.com Bowl, when they've already made three trips to PHX and can expect to make more in the future.

It is what it is. A mid-tier bowl. Some schools (like Iowa) are thrilled to play in those. Oklahoma is not. So be it.

TXBOOMER
12/6/2011, 11:15 AM
I am not going this year. I'm just not going to eat those expenses for a spare game. I would have for the Fiesta.

SoonerorLater
12/6/2011, 12:05 PM
Well if the TOTAL ..... DOMINANCE......HOUR is correct then we can expect about 3000 fans to show up.

cccasooner2
12/6/2011, 12:07 PM

Rumor has it that Stoops and his staff are picking up the tab for the shortfall. They thought it was the least they could do for disappointing the fans.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2011, 02:01 PM
"H*ll!" and "No!"

we won't go

MamaMia
12/6/2011, 02:19 PM
My family only budgets for BCS Bowls.

Mississippi Sooner
12/6/2011, 02:21 PM
I won't be going, but if someone could bring me back a corndog, that'd be great.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/6/2011, 02:42 PM
Having OU to buy lots of tickets that can't be sold will say more to the admin than anything else anyone could think of. People will likely stay home this year.

12/6/2011, 02:49 PM
Having OU to buy lots of tickets that can't be sold will say more to the admin than anything else anyone could think of. People will likely stay home this year.Not so sure it will bother the administration all that much.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/6/2011, 03:57 PM
^^ Could be right on that. Boren keeps flogging that stupid "more national merit finalists" crap, he thinks no one has ever heard it. Sometimes I think the school has become tone death in his effort to become the Stanford or the Yale/Harvard of flyover country.

12/6/2011, 04:18 PM
^^ Could be right on that. Boren keeps flogging that stupid "more national merit finalists" crap, he thinks no one has ever heard it. Sometimes I think the school has become tone death in his effort to become the Stanford or the Yale/Harvard of flyover country.jaja!

Iowa27-Belldozer 21

He who suffers a tone death is one who goes quietly. We might do just that.

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2011, 04:37 PM
There's already a lot of talk and excitement with the Hawkeyes heading back to Tempe. They'll travel farther than OU will. Hope
the fans can get over the disappointment and get behind the team. I'm here in Iowa, Hawkeye fans are a deprived bunch...used
to lower tier bowls and are already talking about a date with a national program like the Sooners....date in the desert, etc. C'mon,
Sooner faithful, don't let the team down. If I had the $, I'd be in Tempe! Boomer!:excitement::pride:

Am I the only one who read that as talk and excrement?

The Maestro
12/6/2011, 04:57 PM
AZ resident here and I see no reason to come if I was an OU fan back that way.

Hell, I already have free tickets secured and it won't be some crazy night...gonna be strange watching OU in a bowl game that I really don't give a **** about. If we win 50-0 am I going to feel good about the season? Nope. Just going to be entertained...and I have bad news for Travis Lewis if he waves his arms at me to get up and make noise. Ain't happenin'.

nativesooner
12/6/2011, 05:04 PM
I had 3 guys willing to make the trek out to Phoenix for the Fiesta... those 3 all said NO to the Insight and staying at the same place... :(

rock on sooner
12/6/2011, 05:06 PM
Am I the only one who read that as talk and excrement?
It was written in an attempt to stop so much of the negative team and coach bashing. Sorry, but if you regard it
as excrement, I'll send along a roll of candy flavored toilet paper that you can use and then eat.

yermom
12/6/2011, 07:11 PM
i'm going. going to try to hit the Grand Canyon this time. i have meant to like everytime i'm in the area

i'm not buying tickets from OU though

StoopTroup
12/6/2011, 07:20 PM
i'm going. going to try to hit the Grand Canyon this time. i have meant to like everytime i'm in the area

i'm not buying tickets from OU though

We didn't buy tickets when we went to the Sun Bowl. I wouldn't say there were tons of tickets available but we did find 4 together. They were decent tickets for that Stadium. Sun Devil Stadium holds 20,000 more folks than the Sun Bowl and that's a hell of a ways to go if you live in Iowa. I bet there are plenty of tickets. It's not a BCS Bowl either. I bet you do fine.

Damn that food they had at the Sun Bowl was good....lol

The Canyon and the Painted Desert are awesome IMO.

12/6/2011, 07:45 PM

i'm not buying tickets from OU thoughI FINALLY went to the Grand Canyon in April this year. (after being in AZ since 1990)

It truly is something that can never be properly represented on film or tape. It's GRAND!

Go to Sedona too, on the way to the Canyon. If you haven't seen Sedona, it's quite a surprise.

you can no doubt get tickets for the game REALLY cheap outside the stadium. It's what I'm gonna do.

Soonermagik
12/6/2011, 07:50 PM
I think all of our fans should boycott this game to let the University, Stoops and Co and the team know this isn't what Oklahoma football fans expect. If you want our support, you must win. Heck, we dole out big dollars for season tickets, buy expensive merchandise etc.. This is a results driven deal and the players, coaches etc. shouldn't get the benefit of the fans with their sloppy play.

12/6/2011, 07:55 PM
I think all of our fans should boycott this game to let the University, Stoops and Co and the team know this isn't what Oklahoma football fans expect. If you want our support, you must win. Heck, we dole out big dollars for season tickets, buy expensive merchandise etc.. This is a results driven deal and the players, coaches etc. shouldn't get the benefit of the fans with their sloppy play.Didn't OU have LOTS of home games that didn't sell out during the Gibbs-Schmelly-Blake years?

Soonermagik
12/6/2011, 08:32 PM
Didn't OU have LOTS of home games that didn't sell out during the Gibbs-Schmelly-Blake years?

Yeah, and we weren't paying those guys $5 million a season were we? Also, they didn't have the facilities they have now. I'm tired of lame excuses like these. The fans, students etc.. put a lot of money into this program and we expect more than the Insight bowl, especially being ranked pre-season #1, Bob Stoops saying this is one of his best teams, Landry Jones on the Heisman watch list, Travis Lewis and Broyles coming back... need I say more?

SoonerorLater
12/6/2011, 09:05 PM
There is something inside telling me that OU doesn't show up for this game. I don't think the fans are going to show up either. Hope I'm wrong.

TanTanFeil
12/6/2011, 09:17 PM
You all dogging on Brent Venables are idiots. Venables actually did a great job with the defense this year. Only had 1 bad game and that was obviously Tech. Mizzou, good offense. Baylor, best offense in the country. OSU, right up there with Baylor. Don't give me this crap. Plus besides, Frank and Ronnel, our front 7 was mediocre. And the secondary was mediocre as well. You can't blame the defense when it was the offense not staying on the field long enough. Also the offense couldn't move the ball far enough to help the defense back in the opposing teams zone. No way is it the D's fault. You all are idiots for blaming Venables. I will be pissed if we fire him

TanTanFeil
12/6/2011, 09:19 PM
I would take the trip down to Tempe. In fact, I might look into tickets. It would be a good, fun, and cheaper trip

yermom
12/6/2011, 10:04 PM
gas and hotel are like 10x what tickets will be

Sooner_Tuf
12/6/2011, 11:42 PM
I am thinking about going. I used to live out there and have tons of friends I would like to see. It may not be a BCS Game but it's still Sooner Football and I'm always down for that. Besides after this one it is a long time to the next one.

I Am Right
12/7/2011, 11:33 AM
Hell I am not going, I dont want to travel out there and watch a bunch of receivers drop passes.

I Am Right
12/7/2011, 11:34 AM
Gosh I hope Landry goes pro.

rock on sooner
12/7/2011, 11:49 AM
Gosh I hope Landry goes pro. He will, just probably not when you want him to.

Sooners78
12/7/2011, 12:39 PM
You all dogging on Brent Venables are idiots. Venables actually did a great job with the defense this year. Only had 1 bad game and that was obviously Tech. Mizzou, good offense. Baylor, best offense in the country. OSU, right up there with Baylor. Don't give me this crap. Plus besides, Frank and Ronnel, our front 7 was mediocre. And the secondary was mediocre as well. You can't blame the defense when it was the offense not staying on the field long enough. Also the offense couldn't move the ball far enough to help the defense back in the opposing teams zone. No way is it the D's fault. You all are idiots for blaming Venables. I will be pissed if we fire him

Are you sure you posted in the right thread? I'm not sure Venerables was even mentioned in this thread.

Fraggle145
12/7/2011, 03:28 PM

Who recruits the guys in our front 7 again? Oh yeah that one guy... What's his name again? It's right on the tip of my tongue

Fraggle145
12/7/2011, 03:29 PM
There is something inside telling me that OU doesn't show up for this game...

They didnt show up for most of the season, what would make this game any different?

12/7/2011, 04:07 PM
They didnt show up for most of the season, what would make this game any different?They showed up for the Criminoles( about 3/4 of the game), the cows, K State, aTm! 4/12=67% no-shows. SOMEBODY'S OVERPAID!

TanTanFeil
12/8/2011, 12:46 AM
Are you sure you posted in the right thread? I'm not sure Venerables was even mentioned in this thread.

On the first page, some people posted about bad defense and they will go only if we fire Venables

TanTanFeil
12/8/2011, 12:49 AM
Who recruits the guys in our front 7 again? Oh yeah that one guy... What's his name again? It's right on the tip of my tongue

I know what you're saying. But it's just one of those off years where we got kina unlucky with our recruits. Venables will have this D going again next year

Fraggle145
12/8/2011, 03:16 AM
I know what you're saying. But it's just one of those off years where we got kina unlucky with our recruits. Venables will have this D going again next year

Let em know when we get a linebacker that can shut his mouth and that doesnt injure himself tackling air...

MrJimBeam
12/8/2011, 06:17 AM
Gosh I hope Landry goes pro.We got somebody better I don't know about?

Soonermagik
12/8/2011, 09:38 AM
We got somebody better I don't know about?

We can't find out until he leaves can we? Do you think Drew Allen or Blake Bell want to chew up another year of eligibility? I wouldn't be surprised if one of them tries to transfer if Jones comes back for his last year. I hope Jones can awe scouts and go out a winner against Iowa. Maybe then, he will feel like he can head to the NFL.

rock on sooner
12/8/2011, 09:48 AM
We can't find out until he leaves can we? Do you think Drew Allen or Blake Bell want to chew up another year of eligibility? I wouldn't be surprised if one of them tries to transfer if Jones comes back for his last year. I hope Jones can awe scouts and go out a winner against Iowa. Maybe then, he will feel like he can head to the NFL. The scouts will look at his body of work and how he tests on pro day and at the combine. That said, I think
he comes back and Allen may transfer.

SoonerShark
12/9/2011, 07:40 PM
Also, I would not buy tickets through the University because I always got crummy seats for 3 times what I paid for better seats. I will not go until the bowls release tickets the fans of the participating teams. This hurts the schools, since they have an allotment to sell. Until University Presidents stand up to them the bowls will not do the right thing. Or is Boren so obtuse since he has prime seats to care about the Sooner fans?

12/9/2011, 09:16 PM
It would be VERRY interesting if a college simply turned down a bowl invitation, for any reason.

C&CDean
12/10/2011, 10:13 AM
This thread clearly demonstrates the attitude of the average OU fan. We sucked even when we were undefeated, so don't try and act like it's only since the team went south. Nothing less than total perfection would be enough. A lot of you must live very disappointing lives.

And no, I am not going. However, it's not because I hate our players or coaches like some of y'all.

olevetonahill
12/10/2011, 10:32 AM
This thread clearly demonstrates the attitude of the average OU fan. We sucked even when we were undefeated, so don't try and act like it's only since the team went south. Nothing less than total perfection would be enough. A lot of you must live very disappointing lives.

And no, I am not going. However, it's not because I hate our players or coaches like some of y'all.

I'd love to go. Just cant swing it this year.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/10/2011, 10:47 AM

And no, I am not going. However, it's not because I hate our players or coaches like some of y'all.Once again, Dean is full of truthiness.

yermom
12/10/2011, 10:58 AM
It would be VERRY interesting if a college simply turned down a bowl invitation, for any reason.

i can only think of Notre Dame and aTm doing it recently.

even if you aren't losing out on that much money, it seems like a stupid idea since your 6-6 team could probably use the extra practice time, which i'm assuming you don't get.

12/10/2011, 05:26 PM
i can only think of Notre Dame and aTm doing it recently.(turning down a bowl invitation)

even if you aren't losing out on that much money, it seems like a stupid idea since your 6-6 team could probably use the extra practice time, which i'm assuming you don't get.It's a chickenshi* and inexplicable move, unless maybe if the coach has already been fired.

yermom
12/10/2011, 06:32 PM
if the coach has been fired, there is generally another one hired before the bowls start. would it not make more sense to give the new coach a head start in practicing with the players?

SoonerMom2
12/10/2011, 07:18 PM
Bought seats through the University and they are in the same OU section like last year. We are one row closer this year. Something happened because this is the 3rd bowl in a row with seats in the Sooner section not scattered among opposing teams. We have enjoyed our seats the last few years.

12/10/2011, 07:48 PM
if the coach has been fired, there is generally another one hired before the bowls start. would it not make more sense to give the new coach a head start in practicing with the players?Yes. Or have an interim HC like the Nittany boys did. It is NOT a good move for a school to turn down a bowl game, no matter HOW dispirited(ahem) they may be.

VA Sooner
12/10/2011, 11:47 PM
Agree. You should go for the bowl and get your team regrouped another the new head coach.