PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops

Ruf/Nek7
12/5/2011, 01:52 PM
So as we all know, Mike Stoops is unemployed. Personally, I would love to bring Mike back and move Brent to linebackers coach or something. From what I've been told, Mike will have Head coaching opportunities but Ohio State, and apparently A&M are willing to offer him $1.3 million a year. My question for you guys is this; is 1.3 mil a year possible for any schools assistant coach and if so, what is the average pay for the top football programs assistant coaches (OU, texas, Florida, tosu, usc)?

BASSooner
12/5/2011, 05:51 PM
i'd take mike for $2 mil/year

Breadburner
12/5/2011, 05:53 PM
How willl this help us.....

Curly Bill
12/5/2011, 05:56 PM
How willl this help us.....

By taking BV out of a position he's not doing a great job at. And maybe Mike could re-light whatever fire once burned in brother Bob. Hell, one things for sure: it couldn't hurt!

EatLeadCommie
12/5/2011, 06:01 PM
We can't hire Mike without firing somebody else. We all know Bob won't fire Brent, nor will any other program hire him.

Breadburner
12/5/2011, 06:01 PM
Were Mike's defenses in Arizona any good.....

Curly Bill
12/5/2011, 06:03 PM
I have no doubt Bob's not gonna fire BV, so I agree it's a moot point.

BASSooner
12/5/2011, 06:10 PM
By taking BV out of a position he's not doing a great job at. And maybe Mike could re-light whatever fire once burned in brother Bob. Hell, one things for sure: it couldn't hurt!

With Mike back, you see the entire defensive staff perfectly intact in the exact same fashion when Stoops showed up here withith the exception of Willie. Mike and Bob need each other and theres a slight possibility that it could happen...

BV stays. If anyone goes, it's Willie and it's for greener pastures.

badger
12/5/2011, 06:13 PM
Even the top assistants, even coach-in-waiting guys don't top a million a season. That threshold wasn't broken by UT's coach boom and I don't wanna bust it myself. They get paid too much as-is when athletic departments are barely staying outta the red.

goingoneight
12/5/2011, 07:27 PM
If he's in the market to become an assistant again, it's a mistake on the part of his older brother to let Ohio Sanction-- err... State get ahold of him.

That said, how did his swaggertude work out for him in Arizona. No one seems to remember the co-coordinator situation him, BV and BJW were in. I don't see anymore crazy antics out of Mike than I did out of BJW or Martinez, so it's not like we're lacking a fiery guy to get in the guys' faces. I also remember "Mike's" (see: sarcasm) defenses having problems from 99-03, too. They were fun, exciting and at times dominating, but let's not mistake them for being the end-all answer to our foes in recent years.

Dan Thompson
12/5/2011, 07:30 PM
I can't recall Bob Stoops firing anyone. Most left to take HC jobs.

Neath a Western Sky
12/5/2011, 07:35 PM
Mike's defenses were on the whole significantly better than Brent's, as has been quantified by other posters on here in other threads. Plus, as BaSSooner said, Mike and Bob need each other. Both their careers are spiraling downward without the other. Mike returns as D Coordinator, Brent LBs, Willie maybe gone. Hopefully Josh learned a lot this year on the O side. The 38-10 first half balance in Bedlam when we should have been sledgehammering from the get-go should have been a huge if painful lesson.

goingoneight
12/5/2011, 07:48 PM
To me, Kittle was a strange hire. I don't know what he brings to the table... but... tight ends and tackles? WTF? What exactly was Patton doing so horribly wrong to put four OTs in the NFL? Josh has coached TEs before, too. idk... maybe he is the end all reason why we were any good at all this year? You have to pick someone to fire if you're going to bring someone someone else on. Not saying it's him. Hell, Martinez is questionable, too. No one gets a pass after a game like we had Saturday, really. Something needs to change... even if it's internal and everyone stays on hand.

azheat4u
12/5/2011, 10:02 PM
Mike's defensive units at Arizona were average at best. Let Mike go to Ohio State or Nebraska and get someone in here who has a little fire in his belly. Until that happens our defense will always be overrated.

Curly Bill
12/5/2011, 10:38 PM
Mike had average defensive talent at Arizona at best. It's worth a shot to see what he could do if back at OU...or if Bob wants to go hire some young hotshot DC that's great too, but either option would be better than another BV season.

FaninAma
12/5/2011, 10:50 PM
Mike & Bob together are better coaches than they are apart. They seem to feed off one another when they are on the same staff. I think it would reenergize Bob.

soonerinbixby
12/6/2011, 09:36 AM
I will be very disappointed if Bob doesn't at least try to bring Mike back. Mike has said that he would like to come back to OU per Dean Blevins. Take that for what it is worth. We need to upgrade our talent level on defense and get some DTs and some linebackers and a few guys in the secondary possibly. Mike knows how to coach those dbs. He was outstanding at OU when he was here and Urban Meyer wants him in a bad way at Ohio State. That right there should tell us that people think very highly of Mike.

King Barry's Back
12/6/2011, 10:03 AM
Were Mike's defenses in Arizona any good.....

Heck, yeah, they were. I don't know how they stacked up statistically, but they flat out played.

Their technique was spectacular, they were highly disciplined, and enthusiastic playmakers.

All hallmarks of great defense.

At least in the games I saw....

King Barry's Back
12/6/2011, 10:13 AM
Even the top assistants, even coach-in-waiting guys don't top a million a season. That threshold wasn't broken by UT's coach boom and I don't wanna bust it myself. They get paid too much as-is when athletic departments are barely staying outta the red.

But you miss the point. Athletic Departments are supposed to barely stay out of the red.

If they retain funds, they are not fully investing in winning. If they do not engage in long-term borrowing to finance things like facility upgrades, they are not providing needed resources to their student-athletes to remain competitive.

If you see AD spending going up, it is due to one and only one reason -- the inflationary bubble underway in TV-sports revenue.

It's funny when I hear schools say they couldn't afford a coach w/o some new TV contract. If ALL the contracts weren't going up, they'd still be able to afford the guy because he would be getting paid a lot less.

Keep this in mind. John Blake got paid $750k during his tenure, and he was one of America's highly paid coaches.

I guess in summary, I'd just say that if TV revenues keep going up (a really big IF), it is inevitable that assistants are going to start signing million dollar contracts.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2011, 10:14 AM
Heck, yeah, they were. I don't know how they stacked up statistically, but they flat out played.

Their technique was spectacular, they were highly disciplined, and enthusiastic playmakers.

All hallmarks of great defense.

At least in the games I saw....
Really? Defensively, they were among the leaders in most penalized and were ranked 110th this year in total defense..nothing spectacular looking back..

The bad part for them it was their upperclassmen who seemed to get the knucklehead penalties...showed a lack of discipline for sure.

EatLeadCommie
12/6/2011, 10:16 AM
IMO, we need two people to leave the staff. Whether BV is one of them or not, I don't know. However, somebody needs to come in and be DC, even if it's co-DC like it was before with Mike. In addition to that, we obviously need a special teams coach.

I would also like to see a new guy coaching the offensive line. Patton's lines are soft and have been since his arrival.

NormanPride
12/6/2011, 10:49 AM
I don't disagree that Mike could create a game plan (though I heard he destroyed our game plan in 2003 before kstate and confused all the guys) but he couldn't recruit at all. His attrition rate was even worse than Mangino's, I believe. I'd be fine on bringing him in if he was in charge of recruiting kickers only. ;)

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2011, 11:14 AM
Mike was the nations best at "mad coach face". Only Pelini could even get a mention in that category.

Jacie
12/6/2011, 12:23 PM
Mike was the nations best at "mad coach face". Only Pelini could even get a mention in that category.

Speaking of Mike Stoops and Pelini in the same sentence . . .

Mike Stoops all ears if Neb’s Pelini offers job

By ERIC OLSON, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

OMAHA, Neb. (AP)—Former Arizona coach Mike Stoops says he would consider the Nebraska defensive coordinator’s job if it is offered to him.

Huskers coach Bo Pelini has to fill the opening left when his brother, Carl, left to become head coach at Florida Atlantic.

Stoops said Tuesday he would be interested in either a coordinator or head coaching job. He declined to comment on whether Bo Pelini had discussed a job at Nebraska with him.

Stoops said he watched Nebraska three or four times on television and is impressed with the Cornhuskers’ defensive system.

Arizona fired the 49-year-old Stoops halfway through his eighth season after the Wildcats got off to a 1-5 start.

The Pelini and Stoops families are close friends from their days in Youngstown, Ohio.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2011, 01:06 PM
That would be quite the sideline display when a call goes against the NU defense. Refs might refuse to stand on that side of the field. :D