PDA

View Full Version : Thai Basil

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/5/2011, 12:26 PM
Just tried this place for the first time yesterday. OMG. So good.

Next time I go I'm getting the pineapple rice with three stars. It's been described on here as "crack rice."

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/5/2011, 12:32 PM
This place is really called Sweet Basil.

badger
12/5/2011, 12:46 PM
I grew several varieties of basil this summer, including thai. They all did well. Lemon was especially interesting. :)

NormanPride
12/5/2011, 01:01 PM
Mmmm... lemon basil...

sooner59
12/5/2011, 01:14 PM
I have two sweet basil plants and one Thai basil plant. That being said, I love Thai food. There is a good one up here in Tulsa called Lanna Thai.

C&CDean
12/5/2011, 04:22 PM
Get the Tom Yum soup #5. It will clear your sinuses. Sweet Basil Thai is good eats.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/5/2011, 05:15 PM
Get the Tom Yum soup #5. It will clear your sinuses. Sweet Basil Thai is good eats.Yep. That's my plan for next time.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 05:38 PM
I don't go there. Thai KumKoon is my preference...more Thai, less "Oriental".

I have spent mucho time in Thailand and if there isn't lemongrass in the dish when it should be there, it ain't happenin' for me.

When I expressed my confusion and outrage, they told me people complained because it wasn't edible so they took it out.

F'in Hillbillies.

GDC
12/5/2011, 07:36 PM
On Main, correct?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/5/2011, 11:06 PM
Yes. It's over by the old Vista.

yermom
12/5/2011, 11:20 PM
Yermom approves of both Lanna Thai and Sweet Basil

Chuck Bao
12/6/2011, 12:21 AM
I don't go there. Thai KumKoon is my preference...more Thai, less "Oriental".

I have spent mucho time in Thailand and if there isn't lemongrass in the dish when it should be there, it ain't happenin' for me.

When I expressed my confusion and outrage, they told me people complained because it wasn't edible so they took it out.

F'in Hillbillies.

Heh! Come on, LB, you have to relax your standards a little. I'm just thankful that Oklahoma has a few halfway decent Thai restaurants.

When I am entertaining guests at Thai restaurant, I tell them that they shouldn't eat everything in the soup. This lemon grass part here, no. This thick slice of coriander root , no. This prawn head, no. This red pepper, definitely no.

You really can't blame Thai restaurants in the US for watering it down a bit. I no longer delude myself into thinking my friends and family would even try the food that I love so much.

KantoSooner
12/6/2011, 09:24 AM
I'm looking for a source of Thai eggplant. Those little bombs that go 'pop' in green curries.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 09:54 AM
Heh! Come on, LB, you have to relax your standards a little. I'm just thankful that Oklahoma has a few halfway decent Thai restaurants.

When I am entertaining guests at Thai restaurant, I tell them that they shouldn't eat everything in the soup. This lemon grass part here, no. This thick slice of coriander root , no. This prawn head, no. This red pepper, definitely no.

You really can't blame Thai restaurants in the US for watering it down a bit. I no longer delude myself into thinking my friends and family would even try the food that I love so much.

But I don't! Thai KumKoon on Lindsey serves it up right.

When she asks me how hot, I say, "Serve it like YOU like it." They always smile, raise an eyebrow and say, "You sure?". I say, "Yes, Khop Kun Kop." Invariably I get a giggle and then an audience when I eat. Much sweating and nose wiping.

Asian heat >>> Mexican heat

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/6/2011, 09:59 AM
I like my Thai food like I like my men: spicy with a little sweetness.

KantoSooner
12/6/2011, 11:04 AM
There's a place over in Siloam Springs that has great noodles...and the two sisters who run it are SE Asian hotties....who speak English with an Arkie accent. About as wonderful as it gets.

<Think Michelle Yeo reprising Daisy Duke>

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 11:08 AM
There's a place over in Siloam Springs that has great noodles...and the two sisters who run it are SE Asian hotties....who speak English with an Arkie accent. About as wonderful as it gets.

<Think Michelle Yeo reprising Daisy Duke>

Name? I'm in SS several time a month.

KantoSooner
12/6/2011, 11:13 AM
Thai Palace? On the south side of 412 just east of main, as I recall. I just go there about weekly on business, so I've forgotten the exact directions. It's there, I go. Magically, I seem to end up in that area around lunch time.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 11:15 AM
I'll look next time.

The construction they have been doing on 412 for two generations has given me tunnel vision in SS. I just want to get through the traffic and move on. I wonder how much $$$ the business have lost over this time.

C&CDean
12/7/2011, 09:59 PM
But I don't! Thai KumKoon on Lindsey serves it up right.

When she asks me how hot, I say, "Serve it like YOU like it." They always smile, raise an eyebrow and say, "You sure?". I say, "Yes, Khop Kun Kop." Invariably I get a giggle and then an audience when I eat. Much sweating and nose wiping.

Asian heat >>> Mexican heat

Dude, it's a buffet. Momma and I love the hell out of it, but it's still a buffet. Best Thai buffet ever, but still a buffet.

Lott's Bandana
12/7/2011, 10:27 PM
Dude, it's a buffet. Momma and I love the hell out of it, but it's still a buffet. Best Thai buffet ever, but still a buffet.

KumKun a buffet? Not when I've been there.

Been a while tho.

sooner59
12/7/2011, 10:52 PM
KumKun a buffet? Not when I've been there.

Been a while tho.

I have only been there once. It was in 2009 for lunch and it was a buffet. Maybe its not for dinner, I don't know. I didn't care for the buffet. It was stale and didn't have much variety or flavor. Lanna Thai in Tulsa is my new favorite place. I like some of the basil noodle dishes (really hot), but lately I have been trying different curries and they are awesome. Something about the flavor of coconut milk and basil that goes really well with veggies and meat and white rice. So good. Also, best spring rolls I have ever had, hands down. If you are ever in Tulsa, you should try it.

Lott's Bandana
12/7/2011, 11:16 PM
Lanna Thai is good, yes.

I've only been to TKK for dinner. I suppose a buffet would make a big difference. Especially with heat.

yermom
12/8/2011, 01:35 AM
i've only been to TKK for the lunch buffet, except for maybe once, but i barely remember. always thought the other lunch deals around were better

i never tried the Tom Yum though

Serge Ibaka
12/8/2011, 02:10 AM
Thai food is my favorite food, and Sweet Basil is very nice.

I prefer Pad Thai though--significantly larger portions, and each plate is $2 or $3 less (and the quality is basically the same IMO).

I really like being in Sweet Basil though (with the fish tank and all). It's a good date-restaurant.

Fraggle145
12/8/2011, 03:10 AM
NOM NOM NOM

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/8/2011, 08:03 AM
I'll have to try TKK, even though the name makes me giggle.

Lott's Bandana
12/8/2011, 10:10 AM
TKK is more of a cafe and not as decorated as Sweet Basil. Since I've never eaten in a restaurant in Thailand that was actually indoors, its all the same to me.

Fraggle145
12/8/2011, 10:38 AM
Where the **** is TKK?

Lott's Bandana
12/8/2011, 10:47 AM
North side of Lindsey, next to Arvest on the Wylie corner.

Lott's Bandana
12/8/2011, 02:34 PM
I'm at TKK now.

Thai should not be "buffet".

I'll return soon for an awesome dinner.