PDA

View Full Version : Welfare slugs in million dollar home.

cleller
12/5/2011, 03:49 PM
Obviously this is a very rare deal, but I'd always wondered if it would be possible to pull off a stunt like this. story from Yahoo:

A Seattle woman who is receiving welfare assistance from Washington state also happens to live in a waterfront house on Lake Washington worth more than a million dollars.

Federal agents raided the home this weekend but have not released the woman or her husband's name because they have not officially been charged with a crime.

However, federal documents obtained by KING 5 News show the couple currently receives more than $1,200 a month in public housing vouchers, plus state and government disability checks and food stamps. They have been receiving the benefits since 2003.

The 2,500 square-foot home, which includes gardens and a boat dock, is valued at $1.2 million. And even though the couple has been receiving the benefits for nearly 10 years, records show that they accurately listed the address of their current home when applying for the state and federal benefits.

A federal official told KING 5 that the couple likely took advantage of a loophole, which allows low-income individuals to receive financial assistance to help them pay their rent and move away from housing projects. However, the law does not require officials to verify what type of home the benefits recipient is living in.

As if the million dollar home weren't enough, the supposedly low-income couple also gave money to various charities and traveled around the world to locales in Turkey, Tel Aviv and resort towns in Mexico, according to court records. (end)

No way to tell if she owned, rented, squatted or what.
Suppose you socked away lots of cash and assets, and had little true monthly income. Your tax returns would look like you were poor, so you then go out and get the government dough. I've joked around about it, but would never try something like this. Are there rules about your current assets you have to disclose to get welfare, or is it just monthly income? Either way, plenty of case could fall thru the cracks, no way to check up on everyone.

Figured I better start this here, rather than South Oval. Not much new arguing going on here anyway.

badger
12/5/2011, 03:57 PM
I wonder if its a family house or if they were given the house or are house sitting for an extended period of time (or giving elder care for the actual owner).

Of course, house squatting is apparently on the rise for a few reasons, so that's possible too. When homes are foreclosed on or when people move out and put houses on the market (for "fair market value" hahahahahahahahaha), they often don't sell right away, creating massive vacancies. Then, as people get evicted from places they own or rent for whatever reason (getting behind on rent, get foreclosed on, etc), that means more people are in search of housing.

Position Limit
12/5/2011, 03:58 PM
when i read your thread title i thought i was gonna read about banks stealing multi billion dollar bailout money and handing out multi million dollar bonuses and buying vacation homes. but i can see the outrage as one welfare queen after another i grinding our way of life to a halt.

Position Limit
12/5/2011, 04:06 PM
i'll trade you john mac's queen for yours.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-real-housewives-of-wall-street-look-whos-cashing-in-on-the-bailout-20110411

Dale Ellis
12/5/2011, 04:09 PM
when i read your thread title i thought i was gonna read about banks stealing multi billion dollar bailout money and handing out multi million dollar bonuses and buying vacation homes. but i can see the outrage as one welfare queen after another i grinding our way of life to a halt.

Yea, bailout money many were forced to take, bailout money many have paid back with interest. How dare anyone buy a vacation home when these poor OWS bums are living in tents.

At least the folks at the evil banks are actually working.

Position Limit
12/5/2011, 04:13 PM
Yea, bailout money many were forced to take, bailout money many have paid back with interest. How dare anyone buy a vacation home when these poor OWS bums are living in tents.

At least the folks at the evil banks are actually working.

you serious clark? once again, ladies and gentlemen, dale ellis.......

Frozen Sooner
12/5/2011, 04:18 PM
Obviously this is a very rare deal, but I'd always wondered if it would be possible to pull off a stunt like this. story from Yahoo:

A Seattle woman who is receiving welfare assistance from Washington state also happens to live in a waterfront house on Lake Washington worth more than a million dollars.

Federal agents raided the home this weekend but have not released the woman or her husband's name because they have not officially been charged with a crime.

However, federal documents obtained by KING 5 News show the couple currently receives more than $1,200 a month in public housing vouchers, plus state and government disability checks and food stamps. They have been receiving the benefits since 2003.

The 2,500 square-foot home, which includes gardens and a boat dock, is valued at $1.2 million. And even though the couple has been receiving the benefits for nearly 10 years, records show that they accurately listed the address of their current home when applying for the state and federal benefits.

A federal official told KING 5 that the couple likely took advantage of a loophole, which allows low-income individuals to receive financial assistance to help them pay their rent and move away from housing projects. However, the law does not require officials to verify what type of home the benefits recipient is living in.

As if the million dollar home weren't enough, the supposedly low-income couple also gave money to various charities and traveled around the world to locales in Turkey, Tel Aviv and resort towns in Mexico, according to court records. (end)

No way to tell if she owned, rented, squatted or what.
Suppose you socked away lots of cash and assets, and had little true monthly income. Your tax returns would look like you were poor, so you then go out and get the government dough. I've joked around about it, but would never try something like this. Are there rules about your current assets you have to disclose to get welfare, or is it just monthly income? Either way, plenty of case could fall thru the cracks, no way to check up on everyone.

Figured I better start this here, rather than South Oval. Not much new arguing going on here anyway.

Section 8 doesn't have much of an asset limitation. I think AFDC does. Food stamps have a limit that only applies at 185% of poverty level and houses don't count against the asset limit.

Dale Ellis
12/5/2011, 04:45 PM
you serious clark? once again, ladies and gentlemen, dale ellis.......

So you're telling me the banks didn't pay back any of the bailout money, they all wanted the bail out money and their employes don't work? Ladies and gentleman Mr. Headinthesand.

Dale Ellis
12/5/2011, 04:46 PM
Section 8 doesn't have much of an asset limitation. I think AFDC does. Food stamps have a limit that only applies at 185% of poverty level and houses don't count against the asset limit.

They should be thrown in the prison, do you know how many baby mommas out their could have used that money for tattoos, and her weaves.

SoonerLaw09
12/5/2011, 05:22 PM
If I read the article right, they've been living there for 10 years and told the gov't exactly where they were living when they applied for welfare. This one's on the Feds (or the State if it's a state-administered plan). And, they traveled around the world.

gotta love that welfare state, boy.

cleller
12/5/2011, 05:39 PM
I knew this belonged here.

So these two both get a disability check from the state and feds each month, food stamps, and $1200 to pay for housing. This disability crap is really a lousy scam. If they can take trips all over the world, they can check out groceries, answer phones, something. When you add all this up, they probably make more each month than lots of families trying to raise kids.

Maybe this seems like small potatoes to some, but that fact that this exists in the US just stinks. Freeloading self absorbed leeches.

Dale Ellis
12/5/2011, 05:42 PM

So these two both get a disability check from the state and feds each month, food stamps, and $1200 to pay for housing. This disability crap is really a lousy scam. If they can take trips all over the world, they can check out groceries, answer phones, something. When you add all this up, they probably make more each month than lots of families trying to raise kids.

Maybe this seems like small potatoes to some, but that fact that this exists in the US just stinks. Freeloading self absorbed leeches.

The American Dream, government funded housing for all, free food, free healthcare. Oh, but only to those not willing to help themselves, the hell with you working types.

IBleedCrimson
12/5/2011, 05:58 PM
Whew. I thought this was another thread about Brent Venebles.

badger
12/5/2011, 06:41 PM

I think people that do this justify this by saying that others are taking far more from the government that they do that are far less deserving.. the Bank of Americas, the GMs, the CEOs that get their companies cash bonuses in pork-filled bills. If others can get free government money, why not us?

This is when a moral compass has to kick in. Something like this should not seem right to people. Something like this should send off red flags in people's minds that says "I did not earn this money and this money should be helping those who truly are disabled, hungry, homeless or otherwise in need, and I am none of the above."

Alas, some people's moral compasses need realignment so that north stops pointing south.

badger
12/5/2011, 06:43 PM
I am also reminded on Sherri Coale's latest blog entry. She saw a bumper sticker that said "Actually, nobody owes you crap."

Link (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/coale_space.html)

Does the government owe you because they give to others? Does society owe you the same lifestyles that you see on MTV's Cribs or a blingy watch that the pro athletes wear?

Actually, nobody owes you crap :D

Turd_Ferguson
12/5/2011, 07:03 PM
The American Dream, government funded housing for all, free food, free healthcare. Oh, but only to those not willing to help themselves, the hell with you working types.Ringa ringa ringa ZANG!!! lmao...

soonercruiser
12/5/2011, 11:12 PM
i'll trade you john mac's queen for yours.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-real-housewives-of-wall-street-look-whos-cashing-in-on-the-bailout-20110411

I propose that both queens are ugly, decietful "beings".
Are you single, PL? You could be King!
:pride:

TheHumanAlphabet
12/6/2011, 11:41 AM
Scam...

Man is a Dr. of Chiropracty, has a long career in NJ/NYC and in Washington. Woman seems to be a Russian immigrant. Can anyone tell me if any Russian woman immigrant ever hasn't been in trouble with the law or ran away from their US man they married?

Bourbon St Sooner
12/6/2011, 01:45 PM
I have a friend who married a Russian (actually Ukrainian like there's a difference) mail order bride about 3 years ago. She hasn't run away from him yet.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/6/2011, 02:12 PM
I have a friend who married a Russian (actually Ukrainian like there's a difference) mail order bride about 3 years ago. She hasn't run away from him yet.

That's a first for me... I know 3 guys that this has happened to. And yes, I know stretching not everyone is lumped together.