PDA

View Full Version : How Does Texas...

Hornkiller
12/5/2011, 12:14 PM
Finsh 6th in the Big XII and get to go to the #3 Big XII Bowl while OU goes to the Insite Bowl, Baylor goes to the Alamo Bowl and Missouri goes to the Independence Bowl? Shouldn't Texas be in the Independence Bowl?

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2011, 12:20 PM
Bowls have a lot of freedom to pick who they want once you get outside the BCS bowls. Their goal is ticket sales. I suspect the feeling is that OU fans are so discouraged by the season, they wouldn't travel well and thus are not attractive to bowls. The horn fans are probably not happy either, but at least improved over last year and get to go to a bowl (and there are 20+ million Texans out there).

GreenSooner
12/5/2011, 12:20 PM
Not sure this answers your question but....

1) The BCS / bowl system is entirely irrational, from top to bottom. Not only doesn't it make sense, it's not supposed to.

2) After our performance on Saturday night, I think we have no business whining about anything. It's not just that we lost. It's that we didn't come to play. However disappointed (or not) you are in this season, I think it's fair to say that OU has made its own bed. Now we gotta lie in it.

SoonerKnight
12/5/2011, 12:23 PM
They want to give us the best chance at 10 wins they can!

kevpks
12/5/2011, 12:24 PM
The Holiday Bowl is the fifth bowl, not the third. This changed a few years back.

TUSooner
12/5/2011, 12:25 PM
Not sure this answers your question but....

1) The BCS / bowl system is entirely irrational, from top to bottom. Not only doesn't it make sense, it's not supposed to.

2) After our performance on Saturday night, I think we have no business whining about anything. It's not just that we lost. It's that we didn't come to play. However disappointed (or not) you are in this season, I think it's fair to say that OU has made its own bed. Now we gotta lie in it.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for keeping it simple.

sooner59
12/5/2011, 12:30 PM
Baylor to the Alamo is a no-brainer. Its a decent bowl and its fairly close to Waco in possibly Baylor's best season ever with a Heisman candidate. Mizzou to the Independence makes perfect sense. The Big 12 has bowl tie-ins with the other bowls. Mizzou in the the Big 12's sh*t list because they are leaving the conference. The Holiday would much rather have Texas than OU. Big disappointment of a season for OU. Texas actually improved and hasn't been to a bowl since '09 and they have a huge fanbase. More likely to show up than OU fans. Cotton Bowl gets a top 10 team that will show up in droves. OSU in the Fiesta. A&M had a terrible year. All of the Big 12 Bowl bids make perfect sense to me.

badger
12/5/2011, 12:44 PM
Some of these bowl invites go out before the final games of the season, just to ensure that they can get ticket sales moving as fast as possible. A team like Texas had nowhere but down to go, so they likely accepted a bowl bid non-publicly and thus, are where they are now.

Penguin
12/5/2011, 12:51 PM
The Holiday Bowl is the fifth bowl, not the third. This changed a few years back.

This is the correct answer. http://www.holyturf.com/2011/06/big-12-bowl-tie-ins-for-2011-2012/

sooner59
12/5/2011, 01:12 PM
This is the correct answer. http://www.holyturf.com/2011/06/big-12-bowl-tie-ins-for-2011-2012/

...and Texas still finds a way to make there. heh

FtwTxSooner
12/5/2011, 01:21 PM
We finished 4th in the conference and overall, and got selected by the bowl who had the #4 pick.

Texass finished 6th in the conference and overall, and got selected by the bowl who had the #5 pick.

MU finished ahead of them, but ended up getting passed up by everyone else in the conference.

What is the big deal?

champions77
12/5/2011, 01:32 PM
Would not the Insight Bowl be concerned that the OU fans have been to Phoeniz several times in the last 5-6 years, whereas we have never played in the Alamo Bowl? Won't some of the Baylor fans drive to the game on game day and then drive home after the game, spending how much money?

rainiersooner
12/5/2011, 01:39 PM
Would not the Insight Bowl be concerned that the OU fans have been to Phoeniz several times in the last 5-6 years, whereas we have never played in the Alamo Bowl? Won't some of the Baylor fans drive to the game on game day and then drive home after the game, spending how much money?

Not to mention that baptists don't drink.

stoopified
12/5/2011, 04:53 PM
Not to mention that baptists don't drink. :D

Jammin'
12/5/2011, 04:55 PM
We finished 4th in the conference and overall, and got selected by the bowl who had the #4 pick.

Texass finished 6th in the conference and overall, and got selected by the bowl who had the #5 pick.

MU finished ahead of them, but ended up getting passed up by everyone else in the conference.

What is the big deal?

This is the correct answer. And **** MU.

Jacie
12/5/2011, 05:13 PM
The Holiday would much rather have Texas than OU. Big disappointment of a season for OU. Texas actually improved and hasn't been to a bowl since '09 and they have a huge fanbase. More likely to show up than OU fans. Cotton Bowl gets a top 10 team that will show up in droves. OSU in the Fiesta. A&M had a terrible year. All of the Big 12 Bowl bids make perfect sense to me.

I can accept that the state univerisity of Texas with it's 50,000 students might have a larger traveling fanbase than the state university of Oklahoma with less than 20,000 students. I question that sa*et actually improved in 2011. Better record than last year but the wins over BYU and a&m were by a combined 3 points and could easily have gone the other way, and they would've repeated 5-7.

KABOOKIE
12/5/2011, 08:04 PM
This topic is like arguing over the color of the toilet.

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 08:16 PM
Everyone knows it's a Rick Perry Rally. He's gonna flip the coin.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2011, 08:22 PM
I can accept that the state univerisity of Texas with it's 50,000 students might have a larger traveling fanbase than the state university of Oklahoma with less than 20,000 students. I question that sa*et actually improved in 2011. Better record than last year but the wins over BYU and a&m were by a combined 3 points and could easily have gone the other way, and they would've repeated 5-7.

It may have improved in record only, but that's enough since they didn't go bowling last year. Fans that would have turned their noses up to the Holiday bowl a couple years ago are just happy to be invited this year.

sooneron
12/5/2011, 08:40 PM
Since when has OU had < 20k students? I'm not sure if it was that few back in the 80's when I was there...

ATX Sooner
12/5/2011, 09:18 PM
Everyone knows it's a Rick Perry Rally. He's gonna flip the coin.

And then he would have made everyone pray.

And then he would have said "oops".

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:38 PM
A better question is how has Texas managed to continually be ranked in the top 25?!

sooner59
12/5/2011, 10:12 PM
Since when has OU had < 20k students? I'm not sure if it was that few back in the 80's when I was there...

Students 30,303
Undergraduates 20,892
Postgraduates 9,411

oudavid1
12/5/2011, 11:50 PM
Students 30,303
Undergraduates 20,892
Postgraduates 9,411

Dang, UCO has only 5,000 less than OU. I hope we never go D1.

Peeb
12/6/2011, 12:00 AM
In college football the answer to most questions always leads back to this task:

Follow the money.

It's a dirty and sad truth.