PDA

View Full Version : Its Iowa in the Insight Bowl

Dan Thompson
12/5/2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.dailyiowan.com/2011/12/05/Sports/26223.html

GreenSooner
12/5/2011, 10:51 AM
Ah! The benefits of not having a playoff system! Teams like this year's OU squad get to play teams like this year's Iowa squad in storied, traditional bowl games like the Insight Bowl (".com"-free since 2002!) in front of a national tv audience of hundreds!

SoonerStud615
12/5/2011, 10:56 AM
I think it's a tell tale sign of how sh*tty this bowl game is when its url is http://www.fiestabowl.org/insight-bowl (http://www.fiestabowl.org/insight-bowl) Not even their own domain. :Facepalm:

SoonerPride
12/5/2011, 11:59 AM
I will still watch the game.

SoonerKnight
12/5/2011, 12:06 PM
That is funny ****!

badger
12/5/2011, 12:08 PM
OU > Iowa State > Iowa

BUT

Iowa State > OSU > OU

:mad: poke logic is sooo fallible

virginiasooner
12/5/2011, 12:10 PM
And the 10 pm start time is very convenient for me, because hubby and I will be going to the Caps game that night, and by the time we get home, the game starts!

But seriously, a 10pm Eastern time start? What moron thought this was a good idea?

GreenSooner
12/5/2011, 12:14 PM
I will still watch the game.

So will I (it should go without saying!).

cvsooner
12/5/2011, 01:24 PM
Because 10 pm Eastern is 8 pm Mountain Time and it's a Friday night in Tempe. The game is more for the locals. Means a 7 pm start out here in California. I'm good with it.

virginiasooner
12/5/2011, 01:30 PM
Because 10 pm Eastern is 8 pm Mountain Time and it's a Friday night in Tempe. The game is more for the locals. Means a 7 pm start out here in California. I'm good with it.

Well, the bar (BWW) that hosts our DC watch parties won't be particularly happy with it. It may be a Friday night, but chances are no one will be around because they're off work and out of town. I'm not much of a night owl. I may make it to halftime.

NormanPride
12/5/2011, 01:47 PM
If it's for the locals, then why does nobody show up to the games?

MamaMia
12/5/2011, 02:24 PM
So...we are playing Coach Stoops alma mater, and a passing team no less. Yay! :(

badger
12/5/2011, 04:37 PM
Funny story on Iowa: The year before Nebby defected (I think 2009) and we went on to have a Bammer-like performance in the field goal department en route to a Lincoln loss in front of all of those hospitable nicey Husker fans, we were in an Omaha bar.

At said Omaha bar, we were watching the early games of the day (OU-Nebbish was a night game) and there were a few Hawkeye fans in the booth next door watching their game. They, like Bammer and Texas, were undefeated at the time and were looking at national title hopes. We told em that they needed to go beat Texas in the national title game. They agreed, we drank beers, jolly good fun.

And then, their studly starting quarterback (Stanzi I think his name was?) went down with some type of major injury in front of all of us to see at the same time on our separate booth TVs.

(pause)

Next booth over: F***!

It was the funniest thing ever. You had to be there :)

Caboose
12/5/2011, 08:27 PM
Ah! The benefits of not having a playoff system! Teams like this year's OU squad get to play teams like this year's Iowa squad in storied, traditional bowl games like the Insight Bowl (".com"-free since 2002!) in front of a national tv audience of hundreds!

What matchup would OU have gotten this year in your proposed playoff system?

GreenSooner
12/5/2011, 09:11 PM
What matchup would OU have gotten this year in your proposed playoff system?

Probably none...but we wouldn't have deserved one. And though I'll enjoy watching the OU-Iowa game, I'm not much looking forward to the BCS "Championship" or any of the other meaningless bowls. Overall I'd much rather have watched a playoff. And I'd be perfectly willing to accept that OU needs to pay the consequences of finishing fourth in the Big XII.